FOOD

Post questions or suggestions here.
Kunga

FOOD

Post by Kunga »

i was wondering what geniuses like to eat :)
is your diet mainly healthy ?
or do you eat just to survive ?

i love eatting healthy /fresh (organic preferably)
i love cooking

just curious as to your eatting habits

Thankyou
Nick

Re: FOOD

Post by Nick »

My favorite foods are lobster, steak, crab, shrimp, fish, broasted chicken, BBQ, burgers, and potatoes in almost every form.

For breakfast it's usually 2 strips of bacon, 2 fried eggs, 2 slices of toast, pineapple, and orange juice, or sometimes a pancake or a bowl of cereal. For lunch it's usually soup and a tuna fish or ham and cheese sandwich. I don't always eat dinner, but when I do it's usually a mix and match of whatever is around, that is unless I decide to indulge in one of my "favorites" I listed above. Usually I just have a snack every couple hours after lunch until I go to bed. Snacks usually consist of apples, canned fruit, veggies and dip, seasoned vegetables, pop-corn, cookies, and yogurt.

I don't eat organic very often, and it's not uncommon for me to eat three or four frozen dinners through out the week as well. The only thing I really cook is breakfast.

I eat because I get hungry, I choose my food based on how it tastes and the amount of nutrients in it, and I like to moderate my overall caloric intake, especially from fatty sources.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

I let my body tell me what to eat. I have a theory that when children hate to eat crusts on bread it is because their body knows something that we don't. (Similar to a pregnant woman) So I avoid trying to eat anything that tastes horrible to a child. Cheese is another example, especially strong cheese.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

FOOD? I LIKE EATTING JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

NOTHING BUT BUNNY RUM
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-Kunga-
I was wondering what geniuses like to eat :)

-tomas-
In the 148-IQ sense, pretty much anything allowed in the books of Leviticus & Deuteronomy dietary law.

In the common sense as you seem to portray it: I'll cheat and have my healthily-prepared whole-wheat homemade peanut butter cookies (a baker's dozen in one sitting) and the girlfriend will give me the "you're nuts" look. The occasional loaf of 100% whole wheat toasted bread smeared with butter and rhubarb-raspberry jam, homemade of course. Both cookies and loaf of bread downed with my 20% cream and 80% water mixture.

Breakfast consists of 3 beef sausage links, 3 eggs over easy, 2 slices of whole-wheat bread with 100% peanut butter, buttered of course.

And a couple cups of good coffee to start out the day.

Lunch is a couple chicken thighs with skin removed, steamed broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage with yellow bellpepper with melted white/mild cheddar. The usual suspect fruits consisting of berries and/or melons. Tuna casserole is another family favorite.

Dinner depends on what the girlfriend and our daughter usually come up with. Beef roast, some sort of chicken recipe, white tuna or red/pink salmon dish. And the usual suspect vegetables. Fruit would be watermelon, cantaloupe, musk melons etc.

Of course the all-American hamburger, 85% lean meat. Homemade oven-baked fries with a tad of sunflower oil and sea salt sprinkled with Mrs. Dash seasonings. I have a liking for russets whereas the girls like the Yukon Gold or reds. With baked potatoes, it's russets with scads of butter and Daisy sour cream with a touch of fresh-cracked pepper and chives.

A dessert may consist of home-made vanilla ice cream (real cream & sugar) not the crappy, store-bought corn syrup stuff. The flavored ice creams would be real strawberries, raspberry, chokecherry, june berry, peach-rhubarb, rhubarb-raspberry etc.

-Kunga-

-tomas-
Always except for the "healthy-prepared" cookie binge and assorted-such yuppies :-)

-Kunga-
or do you eat just to survive?

-tomas-
You have one opportunity in this eternity called life .. so go all out!!!!

-kunga-
I love eating healthy /fresh (organic preferably)

-tomas-
Yup, we do ;-/ .. Tho, the organic label is overblown. We buy the meats from farmers we know, or (borrow) in a pinch from neighbors we know. The gov't "organic" label we do not trust.

