Drunk versus Sober

Post questions or suggestions here.
GodsDaughter1

Drunk versus Sober

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Drunk versus Sober

It's been said that alcohol is good used as a truth potion, so when you want the truth gentlemen or ladies, get your lady or guy drunk and out will come the truth.

You can ask her/him any question you want to, once you have them under the magic spell of truth potion. You can pretend to be drinking as much as they are, but, really your aim is to get at the truth, so you want to stay alert without them knowing it, then, when you've got the truth, you can get drunk with them.

It seems you can get more truth from someone drunk than you can get from someone sober. Sober people need to get drunk once-in-a-while, to know what living life is all about. They are all keyed up, frustrated from boredom, they don't know how to have fun. They are to afraid what people will think, they are the ones who compete with their neighbor to have a better yard, a better car, a better yard, they are to uptight to know how to enjoy life with a drink or a smoke. These kind of people always choose partners just like them, and they use each other to entertain each other with their boring spews about work, they are so bored, that they have nothing better to do than to cause trouble for those who do live and have fun in life.

To drink alcohol in moderation is to dare to speak the truth, but to drink it in abundance to drunkeness is to inhibit you.

I can consume only one bottle of GROWERS pear cider, and that's enough to get me drunk enough to relax to write this, so essentially I'm hammered right now. So the big question now is, would I have written this article just as it is if I were sober?

Nope and that's the truth!
cousinbasil

Re: Drunk versus Sober

Post by cousinbasil »

GD1 wrote:It's been said that alcohol is good used as a truth potion
In vino veritas.
You can pretend to be drinking as much as they are, but, really your aim is to get at the truth
Not an uncommon moral dilemma: using deceit to "get at" the truth.
Sober people need to get drunk once-in-a-while, to know what living life is all about.
Living life is not all about getting drunk. (Except for Australians and Russians.)
They are to afraid what people will think, ...they are to uptight to know how to enjoy life with a drink or a smoke.
You do bring out my pedantic tendencies, 'Daughter. In the English language, there are three spellings for this word: TWO, TO, and TOO. The first one is the number ("2"). The second one is the infinitive and preposition ("to be or not to be" and "go to hell," respectively.) The third is the one you keep getting wrong: "to afraid what people think" should be "too afraid what people think," etc. Here, it means more than is necessary or acceptable. TOO is also used to mean "also."

What seems to confuse people - including you, Donna - is the common construction "too [adjective] to [verb]." It is not "TO [adjective] to [verb]."
they are the ones who compete with their neighbor to have a better yard, a better car, a better yard
Doesn't sound so egregious to me - it just means the neighborhood will have nice yards, nice cars, and nice yards.
I can consume only one bottle of GROWERS pear cider, and that's enough to get me drunk enough to relax to write this, so essentially I'm hammered right now. So the big question now is, would I have written this article just as it is if I were sober?
If you were sober, you might have realized it is a post in a forum and not really an article in any sense of the word.

BTW, these are merely remarks I am making. Do not take them as personal attacks as you are wont to do.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

cousinbasil wrote:
In vino veritas.
You can pretend to be drinking as much as they are, but, really your aim is to get at the truth

GodsDaughter says: Pretending is not deceit, children pretend all the time. I didn't have to use the word pretend at all. I could have simply said to drink less than they do, but, you decided to focus in on an insignificant part of the story, making it seem significant when it's not.
Sober people need to get drunk once-in-a-while, to know what living life is all about.
Living life is not all about getting drunk. (Except for Australians and Russians.)

GodsDaughter says: I realize that living life is not all about getting drunk, I only drink one bottle of Pears cider every four months or so. I said people need to get drunk once-in-a-while.
They are to afraid what people will think, ...they are to uptight to know how to enjoy life with a drink or a smoke.
GodsDaughter says: I wasn't talking about anyone in particular.

You do bring out my pedantic tendencies, 'Daughter. In the English language, there are three spellings for this word: TWO, TO, and TOO. The first one is the number ("2"). The second one is the infinitive and preposition ("to be or not to be" and "go to hell," respectively.) The third is the one you keep getting wrong: "to afraid what people think" should be "too afraid what people think," etc. Here, it means more than is necessary or acceptable. TOO is also used to mean "also."

What seems to confuse people - including you, Donna - is the common construction "too [adjective] to [verb]." It is not "TO [adjective] to [verb]."
they are the ones who compete with their neighbor to have a better yard, a better car, a better yard
Doesn't sound so egregious to me - it just means the neighborhood will have nice yards, nice cars, and nice yards.
If you were sober, you might have realized it is a post in a forum and not really an article in any sense of the word.

