In the News

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
hsandman

Re: In the News

Post by hsandman »

Dan Rowden wrote:Hands up all those who think it would be a great idea for Tomas and Daybrown to have their own blog somewhere? Anyone know of a good blog site?
Then I would have to go and read their posts separately.. daybrown does start to reply on the subject matter at hand. Let "them" have one thread, is real estate on this forum really that scarce? What is the big deal? Make Spam forum maybe where all posts deemed unfit for worldly forum go... I will try to migrate there as well. Problem solved.
It's just a ride.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Dan Rowden wrote:Hands up all those who think it would be a great idea for Tomas and Daybrown to have their own blog somewhere? Anyone know of a good blog site?

Interesting that you have an avatar with two people... AND in color. Showoff!

Note: Kevin's is whitely neutral and ditto for David's grayishly leafless tree.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Tomas wrote:
Interesting that you have an avatar with two people... AND in color. Showoff!
I stole it, actually. Hopefully the owner won't find out.
Note: Kevin's is whitely neutral and ditto for David's grayishly leafless tree.
Their avatars lack craft, imagination and aesthetic appeal. This is what a university education does to people. Beware.
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

hsandman wrote:
Let "them" have one thread, is real estate on this forum really that scarce? What is the big deal? Make Spam forum maybe where all posts deemed unfit for worldly forum go... I will try to migrate there as well. Problem solved.
Worldly Matters is already the dumping grounds. I'm not sure what they could name another. The Void?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hands up all those who think it would be a great idea for Tomas and Daybrown to have their own blog somewhere?
Hands up.
Anyone know of a good blog site?
Hands down.

Tomas can occassionally make a decent post, but creates too many new posts. Tell him to create a thread and only post short posts there or fuck off.

Daybrown seesm to be interested in worldly matters, not philosophy.
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Actually, I'm going thru a translation of Epictetus right now. I he a philosopher?
"But some'll say, Where's this guy get the arrogance he displays and these supercilious looks? havent yet so much gravity as befits a philosopher; for I dont yet feel confidence in what I've learned and what I've assented to: I still fear my own weakness. Let me get confidence and, you'll see a look such as I should and an attitude such as I should have: then I'll show you the statue, when it is perfected, when it is polished. What do you expect? A supercilious countenance? Does the Zeus at Olympia lift up his brow? No, his look is fixed as becomes him who is ready to say Irrevocable is my word and shall not fail. Such I'll show myself- faithful, modest, noble, free from perturbation. What? immortal too, exempt from old age, and from sickness? No, but dying as becomes a god, sickening as becomes a god. This power I possess;
this I can do. But the rest I dont have, nor can I do. I'll show the nerves of a philosopher. What nerves're these? A desire never disappointed, an aversion which never falls on that which it'd avoid, a proper pursuit, a diligent purpose, an assent which isnt rash. These you'll see."

And he also tells me not to bother with drivel that cannot be proven. But if there are those who think they know, and should instruct the world, I dont have a problem with it. There may be a world somewhere that needs it. I gave a couple books to a young woman today who stopped by. She is looking for answers, aware the journey is vastly longer than the postings on philosophy, limited to a few pages, seem willing to really get into. The TV and the rest of the net is so full of contradictory information that its not much good either. At least, that which I get to see.

As for a blog; I expect to have daybrown.org up next week sometime. Soon's I get done cleaning up Epictetus. The translation is dated, and tries to craft his language so that it looks like philosophy or scripture. But as you might infer from the above, he had no patience for that crap, and was known for using vulgar and profane language. I tried to explain this to another group that thot it was about philosophy, and they just didnt fucking get it.

He seems sexist, but I know what a patriarchic system he lived in, and wont rag on his case about it. And a lotta the kinds of women he saw, are still with us. Like on soaps. "When we see a man inclined to two sides, we say he's not a Jew, but acts like one." Some people havent changed a bit in nearly 2000 years.

