Some Questions of Trevor

Post questions or suggestions here.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

kowtaaia wrote:
Manjusri asked, "World-Honored One, what is the state of the unconditioned?"

The Buddha said, "The absence of thought is the state of the unconditioned."

DQ: What the Buddha is saying here is aligned with what he said above. "It is the state of no-thought, because all thoughts are equal."

The Buddha obviously isn't referring to complete thoughtlessness here, in the sense that an enlightened person ceases thinking altogether. That would be stupid. No, he is referring instead to the profound truth that, along with everything else in the Universe, thoughts lack inherent existence as well. Thoughts have always been fundamentally non-existent since the very beginning.

K: Oh, so when the Buddha said: "The absence of thought is the state of the unconditioned.", he really didn't mean what he was saying! He must have been using one of those 'turn of phrases' that Dan mentioned.

He meant it in the same way that he meant all the other things he said. If you recall, he said:

It is the state of emptiness, because all views are equal. It is the state of signlessness, because all signs are equal. It is the state of wishlessness, because the three realms are equal. It is the state of nonaction, because all actions are equal. It is the state of the unconditioned, because all conditioned things are equal.

Note that he didn't say, "it is a state of non-action because no actions take place". He meant something else entirely, something far more subtle and profound.

DQ: What do you spend your days doing, kowtaaia? Do you try and block out all thought from the mind and make it as blank as possible?

K: Is this another one of those "turn of phrases" that Dan mentioned? Do you understand how ignorant the question is?

Well, why don't you tell us how you go about your day.

K: The problem for you, David, is that even though you intellectually grasp that "ultimate reality" cannot be an experience; you want to be there with awareness exploding out of your head into infinity. Thusly, this ridiculousness: "I am a highly logical thinker who spends his days immersing himself in the Infinite."

DQ: Immersing oneself in the Infinite simply means no longer being spellbound by finite forms.

K: The original 'turn of phrase'!

I was directly pointing!

K: You are caught in the Dzogchen trap and you don't even know it. There are just too many quotes of the Buddha that dismiss your type of nonsense, to even bother posting them.

DQ: I make a distinction between enlightenment (the realization of emptiness) and ignorance, which places me directly at odds with Dzogchen's view that everyone is already enlightened.

K: A distinction? Hui Neng would have been so disappointed in you.

I rather doubt it, since he also made the distinction between enlightenment and ignorance. That is why he accepted the seal of enlightenment from his own teacher, and why he sent the rest of his life trying to enlighten others.

The fact that non-duality does not begin or end anywhere doesn't mean that there is no distinction between enlightenment and ignorance. Understanding non-duality is enlightenment; misunderstanding it is ignorance.

By the way, your translation of Hui Neng's poetry, stinks.

From memory:

There never was a Bodhi Tree,
Nor bright mirror standing.
Fundamentally, not one thing exists,
So where is there dust to cling?

Do you understand why the above translation points directly to truth and why the one that you posted, does not?
My one reads:

There is no Bodhi-tree,
Nor stand of a mirror bright.
Since all is Empty,
Where can the dust alight?

You're chasing shadows. They both point to the same fundamental truth of emptiness. The reason why all is empty is because, fundamentally, not one thing exists.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Kow wrote:
David is confusing the manifestation of the non-dual with enlightenment. Although there is no enlightenment without that manifestation, the manifestation ends when thought again arises. Enlightenment doesn't mean an ongoing state of non-duality.
On the contrary, I have been saying that enlightenment involves realizing that non-duality cannot manifest at all, an idea which you have been opposing. It has been the crux of our debate all along.

It is a worry when the person one is having a discussion with doesn't even seem to be aware of what he thinks or what he is arguing against. It makes for a confusing conversation!

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

unwise wrote:
The Koans and the other techniques are OBVIOUSLY used to shut the mind off. To confuse it into non activity. To blow it up.
LOL!! Such hatred for the human mind!

It would be interesting to chart the experiences and pathways that a person goes through in order to reach the point that he wants to blow his own mind up. There must be pretty life-shattering experiences there, I'd imagine.

-
Bo

Post by Bo »

Anyone who has actually worked with koans know that it is an exercise which the intellect is unable to solve.