GodsDaughter says: You're right!

BTW, these are merely remarks I am making. Do not take them as personal attacks as you are wont to do.
GodsDaughter says: I only take them as personal attacks when they feel and seem like personal attacks, this post didn't feel like a personal attack. You are honest and genuine.

GodsDaughter says: Sometimes it's good to have pedantic tendecies, I too. I know when to use the word too in a sentence, but, I too get confused sometimes.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

GodsDaughter1 wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:
In vino veritas.

GodsDaughter says: Pretending is not deceit, children pretend all the time. I didn't have to use the word pretend at all. I could have simply said to drink less than they do, but, you decided to focus in on an insignificant word in the story, making it seem significant when it's not.

GodsDaughter says: I realize that living life is not all about getting drunk, I only drink one bottle of Pears cider every four months or so. I said people need to get drunk once-in-a-while. And had I been sober, I never would have encouraged anyone to get drunk, nor would I encourage smoking pot, however, I would tell anyone that pot is more favorable over alcohol according to many people.
GodsDaughter says: I don't know who I'm talking about here!

GodsDaughter says: Well, I must be somewhat effective if I can bring anything out. I stand to be corrected!

GodsDaughter says: nice yards, it's comical that you pointed this repeat out.
GodsDaughter said: Nope, which was the truth!

GodsDaughter says: You're right!

GodsDaughter says: I only take them as personal attacks when they feel and seem like personal attacks, this post didn't feel like a personal attack. You are honest and genuine.

GodsDaughter says: Sometimes it's good to have pedantic tendecies, I too. I know when to use the word too in a sentence, but, I too get confused sometimes.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

GD1: You can pretend to be drinking as much as they are, but, really your aim is to get at the truth
cousinbasil: Not an uncommon moral dilemma: using deceit to "get at" the truth.
GD1: GodsDaughter says: Pretending is not deceit, children pretend all the time. I didn't have to use the word pretend at all. I could have simply said to drink less than they do, but, you decided to focus in on an insignificant part of the story, making it seem significant when it's not.
Really poor argument, Donna. Of course pretending isn't always deceit, but using children as an example means nothing, since children are often very deceitful, whether they are "pretending" or not. I was rather talking about the situation you presented, which is of an adult "pretending" to be drinking so that another person would be lulled into consuming more alcohol, thereby lowering inhibitions so that temporary vulnerability can be exploited. The scenario you gave is clearly one in which one person deliberately leads another into believing something is true when it is not, and doing this in a way to intentionally lower that other person 's defenses while keeping one's own intact. If you cannot see this as deceit, then you are obviously capable of deceiving yourself.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

cousinbasil wrote:
GD1: You can pretend to be drinking as much as they are, but, really your aim is to get at the truth
cousinbasil: Not an uncommon moral dilemma: using deceit to "get at" the truth.
GD1: GodsDaughter says: Pretending is not deceit, children pretend all the time. I didn't have to use the word pretend at all. I could have simply said to drink less than they do, but, you decided to focus in on an insignificant part of the story, making it seem significant when it's not.
Really poor argument, Donna. Of course pretending isn't always deceit, but using children as an example means nothing, since children are often very deceitful, whether they are "pretending" or not. I was rather talking about the situation you presented, which is of an adult "pretending" to be drinking so that another person would be lulled into consuming more alcohol, thereby lowering inhibitions so that temporary vulnerability can be exploited. The scenario you gave is clearly one in which one person deliberately leads another into believing something is true when it is not, and doing this in a way to intentionally lower that other person 's defenses while keeping one's own intact. If you cannot see this as deceit, then you are obviously capable of deceiving yourself.
GodsDaughter says: I understand you up to the word exploited which is the top half of the paragraph which I agree with. It's the second half "The scenario you gave is clearly... a misunderstanding of what I did say. You totally fucked it up and misconstrued what I said. What's happening with you anyway cousinbasil, your attitude is changing, I see it in your words. Maybe you need a break from this joint, or maybe you're becoming more vocal, more sure of yourself. You're more assertive aggressive now.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

