Palestine: from the fall of the Ottomans to Today

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Jason

Re: Palestine: from the fall of the Ottomans to Today

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:Self-interest and variations in levels of empathy/compassion allow mousetraps to coexist with widespread concern for animal welfare.
No, they don't.

See, we do have humane, non-lethal mousetraps. however, though we could easily minimize mouse suffering by banning regular mousetraps, we do not. Why? because mice are icky, and we don't care about the suffering of icky animals, except perhaps in a most proximate sense, when a mouse is squirming and squealing right in front of you.
Hello!? What do you think my "variations in levels of empathy/compassion" refers to?

The same basic situation exists whereby most people are happy to go about much of their day engaging in relatively frivolous activities whilst laws and conditions in some hellhole far away allow massive human suffering that they could easily eliminate given any real effort - "Just a dollar a day will feed, clothe and educate a child"[flicks channel] and all that. Instead they're out spending hundred of dollars on the latest season's fashionable clothing.

That we may not care much for a particular animal or human doesn't mean that we don't care for animals or humans at all, and so doesn't mean that laws can't be based on authentic concern for human and animal welfare. But as long as the suffering seems distant and out of sight or somehow justified, be that human or animal suffering, people have a tendency not to care that deeply.

PS. I notice you conveniently left out my missiles and humans comparison, how do you explain that situation?
Jason

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:Oh, we could simply compare the two hypotheses, as I did above. The comparison is quite telling. A clean, concise, coherent explanation, vs. a convoluted mess of exceptions and special clauses.
"A convoluted mess of exceptions and special clauses." - that describes much human law and morality.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Jason wrote:
vicdan wrote:See, we do have humane, non-lethal mousetraps. however, though we could easily minimize mouse suffering by banning regular mousetraps, we do not. Why? because mice are icky, and we don't care about the suffering of icky animals, except perhaps in a most proximate sense, when a mouse is squirming and squealing right in front of you.
Hello!? What do you think my "variations in levels of empathy/compassion" refers to?
In that case you are agreeing with me that our sentiment, not animals' suffering, is the key determinant feature here.
The same basic situation exists whereby most people are happy to go about much of their day engaging in relatively frivolous activities whilst laws and conditions in some hellhole far away allow massive human suffering that they could easily eliminate given any real effort - "Just a dollar a day will feed, clothe and educate a child"[flicks channel] and all that. Instead they're out spending hundred of dollars on the latest season's fashionable clothing.
Yes, I know. However, the fact remains that however little we care about those people's suffering, we still make laws which protect all (within jurisdiction of course). We might not give a fuck about a homeless guy, a crackhead, or a bank CEO, but we still have laws prohibiting murdering him.

That's exactly my point. With humans, we do act as if human suffering matters in itself -- we extend rights to those we like and those we dislike, those close by and those far away. With animals, we do not act thusly.
That we may not care much for a particular animal or human doesn't mean that we don't care for animals or humans at all
I didn't say anything about not caring about animals at all. I said that we don't act as if animal suffering in itself matters. My very point is that animal cruelty laws exist because we care -- i.e. they reflect our sentiment, not the valuation of animals' own valuations and/or suffering as normatively atomic.
PS. I notice you conveniently left out my missiles and humans comparison, how do you explain that situation?
The same way I explained our use of cars to guest_of_logic.
Forethought Venus Wednesday
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Jason wrote:"A convoluted mess of exceptions and special clauses." - that describes much human law and morality.
It seems the peculiar irony of this fact is lost on you.
Jason

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:It seems the peculiar irony of this fact is lost on you.
Perhaps you'd like to find it for me then?
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

vicdan wrote:Yes, I know.
I've been donating $50/month to one of those African aid foundatiions for years.Lately I've been pondering wether there really is any point other than to salve my conscience.Perhaps the rational thing to do is acutally to buy the new pair of runners instead and leave it to the invisible hand.It trickles to the third world invariably.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

I find this discussion interesting because a little while ago, I saw an insect struggling in a spider's web, and out of compassion for it - so that it might avoid the ugly death of being dissolved and eaten alive by a spider - I freed it from the web, but I was at the same time troubled that I was depriving the spider of a meal, potentially leading to its own death. It's a real conundrum for guys like me (obviously not for you, Vic), so I find this conversation pretty relevant. The desire to solve this conundrum is why I don't dismiss out of hand your notion of intervening in the ecosystem to prevent animal deaths.
vicdan wrote:
guest_of_logic wrote:I think that you're making the resolution of this dialogue to be more black-and-white than it actually is. Let me give you an example of why I think that your reasoning that just because we don't save rabbits from hawks, it is inconsistent for us to care about what is of value to animals in general, is faulty. When we allow human beings to drive around in cars, we are accepting a certain amount of individual deaths. And yet we don't jump in and intervene to save those people by preventing people from driving cars, do we? And why not? Because we accept that for all humans the benefits of transport are worth the acceptance of a certain level of death.
But we also try to minimize these deaths -- and we do nothing of the sort for rabbits, nor would we even seriously consider doing so.

Bad analogy. if anything, it demonstrates exactly that we don't care about rabbits in themselves, because we don't try to minimize their violent, painful deaths, the way we do with humans.
We don't try to minimise them ourselves: we leave it to nature to do the minimising. Hawks don't take more than they need. It's not in their benefit to do so.
vicdan wrote:
guest_of_logic wrote:
vicdan wrote:Then why aren't we looking for better alternatives?
I'm not sure that any exist. "Leave the ecosystem to its natural functioning" and "Intervene as humans to prevent deaths in the ecosystem" when it comes to our moral obligations re animal death pretty much seem to cover it as far as I can see. Am I missing something?
No, your #2 is exactly the alternative i was speaking about. The question is, why aren't we even trying to find a way to protect the rabbits without unbalancing the ecosystem?

But you already know the answer, right? Anyone who suggested that we should try to protect rabbits from hawks would be laughed out of town, for a good reason.
I take it that you eat meat. As far as I know, most people do. It would be inconsistent for a meat-eater to believe that rabbits should be protected from hawks, so there's your obvious answer as to why we aren't trying to find a way. Most people accept the validity of the notion of a "food chain", and hold that deaths that occur as part of that process are justifiable, out of necessity in the case of carnivores, and out of some sort of idea of "the natural order" - I guess (because I'm not a meat-eating omnivore myself) - in the case of meat-eating omnivores such as humans. Just because they believe that such deaths are justified, doesn't mean that it's inconsistent for them to care in general - about other deaths, or abuse, or about, for example, the utility of the biosphere to those species of animals which die for food.

