Space.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Is.

Space.

Post by Is. »

Hello!

Please take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yehN-WUr5rY

Most spiritual people say there is no separation; that everything that appear separate aren't actually like independent entities but more like waves, which connects or fuses them with everything else seamlessly. Non-separation might even be the very definion of spirituality.

But if we look at this video, doesn't it seem like the droplet is somehow self-contained? That it, it is space in between the water and the droplet; there is no link between them, connecting them - doesn't that make the water and the droplet separate?

Most people these days agree that there is actually no time. That's not even controversial anymore. The Power of Now, and all that. But it takes some real guts and wisdom to suggest that there is no space.

What is your reason, if any, for non-separation? For why there is actually no space? The reason may be either philosophical or scientific, or both. Please use the example of the water and the water droplet.

Cheers, and thanks!
cousinbasil

Re: Space.

Post by cousinbasil »

Most people these days agree that there is actually no time.
Or not enough of it, anyway.
Is.

Post by Is. »

Some people answer the question like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNxZn5um ... re=related
Blair

Post by Blair »

And he would be mistaken in his new-age pap drivel.

Consciousness (or the lack thereof) does not reside outside of the skull.
overmyhead

Post by overmyhead »

That's not what he said.

Although I do disagree with a lot of what he was saying.
overmyhead

Post by overmyhead »

Saying that things are interconnected is not the same as saying that things are essentially a featureless jello. Boundaries exist, but they are not absolute. There is certainly contrast - that is the basis of all discrimination. I don't have an answer why ...
Is. wrote:Most people these days agree that there is actually no time. That's not even controversial anymore. The Power of Now, and all that. But it takes some real guts and wisdom to suggest that there is no space.
Oh yay, nihilism. It is a popular trend in theoretical physics to say there is no time. I suppose there's no monitor which I'm not looking at right now, because there's no me. It's nonsensical. Things are what they are. Time is time. Space is space.

It is said that time and space are illusions. But that does not mean they are not real.
Is.

Post by Is. »

overmyhead wrote:Saying that things are interconnected is not the same as saying that things are essentially a featureless jello. Boundaries exist, but they are not absolute. There is certainly contrast - that is the basis of all discrimination.
That is what fascinates me. How is this possible?

If you take a look at the video I posted, it definitely seem like the droplet is a self-contained entity, and if it is a self-contained entity it can't be interconnected. (A self contained entity because it has space all around it, or so it seems.) Then all of the sudden it just disappears though, which means that it couldn't possibly be a self-contained entity. It's all very odd, isn't it?
Blair

Post by Blair »

overmyhead wrote:
That's not what he said.
Not in so many words, but his whole statement is based around the false premise that consciousness is a shared field of awareness, although he himself does not fully understand that is what he is implying.

Consciousness is an anomoly of nature occuring in the form of the brain, causality dictates the level of that consciousness, from sentience (perception of reality), to genius (perception of the nature of reality).
jufa

Post by jufa »

Space is the life blood of the universe moving within a Something that is unknown. The human body itself is a replica of what space is on a meltdown scale.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
Blair

Post by Blair »

Ok, you keep believing it, shitweasel! You get to be like Laird. Prospects for enlightenment.

Bye now
jufa

Post by jufa »

prince wrote:Ok, you keep believing it, shitweasel! You get to be like Laird. Prospects for enlightenment.

Bye now
When a persons height will not allow them to reach no higher than their ankles, please watch where you step people, it is not a bug down there it an animal. If you step on it, you just might be charged with cruelty to animals or murder.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
paco

Post by paco »

JUST TO ADD.

m\ WHY DO SUPPOSE. BECAUSE ITT \
SORRY! THIS PROCESS IS JUST A=A. I REGENERATED IT.
I am illiterate
paco

Post by paco »

Is. wrote:
overmyhead wrote:Saying that things are interconnected is not the same as saying that things are essentially a featureless jello. Boundaries exist, but they are not absolute. There is certainly contrast - that is the basis of all discrimination.
That is what fascinates me. How is this possible?

If you take a look at the video I posted, it definitely seem like the droplet is a self-contained entity, and if it is a self-contained entity it can't be interconnected. (A self contained entity because it has space all around it, or so it seems.) Then all of the sudden it just disappears though, which means that it couldn't possibly be a self-contained entity. It's all very odd, isn't it?
Is.,

I don't get it. What is this drop got to do with anything?

I think it's just. Wow.
I am illiterate
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

prince wrote:Consciousness is an anomoly of nature occuring in the form of the brain, causality dictates the level of that consciousness, from sentience (perception of reality), to genius (perception of the nature of reality).
So that explains the breadth and depth of human achievement? An anomaly of nature?
jufa

Post by jufa »

cousinbasil wrote:
prince wrote:Consciousness is an anomoly of nature occuring in the form of the brain, causality dictates the level of that consciousness, from sentience (perception of reality), to genius (perception of the nature of reality).
So that explains the breadth and depth of human achievement? An anomaly of nature?
No Cousinbasil it does not explain anything but ones stubborness to speak words without definition for or about the words they speak.