GD1 wrote:You totally fucked it up and misconstrued what I said
Well, I don't think I am misconstruing what you said at all. I am trying to point out what its implications are, that's all. Look, I know you didn't intend it to promote manipulation of other people. I don't think you have a mean bone in your body, at least judging from your posts at GF. But pretending to consume liquor - instead of really consuming it - means you want to remain in control, while at the same time encouraging another to actually consume more than you have, and thereby let down his guard so he will "tell the truth." The entire point was that alcohol is a truth serum. Therefore, you want the other person spilling his guts, while you only pretend to drink the 'truth serum." Why only pretend, and not join him? Why else, but to be more in control and able to exercise more discretion than he is able to. I know you are not a mean-spirited person, which is why I took notice of this suggestion of yours on plyingsomeonee with booze. It's not horrible like rape or murder, but it is deceitful, like I said.
What's happening with you anyway cousinbasil, your attitude is changing, I see it in your words. Maybe you need a break from this joint, or maybe you're becoming more vocal, more sure of yourself. You're more assertive aggressive now.
I am always sure of myself, but you may have a point in observing I am not always assertive. Usually that is too much trouble for any conceivable benefit. Sometimes when I read Diebert's claptrap I get annoyed. It's one thing to be ignorant - which he proves himself to be time after time - but it's another to aggressively and intentionally misunderstand other people. When other people are aggressive with me, I get aggressive back. Except for you, it seems. When you have called me names, it doesn't really bother me because I know you are being defensive, albeit unnecessarily so. Diebert, one the other hand, can get offensive, and that's as irritating as a bug bite on my ass, especially coming from him, whose expertise in anything has yet to become overt.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

cousinbasil wrote:
GD1 wrote:You totally fucked it up and misconstrued what I said
Well, I don't think I am misconstruing what you said at all. I am trying to point out what its implications are, that's all. Look, I know you didn't intend it to promote manipulation of other people. I don't think you have a mean bone in your body, at least judging from your posts at GF. But pretending to consume liquor - instead of really consuming it - means you want to remain in control, while at the same time encouraging another to actually consume more than you have, and thereby let down his guard so he will "tell the truth." The entire point was that alcohol is a truth serum. Therefore, you want the other person spilling his guts, while you only pretend to drink the 'truth serum." Why only pretend, and not join him? Why else, but to be more in control and able to exercise more discretion than he is able to. I know you are not a mean-spirited person, which is why I took notice of this suggestion of yours on plyingsomeonee with booze. It's not horrible like rape or murder, but it is deceitful, like I said.

GodsDaughter says: I guess I can see it your way somewhat, it does seem a little deceitful, to pretend I'm consuming alcohol when I'm really not and they are. But, in all honesty cousinbasil, this was truly a hypothetical scenario, there is no reality in it, it was simply a manifestation conjured up, as a means for someone to try to get the truth out of someone but not consuming alcohol too. I used myself as an example, by not as the model. It was just something I heard that alcohol is a truth serum, so my imagination started me writing a hypothetical senario.
What's happening with you anyway cousinbasil, your attitude is changing, I see it in your words. Maybe you need a break from this joint, or maybe you're becoming more vocal, more sure of yourself. You're more assertive aggressive now.
I am always sure of myself, but you may have a point in observing I am not always assertive. Usually that is too much trouble for any conceivable benefit. Sometimes when I read Diebert's claptrap I get annoyed. It's one thing to be ignorant - which he proves himself to be time after time - but it's another to aggressively and intentionally misunderstand other people. When other people are aggressive with me, I get aggressive back. Except for you, it seems. When you have called me names, it doesn't really bother me because I know you are being defensive, albeit unnecessarily so. Diebert, one the other hand, can get offensive, and that's as irritating as a bug bite on my ass, especially coming from him, whose expertise in anything has yet to become overt.
GodsDaughter says: Everyone of us are ignorant, I being the most! I find Diebert to have a sophistication about him. I find him to have a wealth of knowledge in his head. I see each one of you in your own wonderfully unique way. I see you from a different light now cousinbasil, you've putforth your knowledge and ability for me to see. I think you have alot to offer in your truth and knowledge, now you should concentrate on asserting that knowledge. If you're right, darn well let it be known as you're precisely doing. Everyone of us gets into argumentative debates which is a necessity really to understanding each other.
But, some people who feel they are losing out on a debate, like the feeling of being put on the defense, will lash out with a denouncement or untrue statement and then, the whole dam argument gets out-of-hand and control is lost, and thus the argument is left unresolved. I suggest one to handle each defense with diplomacy but truth, this will put you in the offense. An argumentative debate doesn't have to succumb to combativeness, if both parties exercise intelligence. I will not get myself caught-up into argumentation unless I am absolutely sure of what I'm talking about.