Let's assume, though, that the majority of the population were vegetarian. Then alternative #2 becomes consistent. But can it be justified? Considerations such as practicality and technological capacity would come into play, as well as impact on animal habits/lifestyle and their general well-being. It's a complex question. I don't have an answer.
vicdan wrote:We make laws to protect all people, regardless of how we feel about them individually or collectively. We emphatically do not do that for animals. in fact, animal cruelty laws protect only a tiny minority of animals
You acknowledge that those laws which protect all people have not been around forever - that originally certain groups were excluded out of prejudice. Animals are even more prejudiced against than those human groups. Our morality as enshrined in the law is still evolving, and the fact that some prejudices still exist is not proof that we do not in the general case care, it's just proof that our laws have further to evolve.
vicdan wrote:and only from suffering inflicted by humans.
I've dealt with this already: a certain level of death in a balanced ecosystem is necessary short of implementing alternative #2, which to a meat-eater is inconsistent, and which to a vegetarian like myself is an interesting - if somewhat challenging - proposition.
vicdan wrote:So which hypothesis do you think fits this fact better -- the supposition that we try to minimize animal suffering, or the supposition that we try to minimize our pangs conscience and our corruption by cruelty?
The former, but I don't deny that the latter has an impact.
vicdan wrote:Remember, the number of cases where animals suffer greatly without malicious human intent vastly outnumber the animals who suffer greatly through malicious human intent. Hell, the agricultural combines kill something around ten rodents per acre when harvesting various grains. Do we give a fuck?
I can't speak for anyone but myself: yes, I do care.
vicdan wrote:Even vegetarians like you -- humane! no animal suffering! -- cause with their industrially farmed diet more deaths than would be caused by someone who only ate range-grazed beef (I ran the number once, the latter would cause about 15 times fewer deaths than the former IIRC).
Interesting. I don't eat many grains anyway, but now I'll investigate the possibility of removing them from my diet completely, unless/until I can find a source which doesn't entail this consequence. It could be challenging: although I don't eat much bread, I do eat a fair amount of pasta. Hmm, what else I wonder? Grains are probably in a lot of stuff that I don't think about.
vicdan wrote:
No, it's not the point. The point is that exceptions don't deny the generalisation.
No, it means that those 'exceptions' aren't in fact exceptions at all, and instead support my point. We haven't even started extending universal moral concern to humans until recently.
Exactly: the morality in our law is still evolving, and animals (and particular groups of animals) are still prejudiced against, but we do nevertheless in general care about them.
vicdan wrote:So tell me, what value is more important than the suffering of all those countless animals?
Without it (assuming that we don't implement alternative #2), then those countless animals wouldn't even exist (which they clearly value doing - no animal that I know of gives its life up voluntarily for no good reason, except for those wacky lemmings), so the answer to your question is that their existence is more important than the suffering which it entails.
vicdan wrote:What is it about nature running its course that matters so much? Are you now going to claim that the ecosystem has intrinsic valuation, apart from all the animals which comprise it?
Interesting question. I'm not entirely sure what "intrinsic valuation" means - value seems to be an aspect of consciousness, and inherently subjective, but to the extent that I understand what you're asking, my gut feeling is that yes, the ecosystem does have intrinsic valuation. It's a bit like asking me, "Is the universe intrinsically valuable?" Obviously from my perspective it's valuable, because without it I wouldn't exist, and I value my own existence, but more than that, it seems to me that the existence of something rather than nothing is an "intrinsically" valuable thing. In the same way, the existence of the ecosystem - a very diverse, complex entity supporting a variety of conscious experiences - rather than its absence, seems to me to be "intrinsically" valuable.
vicdan wrote:The comparison is quite telling. A clean, concise, coherent explanation, vs. a convoluted mess of exceptions and special clauses.
Your "clean, concise, coherent explanation" is both overly simplistic and untrue. "It's all about us": we only care about the suffering of animals to the extent that it makes us feel bad. Very cynical, Vic. It's not false that, generally, the suffering of animals makes us feel bad, but it's false that this is the sole motivation for our willingness to take them into consideration. Our sense of morality is more developed than that.
vicdan wrote:The point of QDT is that evidence never compels any specific conclusion. You can always grab some other conclusion, and with enough twisting and turning and spinning, make it fit. An epistemic system can only be judged holistically, on its systemic merit.
Yes: the ability to assess the overall plausibility and consistency of one's thoughts is very important.
Jason

Post by Jason »

guest_of_logic wrote:I find this discussion interesting because a little while ago, I saw an insect struggling in a spider's web, and out of compassion for it - so that it might avoid the ugly death of being dissolved and eaten alive by a spider - I freed it from the web, but I was at the same time troubled that I was depriving the spider of a meal, potentially leading to its own death. It's a real conundrum for guys like me (obviously not for you, Vic), so I find this conversation pretty relevant. The desire to solve this conundrum is why I don't dismiss out of hand your notion of intervening in the ecosystem to prevent animal deaths.
I don't dismiss the notion either, it's just a monumental task given our current level and direction of development. Guest, you might be interested in The Hedonistic Imperative which "outlines how genetic engineering and nanotechnology will abolish suffering in all sentient life."
Hedonistic Imperative wrote:From a notional God's-eye perspective, I'd argue that morally we should care just as much about the abuse of functionally equivalent non-human animals as we do about members of our own species - about the abuse and killing of a pig as we do about the abuse or killing of a human toddler. This violates our human moral intuitions; but our moral intuitions simply can't be trusted. They reflect our anthropocentric bias - not just a moral limitation but an intellectual and perceptual limitation too. It's not that there are no differences between human and non-human animals, any more than there are no differences between black people and white people, freeborn citizens and slaves, men and women, Jews and gentiles, gays or heterosexuals. The question is rather: are they morally relevant differences? This matters because morally catastrophic consequences can ensue when we latch on to a real but morally irrelevant difference between sentient beings. [Recall how Aristotle, for instance, defended slavery. How could he be so blind?] Our moral intuitions are poisoned by genetic self-interest - they weren't designed to take an impartial God's-eye view. But greater intelligence brings a greater cognitive capacity for empathy - and potentially an extended circle of compassion.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Jason wrote:Guest, you might be interested in The Hedonistic Imperative which "outlines how genetic engineering and nanotechnology will abolish suffering in all sentient life."
Neat, thanks for that, I'll add it to my bookmarks, and maybe browse through it when the urge strikes. I agree strongly with the quotation that you provided; here's a comment on something that caught my eye:
Hedonistic Imperative wrote:It's not that there are no differences between human and non-human animals, any more than there are no differences between black people and white people, freeborn citizens and slaves, men and women, Jews and gentiles, gays or heterosexuals. The question is rather: are they morally relevant differences?
Precisely. As I have tried asserting to Vic a couple of times (and which assertions - if I recall correctly - he completely ignored), animals are identical to humans in a very important way: they can experience both suffering and pleasure, and this is the most relevant moral consideration. That we are vastly more intelligent than most of them is largely (but obviously not completely) irrelevant to moral concerns.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

guest_of_logic wrote:they can experience both suffering and pleasure, and this is the most relevant moral consideration.
Only if you consider the suffering and pleasure of animals to have something to do with morality.
That we are vastly more intelligent than most of them is largely (but obviously not completely) irrelevant to moral concerns.
Only if you consider intelligence and wisdom (awareness of truth) to be largely irrelevant to moral concerns.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

