Things you've learned in the Genius Forum

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Orenholt

Things you've learned in the Genius Forum

Post by Orenholt »

I'm sure that I seem unwaveringly stubborn but I have actually learned a few things since I've been here and my mind has been changed.

I have learned the following:
1.) The universe doesn't "exist" because it is infinite.
2.) Only that which is 100% true without a doubt is "ultimately" real.
3.) Deep voices in men are indeed sex linked and not just masculine.
4.) Sometimes I do need to read more carefully and double check things.
5.) Concepts and perceptions are interdependent for experiences.

I know a lot of it is common sense but I didn't think of a lot of it in those terms until recently.

What are some things you've learned since you've been on the Genius Forum?
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Things you've learned in the Genius Forum

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

The importance of causality and how far that rabbit hole of a truth can go.

That the world is way more stuck on the gender issue than this forum where it's being discussed a lot.

Some very interesting or inspiring people, occasionally.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Orenholt wrote:I'm sure that I seem unwaveringly stubborn but I have actually learned a few things since I've been here and my mind has been changed.

I have learned the following:
1.) The universe doesn't "exist" because it is infinite.
2.) Only that which is 100% true without a doubt is "ultimately" real.
3.) Deep voices in men are indeed sex linked and not just masculine.
4.) Sometimes I do need to read more carefully and double check things.
5.) Concepts and perceptions are interdependent for experiences.

I know a lot of it is common sense but I didn't think of a lot of it in those terms until recently.

What are some things you've learned since you've been on the Genius Forum?
To clarify:

#1: Are you saying that the universe doesn't exist, for the reason stated? Or, are you saying that the universe does exist, and the reason it exists is because it's finite?

#2: What is 100% true, without a doubt?
Orenholt

Post by Orenholt »

Cahoot wrote: To clarify:

#1: Are you saying that the universe doesn't exist, for the reason stated? Or, are you saying that the universe does exist, and the reason it exists is because it's finite?

1.)I'm simply saying that the universe doesn't have an appearance because it's infinite. So the former.
2.)Logical truths such as a=a
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

One major thing I've learned at this forum by just doing is that through discussion of these rather abstract and "distant" looking topics, one can learn a lot about people's character and ones own. Actually I'd go as far as saying that there's nothing else I know about, no psychoanalysis, observation, study, therapy or methodology which can bring you more into an understanding of the deeper thought processes of those you're discussing with and of course best of all: your own processes. Even if ultimately all these abstracts turn out to be invalid or limiting, as a means to go deeper into oneself just as much into the opponent, all the mechanisms and actual fluency of ideation and sense of truth telling: it just has been proven unbeatable in this day and age. In that aspect this forum has been a brilliant move even if I doubt its relevance at other times.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Orenholt wrote:
Cahoot wrote: To clarify:

1.)I'm simply saying that the universe doesn't have an appearance because it's infinite. So the former.
2.)Logical truths such as a=a
#1 The first three verses of Genesis appear to say that the unapparent universe is caused by the infinite, then made apparent by spirit followed by word:
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
—Do you think this is a logically valid interpretation?
Orenholt

Post by Orenholt »

Cahoot wrote: #1 The first three verses of Genesis appear to say that the unapparent universe is caused by the infinite, then made apparent by spirit followed by word:
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
Uh.... I think the bible is (mostly) nonsense so how could there be any logic involved?

I'm probably not the right person to answer this question...
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Orenholt wrote:
Cahoot wrote: #1 The first three verses of Genesis appear to say that the unapparent universe is caused by the infinite, then made apparent by spirit followed by word:
Uh.... I think the bible is (mostly) nonsense so how could there be any logic involved?

I'm probably not the right person to answer this question...
Your opinion of the bible is irrelevant.

Since you cannot ignore your opinion which appears to have such a tremendous influence on your thought process, I will ignore it for you, in this statement.

The unapparent universe is caused by the infinite, then made apparent by spirit followed by word (which is formed by conceptual mind).

—Do you think this statement is logically valid?
Orenholt

Post by Orenholt »

Cahoot wrote: Your opinion of the bible is irrelevant.

Since you cannot ignore your opinion which appears to have such a tremendous influence on your thought process, I will ignore it for you, in this statement.

The unapparent universe is caused by the infinite, then made apparent by spirit followed by word (which is formed by conceptual mind).

I guess it sort of makes sense but it's my theory that the universe wasn't caused. I think it just always has been and that time isn't necessarily always linear.

Plus I'm not sure what you mean by "spirit".
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Orenholt wrote:
Cahoot wrote: Your opinion of the bible is irrelevant.

I guess it sort of makes sense but it's my theory that the universe wasn't caused. I think it just always has been and that time isn't necessarily always linear.

Plus I'm not sure what you mean by "spirit".
That influence which precedes the influence of the conceptual and makes the unapparent earth aspect of the universe (form) apparent, when followed by the conceptual - according to the logic of the statement.
Orenholt

Post by Orenholt »

Cahoot wrote: That influence which precedes the influence of the conceptual and makes the unapparent earth aspect of the universe (form) apparent, when followed by the conceptual - according to the logic of the statement.
So basically you're saying that there is an objective reality before a subject can experience it? Well that seems to be the case but philosophically I'm sure many would disagree and say that it's completely unknowable. If that's not what you mean I'm sorry but this is going over my head.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Orenholt wrote:
Cahoot wrote: That influence which precedes the influence of the conceptual and makes the unapparent earth aspect of the universe (form) apparent, when followed by the conceptual - according to the logic of the statement.
So basically you're saying that there is an objective reality before a subject can experience it? Well that seems to be the case but philosophically I'm sure many would disagree and say that it's completely unknowable. If that's not what you mean I'm sorry but this is going over my head.
Don't ignore the waters, either.

What I'm basically saying are inferences based on the first three verses of Genesis, which as near as I can tell from the verses, are based on the premise of "a beginning".

I think that immediate disagreement with the premise, based on sound logic, is grounds for dismissing the rest of the inquiry.

Opinion, belief, prejudice, preference, feelings, religion, or identification with the statements are irrelevant. The valid relevance for you is comparison of the verses to what you have learned, as stated by you. The potential significance of the relevance is, via the application of logical thought, to tweak, expand, negate, alter or affirm what you have learned in the Genius Forum.

The logic that I applied to interpreting verses may well be flawed according to my limitations of intellect in applying logic to the three statements.

Also, don't forget to include your question, namely, (Plus I'm not sure what you mean by "spirit".) The word spirit was used only because it was in the verses, thus consult the verses for meaning, just as I did.