mayan calendar

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
cortessy

mayan calendar

Post by cortessy »

Did the Mayan calendar start at the beginning of the world? I don't believe in this, but I think a lot of people do. I've even heard of far more fantastical stories people believe in. So I thought I would ask. If the Mayans predicted the end wouldn't they have predicted the beginning with their calendar? So did the Mayan calendar start at the beginning of the world as we know it?

Re: mayan calendar

Post by IanB »

Depends how you define
the world as we know it
The Mayans believed, I believe, that these things worked in cycles, so the calendar probably marks the beginning and end of one such cycle. The start was, perhaps, after the great flood (which ended the world as it was then known) - the end could be represented by many things, it's not necessarily a physical change but, perhaps, a shift of consciousness. Or it could all be nonsense. It is, after all, a lump of stone with marks on it that people believe they have deciphered...

Personally I'm with the cyclists - I see no other convincing way to explain the existence of various technically impossible ancient artefacts. So yes, the beginning of the world as we know it, but not The Beginning, as it were - we've been this way before.

IanB ~
WildBliss.com Are you?