Wise Quotes Collection

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
SeekerOfWisdom

Wise Quotes Collection

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

We all know wise quotes others might not have yet heard so post any you think contain profound ideas or wisdom.
Feel free to make up your own.

"whoso delights in suffering, will not be freed from suffering"
-Buddha The Word

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
- Marcus Aurelius

"To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it."
Confucius
Kunga

Re: Wise Quotes Collection

Post by Kunga »

to study the buddha way is to study the self
to study the self is to forget the self
to forget the self is to be acualized by myriad things
when acualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drops away
no trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.....

Dōgen
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

“Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

- Harper Lee
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

"Conquer the angry man by love.
Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness.
Conquer the miser with generosity.
Conquer the liar with truth."

The Buddha (The Dhammapada)
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master.
Khalil Gibran

In order to properly understand the big picture, everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.
Xun Zi

I once tried thinking for an entire day, but I found it less valuable than one moment of study.
Xun Zi
jufa

Post by jufa »

Dreams are fulfilled in individual lives when one sat a goal,
start walking towards it,
and refuse to allow anything to turn them around or distract them from their vision.

In this persistence one must always do what is right for sake of conscience,
not for pleasure of soul. - jufa
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com
jufa

Post by jufa »

When dealing with the human perspective,
that which men speak upon
is always subjective because of the objectivity
of personal bias
of that which has been indoctrinated into the human minds
by the prattling interpreters of idealism.

All idealism
is
the extension of the 'sentient Id,'
whose child is
the human Ego. - jufa

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa

SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do. "
Leonardo da Vinci

"There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see."
Leonardo da Vinci
jufa

Post by jufa »

When a man looks into the dark depth of himself, he glimpse, for a second, the reality of the light dwelling camouflaged as darkness. The darkness which is the essence of all things of matter, yet is the light center which is "the way, the truth, and the life" of man's being. And the deeper man descends into the darkness of himself, the more he is lifted up and absorbed into the reality of the meaning "the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof, the world, and they that dwell their in." With this understanding, the purposed of expanding the indwelling light of God out of the darkness eliminates the dimensions of time, space, distance and matter which once held man prisoner to the belief there was a separation between the Word of God and the interpreted words of man. - jufa

The Illusion of God

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

There is no illusion of god,the source of all is god, mother nature, tao, and there is a source, an unnameable spirit of consciousness whose expressions we are witnessing, all we can know of this unknown is what we can see from it's manifestations jufa, you have assigned the ordinary meaning to the word "God", but it is only a word, it is a different concept for everyone, I call God the thing from which these manifestations arise.
-John (we have to keep the quote theme running, in case this ends up a normal thread)
jufa

Post by jufa »

Where you have misunderstood my expression seekerofWisdom is in your attempted application to make my personal mythology your mythology. You cannot draw a line to define my living, as you cannot arbitrarily invented a circle to produce a definition for that which cannot be defined unless your definition of the circle fits equally the feet of all mankind. - jufa

Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
Last edited by jufa on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jufa

Post by jufa »

What is the difference between "vision of the silence" or "understanding the nature of reality"? Because the first one is not about just another image, like the second one is not just another thought or theory.

SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

You are stating in every single one of your comments that "God" is an illusion... yet everyone has their own understanding of what this three letter word means.... so how could you know????

Really, how??

It seems to me you have your own definition of what "god" is and are calling it an illusion based on that definition....

In fact, the statement above seems to be an undeniable fact as you do have your own individual understanding of what "god" means.
jufa

Post by jufa »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:You are stating in every single one of your comments that "God" is an illusion... yet everyone has their own understanding of what this three letter word means.... so how could you know????

Really, how??

It seems to me you have your own definition of what "god" is and are calling it an illusion based on that definition....

In fact, the statement above seems to be an undeniable fact as you do have your own individual understanding of what "god" means.
1). Please show in this thread where I have stated God is an illusion.

