Music that moves

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Laird

Re: Music that moves

Post by Laird »

Dave Toast wrote:If you think you didn't like Opeth, check some DEP
Yeah, not really my cup of tea as you guessed. Quite harsh, jarring music.
Dave Toast wrote:So, for instance, the song Cutsman is about the old Nintendo game Mega Man and incorporates the old 8-bit tunes from it. Bet you enjoyed them!
I didn't mind that music actually, there's a lot to recommend in it. It's not absolutely brilliant, and some of it is a little grating, but at least I didn't have the urge to smash up my speakers as I was listening to it.
Dave Toast wrote:He plays what's referred to as Piano Rock, as does another fave of mine, Ben Folds, ex-of Ben Folds Five, and again.
I don't mind Ben Folds Five - they're quite pleasant to listen to. I haven't heard any of Ben Folds' solo stuff until now. I guess that it's not too bad.
Dave Toast wrote:And speaking of singer/songwriters another fave, although completely different, is the tragic Nick Drake, and again.
I discovered Nick Drake whilst listening to JJJ radio about five years ago. I do love what I've heard of his music - those two tunes included. So beautifully sorrowful.
Dave Toast wrote:Check out Tony Royster Junior, a total prodigy. This is an unbelievable solo from when he was 12 years old ffs!
Holy leaping iguanas batman! My jaw hit the floor and just kept on going. Stupified. Struck dumb. Could that kid play or what??
Laird: Hmm, speaking of instrumental bands, I'm having flashbacks to a band that a flatmate introduced me to back in about 2000 and whom I haven't heard since then. They were quite good, and this music reminds me a bit of them. Something like Kiass or Kyass or Kius. Anyone know who I'm talking about? I've done a bit of googling on those variations and nothing's turned up.

DT: Not a clue mate.
Ah, God bless Google's "Did you mean?" service. Turns out that I was looking for "Kyuss" and it also turns out that they're not a purely instrumental band, although they do have a few instrumental songs, such as Asteroids (live). Their Wikipedia entry categorises them as "stoner rock" which I think is an apt description. There's a fair bit of their stuff available on YouTube under a search for "Kyuss". Dunno Dave, perhaps some of this will strike a chord with you. I quite like some of it myself.
Leyla Shen wrote:What I can't get is that wild dolphin experience, which was indeed really something.
Sounds awesome. One of the things that I'd like to do before I die is to swim with dolphins in the wild.
Leyla Shen wrote:Now, Laird, are you deliberately trying to ruin my reputation? I have always shown you the utmost respect!
Well, there's respect and then there's respect. For sure you've never outright insulted me. You were however somewhat disparaging of some of the positions that I took in my early posts, although you were always very subtle and creative about it.
Leyla Shen wrote:Was I not just as direct and forthright in person?
Absolutely, and even more charming and endearing.
Leyla Shen wrote:Perhaps my physical appearance somehow softens the blows?
Well it sure doesn't hurt.
Leyla Shen wrote:After all, who could expect such a sharp tongue-in-keyboard from such an innocent face?
Ah, the things that an attractive woman can get away with huh?
Leyla Shen wrote:Well, I certainly would have been concerned if you tried to follow me to Queensland . . .
Stalking's not really my thing.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Iron and Wine - Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ddv6uA7x8g

Medeski, Martin and Wood - think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3iyMC5n ... re=related

Xavier Rudd - Let Me Be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7HDvMlBps

(^ An Aussie I think you Aussie's might dig.)
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Laird,
Sounds awesome. One of the things that I'd like to do before I die is to swim with dolphins in the wild.
There are day cruises in WA, SA and even Vic for that, but I am under the (perhaps misguided) impression that interactions in Vic are less predictable than in the other states. Tangalooma (on Moreton Island) was a perfect introduction for the children, since they come into the warm shallows there. I’m thinking of taking them to SA mid this year.
Absolutely, and even more charming and endearing.
Wow. Really? I don’t see myself that way. One might understand how that would be the case in face-to-face interactions, since I generally don’t get to see my own face and body. But in type? Are you trying to flatter me, Laird?
Ah, the things that an attractive woman can get away with huh?
Indeed. I find it hard to believe, myself! But she ain’t getting away with much in the end, I reckon.
Between Suicides
Laird

Post by Laird »

Leyla Shen wrote:Laird: Absolutely, and even more charming and endearing.

Leyla: Wow. Really? I don’t see myself that way. One might understand how that would be the case in face-to-face interactions, since I generally don’t get to see my own face and body. But in type?
Yeah, but it's not like I get the sense that you're going out of your way to charm in the sense of being insincere to win affection, nor that you're charming in the sense of being cutesy, it's more that you make the people around you feel comfortable. You're inclusive in your conversation and warm in your body language; you're very down to earth and not at all pretentious; you talk about interesting things: all of these things endear you to me and I just generally enjoyed being around you. Michael liked you too.
Leyla Shen wrote:Are you trying to flatter me, Laird?
Yes, very much so, but honestly.

