Music that moves

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

I know the aim of this thread isn't to assist gossip-columnists write their C.V. So what is it about?

My apologies to the "1% of light" for interrupting. To the others, well, when is Godot arriving?

Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

What? I don't understand what you're asking.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

What is the topic that's being discussed so enthusiastically?
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Music and how it affects people.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

And how does music itself affect people?

Or an even better question: what is music? That should answer the first.
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Music is a series of sound frequencies produced or arranged by humans in some orderly fashion.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Well, glad that's sorted out.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Kelly,

You must have missed this, but the Worldly Matters forum was meant to be for stuff that is not so serious. You derailed the joke thread, and now you're fussing about the music thread, so it is obvious that you are missing the intent of the forum.

Enjoyable music is not part of the QRS philosophy, but even Kevin enjoys music sometimes.

If this is an insufficient answer for you, please start a separate thread - and quit derailing everything that does not fit neatly into your "attack everything nice until it dies" philosophy. Attacking everything nice is not part of the QRS philosophy either, and if you have forgotten that, please review
Letters Between Enemies.
DHodges

Serious, or not so much?

Post by DHodges »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:You must have missed this, but the Worldly Matters forum was meant to be for stuff that is not so serious.
Well, I don't agree with that interpretation. The main forum is for straight-on philosophy, generally purely theoretical, and the "Worldly Matters" forum is for peripheral issues or discussion of praxis.

You derailed the joke thread, and now you're fussing about the music thread, so it is obvious that you are missing the intent of the forum.
Do you think this forum is for joking around and being social? Doesn't that seem to go directly against the purpose of the main forum?

Should this forum go back to being called The Brothel? I read somewhere that a beautiful whore is like poisoned honey.
Elizabeth Isabelle

You've been reading about Diogenes...

I have posted many things on Worldly matters that were of a philosophical or psychological nature - so no I do not consider it just for socializing and joking around, but I thought that those were acceptable peripheral uses.

If these were not acceptable uses, why did both Dan and Kevin post links to music on this thread? And on page 1 at that?

According to the index, the main page is for "Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment." and Worldly Matters is "For all other matters." It does not say "the 'Worldly Matters' forum is for peripheral issues or discussion of praxis."

If someone lacks a sense of humor, perhaps he or she should stick to the main forum and the science forum.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Kelly Jones wrote:And how does music itself affect people?
Music has the ability to convey wisdom. Depending on the listener, even the emotions that music invokes can interact with knowledge to form new ideas. A melody is math and imagination, which can lead to psychological insight, depending on the state of mind.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

I think you got it with the word "imagination", Steven.

Things that are profoundly moving are psychological. Nothing is inherently enjoyable, or humorous, or nice. It all comes down to the psyche and its needs.

Elizabeth,

I have nothing against music, or enjoying, or humour, or niceness, per se. This opinion came about because i can't stand psychological wrappers, and find nothing so enjoyable as getting to the heart of a matter. I drown unless i know what something truly is. So, i won't apologise for derailing or hijacking superficiality. That's part of my job.

Feel free to pull apart this fault of mine, so you can get at the heart of it. I'd be delighted if you did. Nothing bugs me as much as bullshit.

Psychological wrappers are so OBVIOUS --- the more wrapping --- enthusiasm, chatter, and pleasure --- the greater the chance that, inside, there is NOTHING WHATSOEVER.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Dave wrote:
The main forum is for straight-on philosophy, generally purely theoretical, and the "Worldly Matters" forum is for peripheral issues or discussion of praxis.
I tend to see the main forum as "serious digging of holes" and this one as "dealing with the consequences".

I'm guilty for not separating the two clearly. But some people can't even distinguish them!

Do you think this forum is for joking around and being social?
The party atmosphere was, if i recall rightly, the main reason The Brothel's name was changed to (something else) then Worldly Matters.

Should this forum go back to being called The Brothel? I read somewhere that a beautiful whore is like poisoned honey.
It's hard to say.

Some people are getting mentally stronger, but others like to pretend to perceive mitigating circumstances in mindless fun.

Perhaps the fora are like this:

Science and Evolution
Cause and Effect
Entering the Logical Realm
On the Illusory Nature of Free-Will

Worldly Matters
Making judgements and abandoning life

Genius Realms
The Infinite
Emptiness

?
Aaron Mathis

Post by Aaron Mathis »

joy division

I don't know about you, but I love songs written by people who really know what darkness is about AND can express that darkness with good character.

Ian Curtis was interesting. Didnt have quite enough character to live truth well, but for a songwriter, he was a good lad.

Love those guitar riffs. Very different sort of band these fellows were.

Lyrics(for shadowplay by Joy Division):

To the centre of the city where all roads meet, waiting for you,

To the depths of the ocean where all hopes sank, searching for you,

I was moving through the silence without motion, waiting for you,

In a room with a window in the corner I found truth.

In the shadowplay, acting out your own death, knowing no more,

As the assassins all grouped in four lines, dancing on the floor,

And with cold streel, odour on their bodies mad a move to connect,

I could only stare in disbelief as the crowds all left.

I did everything, everything I wanted to,
I let them use you for their own ends,
To the centre of the city in the night, waiting for you.
To the centre of the city in the night, waiting for you.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Ozzy Osbourne Bark at the Moon (not the sharpest recording, but still a good song)
Ozzy Osbourne Crazy Train
Metallica St. Anger
Metallica Frantic
Pestulence (loads kind of slowly)
Elizabeth Isabelle

sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Kelly,
Things that are profoundly moving are psychological. Nothing is inherently enjoyable, or humorous, or nice. It all comes down to the psyche and its needs.
Or the physiology and the needs. I don't think newborns have much of a psyche, yet they react to different kinds of sounds.
- Scott
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto - Corcovado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6kJB47u ... ted&search

Blur - Out of Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxiSMrzr ... ted&search

Peter Bjorn and John - Objects of my Affection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxVRhcLXftg

Massive Attack - Live with Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxui0uF ... ted&search
- Scott
Kunga

Re: Music that moves

Post by Kunga »

Mantra of Padmasambhava....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXAhglbjcZI

_/\_
Dan Rowden

Re:

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:This is funny
Actually that was both funny and an interesting social commentary. I wonder how many people experience reality unfiltered nowadays?
Sharly_Li

Post by Sharly_Li »

Probably one of the best groups to come out of Australia

Dead Can Dance
Bilby

Post by Bilby »

is anyone else here a post-rock fan?

I love Sigur Ros, and my favourites are: Olsen Olsen, Hoppipolla, Samskeyti, Staralfur, Se Lest, Milano. I also love The Flaming Lip's "Do you realise". It's the most gorgeous song.

Explosions in the sky: your hand in mine, Low's Two Step.

Any other post-rock fans should post their favourites.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Bilby - that's nice, but I think you missed the point of the thread. Please post links to some of your favorites.