15 Sick Logos You Won't Believe

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Tomas

15 Sick Logos You Won't Believe

Post by Tomas »

Multiple Universes

Library of ialexandria

The subject of Multiple Universes was briefly mentioned in Creating Reality, and alluded to in Creating Reality -- Another View. Many of the philosophical thoughts on multiple universes are concerned with "bifurcation points", where decisions by beings of Consciousness cause a splitting of reality, and therefore separate realities continue as if their reality was the only game in town. This tends to decrease the value of making any decision -- although the "Catch 22" is that not making a decision is in fact making a decision about deciding or not. Decidedly so!

-Click website URL for full article-

http://www.halexandria.org/dward408.htm

Last edited by Tomas on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 am, edited 241 times in total.
Don't run to your death
Sapius

Re: Multiple Universes

Post by Sapius »

Tomas wrote:.
Multiple Universes
Library of ialexandria

The subject of Multiple Universes was briefly mentioned in Creating Reality, and alluded to in Creating Reality -- Another View. Many of the philosophical thoughts on multiple universes are concerned with "bifurcation points", where decisions by beings of Consciousness cause a splitting of reality, and therefore separate realities continue as if their reality was the only game in town. This tends to decrease the value of making any decision -- although the "Catch 22" is that not making a decision is in fact making a decision about deciding or not. Decidedly so!
-Click website URL for full article-
http://www.halexandria.org/dward408.htm
It is not clear, however, what happens in an alternative universe when we manifest our visions in this one. Is there a giant, gapping hole in the other one? Or a duplicate of our success? There seems to be no way to tell. But perhaps we can make some guesses.
Since I can’t really decide between the two, I guess it’s limbo for me :D
---------
Steven

Post by Steven »

The latter does, admittedly, assume that one accepts Quantum Mechanics as reality. If not then there’s very little forcing. It’s just that the current data on the subject of reality is that the mathematics of modern Quantum Physics implies multiple universes. What the math does not address is: “Why?”
The answer to this is simple from my perspective, Nature does not get to choose. We ourselves are a part of a probability curve.
Tomas

MRSA Superbug

Post by Tomas »

Wildflower Extracts Easily Kill MRSA Superbug

http://www.naturalnews.com/023373.html

Tomas

In the News

Post by Tomas »

Last edited by Tomas on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Steven wrote:
The latter does, admittedly, assume that one accepts Quantum Mechanics as reality. If not then there’s very little forcing. It’s just that the current data on the subject of reality is that the mathematics of modern Quantum Physics implies multiple universes. What the math does not address is: “Why?”
The answer to this is simple from my perspective, Nature does not get to choose. We ourselves are a part of a probability curve.
Yes, but we choose, don't we? Are we not part of Nature?

Still, my guess is 4 out of 5 QM physicists do not subscribe to the Many Worlds interpretations of QM.
Tomas

Israeli army uproots 500 year old olive grove

Post by Tomas »

Israeli army uproots 500 year old olive grove in Beit Hanina near Jerusalem

Imagine killing 500 year old trees to put up that horrible wall...

see photo

http://www.uruknet.info/.?p=m45108&hd=&size=1&l=e

Tomas

The Destruction of the Inca Empire

Post by Tomas »

The Destruction of the Inca Empire

All because of philosophical ignorance, says Montesquieu

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publicati ... &css=print

Tomas

Circular Theory

Post by Tomas »

The Circular Theory

Circle is Absolute Intelligence

http://www.circular-theory.com

Tomas

Did Jesus Die in India? by Kusum Choppra

Post by Tomas »

Did Jesus Die in India?

Kersten traveled to all places connected to the life and times of Jesus Christ and produced his book after five years of painstaking and intensive research. He reasons that the Gospels offer very little detail of the philosophy of the man credited with founding one of the major religions of the world.

http://boloji.com/opinion/0206.htm

DHodges

Heredity

Post by DHodges »

A topic that has come up here from time to time:
Why Gays Don't Go Extinct
Tomas

Judge Orders YouTube to Give All User Histories to Viacom

Post by Tomas »

Judge Orders YouTube to Give All User Histories to Viacom

Google will have to turn over every record of every video watched by YouTube users, including users' names and IP addresses, to Viacom, which is suing Google for allowing clips of its copyright videos to appear on YouTube, a judge ruled Wednesday. (see reader comments also)

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/0 ... rs-yo.html

Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: In the News

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Uh, yeah, men go out and do stuff... and yet the wife ends up with her name in the paper, and being mentioned first in the article.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

He seems to have gotten the idea from the Australian movie Danny Deckchair
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

"This was Couch's third balloon flight. He realised it would be possible after watching a TV show about the 1982 lawn chair flight over Los Angeles of truck driver Larry Walters, who gained folk hero fame but was fined $US1500 ($1563) for violating air traffic rules."

