What is Love? Or did we do this before?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Robert

Re: What is Love? Or did we do this before?

Post by Robert »

brokenhead wrote:I have not loved anyone else except for one person a dozen years ago who was the quintessential Woman of the QRS description. That was a total disaster.
bh, you know that someone wants to ask what this "quintessential Woman" was like, so let it be me. Genuinely, what's the story here? She give you the elbow?
Blair

Post by Blair »

brokenhead wrote:OK, that's fine by me. How is it that I am supposed to get humiliated? I make the move, my life turns to shit? My life is about to get better, you loser. I'll tell you what happens. You're on.
Go ahead, tell "us" how your life is going, one day at a time.

I bet you wont, I bet you aren't up to the challenge.

You will humiliate yourself, you already are.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

prince wrote:
brokenhead wrote:OK, that's fine by me. How is it that I am supposed to get humiliated? I make the move, my life turns to shit? My life is about to get better, you loser. I'll tell you what happens. You're on.
Go ahead, tell "us" how your life is going, one day at a time.

I bet you wont, I bet you aren't up to the challenge.

You will humiliate yourself, you already are.
I am up to any challenge your silly little mind can dream up, Prince. And I have no intention of blogging. That's too much effort. But I will resurrect this thread with updates if none of the Triune Godhead that is QRS decides to delete it.

How am I humiliating myself, Prince? Exactly? By making my life better?

Like I said. You're on.
Last edited by brokenhead on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Robert wrote:
brokenhead wrote:I have not loved anyone else except for one person a dozen years ago who was the quintessential Woman of the QRS description. That was a total disaster.
bh, you know that someone wants to ask what this "quintessential Woman" was like, so let it be me. Genuinely, what's the story here? She give you the elbow?
She was a Psychotic Bitch From Hell. She told me so, one of her ex boyfriends had given her the moniker. But she was really, really good-looking. My oh my.

I don't know how old you are, Robert, but you may have read a comic book as a kid called the Swamp Thing. That was what she was like.
Robert

Post by Robert »

How sure are you that returning to this previous woman isn't the Return of the Swamp Thing?
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

The opening post is at odds with the thread title. The title "What is Love?" promises a philosophical discussion of one of the prime human emotions. But the content reads like a personal email.
I am reuniting with a former lover after many years, and I am moving out of state to do so. To Boise, Idaho, in fact. At the ripe old age of fifty-two, we have found each other via the Internet. In fact, I found her last Chritmas Eve, and we have been exchanginging emails like there is no tomorrow. I never stopped loving her, and yet I feel like I am falling in love all over again. Can this be possible? What do y'all think?
I'm like so happy for you.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Carl G wrote:I'm like so happy for you.
Hey thanks, man!

Look, if you want to get philosophical, now is the time to do it.

So far no one has talked me out of it. Don't worry, Carl, this thread will die a natural death in this atmosphere.

With all the theorizing here, I thought a real-life example might be instructive. If I crash and burn, I will say so. I have no ego and no pride. And if things go the way I think they will, I will say that too, as long as Quinn doesn't ban me.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Robert wrote:How sure are you that returning to this previous woman isn't the Return of the Swamp Thing?
Now you've got me worried!
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

broken,
So far no one has talked me out of it.
I would never try. A person in love cannot be talked out of it. If I told him (you) that his lover is a serial murderer and eats people's pets for breakfast, it could not change the way he feels about her. That is because there is no reasoning with love. Did you watch the movie "Original Sin" (Angelina Jolie, Antonio Banderas)? It deals with the issue of how far a person in love is willing to go to be with his lover. The guy in the movie gave up everything he had, including his values.

We have a popular saying in my neck of the woods: There is only one step from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Some lines by Jose Angel Buesa come to mind:

Usted será el crepúsculo a la orilla del mar,
que según quien lo mire será hermoso o vulgar.

Your friend the macaw can tell you what it means.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

[b]Shahrazad[/b] wrote:A person in love cannot be talked out of it.
I have always loved and respected her and I always will. I meant talked out of moving 2,500 miles to be with her.
That is because there is no reasoning with love.
I have had few reasons without it.
Did you watch the movie "Original Sin" (Angelina Jolie, Antonio Banderas)?
No. He's okay, but she is a horrifying mental case.
We have a popular saying in my neck of the woods: There is only one step from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Anyone who has watched the Three Stooges could tell you that.
Usted será el crepúsculo a la orilla del mar,
que según quien lo mire será hermoso o vulgar.
The macaw has flown the coop, so I went to Babelfish:
You will be the twilight to the border of the sea,
that according to watches who it will be beautiful or vulgar

Hey - I think I get that, Shah!
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Q: What is love?

A: Love is a chemical reaction in the brain that includes the release of endorphans.

Talking out of it: Remember that as men age, they get mellower, and as females age, they get more short-tempered. Also, why did you break up before? Once you get back together, the same thing could happen.

It has been proven that married men live longer... but married women die younger.

I don't need to list the positives. Sounds like you have those figured out for yourself.

... and yeah, I think we did do this a few times before.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

broken,
I have always loved and respected her and I always will. I meant talked out of moving 2,500 miles to be with her.
I meant that too. A person in love cannot be talked out of moving or doing anything else to be with their lover.
I have had few reasons without it.
Reasons to what?
He's okay, but she is a horrifying mental case.
In the movie, or in real life?
Anyone who has watched the Three Stooges could tell you that.
Why? There is nothing even slightly sublime about the three stooges.
Hey - I think I get that, Shah!
I would've said "who watches" instead of "watches who".

