In the News

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: In the News

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Signs indicate that a volcano in Alaska, USA, may erupt soon. Alaskans are heeding the warning by purchasing dust protection...

This volcano is about 100 miles from Anchorage, the largest city in Alaska. When Mount Saint Helens erupted in 1980, it blew down/buried nearly 230 square miles of forest.

The Army, however, is moving 5 cargo planes out of Anchorage and over to Washington.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Shishaldin volcano and Cleveland volcano, both on the Aleutian Range (same as Mount Redoubt) are at yellow alert for episodes of unrest (Redoubt is on orange alert).

Cleveland had minor activity on the 21st and 23rd, and the view has been obscured by clouds since then. Cleveland is not seismically monitored.

A plume was reported on Shishaldin yesterday, but without accompanying seismic activity. A thermal anomaly was noted on the 26th.
Tomas

Girl baffles doctors, refuses to grow

Post by Tomas »

Girl baffles doctors, refuses to grow (see photos)

The brown-eyed youngster is now 14-months-old and should weigh at least 20 lb. Yet she is still the size of a newborn baby, tipping the scales at just over 7 lb and a mere 19 in.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... 5-21090438
Don't run to your death
DHodges

Re: Girl baffles doctors, refuses to grow

Post by DHodges »

Tomas wrote:Girl baffles doctors, refuses to grow
They should try yelling at her "Grow! Dammit, grow bigger!"

If that doesn't work, they could try yelling louder.

edit: Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and this should not be construed as medical advice.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-DHodges-
They should try yelling at her "Grow! Dammit, grow bigger!"

-tomas-
What I'm waiting for is to see (if) when she begans to vocalize, what will come out.

-DHodges-
If that doesn't work, they could try yelling louder.

-tomas-
Since she isn't speaking yet, perhaps she isn't hearing .. yet :-|

-DHodges-
edit: Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and this should not be construed as medical advice.

-tomas-
You softy you, you'd make a fine dad :-)
Don't run to your death
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

OzRant: Sure, I'm Revolting...

The Reverse Bank cut rates by 1% to a two-generation low of 3.25%... trying to resuscitate an overdose patient with a shot of heroin. IF loose credit and overborrowing were the problem, how is providing more cheap credit any sort of solution?

The Rudd government announced a plan to make Strayan children have poorer lives - the current government is going to steal from the future. Again - how is that a solution? Excessive debt - bringing forward future consumption - was what got us into this mess, and it's not going to get us out.

I have said this before - Keynesianism is flagrant fraud and bullshit: anyone who has read Keynes's "General Theory" will not that it is waffling, hand-waving and (for those with any technical ability whatsoever) as bad as Marx in its intellectual dishonesty.

But the parasite political class love Keynes' tripe because it green-lights a non-stop political interference in the economic life of their livestock.

Make no mistake, dear Reader - politicians are NOT interested in making you freer or safer: they are farmers, and you are their stock. They are interested in maximising their yield. You are a slave - a beast of burden - and you either do as you're told or you get culled from the herd. Your relationship with the State now, is the same as the relationship of a Dark Ages peasant to the Church.

We are at a point in societal development that is in some ways very similar to the situation when printing first became widespread: literacy increased, and 'vernacular' versions of the Bible were produced (often at great personal cost to the producer - Tyndale was burnt at the stake). Eventually though, the stranglehold of the priesthood over liturgical texts was broken, and Christianity lost sway as a genuine political force (over time) thereafter (as more and more people read the book in its entirety and said "WTF?").

And so it is now with our relation so the State: the political class has lost control over information, and more and more the people are becoming aware that political economy is a shell game practised by charlatans, mountebanks, frauds and parasites.

To rephrase Diderot - let us strangle the last politician with the entrails of the last priest, and liberty will be ours.

Sure, the politicians have all the armed goons that you can poke a stick at, but what those goons fail to appreciate is that they too are going to be betrayed - they have been promised a share of the spoils (in the form of better-than-average retirement incomes) but they have been lied to. AS they age, they will com to realise that pension indexation robs them blind in their declining years. Nothing is more anti-government than a former soldier who discovers that he killed for a lie and then was betrayed by those for whom he fought.

That said: any of them who is a 'True Believer' in his role in the repression of liberty, should be judged extremely harshly when the system breaks down (and it is in the process of doing so now: not a single Western government has a way around its long term financing requirements). I would not be averse to post-collapse death squads whose task was to hunt down senior figures in 'law enforcement' (it's in quotes because what they enforce are the opinions of politicians... the bulk of the time those opinions are worthless). Everybody thinks hunting down former GEstapo officers is a just and fair thing to do.

