Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

What is the function of gossip?

Post by mental vagrant »

When does gossip transcend inanity?
unbound
GodsDaughter1

Re: What is the function of gossip?

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

mental vagrant wrote:When does gossip transcend inanity?

GodsDaughter says: Gossip is gossip when you actively respond to it. Give no reply to the detriment of gossip and there will be no gossip.
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

I suppose what i'm getting at is this; truth vs fiction:

Gossip used for egotistical sadistic 'temporary meme' wars, is the broken car driven by the stupid driver.

Gossip used to derive usefull consequences for all parties. The way a collective views itself as such, endevouring benevolently.
unbound
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Gossip unites or serves as a tie that binds a community. Before mass communication, gossip was how news was spread. Newspapers enjoyed a brief stint in history as the means of spreading information (or mis- or disinformation.) Before that, people have always talked about other people. A person's reputation can be said to be the sum of the gossip about him. Unless by gossip you mean exclusively the "dirt" on a person, the salacious tidbits of questionable veracity.
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

cousinbasil wrote:Gossip unites or serves as a tie that binds a community. Before mass communication, gossip was how news was spread. Newspapers enjoyed a brief stint in history as the means of spreading information (or mis- or disinformation.) Before that, people have always talked about other people. A person's reputation can be said to be the sum of the gossip about him. Unless by gossip you mean exclusively the "dirt" on a person, the salacious tidbits of questionable veracity.
You've continued to describe a partial anarchic model, which is certainly part of the sum. My examination of gossip dwells in the dirtying, psychopathic component, i'm attempting to gain understanding. Is this sadism otherwise, is it believed to be positively contributorial in some way. I use the term psychopathic very flexibly; the behaviour is likely a result of emotional immaturity combined with an intellectual short-sight. I can go further to offer an example for you to extrude through your various neural networks; today, two people facing me, one of which within audible distance, calls me a retard. I sat in their company pondering the impetuous intent, they seemed comfortable with their verbal assault upon me. I tried to spend more time around them, to hear them chatter fatuously of the community and its' characters. I concluded that with the minimal information i'd been exposed to, that the obstreperous behaviour from earlier wasn't due insecurity nor aggression. Do any models come to mind?

Another example that could be used is ForbidenRea's vendetta; accusing me of a superiority complex for stating i see some validity in IQ. Although common enough an occurence from past experience is not somthing i'd expect to recieve here.
unbound
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

mental vagrant wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:Gossip unites or serves as a tie that binds a community. Before mass communication, gossip was how news was spread. Newspapers enjoyed a brief stint in history as the means of spreading information (or mis- or disinformation.) Before that, people have always talked about other people. A person's reputation can be said to be the sum of the gossip about him. Unless by gossip you mean exclusively the "dirt" on a person, the salacious tidbits of questionable veracity.
You've continued to describe a partial anarchic model, which is certainly part of the sum. My examination of gossip dwells in the dirtying, psychopathic component, i'm attempting to gain understanding. Is this sadism otherwise, is it believed to be positively contributorial in some way. I use the term psychopathic very flexibly; the behaviour is likely a result of emotional immaturity combined with an intellectual short-sight. I can go further to offer an example for you to extrude through your various neural networks; today, two people facing me, one of which within audible distance, calls me a retard. I sat in their company pondering the impetuous intent, they seemed comfortable with their verbal assault upon me. I tried to spend more time around them, to hear them chatter fatuously of the community and its' characters. I concluded that with the minimal information i'd been exposed to, that the obstreperous behaviour from earlier wasn't due insecurity nor aggression. Do any models come to mind?

Another example that could be used is ForbidenRea's vendetta; accusing me of a superiority complex for stating i see some validity in IQ. Although common enough an occurence from past experience is not somthing i'd expect to recieve here.
GodsDaughter says: Perhaps, I'm the model you're speaking of in which I could care less who says what about me. I know others wag their spewing mouths about me behind my back, but it's not really behind my back it's right in front of me, nitwits don't realize I can read!

GodsDaughter says: And heaven forbid ForbidenRea has accused you of having a superiority complex, how fucking terrible, you are doomed now, you better go crawl away and die somewhere. Count your lucky stars you weren't accused of a serious horrendous crime like pedophile! Superiority complex rates better than an inferior complex. I think education ruins people's minds, many educated people are fucked in the head!
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

GodsDaughter1 wrote:
mental vagrant wrote:

GodsDaughter says: Perhaps, I'm the model you're speaking of in which I could care less who says what about me. I know others wag their spewing mouths about me behind my back, but it's not really behind my back it's right in front of me, nitwits don't realize I can read!

GodsDaughter says: And heaven forbid ForbidenRea has accused you of having a superiority complex, how fucking terrible, you are doomed now, you better go crawl away and die somewhere. Count your lucky stars you weren't accused of a serious horrendous crime like pedophile! Superiority complex rates better than an inferior complex. I think education ruins people's minds, many educated people are fucked in the head!
I get it, thing is i'm not seeking empathy. I want to better understand.
unbound
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

cousinbasil: Unless by gossip you mean exclusively the "dirt" on a person, the salacious tidbits of questionable veracity.
mental v.: My examination of gossip dwells in the dirtying, psychopathic component
Well, that answer that.
...is it believed to be positively contributorial in some way. I use the term psychopathic very flexibly; the behaviour is likely a result of emotional immaturity combined with an intellectual short-sight.
I believe you are being too kind here. Psychopathic does have connotations of malevolent intent, which "immaturity" and "short-sight" would seem to mitigate and/or explain away, and you may have a point. But gossip is more insidious than mere immaturity. Usually when people gossip, it is with complete disregard for the subjects of the gossip. The motivation behind gossip seems to be the supposed elevation of esteem in which the recipients hold the propagator. Consequences for the subject of the gossip don't even come into play. At it's best, it's mindless activity for mindless people. More typically there is some malice and Schadenfreude involved. Also, people who gossip seem incapable of comprehending the inevitable harm it does.

I recall this quote from my mother: "I'm not a gossip like Mrs. Barrett down the street. Now, she gossips. I remember one time..."
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

cousinbasil wrote:
cousinbasil: Unless by gossip you mean exclusively the "dirt" on a person, the salacious tidbits of questionable veracity.
mental v.: My examination of gossip dwells in the dirtying, psychopathic component
Well, that answer that.
...is it believed to be positively contributorial in some way. I use the term psychopathic very flexibly; the behaviour is likely a result of emotional immaturity combined with an intellectual short-sight.
I believe you are being too kind here. Psychopathic does have connotations of malevolent intent, which "immaturity" and "short-sight" would seem to mitigate and/or explain away, and you may have a point. But gossip is more insidious than mere immaturity. Usually when people gossip, it is with complete disregard for the subjects of the gossip. The motivation behind gossip seems to be the supposed elevation of esteem in which the recipients hold the propagator. Consequences for the subject of the gossip don't even come into play. At it's best, it's mindless activity for mindless people. More typically there is some malice and Schadenfreude involved. Also, people who gossip seem incapable of comprehending the inevitable harm it does.

I recall this quote from my mother: "I'm not a gossip like Mrs. Barrett down the street. Now, she gossips. I remember one time..."
GodsDaughter says: Cousinbasil you make so much sense to me, you give good clear insightful answers!
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

cousinbasil wrote:
Well, that answer that.

Yes. There is a border between the inane and the 'evil' forms of gossip, i suppose gossip transcends inanity when it is used as subversive violence.
unbound