Working on a koan is a teaching between student and Roshi in any case.
Bo

Post by Bo »

David Quinn wrote:The reason why all is empty is because, fundamentally, not one thing exists.

-
Except apparently the enlightened David Quinn.

Even logically, just intellectually itself (and you live in your head completely), these inconsistencies are glaring.
Bo

Post by Bo »

David Quinn wrote: It is the state of emptiness, because all views are equal. It is the state of signlessness, because all signs are equal. It is the state of wishlessness, because the three realms are equal. It is the state of nonaction, because all actions are equal. It is the state of the unconditioned, because all conditioned things are equal.

Note that he didn't say, "it is a state of non-action because no actions take place". He meant something else entirely, something far more subtle and profound.
-
David - you are just quoting anything that supports your argument and ignoring all the rest.

Here's the basics:

One of the cornerstones of the Buddhist teaching is anatta, annica and dukkha.

The Buddha taught that all conditoned things are subject to cessation.

He taught that the path to the Deathless/Unconditioned is through heedfulness.

The anatta principle is based on the premise that the Five Aggregates are not-self. The Five Aggregates are form, perception, consciousness, sensation and mental aggregates (thoughts).

You are led by your thoughts, owned by your thoughts, you ARE your thoughts and yet you go on arguing and thinking you have some great enlightenment when you can't even see that you just owned by these thoughts (in some corners of the world called delusion). You are right in that thoughts in themself are not a problem, but being owned by them, being them (they are your identity by the way), believing every word of them - well, that's another matter.

The annica principle is that of impermanence. All things arise, abide and cease. To that end things are empty of inherent existence. This does not mean nothing exists or that things don't matter. And to that end also, this 'me' you are obsessed with is also just an everchanging entity. There is no 'David Quinn', but it does not mean that there is no you, who is reading this now. Yet you are obsessed with and owned by this ravishing identity you are in love with, David Quinn, the great enlightened. The kensho you love and talk about is not a matter a Roshi would bat an eye lid over - it is not an infrequent occurrence and it is just one small step, a part of a much wider framework.

The dukkha principle is to look at and pay attention to your own mind. Dogen Zenji said to study Buddhism is to study the self, to study the self is to forget the self, to forget the self is to be enlightened by the ten thousand dhammas.

Yet it is clear that you are completely fixated by yourself. That is not uncommon perhaps and that is why kowtaaia kindly points out to you that only observation of this 'me' can form a crack in this darkness, let some light in.

In the Buddhist teaching, again there is the BASICS of the relative and ultimate. You talk about profound and ultimate and all this, without understanding the relationship between the two, or the wonderful interplay that these two represent. It is neither one or the other.

I mean really there is almost no comprehension of even the most basic fundamentals of Buddhism. And nearly all your points are so off base.

I really understand why you do not like any other Buddhists and find all the traditions and teachers to be 'rubbish' or 'fakes' because the fact is that any, ANY Buddhist who even knows the basics of Buddhism, could sense that you have no comprehension at all of nearly any aspect of the teachings.
Perhaps by justifying it as 'the rest of the world is crazy except for me' it helps you with cultivating your sense of security and most importantly identity of the 'great David Quinn'.

(Incidentally since you only accept references that you think agree with your own view it is also a waste of time. Even the Hakuin quote you have used above does not support your assertions but I'm happy for you to be the only person who has it right)

BASICS of Awakening

Dhamma lead to dispassion and to being unfettered — for the standard test for a genuine experience of Awakening is that it arises from dispassion and cuts the fetters of the mind.

"There are these ten fetters... Self-identity views, uncertainty, grasping at precepts and practices, sensual desire, and ill will. These are the five lower fetters. And which are the five higher fetters? Passion for form, passion for what is formless, conceit, restlessness, and ignorance. These are the five higher fetters."

If you try to say to anyone that you are without these fetters, well perhaps even you might feel suspicious of such a thought?

And this is what we say:
Emptiness is form. Form is emptiness. Emptiness is emptiness. Form is form.
It exists.
It does not exist.
It both exists and does not exist.
It neither exists nor does not exist.
You could do it if you wanted to.