2). You attempted to make my personal mythology your mythology I will say. There is nothing you have presented to me which will merge me into you and become your clone of comprehending logic for existence or attest to your god as being the only god. There are no books to read, as no words of confirmation you have given anyone which can give another hope they can walk in the exact path you walk. You tell of no broad sweeping magical formula or some supernatural occurrence which will do anything to insure anyone they can awaken to the reality that there is Something much greater than themselves which keeps pushing, and pushing, and pushing one to acknowledge nothing in the material world of matter has lifted them into total renunciation of themselves but your words.

3). You have slyly dodged answering: "What is the difference between "vision of the silence" or "understanding the nature of reality"? Because the first one is not about just another image, like the second one is not just another thought or theory."

4). Being everyone has their own definition of God, each definition, therefore, is a reality to everyone until evidence to the contrary has been provided. Your words are not evidence to anyone other than SeekerofWisdom.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I assumed that was what your "Theillusionofgod" link might be related too...

We do not each have our own God's, we each have our own idea's of what "god" means, for some it means nothing more than some babble.

There is no correct one, there are only different concepts and idea's which arise from the connected manifestations.

The source of the manifestations (of which all of us experience our own) is my definition of "god".
(The source of all things, that unknown which brought about these manifestations)

That's because I wasn't sure what you are referring to when you ask your question. Elaborate on "vision of the silence" ?
jufa

Post by jufa »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:I assumed that was what your "Theillusionofgod" link might be related too...

We do not each have our own God's, we each have our own idea's of what "god" means, for some it means nothing more than some babble.

There is no correct one, there are only different concepts and idea's which arise from the connected manifestations.

The source of the manifestations (of which all of us experience our own) is my definition of "god".
(The source of all things, that unknown which brought about these manifestations)

That's because I wasn't sure what you are referring to when you ask your question. Elaborate on "vision of the silence" ?

God is Consciousness. God is individual Consciousness of men. In order to hear or see Consciousness as whole, perfect, complete and pure, in stead of the fragmented states men acknowledge, they must go away. They must go away from the god of the intellect and the god of literal interpretation and let the God within them fire them with Its presence. And if they don't go away, they will go somewhere looking for something that is not there. This is why
one must go through the mind to get beyond the mind. - jufa
And because God is individual Consciousness which expresses Itself as unique individual Spirit forms of Thought, Consciousness is the individualized expression of each and every mind. Each and every individual, enlightened or not, is
the ever renewing, ever unfolding expression of infinite life. - jufa
You ask me to "elaborate on vision of the silence" when you came upon this forum as a gang-buster with all the answers of enlightenment. This should not be a mystery to you. Moreover, it is not a one part question. The latter half ask what is the difference between the first part: "or "understanding the nature of reality"?

SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I agree completely, although you say that as if I haven't already known.
God is the source of all manifestations, we are like the minds eye looking into the dream.

Just because I haven't heard that specific phrase before doesn't mean anything...

Are you asking about what my understanding of the nature of reality is?

Our experiences are. It is what it is, it's right in front of you, no better description can be given but your own direct experience of it.
The forms arise from the nothingness and return to it, when you are not experiencing it, it does not exist. consciousness arises and passes away with the rising and falling of the different sensations, when there is no sensation, there is no corresponding consciousness. What people think makes up the "self" is transient, flowing feelings and thoughts, sourced from themselves, but what are they? The tao. We act but it is it acting.Absolutely everything can be viewed as divine creation, it doesn't matter if it is divine creation in consciousness
jufa

Post by jufa »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:I agree completely, although you say that as if I haven't already known.
God is the source of all manifestations, we are like the minds eye looking into the dream.

Just because I haven't heard that specific phrase before doesn't mean anything...

Are you asking about what my understanding of the nature of reality is?