That post was a bit of a non-event, Kevin. Was there something substantive that you wanted to say? Did you want to criticise the moral considerations that I asserted, or even suggest alternatives?
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

guest_of_logic wrote:I find this discussion interesting because a little while ago, I saw an insect struggling in a spider's web, and out of compassion for it - so that it might avoid the ugly death of being dissolved and eaten alive by a spider - I freed it from the web, but I was at the same time troubled that I was depriving the spider of a meal, potentially leading to its own death. It's a real conundrum for guys like me
is it? Did you go around looking for insects trapped in spiderwebs, freeing them -- or did you only free the one which, by fortuitous incident, happened to intrude into your personal sphere?
We don't try to minimise them ourselves: we leave it to nature to do the minimising. Hawks don't take more than they need. It's not in their benefit to do so.
And we potentially could make it smaller still, by devising a method of feeding the hawks humanely, while humanely controlling the rabbit population.

And then perhaps we could de-antler the male deer, so they don't have bloody painful fights over females.
I take it that you eat meat. As far as I know, most people do. It would be inconsistent for a meat-eater to believe that rabbits should be protected from hawks
That was why I brought up PETA and ELF earlier. Do you think they would support the idea of such massive 'humane' intervention in the ecosystem?

I obviously don't consider myself a standard of moral sentiment that you should take seriously.
Let's assume, though, that the majority of the population were vegetarian. Then alternative #2 becomes consistent. But can it be justified? Considerations such as practicality and technological capacity would come into play, as well as impact on animal habits/lifestyle and their general well-being.
Right. However, if we genuinely cared about animals' suffering in itself, we would be at least trying to find ways to minimize violent animal deaths. Again, do you think ELF and PETA would care for that?
You acknowledge that those laws which protect all people have not been around forever - that originally certain groups were excluded out of prejudice. Animals are even more prejudiced against than those human groups.
You are using the word 'prejudice' in a way which bears absolutely no relationship to its actual common meaning, AFAICT. You are taking that word as applied to various demographic groups (women, blacks, gays) as indicating a judgment of person without consideration for their individual traits, and applying it to animals where these considerations don't apply at all.

Animal cruelty laws cover the suffering of pet bunnies at the hands of humans, but not at the hands of a household dog for example. In which universe can this distinction in laws be explained by prejudice on our part? Is this difference better explained by the supposition that we are prejudiced against bunnies who let themselves be bitten by dogs, but not bunnies which get hurt by humans -- or by the supposition that we aren't punishing a human for inflicting suffering, but punishing a human for inflicting suffering?

We care, on a societal level, if a human gets bitten by a dog. We similarly care if a human hurts a pet bunny. We don't thusly care if a dog bites a pet bunny. We only care when humans are involved, which is perfectly explained by the supposition that we care about human suffering and human cruelty in themselves, but not about animal suffering by itself. Your alternative explanation, on the other hand, has holes big enough to drive a truck through.
vicdan wrote:So which hypothesis do you think fits this fact better -- the supposition that we try to minimize animal suffering, or the supposition that we try to minimize our pangs conscience and our corruption by cruelty?
The former
Which facts does the former hypothesis, with all of its twists and exceptions and special pleadings, explain better than the latter hypothesis?

Note that your desire to believe that animal suffering has intrinsic value is not such a fact.
Interesting. I don't eat many grains anyway, but now I'll investigate the possibility of removing them from my diet completely, unless/until I can find a source which doesn't entail this consequence
All mechanically harvested field-grown plants do, AFAIK, to a greater or lesser extent, including organic ones. if you go all hydroponic, you might virtually eliminate the deaths of mammals and birds from your conscience, but there will assuredly still be insects.
It could be challenging: although I don't eat much bread, I do eat a fair amount of pasta. Hmm, what else I wonder? Grains are probably in a lot of stuff that I don't think about.
But the point is, you didn't care to investigate, did you? You were content eliminating obvious animal deaths, you didn't give a second thought to figuring out of there are any unobvious deaths involved. It's just like with that insect in a spiderweb.
Without it (assuming that we don't implement alternative #2), then those countless animals wouldn't even exist
meaning, you consider it as sufferign worth prevention when a potential animal is never born?

Dude, how far are you going to go to invent excuses for your unsupportable position? By this standard, you should be completely against abortion and any contraception, because each time safe sex takes place, it's a potential child that wouldn't even exist. For that matter, each time a woman doesn't have unsafe sex during ovulation, that's another potential child that wouldn't even exist. Were you honest about this reasoning, you would be a fertility nut; but I am positive you aren't, and this line of argument is simply yet another ad-hoc excuse you utilize to try to salvage a completely dismembered thesis.
Your "clean, concise, coherent explanation" is both overly simplistic and untrue.
it may be simple, but it doesn't become simplistic unless it sacrifices explanatory power for simplicity; which it doesn't -- in fact it has quite a bit more explanatory power than your alternative (e.g. see the point about hawk/rabbit and dog/rabbit issues). As to it being untrue, well, your increasingly desperate efforts to salvage your alternative seem to indicate otherwise.
"It's all about us": we only care about the suffering of animals to the extent that it makes us feel bad. Very cynical, Vic.
You can call it cynicism if you wish. However, I am simply ripping away your illusions about yourself and humanity.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

guest_of_logic wrote:As I have tried asserting to Vic a couple of times (and which assertions - if I recall correctly - he completely ignored)
I tend to do that with simple assertions.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