Well wishes,
Bo
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Bo,
One of the cornerstones of the Buddhist teaching is anatta, annica and dukkha.
Oh shit, someone who is using a different language! Watch out, he probably knows something!
The Buddha taught that all conditoned things are subject to cessation.

He taught that the path to the Deathless/Unconditioned is through heedfulness.

The anatta principle is based on the premise that the Five Aggregates are not-self. The Five Aggregates are form, perception, consciousness, sensation and mental aggregates (thoughts).
I agree that these could be considered the basics. Here is a question, though...what is capable of being heedful when form, perception, consciousness, sensation and the workings of the mind are not me? Here are some more questions: What is capable of being deathless or unconditioned? What is capable of walking the path? How can there even be a path, since without a walker there is no path?
You are led by your thoughts, owned by your thoughts, you ARE your thoughts and yet you go on arguing and thinking you have some great enlightenment when you can't even see that you just owned by these thoughts (in some corners of the world called delusion).
It's obvious to me as well that David is unenlightened. Yet who cares? This is a discussion on what certain things mean, not whether he's enlightened or not.

Your writing is particularly full of fetters.
- Scott
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

sschaula wrote:
Who cares about enlightenment? What about truth, which IS nonduality!

There is no manifestation of the non-dual.
The state of truth is the manifestation of the non-dual. For you and David, the non-dual is just an idea. In your case, it's probably not even that.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Is "Duality" the "manifestation" of "Non-Duality" ?

Is the Cosmos intelligent ?
kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

David Quinn wrote:
DQ: What do you spend your days doing, kowtaaia? Do you try and block out all thought from the mind and make it as blank as possible?

K: Is this another one of those "turn of phrases" that Dan mentioned? Do you understand how ignorant the question is?

Well, why don't you tell us how you go about your day.
It's irrelevant. You say that you spend your days 'immersing yourself in the infinite' and you're as ignorant as they come. You talk about things that you have no understanding of.

David Quinn wrote:
K: The problem for you, David, is that even though you intellectually grasp that "ultimate reality" cannot be an experience; you want to be there with awareness exploding out of your head into infinity. Thusly, this ridiculousness: "I am a highly logical thinker who spends his days immersing himself in the Infinite."

DQ: Immersing oneself in the Infinite simply means no longer being spellbound by finite forms.

K: The original 'turn of phrase'!

I was directly pointing!
You're funny.
David Quinn wrote: Understanding non-duality is enlightenment; misunderstanding it is ignorance.
This has become a terrible waste of time. You don't even understand the basics.
David Quinn wrote:
By the way, your translation of Hui Neng's poetry, stinks.

From memory:

There never was a Bodhi Tree,
Nor bright mirror standing.
Fundamentally, not one thing exists,
So where is there dust to cling?

Do you understand why the above translation points directly to truth and why the one that you posted, does not?
My one reads:

There is no Bodhi-tree,
Nor stand of a mirror bright.
Since all is Empty,
Where can the dust alight?

You're chasing shadows. They both point to the same fundamental truth of emptiness. The reason why all is empty is because, fundamentally, not one thing exists.
It's right in front of your face and you don't see it! Your quote is dusty. :)
kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

David Quinn wrote:Kow wrote:
David is confusing the manifestation of the non-dual with enlightenment. Although there is no enlightenment without that manifestation, the manifestation ends when thought again arises. Enlightenment doesn't mean an ongoing state of non-duality.
On the contrary, I have been saying that enlightenment involves realizing that non-duality cannot manifest at all, an idea which you have been opposing. It has been the crux of our debate all along.

It is a worry when the person one is having a discussion with doesn't even seem to be aware of what he thinks or what he is arguing against. It makes for a confusing conversation!

-
God, you're desperate! Just because you're deluded and arguing a point, doesn't mean that your deluded phraseology has to be used. So, don't worry. :)

Your "enlightenment involves realizing that non-duality cannot manifest at all" is completely absurd. You're making up this nonsense as you go along, eh? There's no point in wasting time, giving quotes from the Buddha that dismiss your nonsense, because as already evidenced, you interpret everything to mean that you're right, anyways. Stay asleep and dream that you're awake, if that floats your boat.