Jefferson said that the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. I disagree since I think patriots are idiots (notions of 'nation' are vile, racist and ignorant). So I would rephrase it: the tree of liberty must be fertilised with the blood and bones of tyrants and their enablers.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Enjoyed that rant,James.

Do you have a URL to the dudes blog you could share?
mansman

Post by mansman »

Tomas wrote:.

Girl baffles doctors, refuses to grow (see photos)

The brown-eyed youngster is now 14-months-old and should weigh at least 20 lb. Yet she is still the size of a newborn baby, tipping the scales at just over 7 lb and a mere 19 in.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... 5-21090438
I know exactly what it could be.
- FOREIGNER
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-DHodges-

-tomas-
On further reflection, perhaps what one of the commentor's said: The homeopath stated "A few doses of Silicea 30C".

And I'd ask if she was breastfed or the usual bottle-fed soy formula?
Don't run to your death
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Do you have a URL to the dudes blog you could share?
http://marketrant.blogspot.com/

For archives, scroll down on right.
mansman

Re: In the News,

Post by mansman »

Story 1: Boy, ten y.o. hangs himself in an Ohio school latrine. Reported that child was frustrated by one of the (far too many <is it 100% yet?>) female teachers, upset he proclaims he will take his own life and promptly marches off and does so.

He and several dozen other pre-teen school boys who commit suicide every year in the ISF (Independent States of Femerica<was USA>) would no doubt be alive and kicking now if only they were allowed the freedom of choice to learn and study in a SGI (Single Gender Institution) with but 50% male teachers on staff.
Or, one or the other at least.

- - - - -
Story 2: WASHINGTON (CNN) -- One week after the U.S. Army announced record suicide rates among its soldiers last year, the service is worried about a spike in possible suicides in the new year.

If reports of suicides are confirmed, more soldiers will have taken their lives in January than died in combat.

The Army said 24 soldiers are believed to have committed suicide in January alone -- six times as many as killed themselves in January 2008, according to statistics released Thursday.

The Army said it already has confirmed seven suicides, with 17 additional cases pending that it believes investigators will confirm as suicides for January.

If those prove true, more soldiers will have killed themselves than died in combat last month. According to Pentagon statistics, there were 16 U.S. combat deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq in January.

"This is terrifying," an Army official said. "We do not know what is going on."

ed note: Finally they admit it!
- - - - - -
Story 3: Obama taped mumbling in his sleep, unofficial version released on Utube--
"Oh, oh whats, whats this, oh, McCain? what, didnt I beat him? Is election still going? cant be, just cant be! WTF! what's he doing? A plan? he's speaking about his plan? But IM THE President! Im in charge, its MY PLAN that counts, not his, god-damn it he lost, that means MY god-damn plan is used, not his, whatdafukishe doing up there preaching his PLAN!?, go away godamit, you lost! now go away you ol' geizer, whatdafukaru doing trying to replace my plan with yours? You LOST! dont you remember?
Shit, i hope no one heard me, its just a dream, i think its just a dream, a bad dream, thank god it was just a dream! wheh! what a nightmare, if only it were true, my god wouldnt that be a nightmare, this country isnt THAT fudged-up yet! Unheard of, the founding fathers would rise up and out of their graves! Can you imagine if some looser tried this scheme on president Washington! He'd be going for his famous hatchet, and chop the mutha down! yes he would...

"Honey, are you awake, who are you talking to, are you talking in your sleep again?"

Pres: Its nothing, just another one of those wierd dreams, get this-- the Republicans had the nerve to blow the dust off of McCain and have him pitch his plan to replace my plan...

"McCain? But you wipped his lily-white ass! Go back to sleep Bak, no point in loosing sleep over that one, American people wouldnt stand for it anyway, besides its just too outrageous nevvahappen, good nite"
Pres: Good nite luv. No more coffee before bedtime for me!
- FOREIGNER
Tomas

Eddie Van Halen reinvents the guitar

Post by Tomas »

Eddie designs a guitar (story)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html

Video:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... nnSTCVideo
Don't run to your death
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

From Tomas

Eddie designs a guitar (story)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
The article tells how he wanted something that would not fall apart with the pounding guitars take during tours. He went with a stainless steel design. Ah, you remember the DeLorean...?
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Making this remark about "Xians" is as ignorant as the remarks made by the pastor in the article, Ataraxia. And I know you are keyboard-challenged, but the shorthand for "Christian" is vaguely offensive, like calling black people Negroes.

But for the record, you happen to be right in this case, at least. This guy is a first-class douche bag. Why would you serve a God (or anyone else) who punished one group of people by visiting misfortune upon another group? The wildfires in southern Australia may be "acts of god" as the term is used in common parlance, but the jury is even still out on that, as there have been some statements in the news about some of the fires having been intentionally set.

