Youtube stuff

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
guest_of_logic

Re: Youtube stuff

Post by guest_of_logic »

guest_of_logic: I don't know; maybe they die in very remote locations and make an effort to go someplace their remains won't be found. Just speculating.

Carmel: Maybe. ...and maybe fairies and elves do the same?
No, they dissolve into magic dust - didn't you know that?
Carmel wrote:yes, I'm a skeptic, but in spite of that I don't believe in the premise that all Truth can be divined through logic alone.
Yes, I've noticed that your skepticism extends to some of the prevailing claims here at GF.
Carmel wrote:I have quite a few beliefs that I could never explain logically, nor am I compelled to make the attempt. I have no desire to either explain or defend them. I already know all the counterarguments, all of which, are logically viable, but in no way negate my beliefs and never will.
Care to share?
guest_of_logic: I'm betting the Santa Claus lie cut you pretty badly.

Carmel: I presume you're being facetious
No, I was being serious.
Carmel wrote:but there's actually some truth to that statement. I remember the exact moment that I stopped believing in Santa Claus. One day, the protective bubble of magical thinking and childhood delusion abruptly popped. The realization of it was insidious, crept over me like a hard, cold chill. A sort of existential reality settled into my young bones. I guess I've never really fully shook that feeling out of my bones.
I figured something like that was the case. Discovering that your parents have deliberately and consistently lied to you over a period of years isn't particularly fun either.
Carmel wrote:...but the good news is, when Santa Claus left, he took the bogeyman with him. ;)
Your final Christmas present from the North Pole...
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

1456200423 wrote:Go visit dictionary. :-P
Why? How do you think I'm misusing words?

Post by 1456200423 »

1456200423 wrote:Go visit dictionary. :-P
Laird wrote:Why?
Because, of your frequent failure to understand what you, yourself write, leads me to believe you might benefit from the experience.
Laird wrote: How do you think I'm misusing words?
Here is how.

Noun. credulity ie. tendency to believe readily.
Laird wrote:You have a high threshold for credulity.
Which means:

Your tolerance for naivety is high.
or
You can listen to a lot of BS for a long time.

Laird wrote:
I mean that it takes a lot before she becomes credulous herself.
Which means:

It takes a lot before she becomes naive and gullible.
or
It will take a lot before she acquires a tendency to believe readily without a proper evidence.

Also your user name does not mean what you think it does. ;-)
veritas odium parit
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

I know what credulity and credulous mean, and I did at the time I first used those words in this thread. I realise that my phrasing, "You have a high threshold for credulity", was open to an interpretation other than what I meant, and that I could have found a better phrasing.
1456200423 wrote:Also your user name does not mean what you think it does. ;-)
Go ahead and elaborate.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Carmel: yes, I'm a skeptic, but in spite of that I don't believe in the premise that all Truth can be divined through logic alone.

guest_of_logic:
Yes, I've noticed that your skepticism extends to some of the prevailing claims here at GF.

Carmel:
Yes, it does. I could write at length about it, but that's a rather vast subject and I'm not properly motivated to tackle it at present. I may address it further as topics arise. For now, I'll just say in, in brief, that I do find some value in certain aspects of their ideologies, but they are to prone to delusion and logical fallacies just like every other human being. Perhaps, this is just a facet of human behaviour that can't be escaped.

Carmel:
I have quite a few beliefs that I could never explain logically, nor am I compelled to make the attempt. I have no desire to either explain or defend them. I already know all the counterarguments, all of which, are logically viable, but in no way negate my beliefs and never will.

guest_of_logic:
Care to share?

Carmel:
not today. I'm generally private about my personal beliefs, but if I were in a particularly revelatory mood, I might make a few sporadic comments on occasion, but wouldn't engage in an in depth discussion about them.

guest_of_logic: I'm betting the Santa Claus lie cut you pretty badly.

Carmel: I presume you're being facetious.

guest_of_logic:
No, I was being serious.

Carmel:
Ok, well, in that case, I'll amend my response to read: That was a rather perceptive insight on your part.

guest_of_logic:
I figured something like that was the case. Discovering that your parents have deliberately and consistently lied to you over a period of years isn't particularly fun either.

Carmel:
Yes, I knew what you meant, that you were refering to the "lie", but actually, I consider myself lucky, in that regard. I was never indoctrinated into any religion, so, I'm grateful that I didn't have to with the myriad of lies of religion. Those lies can, and do, wreck people.

Carmel:
...but the good news is, when Santa Claus left, he took the bogeyman with him. ;)

guest_of_logic:
Your final Christmas present from the North Pole...