-kunga-
I love cooking

-tomas-
I had to learn the hard way. My Mother (with slight exaggeration) wasn't too swift in the kitchen except for pies, cakes, cookies and breads. And my Dad never learn how to boil eggs. So it was pretty much fend for yourself, or eats junk food prepared by mom. They were Depression-era influenced where many days it was a couple slices of bread with lard for topping. Or, a potato... They both were needled-diabetics till they died.

-kunga-
Just curious as to your eating habits - Thankyou

-tomas-
Our good genius-buddy and resident sage, the esteemed Ryan Rudolph of Canadian lore had a thread on this very topic a couple years ago, or so. I think you'll find it in the back nether pages of Worldly Matters somewhere thereabouts.

PS - Store bought food is increasingly radiated, sprayed with this-and-that, BHT added to milk, flown in from other countries. I was raised on a ranch/farm combo, so we always had food to eat though during the drought of the 1950s (in North Dakota) we were forced off the land due to five consecutive crop failures etc. It toughened me up whereas if "hard times" come again at least I can plant a garden, shoot wild game essentially provide for family though girlfriend is a better shot with the guns, rifles.

The occasional marijuana tea or hemp tea. Quite delicious.

Ditto for the occasional pitcher of Budweiser keg (raw) beer - with a Cuban cigar. A night out at the local bar, shoot a few games of pool, some darts and a decent juke box. Good conversation and the occasional marijuana spliff .. makes for healthy, wealthy, wisey.

Life is hard.
Last edited by Tomas on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't run to your death
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

It's pretty much been potato gruel with the flavor packets from Ramen noodles or peanuts for the last 2-3 weeks, but I'm out of flour now, so no more gruel. The grapefruit tree is finally ripening, and I just picked up some grapefruit that blew down in this morning's storm. There are still a couple of cans of V8 left, too. I prefer to eat healthy and organic, but sometimes I have to go with economical. I generally eat vegetarian, and have stuck with vegetarianism for months at a time, but I have occasionally broken it up with raw hamburgers and raw cheeseburgers for a few days, and if I'm hungry and someone offers me a meal with meat in it, I'll probably eat it.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Right now; a lightly-breaded chicken breast along-side caesar salad and garlic toast.

A pretty typical meal for me, a day usually goes: Nature Valley bar for breakfast w/ coffee, typically Roasted Almond or Apple Crisp NV bar.

A few hours later I have some fruit, apple, orange, banana, etc... and sometimes plain raw vegetables like carrots, broccolli or colliflower.

Half-way through my day I'll eat an actual mean, either chicken breast and ceasar salad, or a clubhouse loaded with lettuce, cheese, turkey (minus mayonnaise and tomato) and a thin layer of bacon. Occasionally I'll have some fast-food, burgers or chicken. Other meals include Tacos, Rice w/ or w/o chicken and vegetables added, lasagne, spaghetti, fetucinni alfredo.

I'll make this stuff myself on the weekends, but during the week I usually hit up a restaurant or pack left-overs form the weekend or pick up a microwavable "Lean Cuisine".

In the evening I munch a bit on nuts or chips or whatever I happen to have that is portable.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:It's pretty much been potato gruel with the flavor packets from Ramen noodles or peanuts for the last 2-3 weeks, but I'm out of flour now, so no more gruel. The grapefruit tree is finally ripening, and I just picked up some grapefruit that blew down in this morning's storm. There are still a couple of cans of V8 left, too. I prefer to eat healthy and organic, but sometimes I have to go with economical. I generally eat vegetarian, and have stuck with vegetarianism for months at a time, but I have occasionally broken it up with raw hamburgers and raw cheeseburgers for a few days, and if I'm hungry and someone offers me a meal with meat in it, I'll probably eat it.