Actually, "douche bag" is too soft a pejorative for this asshole. He claims the fires are God's wrath over lax abortion laws Down Under. Fuck him. I have known many women who have had abortions, and not one of them did so without giving the most serious consideration to her actions. I personally believe every one of them acted responsibly over the most difficult of decisions. None went out and celebrated afterward. Each deals with the consequences of her own actions. Then along comes a shit stain like this pastor who is convinced that God thinks he is so important, that he wants him to take the misery of people who have lost their homes and and funnel it onto women who have had abortions. Because they haven't suffered enough.

For the interested, there is a commandment against taking the Lord's name in vain. Most people think that means yelling "Jesus Fucking Christ" when you hit your thumb with a hammer. Think again.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

brokenhead wrote: Making this remark about "Xians" is as ignorant as the remarks made by the pastor in the article, Ataraxia. And I know you are keyboard-challenged, but the shorthand for "Christian" is vaguely offensive, like calling black people Negroes.

Haargh Haargh,Shirley you can't be serious.Who gives a fuck if Xians are offended.

I find their idiocy vaguely offensive.

Does Xmas offend you too?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

brokenhead wrote:And I know you are keyboard-challenged, but the shorthand for "Christian" is vaguely offensive, like calling black people Negroes.
It is a perfectly legitimate usage, "shorthand" or not. Your sense of offense is vaguely offensive.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Dan Rowden wrote:Your sense of offense is vaguely offensive.
I'm vaguely offended that you're vaguely offended by Broke's sense of offense at Ataraxia's shorthand.

Actually I'm not. But it would have been cool if I was, because I bet that you're vaguely offended that I even posted this, so then you could have posted: I'm vaguely offended that you posted that you're vaguely offended that I'm vaguely offended by Broke's sense of offense at Ataraxia's shorthand.

But screw offensiveness - what I'd like to see right now is a good bit of defensiveness. And the most likely candidate for that is Pastor Danny Nalliah. I'd like to see him defend the idea of a just, loving and forgiving God burning innocent people to death for alleged crimes that other people have committed, when the supposed criminals are already going to burn in hell for eternity.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

While you're at it, ask all the Xians who think God has predetermined everything where he (and they, really) gets off blaming people for their sins and condemning them to hell.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Sure, I'll do that, plus I won't forget to ask the ones who don't believe that God predetermined everything how He can be omniscient. And if they tell me that omniscience doesn't mean that He can see everything in the future, then I'll quote Isaiah 46:10 at them: " the One telling from the beginning the finale, and from long ago the things that have not been done", and I'll remind them of their claims of Biblical prophesy.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

brokenhead wrote:Making this remark about "Xians" is as ignorant as the remarks made by the pastor in the article, Ataraxia. And I know you are keyboard-challenged, but the shorthand for "Christian" is vaguely offensive, like calling black people Negroes.
The abbreviation 'xian' was invented by medieval xians. 'X' stands for 'XPICTOC', which is greek for 'christ'.

if those assholes don't know their own history, they are the cause of their own offense.
Forethought Venus Wednesday
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Ignius wrote:Liz,

Your previous pic (the pic of you) was much better... That's just weird - do you have self-esteem issues?
I rather like the one at her website :-)
Don't run to your death
Tomas

Welcome to the Mexic0's Wonderland

Post by Tomas »

Welcome to the Mexic0's Wonderland

The latest installment to the Mexicanization of the USA series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyqpw4ASVYU
Don't run to your death
mansman

wanking will kill you, scientists agree

Post by mansman »

Too much sex = Increased Prostate Cancer Risk
By Neelam Goswami
Published on January 27, 2009 - http://www.themedguru.com

Men who indulge in frequent sexual activities in their 20s and 30s have higher risk of developing Prostate cancer, a malignancy of one of the major male sex glands, warns a new study by British researchers.

The novel research that studied the love lives of 809 adults found that men who were more sexually active in their 20s and 30s were at a substantially higher risk to get prostate cancer, the most common cancer in men.

To reach their findings, scientists at the University of Nottingham carried out a research on the sexual habits of 400 men with prostate cancer patients and 409 without the disease. The study participants were asked about their sexual behaviors while they were younger.

In their study, the researchers’ team, led by Dr Polyxeni Dimitropoulou of the Nottingham University, found a clear link between high levels of sexual hormones, sexual appetite and the development of prostate cancer.

Dr Dimitropoulou said, "What makes our study stand out from previous research is that we focused on a younger age group than normal and included both intercourse and masturbation at various stages in the participants' lives."

- FOREIGNER
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

No wonder women live longer than men.