Consciousness and the Tao - James Quirk

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)

Consciousness and the Tao - James Quirk

Postby Dan Rowden » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:58 pm

Our second show deals with the essential nature of the Tao, the "Way" and the role of consciousness in knowing and following the Tao: Consciousness and the Tao

RSS Feed: http://geniusrealms.com/reasoningshow/feed.xml
Dan Rowden

Re: Consciousness and the Tao - James Quirk

Postby Fudge » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi there!!
I can't open the link you posted above. Could you tell me the reason why I can't do it?
Fudge

Postby Dan Rowden » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:07 pm

The podcasts don't seem to be working at present. Not sure why but I'll look into it.
Dan Rowden

Postby Blair » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 am

They're working for me. In fact I;m laughing my ass off right now at how stupid James Quirk sounds..
Blair

Postby Unidian » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:33 am

Well I'm glad you're enjoying it, oh He who sails in "sees" of the Infinite, but could you explain to the rest of us useless beings exactly why I sound so stupid? And please provide arguments, rather than responses along the lines of "because you are a shitweasel."
I live in a tub.
Unidian

Postby Dennis Mahar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 am

there's mental activity and there's wisdom.
there can be mental activity without wisdom.
there can't be wisdom without mental activity.

wisdom understands the cause of suffering.
the cause is craving after possibilities that lack inherent existence, that depend for their existence, that are impermanent in nature.

A fabrication can't be persisted with as a means to avoid suffering.
If you are fabricating,
be honest,
admit you are fabricating.

You, Girlfriend, plus You and Girlfriend,
He, She and We,
lack inherent existence,
arise dependently,
are impermanent in nature.

fabricating a We is fraught with suffering,
because for the We to survive,
depends on He and She giving up freedom.

If He grasps She,
His self-esteem is automatically dependent on the thoughts and actions of She,
She is in control of He,
He is automatically terrified of anything in the environment that can threaten to take Her away from Him.
He starts to manipulate She in order to get back in control.

If She grasps He,
Her self-esteem is automatically dependent on the thoughts and actions of He,
He is in control of She,
She is automatically terrified of anything in the environment that can threaten to take Him away from Her.
She starts to manipulate He in order to get back in control.

He, She and We are only for the time being and have no 'own-being'.
To conceptually superimpose ownership on such phenomena calls forth suffering.
To render meaningful what is meaningless calls forth suffering.

Don't call it love.

call it fabrication.
it is what it is.
Dennis Mahar

Postby Blair » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Unidian wrote:Well I'm glad you're enjoying it, oh He who sails in "sees" of the Infinite, but could you explain to the rest of us useless beings exactly why I sound so stupid? And please provide arguments, rather than responses along the lines of "because you are a shitweasel."

Sounds like you are just gelous, cause you don't got enough consciousness points to ride the sees of infinity.
Blair

Postby Diebert van Rhijn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:34 am

I quickly read the transcript again and it really is rather stupid [immature is probably the better word] and this is why:

The first one being, this idea of unselfish love being a love that's shared equally through all things. And in Mahayana Buddhism, that is the ideal that they're striving for. And I think that we, as individuals, can also strive for that ideal. .... But I think that the expression of love in a small context, in family, between friends, and so on, is an expression of that larger instinct, which is the instinct to become one with all. That sounds like "guru-speak", but I think it follows, from what we know about Taoism, and about Zen, and how it is a monistic reality. All things are connected. And we do need to learn to have the same regard for all things.

Understanding or experiencing unity does not give rise to love, as love in all its forms is a form of preference, it's always a selection. Loving all would become technically indifference, since one loves someone's death as much as her birth, her health just as much as her being ill. She will not appreciate that kind of love.

This is why the love in a small context is not a reflection of the larger "instinct", simply because it's also countering it, as it clearly selects and prefers, it creates all forms of boundaries and exclusives ("you are special to me", "you are an emotional priority since you are related", etc). It's selfish love all the way, self in the sense these loves reinforce ones identity as lover, family member, etc. The boundaries and ties define and need, no desire reinforcements all the time. These small scale unities, while potentially a stepping stone to something larger, now become quickly anchor stones.

What happens in this twisted logic James presents here, is that the smaller context is projected onto the divine, as we're still selecting parts of existence and being, as extensions of ourselves, still creating excuses for the self, our lifestyle, our ways, to perpetuate. What one ends up with is extended family and self-love, repackaged as "Zen" and "Tao", enabling these as promotion for the smaller contexts and little loves, never having to taste its full poison and self-destruction.

Yeah, so it is pretty numbing and worse: deceitful.
Diebert van Rhijn

Postby Blair » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 pm

You might as well reason with a chicken.
Blair

Postby ForbidenRea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:25 am

Blair wrote:They're working for me. In fact I;m laughing my ass off right now at how stupid James Quirk sounds..

"Like"
ForbidenRea

Postby ForbidenRea » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:27 am

Blair wrote:
Unidian wrote:Well I'm glad you're enjoying it, oh He who sails in "sees" of the Infinite, but could you explain to the rest of us useless beings exactly why I sound so stupid? And please provide arguments, rather than responses along the lines of "because you are a shitweasel."

Sounds like you are just gelous, cause you don't got enough consciousness points to ride the sees of infinity.

Forget it, pal.

I get a load of crap from people and I just toss it into the wind and bury them in my back yard. Tao. Words are meaningless, unless, they are conscious concepts.
ForbidenRea

Postby ForbidenRea » Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 pm

A=A
ForbidenRea

Postby Unidian » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 am

For the record, some of my statements in this show are fairly stupid, but that's what happens when you're being influenced and manipulated by stupid people in your household. Happily, I no longer have that problem. Not blaming, though - it was my fault for allowing such influence.
I live in a tub.
Unidian

Postby brad walker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 am

How's the tub?
brad walker

Postby Merlin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:10 pm

In all actuality; A first statement into the 'infinite' my boy is the causes of intellectuality. The thing to remember is these- bozos-are endorsed by the seed of a destruction. They voted their mothers off the charts of the seed of 'destruction.' In all actuality, the prism they see is under the candle of blackness...Whence, they are chartered for a lecture in AssWhippen. Whether, or not they tally your thoughts on intellect. Do the Math. No matter.

I see my angel.

The ritual of their intellect is goth worthy where they use words to seduce their Higher Power, per-sa. Use your intellect. My son, for-in so doing you will find the wealth of an Ultimate Karma. Leave, the kitties at play. Do. Receive. Act upon. Don'
Merlin

Postby Unidian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 am

How's the tub?

Kind of chilly.
I live in a tub.
Unidian

Postby Unidian » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm

You guys have to admit, Kevin kind of went off the rails in this one as well. His "70% enlightened" claim was odd. But I'm not claiming I did well, either. This was actually kind of a piss-poor show all around - I've heard others that were better (but not Victor's, his was even stupider than mine).
I live in a tub.
Unidian

Postby grayfox » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:19 am

I like the podcasts, well done
grayfox

Return to Archives