vicdan wrote:
guest_of_logic wrote:I find this discussion interesting because a little while ago, I saw an insect struggling in a spider's web, and out of compassion for it - so that it might avoid the ugly death of being dissolved and eaten alive by a spider - I freed it from the web, but I was at the same time troubled that I was depriving the spider of a meal, potentially leading to its own death. It's a real conundrum for guys like me
is it? Did you go around looking for insects trapped in spiderwebs, freeing them -- or did you only free the one which, by fortuitous incident, happened to intrude into your personal sphere?
You missed my point. The conundrum was not that I needed to go around freeing all insects from spiders' webs, but that I didn't know how to resolve the competing interests of the insects and the spiders.
vicdan wrote:
And we potentially could make it smaller still, by devising a method of feeding the hawks humanely, while humanely controlling the rabbit population.
I'll answer this below, where you assert that we should at least be trying to do stuff like this.
vicdan wrote:And then perhaps we could de-antler the male deer, so they don't have bloody painful fights over females.
Yeah, that's where my point about considerations of impact on animal habits/lifestyle comes into play. Perhaps de-antlered deer would suffer even more psychologically through their inability to engage in those fights in the way that they expect to be able to than through the physical suffering of the fight itself. I'm not saying that this would certainly be the case, just that we'd need to consider it as a possibility.
vicdan wrote:
I take it that you eat meat. As far as I know, most people do. It would be inconsistent for a meat-eater to believe that rabbits should be protected from hawks
That was why I brought up PETA and ELF earlier. Do you think they would support the idea of such massive 'humane' intervention in the ecosystem?
I have no idea. I'd be interested to find out though.
vicdan wrote:I obviously don't consider myself a standard of moral sentiment that you should take seriously.
You mean because you eat meat and I don't?
vicdan wrote:
Let's assume, though, that the majority of the population were vegetarian. Then alternative #2 becomes consistent. But can it be justified? Considerations such as practicality and technological capacity would come into play, as well as impact on animal habits/lifestyle and their general well-being.
Right. However, if we genuinely cared about animals' suffering in itself, we would be at least trying to find ways to minimize violent animal deaths.
As Jason points out: at this point, the scale of the venture is too massive to be considered a reasonable proposition. It would also consume too much human labour, which would have to be funded from already tight government budgets, since there's no profit to be made, when we have many, many human problems to deal with that take (funding) precedence, such as - on the global scale - third-world poverty and global warming (whether or not you believe in it, politically it is a reality), and - on the local scale - homelessness and drug addiction.
vicdan wrote:
You acknowledge that those laws which protect all people have not been around forever - that originally certain groups were excluded out of prejudice. Animals are even more prejudiced against than those human groups.
You are using the word 'prejudice' in a way which bears absolutely no relationship to its actual common meaning, AFAICT. You are taking that word as applied to various demographic groups (women, blacks, gays) as indicating a judgment of person without consideration for their individual traits, and applying it to animals where these considerations don't apply at all.
You tell wrongly. Prejudice: "an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason." All that prejudice requires is differences, and unfair discrimination based on those differences. Animals are different from humans, and in addition contain different species. What more do you need as a basis for prejudice?
vicdan wrote:Animal cruelty laws cover the suffering of pet bunnies at the hands of humans, but not at the hands of a household dog for example. In which universe can this distinction in laws be explained by prejudice on our part?
None that I'm aware of. Those aren't the sorts of laws that I had in mind. I had in mind the laws that you mentioned earlier, whereby certain classes of animals are protected more or less than other classes. I think that you mentioned that invertebrates were offered less protection: i.e. we have a prejudice against invertebrates.

In any case, most people that I know would do their best to prevent their household dog from mauling their pet bunnies, but since we don't consider dogs to be moral agents, why should the law take such situations into account?
vicdan wrote:Is this difference better explained by the supposition that we are prejudiced against bunnies who let themselves be bitten by dogs, but not bunnies which get hurt by humans -- or by the supposition that we aren't punishing a human for inflicting suffering, but punishing a human for inflicting suffering?
I don't understand what the differing emphases were supposed to achieve. Please rephrase.
vicdan wrote:We care, on a societal level, if a human gets bitten by a dog. We similarly care if a human hurts a pet bunny. We don't thusly care if a dog bites a pet bunny.
Speak for yourself - as I wrote above, most people that I know care. Of course you get the hunting types who like to see dogs rip foxes to shreds, but they're sadists as far as I'm concerned.
vicdan wrote:We only care when humans are involved, which is perfectly explained by the supposition that we care about human suffering and human cruelty in themselves, but not about animal suffering by itself.
Or by the supposition that we don't consider animals to be moral agents, and therefore don't make laws prescribing their actions.
vicdan wrote:Your alternative explanation, on the other hand, has holes big enough to drive a truck through.
Try it. I haven't seen a truck crash in a while. :-)
vicdan wrote:
The former
Which facts does the former hypothesis, with all of its twists and exceptions and special pleadings, explain better than the latter hypothesis?
I can't prove it as a fact, but I suspect that if we did the research we could establish it as one: that the majority of people, when asked "Do you believe that we should minimise animal suffering in general for the sake of animals?" would answer "Yes".
vicdan wrote:
Interesting. I don't eat many grains anyway, but now I'll investigate the possibility of removing them from my diet completely, unless/until I can find a source which doesn't entail this consequence
All mechanically harvested field-grown plants do, AFAIK, to a greater or lesser extent, including organic ones.
Nah. I've picked several different types of fruit and vegetables on various farms, and the mechanical equipment that was used (when working as a team) was essentially tractors - or tractor-like contraptions - where the only point of contact with the earth was the tyres, and that moved so slowly that any animal other than a snail had plenty of time to get out of the path. When working individually - piecework - then tractors weren't used, but other faster vehicles with trays were used to come around and pick up the crates/sacks/what-have-you. Potentially those faster vehicles could run over small animals, but that's no different to road vehicles.
vicdan wrote:But the point is, you didn't care to investigate, did you?
Actually, I have to admit that I've heard something like that before, I just hadn't chosen to act on it yet. I'm not perfect.
vicdan wrote:You were content eliminating obvious animal deaths, you didn't give a second thought to figuring out of there are any unobvious deaths involved.
Right - I haven't done that research. I incorporate knowledge as I become aware of it incidentally though - for example when I moved into my first share house, one of my flatmates alerted me to the fact that most cheeses contain rennet - an enzyme taken from the stomachs of slaughtered cows - as a setting agent. I stopped eating cheeses containing rennet. Now that I live in a small country town with supermarkets that don't stock any non-rennet cheeses, I've guiltily lapsed. I've asked them to start stocking a suitable cheese but my request must have got lost. That reminds me to keep on asking.
vicdan wrote:
Without it (assuming that we don't implement alternative #2), then those countless animals wouldn't even exist
meaning, you consider it as sufferign worth prevention when a potential animal is never born?
I'm having trouble parsing that sentence, but from what I suspect you mean, my answer is "no". I'm not trying to argue for unlimited existence, just that without the suffering in a balanced ecosystem, animal existence at all would be impossible.
vicdan wrote:Dude, how far are you going to go to invent excuses for your unsupportable position? By this standard, you should be completely against abortion and any contraception, because each time safe sex takes place, it's a potential child that wouldn't even exist. For that matter, each time a woman doesn't have unsafe sex during ovulation, that's another potential child that wouldn't even exist. Were you honest about this reasoning, you would be a fertility nut; but I am positive you aren't, and this line of argument is simply yet another ad-hoc excuse you utilize to try to salvage a completely dismembered thesis.
You've misunderstood my line of argument.
vicdan wrote:
Your "clean, concise, coherent explanation" is both overly simplistic and untrue.
it may be simple, but it doesn't become simplistic unless it sacrifices explanatory power for simplicity; which it doesn't -- in fact it has quite a bit more explanatory power than your alternative (e.g. see the point about hawk/rabbit and dog/rabbit issues).
It wouldn't explain what I earlier wrote I suspect to be a fact: that most people would answer yes to a question about minimising animal suffering for the sake of animals.
vicdan wrote:As to it being untrue, well, your increasingly desperate efforts to salvage your alternative seem to indicate otherwise.
How could you describe someone so calm, cool and collected as desperate? :-)
vicdan wrote:You can call it cynicism if you wish. However, I am simply ripping away your illusions about yourself and humanity.
Rather, you're revealing your own delusion.
vicdan wrote:I tend to do that with simple assertions.
Throw me a counter-assertion then. Or ask for justification.
Tomas