Carmel:
indeed!
*chuckles wryly
stephenxanders

Post by stephenxanders »

Robert wrote:Let me offer the first obligatory cute cat video:
Kitten on a Turntable
yeah! very cool video :-)
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ya, all these vids are cool. We're geniuses.

Welcome to the board!

How're things in the Philippines?

Post by 1456200423 »

1456200423 wrote:
Also your user name does not mean what you think it does. ;-)

Laird
Go ahead and elaborate.
I believe that you think that phrase "guest of logic" is synonymous with phrases like "heart of gold"
ie. Full of caring.
You are the "heart" or "guest" and you are comprised of "gold" in your case "logic". Or "Guest of logic".

When you use abstract ideas such as guest, visitor, traveler, observer etc. and logic, idea, belief, country, (btw. "money" is a abstract also.) etc. The context of your message changes.

Your user name is synonymous with:
"Visitor to Ireland" or "Guest of Poland"
ie. You are "visitor" in a land called "sanity". Enjoy your stay. :-)
veritas odium parit

Post by 1456200423 »

Carl G wrote:Ya, all these vids are cool. We're geniuses.

Welcome to the board!

How're things in the Philippines?
No idea.

pyramids, pre Egypt, ancient civilization, transformer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2g9_2o5BAM
veritas odium parit
Robert

Post by Robert »

guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

1456200423 wrote:I believe that you think that phrase "guest of logic" is synonymous with phrases like "heart of gold"
ie. Full of caring.
You are the "heart" or "guest" and you are comprised of "gold" in your case "logic". Or "Guest of logic".
That's not what I think. I chose my username for different reasons.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

To me "guest of logic" means you are logic's guest. You do not reside with logic, you visit logic. You are invited to logic's house, for tea perhaps. You may have an ongoing relationship but it is not a close one. You probably call each other at least once a week, but the conversation usually doesn't get too deep. Is logic ever your guest? Maybe, but I'm guessing logic has a more comfortable house and so does more of the entertaining.

Is that what you intended when you chose this moniker?
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

That makes sense, Carl, but it's not quite what I had in mind when I came up with the name. It was more like this:

One of the main ideas behind GF is that logic alone can uncover all ultimate truths, so I used "logic" in my username to represent the board itself. I'm not one of the admins nor even part of the "in crowd" on GF, and I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that pure logic can reveal all ultimate truths, so I figured I'd refer to myself as a guest rather than a "tenant" or the like; also, having been banned in past incarnations, I wanted to acknowledge that my continued presence under this username was at the pleasure of the hosts of the board. So there you have it: I'm a guest on this board; a guest of "logic".

Post by 1456200423 »

Day Job Orchestra's 9/11 Star Trek Satire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPH9RRfWW0

Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking (Cosmos Remixed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc
veritas odium parit
Robert

Post by Robert »

Kinda dumb sci-fi series, but I liked this scene from V: Bliss.

Post by 1456200423 »

100 billion new computers the size of a grain of sand, RFID technology, scanning, retail, wholesale and distribution. Personal indentity, privacy invasion, tracking, monitoring and surveillance. Conference keynote speaker Patrick Dixon for Siemens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxdaj9Z-Bw
veritas odium parit
Nick

Post by Nick »

Post by 1456200423 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhGcFdl9avs

The Template is a holonomic model of transcendence. It links alchemical Ceremony with brain chemistry, bio-circuitry, the endocrine system, DNA, the archetypal arena and the morphogenetic field to reveal the holonomic system of creation which births and binds the Human hologram.

The Template ceremony codes are an intelligent patterning of information that acts as an alchemical catalyst to activate dormant Human potential. They initiate a journey of healing, forgiveness, remembrance, resurrection and, ultimately, transcendence of the dualistic mortal paradigm: a journey of liberation and empowerment, to retrieve the knowledge of our true history, our souls lineage, and our celestial seeding.
veritas odium parit
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

wow..i loved that...(added to favorites) :)
will view all the videos...thanks
Robert

Post by Robert »

Post by 1456200423 »

Sexy pro erotic dancers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1uEQHuwl84

7 Ivan Sanderson, Vile Vortices, Icosahedron and Earth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b30XhO1mQ38
veritas odium parit

Post by 1456200423 »

Infowars spoof part 2 of 2 - 20 minutes with the president
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jTaYrIpgOQ
veritas odium parit
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

A rational appeal to parents regarding sexual education, with a bonus spoof rap video "Christian Perv Yo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpTokfdfV_w

The truth has never been funnier.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

who ever wrote the song probebly looked like this...

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/images/cms ... tbelly.jpg