I make a living as a translator, and I consider myself a good one, but I have never translated a poem. How am I supposed to make it rhyme?

Here's my attempt:

You are like a star that has been shining since the beginning of time
which, depending on who looks at it, is either vulgar or sublime.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Lovers are euphoric over each over, and thereby illogical by definition.

Married People usually settle into a predicable pattern of comfort followed by bouts of insecurity, feuding and emotional tugs of wars. Married people do share moments together that they deem special and happy, but often times these moments can reinforce the ego, rather than making it weaker.

Single people often suffer from loneliness, feelings of sexual inadequacy, isolation, feelings of insanity and ultimately unhappiness.

And finally philosophical thinkers attempt to understand all that mess, and go beyond it.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:And finally philosophical thinkers attempt to understand all that mess, and go beyond it.
We normal thinkers also try to understand all that mess and make sense of life as we find it. We also like to rub tummies once in a while.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Broken, I remind you that you have not answered my questions.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Women are like getting caught in the rain, at first they're fun and exciting, but before you know it you’re caught in a storm.
Leyla Shen

LAND HO!

Post by Leyla Shen »

No way. If women were like storms, I'd be a fanatical lesbian!

Women are pretty boring, generally. :)
Between Suicides
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

brokenhead wrote:I never stopped loving her, and yet I feel like I am falling in love all over again. Can this be possible? What do y'all think?
What the hell are you talking about? Of course it's not possible! How, if you never stopped loving her, can you fall in love all over again?

What's the difference?

And, if you were just being all soppily poetic about it, sod off you silly old git!
Between Suicides
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Leyla Shen wrote:
brokenhead wrote:I never stopped loving her, and yet I feel like I am falling in love all over again. Can this be possible? What do y'all think?
What the hell are you talking about? Of course it's not possible! How, if you never stopped loving her, can you fall in love all over again?

What's the difference?

And, if you were just being all soppily poetic about it, sod off you silly old git!
I was hoping to hear from you.

I don't think I am being sloppily poetic, or even poetic at all.

You say what's the difference? Well, that is what I was hoping to find out from the resident geniuses.

I always thought that falling in love was the result of pheromone exchange. Once that wears off, you either find that you love someone or you do not, that is, reality sets in. So I always thought there was a difference between a mutual love and two people being IN love. But this is what I find so fascinating - I cannot be exchanging pheromones with her because she is 2,000 miles away. I am also more detached than I was the first time, but that may be because I am much older.

Silly old git? You can do better than that, your honor.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Nick Treklis wrote:Women are like getting caught in the rain, at first they're fun and exciting, but before you know it you’re caught in a storm.
And if you aren't protected, you may come down with something.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

[b]Shahrazad[/b] wrote:Reasons to what?
Reasons to do anything. I find love to be more a human need than sex.
In the movie, or in real life?
I like Antonio Banderas in the movies, I have no clue as to what he is like in real life. Angelina Jolie is a monster, both in films and from what I read in the tabloids that I devour, she is a menace to society and should probably be locked up somewhere. I hate her lips. It looks like she was trying to give a blowjob to an industrial vacuum cleaner.
Why? There is nothing even slightly sublime about the three stooges.
They are comic geniuses and they were social satirists way ahead of their time. I see you are unwilling to take that short step that you mentioned.
I make a living as a translator, and I consider myself a good one, but I have never translated a poem. How am I supposed to make it rhyme?

Here's my attempt:

You are like a star that has been shining since the beginning of time
which, depending on who looks at it, is either vulgar or sublime.
I like the translation but to go for the rhyme meant losing the image of the horizon, where the twilight meets the sea, which is a nice image.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Leyla Shen wrote:
Of course it's not possible! How, if you never stopped loving her, can you fall in love all over again?
It's probably very easy for a type of people called "we normal thinkers". They do it all the time!

Seriously though, for men loving seems more based on memory, something shared in the past which can even project into the long-term future, like children and other shared activities. It's valuation based on past familiarity, appreciation of what has been and how you regard the events and feelings so far.

Falling in love is more based on the near future, a matter of expectation. Therefore related to the new and the experiment, a price to win. Something which is not yet the case but might soon be, or something that is happening but might keep happening even more intense! Pheromones mostly encourage this but it can very easily be driven purely by ideals and dreams only, mixed with memories. It's a weird cocktail designed to put you on your toes and falling over at the same time.

So brokenhead, yes, it's possible. After such a time many aspects will be new and you have both changed enough (I presume) to provide new dimensions for a while.

Normally I wouldn't encourage people to chase after dreams of love but in your case it seems like a good choice. Not much to waste really but in your relationship you might discover some reflection of peace nevertheless.

In a way I'm being encouraging, understanding and dismissive all in once. It must be spring...
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:In a way I'm being encouraging, understanding and dismissive all in once. It must be spring...
Thanks, Diebert, and I think you are correct: it is spring.
Last edited by brokenhead on Mon May 04, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sign68

Post by Sign68 »

"Love is a feeling directed at someone which acknowledges their goodness.

Post by gosgirl »

For some love is a the easy, default option, and for others it is the most difficult challenge. The former have a tendency embrace relationships when they probably shouldn't, and it may be difficult for them to stand alone. The latter have a tendency to avoid relationships even when they have the potential to be the best thing in their lives.