Off-Topic Chat Fest

Post by Tomas »

-Ataraxia-
I've been donating $50/month to one of those African aid foundatiions for years.

-tomas-
What is the country-of-origin and/or religious makeup of your donor child?

Farm murders in South Africa - Where's the Outcry?
http://beyondbabylon.blogspot.com/2009/ ... heres.html

-Ataraxia-
Lately I've been pondering whether there really is any point other than to salve my conscience.

-tomas-
Consider donating time and money to some local endeavor, certainly there is a Big Brother/Big Sister (whatever) type organization around your neck of the woods? If you want to make a real difference, do it on your turf :-)

-Ataraxia-
Perhaps the rational thing to do is actually to buy the new pair of runners instead and leave it to the invisible hand.

-tomas-
Buy a few pair and hand out in your local slum. The first world is poverty-stricken.

-Ataraxia
It trickles to the third world invariably.

-tomas-
My 40 years of travels have told me that nothing really changes in the third world, the more they stay the same. If anything, the developed nations are being transformed into second world nation-states.

Consider putting the $50.00 a month into your local area, then you have first hand knowledge where it is going.
Don't run to your death
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

guest_of_logic wrote:You missed my point. The conundrum was not that I needed to go around freeing all insects from spiders' webs, but that I didn't know how to resolve the competing interests of the insects and the spiders.
And you missed my point -- that you only tried to resolve that conundrum because it was in front of your eyes.
vicdan wrote:I obviously don't consider myself a standard of moral sentiment that you should take seriously.
You mean because you eat meat and I don't?
Among other things, yes; but mostly because my individual moral sentiment has pretty much zero weight as evidence in this argument.
As Jason points out: at this point, the scale of the venture is too massive to be considered a reasonable proposition. It would also consume too much human labour, which would have to be funded from already tight government budgets, since there's no profit to be made, when we have many, many human problems to deal with that take (funding) precedence, such as - on the global scale - third-world poverty and global warming (whether or not you believe in it, politically it is a reality), and - on the local scale - homelessness and drug addiction.
A few million painful animal deaths don't really mean much next to a few homeless guys. Kinda my point, no?
You tell wrongly. Prejudice: "an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason." All that prejudice requires is differences, and unfair discrimination based on those differences. Animals are different from humans, and in addition contain different species. What more do you need as a basis for prejudice?
But my opinion of animals is in no way unfavorable, nor is it formed without knowledge, thought, or reason. :)

When prejudice is applied to, say, a black man, what it means is that we decide he is a bad person, or something, based purely on the fact of his being black, without taking into account his individual attributes. However, whether animals' individual attributes are to be taken into account is precisely the point of contention. By accusing me of prejudice, you are making a circular argument.
None that I'm aware of. Those aren't the sorts of laws that I had in mind. I had in mind the laws that you mentioned earlier, whereby certain classes of animals are protected more or less than other classes.
This is a part of the same problem. Consistently, the animal cruelty laws are, if you look under the surface, concerned with human action and human sentiment, not animal itself. Thus, animal suffering doesn't really matter on societal if it wasn't caused by a human -- not even if the animal in question would be protected from human cruelty.

The consistent theme, which i show you time and time again and which you keep backing away from, is that it's human sentiment and human action which are the salient features; that we only care about animals in relationship to humans, not in themselves. All the valuation occurs through the human prism. As much as you talk about animals' valuation being normatively atomic, we still filter it through our own normative prism, even though we could filter it through our epistemic prism instead.
In any case, most people that I know would do their best to prevent their household dog from mauling their pet bunnies, but since we don't consider dogs to be moral agents, why should the law take such situations into account?
To protect bunnies of course. An insane murderer might not bear responsibility for his murder, but we still try to prevent further murders by locking him up. Same principle would apply, if we cared about the bunny's suffering in itself -- but we don't.
vicdan wrote:Is this difference better explained by the supposition that we are prejudiced against bunnies who let themselves be bitten by dogs, but not bunnies which get hurt by humans -- or by the supposition that we aren't punishing a human for inflicting suffering, but punishing a human for inflicting suffering?
I don't understand what the differing emphases were supposed to achieve. Please rephrase.
The point was that the effect our laws try to prevent is not animal suffering, but human infliction of animal suffering; i.e. what matters is not whether an animal suffers, but whether a human caused it.
vicdan wrote:We care, on a societal level, if a human gets bitten by a dog. We similarly care if a human hurts a pet bunny. We don't thusly care if a dog bites a pet bunny.
Speak for yourself - as I wrote above, most people that I know care.
Then why aren't there laws protecting bunnies from dog bites and birds from cats? Cats most certainly don't need to hunt birds to survive, we feed them already.
Or by the supposition that we don't consider animals to be moral agents, and therefore don't make laws prescribing their actions.
<sigh> Dude, keep up. A dog is not a moral agent, but we still have laws protecting humans from dog bites. Something doesn't have to be a moral agent in order to be subject to laws. Laws can have a purely preventive function, without connotation of moral responsibility.
I can't prove it as a fact, but I suspect that if we did the research we could establish it as one: that the majority of people, when asked "Do you believe that we should minimise animal suffering in general for the sake of animals?" would answer "Yes".
Of course they would. And yet at the same time, most people would act exactly as you did -- try to save a critter in front of their eyes, and ignore the rest of it -- and eat meat, too.