A biographical movie on his life would rattle a lotta cages that badly need it, and richly deserve it. Caesar was so rich that even his slaves had slaves, one of which was Epictetus. I'm sure the Romans were amused.
Goddess made sex for company.
Tomas

'Lord of the Rings' kin fined for pot (photo)

Post by Tomas »

'Lord of the Rings' Author's Great-Grandson Fined for Pot (photo)

He admitted growing 39 cannabis plants at his shop selling knives and guns in Dudley, West Midlands, but said it was for his personal use (photo)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313391,00.html

Tomas

China's Secret Mummies

Post by Tomas »

China's Secret Mummies
National Geographic Channel TV
Sunday, December 2, 2007 09pm

In a remote Chinese desert, archaeologists have unearthed mummies that are thousands of years old and completely misplaced in this part of the world.

These mysterious mummies are Caucasian, with European facial features, including some that had blond hair and blue eyes.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... 22100.html

Tomas

Boomers Seek 'Green' Death (photos)

Post by Tomas »

Boomers Seek 'Green' Death

Green burial--which eschews the use of embalming chemicals and caskets that refuse to biodegrade--is on the rise across North America, say trend trackers. (photos)

http://www.livescience.com/environment/ ... eaths.html

Tomas

Cannibal turns vegetarian after joining Green group

Post by Tomas »

Cannibal turns vegetarian after joining Green group

The group of Green supporters is made up of murderers, paedophiles and drug-dealers and now has a convicted cannibal as its leader.

http://news.scotsman.com/international. ... 1831942007

daybrown

Re: Boomers Seek 'Green' Death (photos)

Post by daybrown »

Tomas wrote:.Boomers Seek 'Green' Death
Green burial--which eschews the use of embalming chemicals and caskets that refuse to biodegrade--is on the rise across North America, say trend trackers. (photos)
http://www.livescience.com/environment/ ... eaths.html .
This too is part of Native European spiritual reconstructionalism. The next step is excarnation, where the body is laid in a shallow grave to decompose naturally. Then, a year later, the family returns to the grave to collect the bones and put them in an ossuary. This ritual helps the family deal with closure, but it also provides a repository of the DNA, still in the bones, that can be accessed any time later if need be. Then the beer cooler size box could be stored in a mortuary or other such, not taking up nearly as much real estate, even at a location that's more convenient to the family.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Oh, God.

What's the best comment for this?
1. How observant Christians are.
2. Evidence on why being overly emotional is a bad thing.
3. "Revival" - how ironic.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

4. Puh-RAZE Jee-suss!!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Since 1960, there had been a more than 500-percent increase in violent crime; a more than 400-percent increase in out-of-wedlock births; almost a tripling in the percentage of children on welfare; a tripling of the teenage suicide rate; a doubling of the divorce rate; and a decline of more than 70 points in SAT scores

Crime, Drugs, Welfare—and Other Good News

Written I would imagine by a right winger type, but still a good reminder of the ebb and flow of humanity.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Oh, God.

That's the funniest story I've seen in a long time.
"I thought he was overcome by the power of God," says associate pastor Kevin Toomey,
Well, he sorta was.
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Jamesh wrote:Since 1960, there had been a more than 500-percent increase in violent crime; a more than 400-percent increase in out-of-wedlock births; almost a tripling in the percentage of children on welfare; a tripling of the teenage suicide rate; a doubling of the divorce rate; and a decline of more than 70 points in SAT scores

Crime, Drugs, Welfare—and Other Good News

Written I would imagine by a right winger type, but still a good reminder of the ebb and flow of humanity.
I just finished uploading Gibbon- http://daybrown.org/gibbon/gibbon.html , not had time to see if its all working, but seems to be there. Anyway, Gibbon picked up on something about the flow. He noted that none of the really successful emperors were raised in Rome; they all grew up on the farm out in the boonies someplace. He goes on about the rigors of the outdoor life, and we see that idea was used to found the Boy Scouts.

But archeology has finally left the marble monuments of the city and gone to look at the ancient farms. Seen also in the bog body stomachs and bone middens going back 8000 years, we see over 100 wild plants and animals in the diet along with the domestic species.

But in the cities... the power elites promoted monoculture. Maize in the Americas, Rice in the Orient, wheat in Europe, barley in Egypt. And the problem, revealed by neurology, is that maximal mental development needs the trace minerals- iron, copper, manganese, zinc, etc to empower some of the 150 or so neurotransmitters (so far identified) in the laying down of new neural pathways during childhood mental development.