The bottom line, David, is that you're not interested in truth, at all. You're only interested in impressing the stupid and the gullible and living in a fantasy world.
kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

Kunga wrote:Is "Duality" the "manifestation" of "Non-Duality" ?
No. Duality is the movement called thought whose reality is the psychological phenomenon.

Carl G

Post by Carl G »

kowtaaia,

By your manner of arm-flapping, you show veering from the path. Crowing about what others do not understand -- crowing -- isn't befitting of the path.

Attitude is important. It would be wise for you to work on quieting yourself, so you may transcend crowhood.
Good Citizen Carl
kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

You guys don't like being called on your bullshit. Living in intellectual fantasy, ain't where it's at.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

kowtaaia wrote:You guys don't like being called on your bullshit. Living in intellectual fantasy, ain't where it's at.
Kaw Kaw

Crowtaaia
Good Citizen Carl
kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

Wow! Is that ever clever! At least you're consistent in your stupidity.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Anyway, they don't want it nice in here. They want philosophy to be like a drunken brawl in here.
On the one hand there are sharp comments and retorts which are not offensive:

Or alternatively, you can jump up and down, flap your arms about and scream at me about how deluded I am.

Thusly, this ridiculousness: "I am a highly logical thinker who spends his days immersing himself in the Infinite."

You guys are living in a fantasy.

Don't ignore a true direct pointing, for the sake of backing up your ridiculous argument.

You're chasing shadows.

It is a worry when the person one is having a discussion with doesn't even seem to be aware of what he thinks or what he is arguing against.

you're as ignorant as they come. You talk about things that you have no understanding of.

Versus calling people stupid and engaging in this:

sticking to and emphasizing the same string of words over and over, creating a situation where the reader has no choice but to ask some questions, only to get condescending and ineffective responses
Truth is a pathless land.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Everyone has an organic sensation in which they are most driven to abide and maintain. This "sense" of things - this total feeling - is not only not-excluded from thought, but is indeed made-up of thought as it resides in the body. So don't be worrying about locating your "mind." You think with your whole organism.

Everyone is busy about maintaining their organic sense of things, even and especially as new data comes in (or is refused entrance). This, that I will call a "subjective equilibrium," is just that -- private to each organism, and defended and abided within, regardless of what it consists, be it drugs or truth. In no way does "equilibrium" mean to imply "balance" - except as it refers to the individual organism. Some people's "balance" may come from its being upset, again and again, or upsetting the subjective equilibrium of others whilst defending their own. This last might describe what people are doing arguing on a philosophy forum.

For the quick-take, Kierkegaard's thunderous statement that "Truth is subjectivity."

David Quinn assembles here those descriptive features that best answer to the equilibrium he most desires: the portions of Buddhism that he finds significant to his sense of things; the nurturing of his other sense-making sentiments, such as a dismissal of the feminine (and women); the admiration of a group of philosophers held together by heroic sentiment more than shared substance; and he is especially fond of the sensations that come from the words "truth" and "sage;" he has a high, if not worshipful estimation of the work of human reasoning, and most everything modern in thought is not to his tastes -- it upsets his equilibrium. David's equilibrium requires that what he has subjectively gathered be objectively existent, which means he assumes what he has gathered will stand as objective truth after his organism is gone.

David knows the Kierkegaard quote above, as he has correctly stated on numerous occasions that nothing takes place outside of the mind. Yet David's equilibrium requires that what is taking place inside of his mind is indeed outside of it for all to see, and even eternally. With such a cobbled assortment of his sense of things, he has lots of defending to do of his overall view. Frankly, I admire the project for its effort and complexity. At least a great deal of his substance is high-caliber, even if it contains its own internal contradictions. Show me an entirely non-contradictory human being, or system that comes from one of them.

I have found, through the year or so I've posted (and the two or so I read), that David is one of the most romantic philosophs I've encountered in modern times. Kevin even moreso. They both seem to hold high sentiments for heroes and sages and self-isolated beings; the thoughts and work of the old. David's equilibrium runs as much on sentiment as it does substance, and this has been helpful to understand when reading him. This site is representative of his sense of things, and so even though a great seriousness can attach itself to philosophy, it must be remembered that it comes from David (and I guess Kevin) alone. David and Kevin's "objective" truths will not be here after they are gone. They can only reside in the equilibrium of another human being after them who takes them on to the letter. Truth is subjectivity.