Edit: swapped around the "you" and the "me" after the "endear" for semantic correctness. I'm not sure if it's valid use of language anyway but I'm sure that you get my drift.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Yeah, but it's not like I get the sense that you're going out of your way to charm in the sense of being insincere to win affection, nor that you're charming in the sense of being cutesy, it's more that you make the people around you feel comfortable. You're inclusive in your conversation and warm in your body language; you're very down to earth and not at all pretentious; you talk about interesting things: all of these things endear you to me and I just generally enjoyed being around you. Michael liked you too.
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad that I made the evening comfortable enough for the three of you blokes to gang up on me without hesitation in our argument outside. Truly. :)
Between Suicides
Laird

Post by Laird »

Leyla Shen wrote:I'm glad that I made the evening comfortable enough for the three of you blokes to gang up on me without hesitation in our argument outside. Truly. :)
Heh. Payback for "Prince Charming". To be fair, Michael tried to see things from your perspective. I suppose that there always has to be a sucker for Mission Impossible though... :-P
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Heh. Payback for "Prince Charming".
Pfft. If you're looking for something lasting, you'll have to do better than payback, Laird!
To be fair, Michael tried to see things from your perspective. I suppose that there always has to be a sucker for Mission Impossible though... :-P
Yes, he did. Shame you were all wrong, though . . .
Between Suicides
Laird

Post by Laird »

Leyla Shen wrote:Pfft. If you're looking for something lasting, you'll have to do better than payback, Laird!
Lucky then that I meant it in the sense of ultimate justice, not in the sense of me being out to get you. I disagreed with you of course simply because you took an indefensible position. You'd do the very same to me. In fact, you'd probably find a way to poke fun at me at the same time.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

I Put A Spell On You'. Nina Simone (1968)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORSzfw8FE-o

Nina Simone Love song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVLF0GmSHjo

Nina Simone Ain't Got No...I've Got Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUcXI2BIUOQ

Nina Simone: Sinnerman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSasf8GBfV4

Nina Simone Feeling Good...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBy4QXAAil8
It's just a ride.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Dedicated to snow bunny:
The Rabbit Song
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Dedicated to snow bunny:
The Rabbit Song
Just for me? Thanks, but I can't watch youtube, since I don't currently have high speed internet. :-(
Laird

Post by Laird »

Buns, you can still watch it. Click on the link and turn the volume to mute. Then go and do something else whilst it jerks its way slowly into cache. When it reaches the end, turn up the volume, click play again and: voila! I know 'cos I used to be on dial-up and that's what I used to have to do. PITA but better than nothing.
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

What a wonderful tribute to me! A lot of those pictures were actually really turning me on, I have to admit.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

311 - Come Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AwbPLLQ ... re=related

Link almost hit by a bus in transfer!
Elizabeth Isabelle

snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

Thank you for the tip, Laird, but it's still too cumbersome to watch very many video clips, so I will only try to watch the ones that I know are for me. (If someone particularly wants me to watch something, then they can tell me to watch it.) I don't know if any of the latest are to do with any sort of Snow Bunny Tribute, so I won't bother unless they are REALLY important!
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Bones

Attack
Who is the band for the Bones clip, do you know? Those clips are creepy, but I liked the music in the first one.
Elizabeth Isabelle

brokenhead wrote:Who is the band for the Bones clip, do you know?
On the "About this Video" section it says "Bones by The Killers" - so I guess the band that did "bones" was called "The Killers."
snow bunny wrote:I don't know if any of the latest are to do with any sort of Snow Bunny Tribute, so I won't bother unless they are REALLY important!
That was the end of the snow bunny tribute, and we're back on the topic "Music that Moves." However, if you are not thoroughly embarrassed enough, I can continue the snow bunny tribute under the thread entitled "snow bunny."
Jason

Post by Jason »

Elizabeth Isabelle

Jason

Post by Jason »

Sia - Soon We'll Be Found

(edit: Link updated)
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Though I'm certain I have already posted this, I repost a sweet Lullaby for the battle-weary around the world...
When the whirlwind of fury comes from the
Throne of god, when the frowns of his countenance
Drive the nations together,
Who can stand?

When Sin claps his broad wings over the battle,
And sails rejoicing in the flood of Death;
When souls are torn to everlasting fire,
And fiends of Hell rejoice upon the slain.
O who can stand?

O who hath caused this?
O who can answer at the throne of God?
The Kings and Nobles of the Land have done it!
Hear it not, Heaven? Thy Ministers have done it!
Between Suicides
mansman

Re: ANIMUSIC

Post by mansman »

Harmonic Voltage

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6868157146720270695

Adding that: found it far more impressive on TV-DVD; one other worthwhile piece to look for think its called Pipe Dreams, by comparison others seemed just so-so on the first go around.
Last edited by mansman on Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- FOREIGNER