You may have turned out to be a rational adult even tho raised on sugar cereals, junkfood, and soda. Lotsa folks aint so lucky. We see their insane rants all over the net.

So- there's this cycle of civilization, then decline, revolution and anarchy, and everyone who survives is back on the farm in the boonies. Now, as it turns out, of all the grains, wheat and oats grown in Northern Europe do the most to promote mental development. And indeed, the Scots who were known for eating oats, have the highest rate of innovation per capita. But if what I wanted was stupid kids, I'd raise them on soulfood.

And now, Jared Diamond reports that 80% of global agribusiness raises just 5 crops: corn, wheat, rice, soybeans, & cotton. And they do it by dosing the ground with Nitrogen, Phosphorus, & Potash. [that's a period] All the essential trace minerals and micronutrients from the natural biota in soils have been leached out long ago.

Some of the women I know in healthcare understand this problem. Hippies have known about it for 30 years. When my son graduated with the other hippie kids at the podunk Leslie AR high in 1996, 20% of the class scored over 30 on the ACT. That's over the 95th percentile.

Robert Kaplan, in his study of the military, "Imperial Grunts" notes that half of the Green Berets grew up on family farms. This us but 1% of the total population providing 50% of the nation's most competent soldiers.

The National Autism rate is posted at 1:155. The Leslie nurse is still a friend, and she tells me that up there, they may have 1 out of 4000 back in the Ozark boonies.. which are still family farms. The posted autism rate for the Amish kids, who never see sugar cereal or junk food at all is 1:15,00; and so it goes. I could go on.

I see some shift in the media, some awareness by smart white women, and a shift back to locally grown produce. But I dunno if the message is getting out over all the ad money on TV promoting profitable junk.

So Jamesh, what I've been telling people to do is get the fuck out of Dodge. you do not want to be in a major metropolitan area if all the mass insanity and incompetence produces economic panic and civil disorder.

Out of wedlock births are not the problem per se. I see increasing numbers of dykes moving into my neck of Ozark woods, and their kids are doing fine. Course, they are all being raised on much healthier diets and going to schools that still work. The small Ozark hill town schools have zero rates of violence. I dont see that its a problem with the Amish kids either.

I passed thru Leslie in the wee hours coming back from out of state. I noted, passing the basketball court, the basketball parked on the grass in case some kids showed up the next day who wanted to play. How long do you think the ball would have stayed there in the city? There is no theft. The teachers in small schools all know which kids own what, so nobody gets away with shit.

Sure the incomes are low, and most kids are on subsidized school lunch. But since they dont have all the glitzy shit in the house with a remote, when the kids get home from school, they go outside to play.

I can see how we should be raising the kids, just as Gibbon did. But you know how neurotic the parents are, so there's no help for it. All you can do is find a place to live that is out of the way in case it all comes down like a house of credit cards.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

daybrown wrote: I just finished uploading Gibbon- http://daybrown.org/gibbon/gibbon.html , not had time to see if its all working, but seems to be there. Anyway, Gibbon picked up on something about the flow. He noted that none of the really successful emperors were raised in Rome; they all grew up on the farm out in the boonies someplace. He goes on about the rigors of the outdoor life, and we see that idea was used to found the Boy Scouts.
I agree, we all come from gibbons and monkeys, and that's why some of our last names came to be Gibbon and Monk. The word 'girl' comes directly from gorilla.

I also concur on the character-building nature of rural life. Ah the bracing fresh air, and the rigors of pitching manure. It's in your bones, I know, D.B., and it's in mine, too. I'm thinking of making a run for the White House next year. Want to be my V.P.?
But archeology has finally left the marble monuments of the city and gone to look at the ancient farms. Seen also in the bog body stomachs and bone middens going back 8000 years, we see over 100 wild plants and animals in the diet along with the domestic species.
That's old archeology. Bog body stomachs are giving way to blog post entries, as a way of interpreting the relative intelligence of the local population. I'm afraid future investigators aren't going to be very impressed. *Haw haw*
But in the cities... the power elites promoted monoculture. Maize in the Americas, Rice in the Orient, wheat in Europe, barley in Egypt. And the problem, revealed by neurology, is that maximal mental development needs the trace minerals- iron, copper, manganese, zinc, etc to empower some of the 150 or so neurotransmitters (so far identified) in the laying down of new neural pathways during childhood mental development.