There are other things to do with this forum than argue against David's subjective equilibrium. You could post a little of your own.

btw, everyone who is arguing koans as conceptual-sickness breakers are supporting everything I've known about it, too. David's high- and even worshipful estimation of reason is preventing him from taking this on. It upsets his subjective equilibrium. It is interesting to note, though, that reason itself is what directed the koan masters to this idea in the first place.

No escape :) and I am a great lover of human reason as well. Paradoxically, it makes sense to me that we can get sick from it, too, and need a great heaving smack of something hard and concrete to snap us back to the sparkling clarity of the present. It's all right here. Words are both our detour and our celebration of it.

sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Kow,
The state of truth is the manifestation of the non-dual.
Truth is what is. Nonduality is what is. States are manifestations of what is.
For you and David, the non-dual is just an idea.
The first part of your assumption is false, because you said "for you and David".
In your case, it's probably not even that.
:)
- Scott
kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

Beam yourself up, Scotty! Surely there must be a thread about killing people, that you could post on. ;)
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Did you understand what I wrote?
- Scott
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Kow says nonduality is the absence of thought. Perhaps he means to say that a human being experiences nonduality only when they achieve a time period of no thought.

This causes David to say that "such a belief destroys the very identity of non-duality by turning it into a duality. "

David thinks Kow doesn't understand that nonduality is the real state of affairs at all times and situations.

David continues,
I asked if you believed thought was a part of non-duality or separate from it.
Within the totality, which is nondual, there are thoughts. But for the individual person, while he is experiencing thought, he is not experiencing the unconditioned state.
When thought is absent, you say, non-duality is there. They are two separate, distinct things in your mind.
I wonder if that is really what Kow is saying. Probably he is speaking to the inner experience of an individual. What we perceive at a given moent. It seems to me this goes to my own suppsitions about the difference between intellectual understanding, and the experiential. They can overlap. A really fine intellectual insight can bring experience with it. But there are gaps in nature, a jump from one state or position to another, and I think there is such a gap between experience and thought.

What most people seem to be talking about re enlightenment, is reaching a state of pure being. That is not thought, cannot be thought. Thought is a derivitive of pure being. It takes a being to think thoughts. Thoughts exist within being. Ultimate truth is not words or thoughts, because those are a division. About ultimate truth no words can be spoken, because any word is inferior.

I have a very active mind myself, highly bound up with my ego. I have figured out that my ego, a very dutiful sentinel, is afraid that if it lets go for any moment, it will die, and will cause me, whom it protects vigilantly, to die.

It is entirely possible to hold thought, rationality and logic in very high regard and yet also see the great utility in laying it aside for a brief time. So as to experience pure being, after which the ability to think will not only be quite undamaged, but even refreshed.

More David,
Enlightenment occurs, and the experience is attained, in the very moment that one's intellectual understanding of Reality sheds all flaws and becomes perfected.
You're talking about the mystical experience/altered state here, which is a lesser attainment to kensho.
This disparagement of what you call mystical or altered states is confusing to me. Lack of access to altered states is a source of psychic pain to humans. Altered states indicate a bigger piece of the reality pie. Why be stuck in default survival brain? What could possibly bring on the cleansing of the intellectual understanding but the breakthrough into a different way of perception?

Or, we could live in a valley and make an immense amount of study of exactly what the scenery would look like atop yonder mountain, and make some pretty great guesses, but if you get up there and have a look, none of the many mathematical calculations and insights of those below will be needed. You've got the view from the heights, everything looks different now, and your thoughts will follow until they are in accord with what you see.
Thoughts have always been fundamentally non-existent since the very beginning.
A good argument for going deeper into reality than thought.

Neems,
The Koans and the other techniques are OBVIOUSLY used to shut the mind off. To confuse it into non activity.
That is certainly my impression.

But David said,
Such hatred for the human mind!