OMG...are you unemployed now ????
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

OMG, Kunga, you have a job?! Most of us at Genius aren't in that category.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Animus wrote:but during the week I usually hit up a restaurant
Forgot to add that I'm a big fan of Chinese buffet restaurants. Couple times a month. Yum yum.
Last edited by Tomas on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't run to your death
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Carl G wrote:OMG, Kunga, you have a job?! Most of us at Genius aren't in that category.

Because of the economic crunch thingy ?
Or by choice ?
Well...if you're starving it would be wise to forgo the internet expense until things improve...(i would)

Yes i am very fortunate to have a job (self employed).
And i work for a very wealthy family.

i don't eat a lot at one sitting....not a buffet person...but i love a good Chinese buffet !
There's a good one near me i frequent probebly once a month.
My favorite thing on it is the honey mustard shrimp .....MMmmMMmmMMMm..

Pizza is one of my favorite foods...i could eat it every day ..
i eat a LOT of Indian cusine....i work for a Indian family that's vegetarian...so i eat vegetarian all day...until i get home...
i could cook Indian food all the time but my family gets sick of it...i love it....
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Steven Coyle wrote:NOTHING BUT BUNNY RUM

omg...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =rum+bunny
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

the man on the street is alive and well
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

like this ?
looks like fun...i used to have fun when i was a kid (back in the 50's) looking through the trash in the alleys...back then people burned there own trash in their own yards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlFJsuBjA0
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Tomas wrote:.

-Kunga-
I was wondering what geniuses like to eat :)

-tomas-
In the 148-IQ sense, pretty much anything allowed in the books of Leviticus & Deuteronomy dietary law.

In the common sense as you seem to portray it: I'll cheat and have my healthily-prepared whole-wheat homemade peanut butter cookies (a baker's dozen in one sitting) and the girlfriend will give me the "you're nuts" look. The occasional loaf of 100% whole wheat toasted bread smeared with butter and rhubarb-raspberry jam, homemade of course. Both cookies and loaf of bread downed with my 20% cream and 80% water mixture.

Breakfast consists of 3 beef sausage links, 3 eggs over easy, 2 slices of whole-wheat bread with 100% peanut butter, buttered of course.

And a couple cups of good coffee to start out the day.

Lunch is a couple chicken thighs with skin removed, steamed broccoli or cauliflower or cabbage with yellow bellpepper with melted white/mild cheddar. The usual suspect fruits consisting of berries and/or melons. Tuna casserole is another family favorite.

Dinner depends on what the girlfriend and our daughter usually come up with. Beef roast, some sort of chicken recipe, white tuna or red/pink salmon dish. And the usual suspect vegetables. Fruit would be watermelon, cantaloupe, musk melons etc.

Of course the all-American hamburger, 85% lean meat. Homemade oven-baked fries with a tad of sunflower oil and sea salt sprinkled with Mrs. Dash seasonings. I have a liking for russets whereas the girls like the Yukon Gold or reds. With baked potatoes, it's russets with scads of butter and Daisy sour cream with a touch of fresh-cracked pepper and chives.

A dessert may consist of home-made vanilla ice cream (real cream & sugar) not the crappy, store-bought corn syrup stuff. The flavored ice creams would be real strawberries, raspberry, chokecherry, june berry, peach-rhubarb, rhubarb-raspberry etc.

-Kunga-

-tomas-
Always except for the "healthy-prepared" cookie binge and assorted-such yuppies :-)

-Kunga-
or do you eat just to survive?

-tomas-
You have one opportunity in this eternity called life .. so go all out!!!!

-kunga-
I love eating healthy /fresh (organic preferably)

-tomas-
Yup, we do ;-/ .. Tho, the organic label is overblown. We buy the meats from farmers we know, or (borrow) in a pinch from neighbors we know. The gov't "organic" label we do not trust.

-kunga-
I love cooking

-tomas-
I had to learn the hard way. My Mother (with slight exaggeration) wasn't too swift in the kitchen except for pies, cakes, cookies and breads. And my Dad never learn how to boil eggs. So it was pretty much fend for yourself, or eats junk food prepared by mom. They were Depression-era influenced where many days it was a couple slices of bread with lard for topping. Or, a potato... They both were needled-diabetics till they died.