Most people believe falsehoods about their own beliefs.
I'm having trouble parsing that sentence, but from what I suspect you mean, my answer is "no". I'm not trying to argue for unlimited existence, just that without the suffering in a balanced ecosystem, animal existence at all would be impossible.
Why? If the supposition is that the ecosystem would be 'unbalanced' because we would be balancing it manually instead of letting it run on its own, animals would most certainly exist.
It wouldn't explain what I earlier wrote I suspect to be a fact: that most people would answer yes to a question about minimising animal suffering for the sake of animals.
most people believe themselves to be above-average drivers (around 80% do, IIRC). There's your explanation right there, dude. Most people are absolutely terrible at figuring out what's going on inside their own heads.
How could you describe someone so calm, cool and collected as desperate? :-)
Very easily. You are piling exceptions upon special pleadings, inventing increasingly far-out new arguments to retain your original thesis. Yes, these are actions indicative of intellectual desperation.
Throw me a counter-assertion then. Or ask for justification.
You don't have any, you made that clear enough already.
Leyla Shen

Life's a bitch...

Post by Leyla Shen »

"brokenhead," I find it very hard to take you seriously with that name. By any chance, will you provide your first name so I can pay you at least that degree of respect in future?
You are incapable of seeing a bigger picture.
I suppose you’re about to prove that, then:
What Victor is telling you is that wealth is not a conserved quantity. Human labor has created wealth.
I don’t know why Victor would go to such great lengths just to tell someone defending Marx that human labour has created wealth.
You are saying that the arbitrage of which he is speaking leaves no trace of anything of value (1).
No, it’s the stutter in your thinking that has produced this result.

I said that arbitrage is the manipulation of wealth and, it follows, has value only in that context (2). Victor is arguing that it creates wealth—at least, that’s apparently my misguided impression of the events, so far. Consequently, I assume that you’re now going to show me from what follows how the above statements marked 1 and 2 mean the same thing.
In what sense are tunnels beneath rivers and channels and buildings that reach the sky without lasting value?
I haven’t discussed such a thing as “lasting value” (assets). I have primarily been debating the nature of the commodity.

How do you plan to use assets as commodities to defend the argument that arbitrage CREATES rather than manipulates wealth?
No one is arguing that there is any such thing as permanence in an absolute sense. But it is just this fact that goods and services have values that are spatially and temporally relative which makes the creation of wealth possible.
I don’t see how any of your thinking follows or is anywhere near the actual point at hand. So, I shall just have to take them at face---value.

You say: Victor is arguing for wealth as a variable quantity that has been created by human labour. Further, you say, he is arguing that because value itself is “spacetime-relative,” the creation of wealth is possible.

From this, I can only conclude that there are two ways to create wealth, 1) through the value of human labour (mental and physical) in the present, relative to 2) through the value of human labour (mental and physical) in the future.

How does it follow that arbitrage CREATES rather than MANIPULATES wealth?
The chickens are not wealth.
No, they’re very well done by now. Do try to stay fresh.
Feeding them, tending them, and slaughtering them creates the wealth.
Well, yes, that’s my argument, actually.
They are no good on the killing floor to anyone, so getting from there to point B also creates wealth.

Oh, well—since you’ve asserted it creates wealth rather than manipulates it, it must be true.

To bring the argument accurately up-to-date, Victor is arguing that arbitrage creates wealth “by excising inefficiency from the system.” This particular argument developed as the result of the following premise, paraphrased from Marx: Nature not ideas as the source of wealth. Such a statement really has broad implications, and Marx does indeed expand upon them.

Back to Victor’s modular notion of arbitrage CREATING wealth: in any given healthy economy (where income and expenditure are essentially equal; when the population is mostly employed, eating, feeding and sleeping well—looking after its own), arbitrage/trade excises inefficiency by providing for needs that would otherwise have imbalanced that equality; i.e., by supplying necessary products at an “affordable price.” Note that it doesn’t matter how much that economy is making in terms of $.

Now, let’s take an unhealthy economy (limited natural resources, high unemployment, etc.)—oh, say, Bolivia and the IMF’s “structural adjustment program” (and I will come back to say more about it specifically but leave it with you for the moment for contemplation in the following context).

Remembering that the fundamental idea behind Marxist theory is the materialist conception of history (aka, historical materialism). Consequently, “It is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence, but their social existence that determines their consciousness” (Marx). What this very simply means is that, for example, “noble” and “proletarian” existences are not the product of men’s consciousness. Rather, men’s social existence determines their consciousness.

Anyone who knows Marx (and it is very clear to me, ironically even in his recent posts on other issues, that Victor absolutely does not), further understands the contradiction between the member of civil society and the citizen—they further understand Marx’s distinction between political and human emancipation (the emancipation of man from himself):
Political emancipation is the reduction of man, on the one hand, to a member of civil society, to an egoistic, independent individual, and, on the other hand, to a citizen, a juridical person—Marx.
Of course, examined as it is in its historical context, the term “political emancipation” refers to the emancipation (and modern social relations) brought about by the French and American revolutions and crystalised in the form of the Rights of Man and the Rights of the Citizen. Historically, revolution is the development, the political emancipation of man, FROM the feudal system of social relations (“natural man” [therefore, innate consciousness] appearing as relations in the system of estates, guilds, etc, and as privilege) TO a capital system of social relations (“natural man” as bourgeoisie, private interest, independent individual by law). FROM, “in the name of the King” TO “We the People.”

Political emancipation delivers man as a divided subject—concrete (egoistic) and abstract (political) man. The “rights of man” appear as “natural” rights clearly not because they are, in fact, absolute, universal and/or inalienable but precisely because the conscious activity of men is concentrated on the political act [this is a key point!]. As a result, the passive, egoistic “man,” the member of civil society—the unpolitical man—appears as “natural man,” and: “the true man is recognized only in the shape of the abstract citizen”—Marx.

Human emancipation, then, can only occur when man himself ceases to separate social power from himself in the shape of political power.

You want to talk big picture, eh? Stop playing with small fry.

Back to address the balance ASAP.
Between Suicides
vicdan

Re: Life's a bitch...

Post by vicdan »

Leyla Shen wrote:How does it follow that arbitrage CREATES rather than MANIPULATES wealth?
When manipulating something increases its value from $10 to $20, you have just created $10 of wealth.