It is nothing of the sort. Can't the poor thing have a moment's respite?

(Unwise)Someone said you had made an impossible statement, and I assume this is it: (They would like you to come begging for the explanation.)
enlightenment is a state in which thought does not arise (and one is aware that thought is not arising).

Would you care to elaborate on lack of thought but yet with awareness of one's state?

I would like nothing better than to think my way to enlightenment, but it is probably a stalling tactic to avoid ego death.

Scott said,
Here is a koan for you: if no thought arises how are you coming up with all of this?
You don't abide in that state permanently.
A person has to make the journey themselves to be able to understand. Otherwise there's no understanding.
Yeah, there's the rub.
To put it in the most honest terms that I can: you have to see that it's all a bunch of bullshit (every single bit of it!) to be able to say what I have said.
That may not even make sense.
It does make sense.
Here is a question, though...what is capable of being heedful when form, perception, consciousness, sensation and the workings of the mind are not me? Here are some more questions: What is capable of being deathless or unconditioned? What is capable of walking the path? How can there even be a path, since without a walker there is no path?
Very good questions.

David said,
Alright let's restate that.

-Note that he didn't say, "it is a state of non-thought because no thoughts take place."

So you're saying thoughts take place, but always abiding in the understanding of emptiness. But does that negate that the state of supreme enlightenment = the unconditioned = no-thought?

This seems to be the most important aspect of this whole argument. Can a state of no-thought occur? David has maintained in the past that it cannot. But if it can, it is obviously of great value.

I don't see a difference in the two koans either. I wonder how long we'll have to beg before he tells us.

Nice post, Pye.

I decided to reduce the Buddha garden story to its essentials:

What is the state of Buddhahood?

It is not in the senses or the mind, not in forms or mental objects.

It is a nonstate.

But what is the state of supreme enlightenment?

It is emptiness; it is the unconditioned.

What is the state of the unconditioned?

It is the state of the absence of thought.
Last edited by Iolaus on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Truth is a pathless land.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Bo wrote:Anyone who has actually worked with koans know that it is an exercise which the intellect is unable to solve.

Working on a koan is a teaching between student and Roshi in any case.
While this is true and not many here would dispute the remark, it seems way off in the context of the discussion. The koan is not supposed to be 'solved' (duh!) but the koan tradition is without doubt a heavy intellectual tool, unusual perhaps but not attempting to shut down anything.

David Quinn said it very well a while ago and I dug it up out of the archives because it's worthy to repeat and to ponder.
David Quinn wrote:(...) A punchline is nothing without the rest of the joke, and in the same way, a Zen saying is nothing without the intellectual foundations which have been set up beforehand. The religion of Zen has made a ludicrous religion out of worshipping punchlines. We don't have to perpetuate that madness by doing the same.

A genuine Zen master introduces his Zen sayings informally and unobtrusively. He slides them into a situation unexpectantly, shocking the listener and stimulating his mind into greater insight. He doesn't loudly announce beforehand, "Attention everyone! I am about to introduce a Zen saying". It is the novelty and unexpectedness of the skilfully-introduced Zen saying which unsettles the mind and does its magic.
Other traditions have used similar techniques, the Judaic Talmud contains them, some of Jesus his sayings when looked at with historical context and some of the double meanings of the words which the more mindful people around him could pick up on could also shock and stimulate - 'excite' the mind into going into a higher, more intuitive mode but still highly rational by all means.

Repeating them as some "student material" is a sign of Elvis having left the building.

kowtaaia

Post by kowtaaia »

sschaula wrote:Did you understand what I wrote?
It was English, right? If you want a comment, then here it is:

You, the self, are the reality of illusion, the what is right now. Truth/non-duality is what is only when it is manifest. Otherwise, it's just an idea.

Iolaus,

There's no point in responding to you. It seems that you haven't read the posts. Suffice to say though, one thing that David and kow both agree on, is that non-duality is not, cannot be an experience. Your other errors are not going to be corrected. If however, this:
Iolaus wrote:I don't see a difference in the two koans either. I wonder how long we'll have to beg before he tells us.

refers to the Hui Neng poems, then the glaring difference has already been pointed out.