-kunga-
Just curious as to your eating habits - Thankyou

-tomas-
Our good genius-buddy and resident sage, the esteemed Ryan Rudolph of Canadian lore had a thread on this very topic a couple years ago, or so. I think you'll find it in the back nether pages of Worldly Matters somewhere thereabouts.

PS - Store bought food is increasingly radiated, sprayed with this-and-that, BHT added to milk, flown in from other countries. I was raised on a ranch/farm combo, so we always had food to eat though during the drought of the 1950s (in North Dakota) we were forced off the land due to five consecutive crop failures etc. It toughened me up whereas if "hard times" come again at least I can plant a garden, shoot wild game essentially provide for family though girlfriend is a better shot with the guns, rifles.

The occasional marijuana tea or hemp tea. Quite delicious.

Ditto for the occasional pitcher of Budweiser keg (raw) beer - with a Cuban cigar. A night out at the local bar, shoot a few games of pool, some darts and a decent juke box. Good conversation and the occasional marijuana spliff .. makes for healthy, wealthy, wisey.

Life is hard.

OMG>>>>sounds normal and healthy to me...the brain needs protien and fresh fruits and veggies...
i hate butter on top of peanut butter ...lol

i've been wanting to go back to my hippie days again the past few years....i miss the 'stuff"
not really...but i'd like to do it occationally...at least have the option...but i don't try to ..

so far it appears that most Geniuses here eat pretty healthy and have good appetites (lol...pot will do that...lol)
sometimes i day dream of going to Amsterdam for a little fun....

i rarely drink alcohol...but i'm having a glass of wine now...been cooking all day....in the past i used to drink wine all day as i cooked,,,,lol i was numb by the time i sat down for dinner...
Elizabeth Isabelle

Kunga wrote:in the past i used to drink wine all day as i cooked,,,,lol i was numb by the time i sat down for dinner...
Heh, sounds like the Julia Child method of cooking, :)
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Carl G: FOOD? I LIKE EATTING JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING

Carmel:
OMG ME TOO EXCEPT CANNED MUSHROOMS EWW

WAit, why are we yelling? OH YEAH, FOOD!
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
Kunga wrote:in the past i used to drink wine all day as i cooked,,,,lol i was numb by the time i sat down for dinner...
Heh, sounds like the Julia Child method of cooking, :)

this was when i cooked Thanksgiving dinner....lol...i only had a glass of wine this year...my taste for alcohol and meat has been fading through the years....

i absolutely LOVE fresh mushrooms !

chicken feet ....never tried that ....i'm not attracted to the bizzare/strange foods (not that chiken feet are bizzare)

i take bathes in tummeric and besan flour regularly...that's what the Indian brides do before their marriage ceremony...but i never knew that ! my bathtub is perpetually yellow...lol
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Carmel wrote:Carl G: FOOD? I LIKE EATTING JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING

Carmel:
OMG ME TOO EXCEPT CANNED MUSHROOMS EWW

WAit, why are we yelling? OH YEAH, FOOD!

LOL...i can't rember the last time i bought a can of mushrooms...maybe 30- 40 years ago...
except foran occational cream of mushroom soup...that i just eat for soup...never put it in anything....

i love to eat baked beans COLD...right out of the can...lol

when my mother was a kid she used to meet the bums living out of box cars and eat with them....she met "Boxcar Annie " as she was known...a female hobo...don't see as many of them around....my mom was like a little wafe running around...her life story is unbeliveable !!!!
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-Kunga-
OMG>>>>sounds normal and healthy to me...the brain needs protein and fresh fruits and veggies...
I hate butter on top of peanut butter ...lol

-tomas-
Butter is next to Godliness ;-)

-kunga-
I've been wanting to go back to my hippie days again the past few years....i miss the 'stuff"
not really...but i'd like to do it occationally...at least have the option...but i don't try to ..