You may have turned out to be a rational adult even tho raised on sugar cereals, junkfood, and soda. Lotsa folks aint so lucky. We see their insane rants all over the net.

So- there's this cycle of civilization, then decline, revolution and anarchy, and everyone who survives is back on the farm in the boonies. Now, as it turns out, of all the grains, wheat and oats grown in Northern Europe do the most to promote mental development. And indeed, the Scots who were known for eating oats, have the highest rate of innovation per capita. But if what I wanted was stupid kids, I'd raise them on soulfood.
Agree, again. Corn is definitely the flatlander feed, fit only for fattening the political pigs at the public trough. We mountain folk were raised on sturdy oats and wheat, the breakfasts of champeens; we were champing at the bit to get out in the world and do something. Now look at the couch potato culture we've got. It's enuf to make a man want to look up some studies on the inturnet.
And now, Jared Diamond reports that 80% of global agribusiness raises just 5 crops: corn, wheat, rice, soybeans, & cotton. And they do it by dosing the ground with Nitrogen, Phosphorus, & Potash. [that's a period] All the essential trace minerals and micronutrients from the natural biota in soils have been leached out long ago.
Yes, it can all be traced to minerals, and mineral rights along the Dung Road, to Kucha, city of 10,000 betas. Babes. I mean babes.
Good Citizen Carl
Tomas

Elton John given rare Maori award

Post by Tomas »

Elton John given rare Maori award

"It's the Maori equivalent to an Academy Award"
Elton John has received a specially made bird-feather cloak for his many visits to Maori communities.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Dec07/ ... hn,00.html

Tomas

Area man regrets getting Statue of Liberty tattoo on chest

Post by Tomas »

Area man regrets getting Statue of Liberty tattoo on chest

"At first, it was real cool," says Tim Halwell
"I mean, right after the attacks, it was awesome to just be standing in a crowd of people and, like, take my shirt off and have everybody cheer at the inspirational artistic arrangement of Lady Liberty flicking off the entire western portion of the hemisphere."

http://www.enduringvision.com/archives/ ... tattoo.htm

Tomas

Centuries-Old Map Baffles Researchers (photos)

Post by Tomas »

Centuries-Old Map Baffles Researchers (photos)

Why did the mapmaker name the territory America and then change his mind later? How was he able to draw South America so accurately? Why did he put a huge ocean west of America years before European explorers discovered the Pacific? (photos)

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/centuries- ... id=NWS0001

Tomas

Early Copy of Magna Carta on Sale in NYC

Post by Tomas »

Early Copy of Magna Carta on Sale in NYC

In the year 1215, a group of English barons handed King John a document written on parchment. Put your seal on this, they said. John did, and forever changed the relationship between the monarchy and those it governed.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Dec07/ ... ta,00.html

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Jeanne Assam appeared before the news media for the first time Monday and said she "did not think for a minute to run away" when a gunman entered the New Life Church in Colorado Springs and started shooting.

There was applause as Assam spoke to reporters and TV cameras saying, "God guided me and protected me."

Assam said she believes God gave her the strength to confront Murray, keeping her calm and focused even though he appeared to be twice her size and was more heavily armed.
I'm sure the following had nothing to do with it. It was all god :)
Assam worked as a police officer in downtown Minneapolis during the 1990s and is licensed to carry a weapon. She attends one of the morning services and then volunteers as a guard during another service
Tomas

New Dollar Bill Introduced

Post by Tomas »

New Dollar Bill Introduced

Bush enshrined

http://www.upload.mn/view/1ykm9q7qa687q ... &full=true

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Ahmadinejad's blog

http://www.ahmadinejad.ir/

Kind of interesting actually.
Tomas

Man Makes Record Books for Distance Thrown in Car Accident

Post by Tomas »

Man Makes Record Books for Distance Thrown in Car Accident

"I thought it was a big joke. Dr. Brader is known for joking around a lot, but when he brought (the paperwork) to me, I saw how serious he was."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316248,00.html