You can fine-slice the semantics and definitions, and it won't help you one bit. When you go from $10 to $20, whatever action you took to get from the former to the latter has created $10 worth of wealth. Whether that transition took some manual labor or some arbitrage to improve the usefulness of the goods in question, you have still made the goods generally more useful than before. You have created wealth. Well, not you personally, as I doubt you have created much wealth in your life, but you in the generic sense.

Whether you increased the apparent value of a chicken by cooking it, or by delivering it to the people who have a severe shortage of chickens, makes no qualitative difference. Both actions increase the chicken's price and thus create wealth -- the former through application of manual labor, the latter through arbitrage (the manual labor aspect of arbitrage, i.e. the actual work of hauling the chickens over, is superfluous, because it's separable from the value of information that is the heart of arbitrage).
You want to talk big picture, eh? Stop playing with small fry.
Indeed. :)

So where are economic predictions made using these supposedly superior marxist theories of economics? Did the world blink and miss them? Empirical reality is the ultimate test of any theory. Show me the money!

You and your bearded idol are full of shit. Your intellectual dishonesty and cluelessness boggle the mind.
Jason

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:The same basic situation exists whereby most people are happy to go about much of their day engaging in relatively frivolous activities whilst laws and conditions in some hellhole far away allow massive human suffering that they could easily eliminate given any real effort - "Just a dollar a day will feed, clothe and educate a child"[flicks channel] and all that. Instead they're out spending hundred of dollars on the latest season's fashionable clothing.
Yes, I know. However, the fact remains that however little we care about those people's suffering, we still make laws which protect all (within jurisdiction of course). We might not give a fuck about a homeless guy, a crackhead, or a bank CEO, but we still have laws prohibiting murdering him.

That's exactly my point. With humans, we do act as if human suffering matters in itself -- we extend rights to those we like and those we dislike, those close by and those far away. With animals, we do not act thusly.
Wrong. As with laws dealing with humans, animal welfare laws do in fact extend very far beyond those animals who are near and dear to us. The following certainly applies "to those we like and those we dislike, those close by and those far away", you might be surprised at just how broad and universal it is:

Western Australia - Animal Welfare Act 2002
Western Australia - Animal Welfare Act 2002 wrote:SECTION 5. Interpretation

(1) In this Act -

"animal" means -
(a) a live vertebrate; or
(b) a live invertebrate of a prescribed kind,
other than a human or a fish (as defined in the Fish
Resources Management Act 1994)
Western Australia - Animal Welfare Act 2002 wrote:SECTION 19. Cruelty to animals

(1) A person must not be cruel to an animal.
Penalty: Minimum - $2 000.
Maximum - $50 000 and imprisonment for 5 years.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1) a person, whether or not
the person is a person in charge of the animal, is cruel to an animal
if the person -
(a) tortures, mutilates, maliciously beats or wounds, abuses,
torments, or otherwise ill-treats, the animal;
(b) uses a prescribed inhumane device on the animal;
(c) intentionally or recklessly poisons the animal;
(d) does any prescribed act to, or in relation to, the
animal; or
(e) in any other way causes the animal unnecessary harm.

(3) Without limiting subsection (1) a person in charge of an
animal is cruel to an animal if the animal -
(a) is transported in a way that causes, or is likely to
cause, it unnecessary harm;
(b) is confined, restrained or caught in a manner that -
(i) is prescribed; or
(ii) causes, or is likely to cause, it unnecessary harm;
(c) is worked, driven, ridden or otherwise used -
(i) when it is not fit to be so used or has been over used;
or
(ii) in a manner that causes, or is likely to cause, it
unnecessary harm;
(d) is not provided with proper and sufficient food or water;
(e) is not provided with such shelter, shade or other
protection from the elements as is reasonably necessary to
ensure its welfare, safety and health;
(f) is abandoned, whether at the place where it is normally
kept or elsewhere;
(g) is subjected to a prescribed surgical or similar
operation, practice or activity;
(h) suffers harm which could be alleviated by the taking of
reasonable steps;
(i) suffers harm as a result of a prescribed act being
carried out on, or in relation to, it; or
(j) is, in any other way, caused unnecessary harm.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Wow. You totally missed the boat, huh? it's staring you right in the face in your own quote. Emphasis mine:
A person must not be cruel to an animal.
And of course there are big enough loopholes to drive a truck through. Does the law in question ban conventional mousetraps? Does it protect wild or domestic animals from being attacked by predator pets, like cats and dogs? Without even taking a glimpse at that law, I can bet dollars to donuts that the answer is 'no' on both counts.

That law is exactly as i described such laws -- they concern not animal suffering in itself, but human relationship to animal suffering; and they only concern some animals, not all of them, even though the suffering of a mouse caught in a conventional mousetrap is no less than the suffering of an abused dog.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Pigs, Sheep and Wolves

Big and fat
Pig's supposed to look like that
Barnyard thug
Sleeps on straw and calls it a rug
Yeah that's a rug, ok
He's walking down the street
And nobody's gonna argue with him
He's a half-a-ton of pig meat

Up in the hills above the farm
Lives a pack of wolves
Never did no harm
Sleep all day
Hunt till four
Maybe catch a couple of rodents
You know a carnivore

Sheep in the meadow
Nibbling on some clover
One of the sheep just wanders over
Sits by a rock
Separated from the flock
He's just sitting by a rock

Where'd he go? I don't know
Well he was here a minute ago
I don't know
Sheep's dead
Got a gash as big as a wolf's head
Oh god
Big and fat
Pig's supposed to look like that
Wallowing in lanolin
He's rubbing it into his pigskin
Police are going crazy
Sayin' let's get him
Let's get that wolf
Let's get him
Let's get that wolf
Let's get him
Let's kill him, let's get him
Let's kill him

Court-appointed lawyer
wasn't very bright
Maybe he was bright
Maybe he just had a late night
Yeah it was just a late night
And he files some feeble appeal
And the governor says forget it
It's a done deal
It's election, i don't
care, election
Let's give that wolf a
lethal iniection
Let's get him, let's get him,
Let's kill him, let's get him
Let's kill him, let's
get him, kill him
Let's get him and kill him

Whew, slow
Here comes the media
With their camera
Asking everybodys opinion

About pigs, sheep and wolves

Big and fat
Pig's supposed to laugh like that
This is hilarious
What a great time
I'm the pig who committed
The perfect crime

All around the world
France, Scandinavia
There's candle light vigils
Protesting this behavior
It s animal behavior
Animal behavior
Its pigs, sheep and wolves
Pigs, sheep and wolves
Pigs, sheep and wolves
It's animal behavior
It's pigs, sheep and wolves

Paul Simon
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

vicdan wrote:it's human sentiment and human action which are the salient features; that we only care about animals in relationship to humans, not in themselves.
Morality as developed in and by humans is always in relationship to themselves. What is exactly your point, if any? Children under ten years old cannot be convicted for crimes - so when they would walk around and kill people or animals, it's treated differently than with adults. This is because one cannot expect a mature moral sense in those children and severe punishment is not gonna help it develop. Same with animal-animal cruelty only there the animal is known never to develop beyond any human minor age or even reach it! And even less action is needed to 'correct' the situation.