Our experiences are. It is what it is, it's right in front of you, no better description can be given but your own direct experience of it.
The forms arise from the nothingness and return to it, when you are not experiencing it, it does not exist. consciousness arises and passes away with the rising and falling of the different sensations, when there is no sensation, there is no corresponding consciousness. What people think makes up the "self" is transient, flowing feelings and thoughts, sourced from themselves, but what are they? The tao. We act but it is it acting.Absolutely everything can be viewed as divine creation, it doesn't matter if it is divine creation in consciousness
In our first encounter here on this forum you made the following statement:
Perception makes up reality. Perception is what's real. Physical reality outside of perception is an illusion. My reply was in the form of a question: If "Reality exists only in perception" how then can perception be real?
I now extend the question by asking you to tell me what foundation other than, it is what it is, do you present your concept - nothingness produced something - when you present no structure, principle, nor pattern for that which does not exist to gather substance to create a perception other than your words?

In asking this, I return the question you presented to me.
if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound? ( does it exist)
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

When the mind is kept away from its preoccupations, it becomes quiet. If you do not disturb this quiet and stay in it, you find that it is permeated with a light and a love you have never known; and yet you recognise it at once as your own nature. Once you have passed through this experience, you will never be the same man again; the unruly mind may break its peace and obliterate its vision; but it is bound to return, provided the effort is sustained; until the day when all bonds are broken, delusions and attachments end and life becomes supremely concentrated in the present.

~ Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj ('I Am That', ch.65)
jufa

Post by jufa »

When one goes beyond the objectivity of thinking, beyond the subjective logic of reasoning, they find themselves in the stillness of movement. One becomes the nothingness of justice, burning, wisdom, counsel, understanding, might and knowledge. - jufa

SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Jufa, I already told you, your question is ridiculous, it does not make sense, seeing as my point was very clear, all you have done is taken the definition of the word "real" and tried to twist my meaning.

But why?... you get my meaning perfectly. So why?

Perception exists, perception is real, the universe exists only in our perception.

Happy? I will use the word universe rather than reality, I was referring to this reality that is shared.

(and no I don't believe the tree to exist if no one is directly observing it)
Last edited by SeekerOfWisdom on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

We'll go back to quotes jufa, I don't want to end the theme. ( continue on another thread for discussion)

"Prevent trouble before it arises.
Put things in order before they exist."
- Lao Tzu
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:and no I don't believe the tree to exist if no one is directly observing it)
Then why do trees have growth rings ? They are there growing and alive regardless of an observer. Trees existed before humans were there to observe them...they precede the evolution of man...we couldn't exist without them, as they helped provide the air we breathe. Without vegetation we wouldn't exist, so how can it be logical that they would not exist without an observer ? They don't need us...we need them !
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

'"Growth rings" = sense experience.

No tree exists, only sense experience.

I am not under the belief that we are interpreting external information with our bodies and it is being relayed to the brain.

I am under the belief that the whole universe exists only within consciousness, that there is no corresponding physical reality.

Is a complicated illusion any less of an illusion?

When you are in a dream and convinced that what's happening is logical, running from those monsters, is it still a dream?

You are assuming that complicated sense experiences logically require a past to have made the things the way they are. They don't, life is like a shared dream, it exists only in the seeing of it, realize that.

You showed interest in the Buddha before Kunga, he referred to what is meant by "dream" or "illusion" often.

"A wise man recognizing reality is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, and so he escapes the suffering"
-Buddha Gautama

“The world, indeed, is like a dream and the treasures of the world are an alluring mirage! Like the apparent distances in a picture, things have no reality in themselves, but they are like heat haze.”
-Buddha

"All that is seen in the world is devoid of effort and action because all things in the world are like a dream, or like an image miraculously projected. This is not comprehended by the philosophers and the ignorant, but those who thus see things see them truthfully."
-Buddha

Life is a series of perpetually fading moments of sense experience, and frankly, these experiences are god damn miraculous! Don't be asking how those rings on the tree got there....

Oh shiz,"
- John Farhat
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Buddha never existed then if it's all an illusion, so I can chuck everything he never said :)
Actually, if you acted as if nothing existed, and you walked into the street while a truck was comming.....you would suffer !
Things do not exist inherently...that dosn't mean they don't exist !
Why did Buddha eat ? Because he didn't exist ?