===========================================================

Bachelorhood And Its Discontents
http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpag ... c_id/22098

...only to Mencken it was the bachelor's great intellect and creativity that kept him single, not the other way round. "The bachelor's very capacity to avoid marriage is no more than a proof of his relative freedom from the ordinary sentimentalism of his sex, in other words, of his greater approximation to the clearheadedness of the enemy sex. He is able to defeat the enterprise of women because he brings to the business an equipment almost comparable to their own.” Who can argue that a brief catalog of famous bachelors reads like a roll call of the architects of Western Civilization?:

Pierre Bayle
Robert Boyle
Johannes Brahms
Samuel Butler
Robert Burton
Ludwig van Beethoven
Johannes Brahms
Giacomo Casanova
Frederic Chopin
Nicolaus Copernicus
Eugène Delacroix
Rene Descartes
Gustave Flaubert
Galileo Galilei
Edward Gibbon
Vincent van Gogh
Oliver Goldsmith
Thomas Hobbes
Horace
David Hume
Washington Irving
Henry James
Franz Kafka
Immanuel Kant
Soren Kierkegaard
Charles Lamb
T. E. Lawrence
Meriwether Lewis
Philip Larkin
Gottfried Leibniz
John Locke
Michelangelo
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sir Isaac Newton
Blaise Pascal
Alexander Pope
Marcel Proust
Maurice Ravel
George Santayana
Jean Paul Sartre
Franz Schubert
Benedict de Spinoza
Arthur Schopenhauer
Herbert Spencer
Adam Smith
Stendhal
Jonathon Swift
Nikola Tesla
Henry David Thoreau
Henri De Toulouse-Lautrec
Leonardo da Vinci
Voltaire
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Not a bad list, hey! My favs are bolded
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Jamesh wrote:
"This was Couch's third balloon flight. He realised it would be possible after watching a TV show about the 1982 lawn chair flight over Los Angeles of truck driver Larry Walters, who gained folk hero fame but was fined $US1500 ($1563) for violating air traffic rules."
Interesting. Guess they probably got the film idea from Larry. So much for originality in the world.
Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Asia's angry monk syndrome
By Megawati Wijaya

SINGAPORE - From Sri Lanka to South Korea, from Tibet to Myanmar, Asia's Buddhist clergy are in unprecedented numbers exerting their moral authority onto politics, abandoning their detachment from worldly events and giving rise to what at least one academic has referred to as a region-wide "angry monk syndrome".

http://atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JG09Ae01.html
sue hindmarsh

Selective Compassion

Post by sue hindmarsh »

I like this bit:

Asia's angry monk syndrome :
"There is nothing wrong or undesirable with the Sangha protesting out of their compassion for humanity," said Choeden. "But once their aims are achieved, they should get back as soon as possible to their purpose and avoid drifting into the ways of the world."
"Compassion for humanity" - what a joke. What happened to compassion for the people they are protesting against, I wonder?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Presumably they are protesting against behaviors, not against people.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Is Google Making Us Stupid?

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google

Over the past few years I’ve had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory. My mind isn’t going—so far as I can tell—but it’s changing. I’m not thinking the way I used to think. I can feel it most strongly when I’m reading. Immersing myself in a book or a lengthy article used to be easy. My mind would get caught up in the narrative or the turns of the argument, and I’d spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose. That’s rarely the case anymore. Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle.

Anyone else experiencing this effect?

I do, but for me, there are likely to be other more direct reasons, the main ones being dope smoking and disinterest resulting from the knowledge of reality I've developed over the last 6 or so years.

A minor reason might be those shitty new light bulbs, we have to buy instead of the good old incandescent variety.
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

Over the past few years I’ve had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory.
Try wearing a tin foil hat.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

DHodges wrote:
Over the past few years I’ve had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory.
Try wearing a tin foil hat.
Good one.

Actually, it's the direct opposite for me. I concentrate much better now. Google can't change my wiring, it just amplifies everything. Now when you don't understand a word or term, you never have to skip over it. That makes interruptions meaningful - you momentarily cease your stream of thought to anchor down a concept. Studying and research are so much better nowadays, it is indescribable. When I was in college and I had to do research to write a paper, I had to go to this thing called a library. At Cornell, there were dozens of them, but they were all spread out over thousands of acres of terrain with steep hills, deep gorges and bridges, and snow and ice. Computers were in labs and that was it. So by the time you got to the library, after running into half a dozen cute girls along the way, the idea was... where? Oh, that's right. The thought processor.

No, my brain works better than ever. I struggled with Gravity's Rainbow back then. But years later, Mason & Dixon was a romp. If it's intelligently written, it'll keep my attention.

But maybe its because I've never watched much TV.
Tomas

Moderators Can Now Read Your PMs

Post by Tomas »

Moderators Can Now Read Your PMs

http://www.libertyforum.org/showflat.ph ... =296356944

brad walker

Re: Moderators Can Now Read Your PMs

Post by brad walker »

Tomas wrote:.Moderators Can Now Read Your PMs
A script'sn't necessary. Anyone with access to the database can read PMs.
DHodges

Boys, Girls and Math

Post by DHodges »

I heard about a study on NPR comparing boys and girls in math performance, and finding no difference. They were talking to the woman who did the study, and that was the conclusion she was presenting: that there was a difference twenty years ago, but it has since disappeared. The implication was that this was due to changes in gender roles (an old stereotype that math was no longer seen as something girls didn't do).

(Summary of the study can be found here; her powerpoint presentation is here.)

But then, take a look at this. Is the Boys = Girls thing really true, or just politically correct?

Unfortunately, iIt seems like the real scientific papers on the topic are not freely available online.