Morality is the guiding principle of beings who do have complex feelings, including empathy, sense of justice, higher reasoning and so on. From this position one acts in belief it's the right thing, always in relation to one's sense of what's right or wrong. This goes way beyond and above just sentiments with most of the pro-animal folks.

In other words: one can never care for the animal 'in itself' because when the situation arises to choose a moral action, "to care or not to care", there's already a relationship established and a response desired. Thus one can never escape it only disguise it which is what happens when the growing of food becomes a mass commodity: one loses the relations with the subject and moral responsibility becomes ambiguous. There is a relationship with the product, perhaps even with the pricing, market, gains and losses but not with the way it has been produced.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

vicdan wrote: So where are economic predictions made using these supposedly superior marxist theories of economics? Did the world blink and miss them? Empirical reality is the ultimate test of any theory. Show me the money!
There's no real marxist theory of economics, it's basically a social theory. It supplies a framework to actually explore the relations between man and things. It doesn't address actual price, it just uses the more general overarching notion of value as measure, as abstraction of all these relations.

The theory certainly has been proven incomplete as I think it didn't take into account the consumer booms, the ultra-fetishism involved that keeps fueling demands in structural ways the theory hardly covers. It might also have not taken into account that after near-meltdown moments during the two largest depressions, heavy protectionism and resulting (?) industrialized 'insane' wars heavily influenced, perhaps postponed the whole cycle.

However, all social sciences could be said to be inherently unfalsifiable and could only be measured by the fertility it demonstrates when others are developing the always open-ended ideas contained therein. But at the same time certain predictive power can arguably still be attributed: the need that can be witnessed for increasingly mixed economies [the long-term tendency for more government control] and growth of opposing libertarian ideas that promote the demise of this growing State and encourage a somewhat Marxist echo of self-determination and self-actualization for the individual. In that sense the last year with the unprecedented size of the bail-outs and government take-overs [Obama seen by many as communist], combined with the booming interest in libertarianism ["Marxists of the Right"] like Ron Paul ["this Revolution is permanent"] could be the beginning of a "Marx was somewhat right" hindsight in the making.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Morality as developed in and by humans is always in relationship to themselves. What is exactly your point, if any?
That is exactly my point -- that when we persuade ourselves that we care about animals' welfare in itself, about animals' suffering as normatively atomic, we are deceiving ourselves.
Children under ten years old cannot be convicted for crimes - so when they would walk around and kill people or animals, it's treated differently than with adults. This is because one cannot expect a mature moral sense in those children and severe punishment is not gonna help it develop. Same with animal-animal cruelty only there the animal is known never to develop beyond any human minor age or even reach it!
But if a human child was repeatedly causing great damage, the law permits such a child to be restrained in a variety of ways. if we cared about animals as guest_of_logic proclaims we do, the same standard would apply; but it doesn't. A dog which so much as simply bites a human can be put to death -- I know, my son got mauled by a dog a few years ago, I had a legal right to demand its extermination -- but a dog which gruesomely kills a feral cat is under no legal threat for that action.
Morality is the guiding principle of beings who do have complex feelings, including empathy, sense of justice, higher reasoning and so on. From this position one acts in belief it's the right thing, always in relation to one's sense of what's right or wrong. This goes way beyond and above just sentiments with most of the pro-animal folks.
Most pro-animal folks hold inconsistent and irrational beliefs about their own relationships to the animals.
In other words: one can never care for the animal 'in itself' because when the situation arises to choose a moral action, "to care or not to care", there's already a relationship established and a response desired.
This is a true, but degenerate (in mathematical sense) response. As far as our societal attitudes, embodied in law, go, we could care about all animals' suffering purely in proportion to the suffering, not in proportion to our feelings towards the animal; but we do not. We do that for humans, but we don't do that for animals. We act as if human suffering matters, but then we act as if animals suffering by animals we care for matters, and even then only if a human was involved in inflicting it.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:There's no real marxist theory of economics, it's basically a social theory.
The labor 'theory' of value has been falsified. Worse, it's prima facie ludicrous to anyone not stuck in the 19th century. It's stupefyingly naive about what constitutes value and how value changes. When it comes to economics, Marx sucks sewage through a bendy straw.

A marxist in economics today is like a believer in luminiferous aether in the middle of a university physics department. It's a sad, pathetic, laughable and tragic spectacle of human capacity for self-deception.
The theory certainly has been proven incomplete
It's 'incomplete' in the sense a goat-powered wind turbine can be said to be incomplete. No, it's much worse than that. It's stupid. Of course i say this with all the benefits of hindsight, with the knowledge of the last century or two of economics and mathematics behind me, but anyone who accepts marxist political economics today is either profoundly ignorant, or deluded, or an idiot, or any combination thereof.
However, all social sciences could be said to be inherently unfalsifiable
That's why so many of them aren't actually sciences.

psychology and sociology have their quality moments; quite a number of them. Economics tends to do fairly well in that respect. However, saying "we are a social science!" is not a get-out-of-jail free card for epistemic flunk-outs and nihilists.
But at the same time certain predictive power can arguably still be attributed: the need that can be witnessed for increasingly mixed economies [the long-term tendency for more government control]
This is exactly opposite from what Marx was actually predicting, IIRC.

Post-hoc predictions are a wonderful thing, eh? And even with the benefit of being able to make retroactive predictions, you still can't finagle your way to anything stronger than "certain predictive power can arguably still be attributed". There's enough hedges and qualifications there to keep a psychic emporium in the money for years.
[Obama seen by many as communist]
What color is the sky in your universe? The only people who see him as communist are deranged right-wing wackos who couldn't recognize communism it if ran up to them and bit them on the leg. They use the word 'communism' like children use 'poopyhead'. These are the people you are citing?
combined with the booming interest in libertarianism ["Marxists of the Right"] like Ron Paul ["this Revolution is permanent"] could be the beginning of a "Marx was somewhat right" hindsight in the making.
Uhhh, right, sure. Whatever. The excuses never run out. Quine proved that quite nicely.

That being said, I agree with you about libertarianism. It tends to have methodological and ideological problems similar to marxism -- namely, talking out of one's ass; though libertarians at least get some of the most important core principles right, so I don't think they suck quite as badly as marxists do.
Last edited by vicdan on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.