-tomas-
Well, I've still the full head of hair, though going white and not quite as thick as the 20s. Keep it quite shorter than five years ago but more like the Clint Eastwood "swept back" look, no hair oil etc. But better than a receding or bald head. I don't dress (the colors) as I did back in the 60s as you know, we can't go back to the good old days. Just kinda gotta make do with what it is now happenin'. Still the conservative dress style. Don't need the cops doin' the double take.

-kunga-
So far it appears that most Geniuses here eat pretty healthy and have good appetites

-tomas-
Don't eat shrimp, crab, lobster, rabbit, snake dog, cat, horse, swine, crow, etc.

-kunga-
(lol...pot will do that...lol)

-tomas-
For me, it's that the portions get heaped on. The occasional spliffy and then going to a Chinese buffet is close to heaven on earth. 'Specially when the pineapple or orange chicken is refreshed. Sometimes the beef is tempting as long the seasonings are to a tee.

-kunga-
sometimes I day dream of going to Amsterdam for a little fun....

-tomas-
The way Diebert posts sometimes I think he'd be more than happy to take you out to all the garden plots ;-)

-kunga-
I rarely drink alcohol...but i'm having a glass of wine now...

-tomas-
Oh yeah, wine is good every couple weeks or so.

-kunga-
Been cooking all day....in the past i used to drink wine all day as i cooked,,,,lol i was numb by the time i sat down for dinner...

-tomas-
Like earlier said, every now and then, provided the music is blastin'.

PS- We drink reverse-osmosis water for hydration, and for everything else cooking, steaming veggies, coffee, tea etc. Even our house plants demand it.
Don't run to your death
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

As a kid I stubbornly refused to eat meat as well as vegetables. My parents left it at that and I enjoyed good health with mostly bread, dairy, fruit and candy my first decade, without supplements*! Shattering quite a few myths about what children should eat. Although I ate near everything later in life, nowadays I'm living largely as vegetarian with the odd seafood thrown in.

*) But at some point I was attracted to small amounts of (raw) liver and sometimes even rare (roasted) beef. Not sure anymore at what age that started. At the time that was not associated with health benefits, just a voluntary crave.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:As a kid I stubbornly refused to eat meat as well as vegetables. My parents left it at that and I enjoyed good health with mostly bread, dairy, fruit and candy my first decade, without supplements*! Shattering quite a few myths about what children should eat. Although I ate near everything later in life, nowadays I'm living largely as vegetarian with the odd seafood thrown in.

*) But at some point I was attracted to small amounts of (raw) liver and sometimes even rare (roasted) beef. Not sure anymore at what age that started. At the time that was not associated with health benefits, just a voluntary crave.
Sugar is important to the grown ing brain ..you got protein with dairy..the attraction to raw liver/rare meat...most likely your body needed protien...i hope you at least eat legumes if your not eatting meat...rice & legumes makes a total protien....brown rice is healthier...i never craved for raw meat...i don't even like it pink...eatting blood turns me off...i guess i'd never make a good vampire..lol

i don't know how to highlight sentences to reply to individual statements. After all these years on the internet (since 2004).
That's why i don't respond as well as most of you. Sorry...i love reading each and every one of your posts and responses...i love knowing about your eatting habits...i guess i'm a 'foodie" LOL. It would be fun to have a restaurant...just a little intimate one.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Kunga wrote:i don't know how to highlight sentences to reply to individual statements.
To quote just a part of what a previous poster posted, when you are on the reply page, scroll down to see the previous posts. move your mouse to point at the beginning of what you want to quote, left-click on the mouse keeping the button depressed, and drag the cursor over the text you want to quote. The highlighted text will turn white and have a blue background. When all the text for a single quote is highlighted, then click the quote button in the upper right hand corner of the post box that you are quoting from.

I hope this answers your question.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:, left-click on the mouse keeping the button depressed, and drag the cursor over the text you want to quote.
This took a long time to do...everytime i highlighted it and went to the reply button on the upper right...it would erase...either that or the blue would shift to the line above it....i will keep practicing...lol