And no, it does not explain the breadth and depth of human achievement because even in hollywood it is stated in order for movie to be complete it must have three dimensions, length, breadth, and height, so it is with life and living. And I put forth in order for any one of these dimensions to have dominance over the other cannot be left out of the equation because each dimension is dependent upon the balance of the other to function equally with normacy of volume.

cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

jufa wrote:And no, it does not explain the breadth and depth of human achievement because even in hollywood it is stated in order for movie to be complete it must have three dimensions, length, breadth, and height,
And still you need those special 3D glasses.
Blair

Post by Blair »

cousinbasil wrote:
You mean Motor Car as people-mover, or poisoner of environment...?
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

prince wrote:You mean Motor Car as people-mover, or poisoner of environment...?
I meant Indoor Plumbing. And don't say "poisoner of environment" again, it's moronic. The shit has to go somewhere. Besides, that would be implying that the very concept of carbon footprint was made by a mere anomaly, as was the Golden Gate Bridge and a few lunar landings. I am not claiming to have answers, but at least I do not dismiss the questions.
jufa

Post by jufa »

cousinbasil wrote:
jufa wrote:And no, it does not explain the breadth and depth of human achievement because even in hollywood it is stated in order for movie to be complete it must have three dimensions, length, breadth, and height,
What was used before 3Dglasses? There still was the length, breadth, and height.

cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

jufa wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:
What was used before 3Dglasses? There still was the length, breadth, and height.

Uh, it was a joke? Referring to the fact that movies are 2D...?
Blair

Post by Blair »

cousinbasil wrote:
prince wrote:You mean Motor Car as people-mover, or poisoner of environment...?
I meant Indoor Plumbing. And don't say "poisoner of environment" again, it's moronic. The shit has to go somewhere.
If by "that shit" you mean emissions, yes it goes somewhere, up into the atmosphere, hence damaged ozone. Hence humans being an anomaly, (destroying the ecosystem that gave rise to and sustains them)
cousinbasil wrote: the very concept of carbon footprint was made by a mere anomaly,
Does nature care if your house and belongings are wiped out, and your children drown in a tsunami.

Stamp your feet, be indignant, but at the end of the day, nature don't give a rat's ass.

Anomaly.
psychoactive

Post by psychoactive »

As I see it, an anomaly coming to be in the flow of universal causality is a binary contradiction.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

prince wrote:Stamp your feet, be indignant, but at the end of the day, nature don't give a rat's ass.
I am not indignant - I am impatient. With your inability to see the contradiction in your position.
You say consciousness is anomaly of nature because nature is indifferent to man's efforts at self-preservation. Since all life exhibits characteristics of self-preservation, you must therefore logically regard all life as an anomaly of nature. After all, instead of confining itself to environments with temperate conditions - which it has not exhausted - life has forged its way into more hostile regions and developed mechanisms for adaptation and therefore survival.

But since life is a part of nature, it cannot be an anomaly, as it is found everywhere, even on the bottom of the deepest oceans. Its very ubiquity precludes it from being considered some kind of perturbation in a nonliving world.

But even if it were an anomaly, why has it occurred? Why does all of life differ so markedly from the rest of nature - to the extent that you would consider it an anomaly?
Blair

Post by Blair »

cousinbasil wrote:You say consciousness is anomaly of nature because nature is indifferent to man's efforts at self-preservation. Since all life exhibits characteristics of self-preservation, you must therefore logically regard all life as an anomaly of nature.
Yes, because ultimately there is no life. Nature (and by extension the Totality) ensures that sentience is obliterated. Just as 99.9999% of all species that ever existed on this little blue planet are now extinct. So too will homo-sapien inevitably become extinct. It is a futile endeavour.
cousinbasil wrote:But even if it were an anomaly, why has it occurred?
Because homo-sapiens combined fire with raw carcass meat, which provided a massive injection of protein into the brain, thusly humans were able, to a degree conquer aspects of nature for a while (warmth, shelter, ease of digestion, et cetera..).
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

prince wrote:Yes, because ultimately there is no life. Nature (and by extension the Totality) ensures that sentience is obliterated. Just as 99.9999% of all species that ever existed on this little blue planet are now extinct. So too will homo-sapien inevitably become extinct. It is a futile endeavour.
No links to support this extinction figure, so I will ignore it. And you might as well say that since the sun will go nova one day, I needn't bother going to work today. In an absurdist sense, everything is futile, but so what?