News: I Quit Marijuana!

Post questions or suggestions here.
cousinbasil

Re: News: I Quit Marijuana!

Post by cousinbasil »

David Quinn wrote:Perhaps the most interesting thing I experienced from pot-consciousness was "female nirvana" (to coin a term).

That is, the clarity of mind that focuses directly on whatever is happening in the present moment, leading to feelings of being perfectly at one with the minds of one's companions, all the while never being certain that such feelings were trustworthy or not.

-
Smoking a lot of pot makes a guy grow manboobs, too. At least that used to be an accepted fact.

Face facts, David. You can never be certain your companions are trustworthy, stoned or not. That's why people take a sip now and again - so that uncertainty stops mattering.
GodsDaughter1

Re: News: I'm suffering from psychological addiction and wit

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

News: I'm suffering from psychological addiction and withdrawal which is worse than the smoking marijuana!

I can't stand it, I'm climbing the walls. I realize now why I smoked daily, it's because marijuana entertained my brain and each day I fed my brain marijuana, it would give back to me through my imagination, now I suffer greatly with the withdrawal of the psychological addiction.

I pace the floors wandering around aimlessly wondering what to do with myself, I can't stand it, I'm suffering greatly, it's worse than anything I've ever had to deal with. It's the boredom of my brain, I know it is my brain, it was being entertained and now it is not. My friend says I must give to my brain something else to occupy it because I took something away, which is why I'm suffering, well, I already knew that, so he's not telling me something I didn't already know.

I will give myself another couple of days, if I continue to suffer, I shall give to my brain what my brain needs, and that is a hoot! This goddam suffering is not worth the abstaining. Bullshit to anyone who says this is non-addictive, it certainly has psychological addiction despite what anyone says!
Blair

Post by Blair »

Too late, your fucked..

The Brain is an extremely delicate mechanism and when you put crude substances in it, it turns to scrambled egg.

But don't worry, you are certainly not alone in this horrible realization.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

From soft Romanticism to the grit of Naturalism.
The craving sure does put you in the moment, doesn’t it.
Only, the quality of the moment is judged to be unacceptable in comparison to ... what?
So, the turning point.
To realize the beauty of Naturalism or live in the pastel memory of what was, if that can even be found.

''Hug me till you drug me, honey;
Kiss me till I'm in a coma;
Hug me, honey, snuggly bunny;
Love's as good as soma."

- Aldous Huxley
Brave New World

When on a forced march and you can’t take another step the miles to go are incomprehensible. So just make it to that intersection up ahead. Then, spot the sign post a little farther along and make it to that.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Donna wrote:I will give myself another couple of days, if I continue to suffer, I shall give to my brain what my brain needs, and that is a hoot! This goddam suffering is not worth the abstaining. Bullshit to anyone who says this is non-addictive, it certainly has psychological addiction despite what anyone says!
Well I for one admire your attempt.

Pot is nonaddictive in that what you are going through is nothing comared to what an addict faces during withdrawal. We can take cigarette smoking as an example. It is not especially mood-altering, yet in addition to its considerable physically addictive properties, it is immensely psychologically habit-forming. The actual intense physical cravings tend to die out just when you think they never will, but what remains is years of motor-conditioning and (anti-) social habits. Many people effectively can separate the two with the patch or other nicotine-replacement technique. Break the automatic groping for a cigarette in the morning or when you get on the phone or sit on the toilet. Later, deal with the physical withdrawal. It helps if your hands have something to do with their newfound freedom, and any reason to enjoy the cigarette-free life helps reinforce commitment. Such as - buy new clothes that don't stink. Get your teeth whitened. Notice a renewed olfactory sense, etc.

Psychological dependency is not addiction, but as Diebert pointed out, it may take assistance to overcome. A few days is not enough, GD1. Tough it out - exercise or fill your time with things you may have ignored as a pot abuser. Embrace the psychological struggle and remember it - it will make you think twice about picking up the habit again once you do quit, which I believe you can.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

It's possible Donn, that you should look for some kind of medical assistance on this. It's certainly possible your mind will not function that well this "clean". It's not a gurantee that just staying clean will solve the stress experienced just by hanging on. There are perhaps healthier forms of sedatives/relaxation available if you ask your doctor. It's possible this is something you cannot solve by yourself pure on willpower, although others might have this doesn't mean you should. The anxiety level might be just too uncomfortable to handle. You're not the first one who had to deal with this and not the only one who used marijuana as solution for a longer period to be able to think and write reasonably normal. But you have to realize on the long run it's not helping at all and the habit will actually make you worse and worse.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

If she's been using tobacco to get to the THC,
then the addiction is tobacco,
then nicotine patches could work.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Dr. van Rhijn wrote:It's possible Donn, that you should look for some kind of medical assistance on this.
Sound advice, since people should consult with their doctor before making any kind of drastic lifestyle change, such as going on a diet/exercise regiment.
It's certainly possible your mind will not function that well this "clean".
And certainly possible it will begin to function better than it has with regular heavy pot use.
It's not a gurantee that just staying clean will solve the stress experienced just by hanging on. There are perhaps healthier forms of sedatives/relaxation available if you ask your doctor. It's possible this is something you cannot solve by yourself pure on willpower, although others might have this doesn't mean you should.
Doctors are often scrip-happy. While I agree with the good Dutch Doctor about seeking professional input, do not underestimate your own willpower. I doesn't matter what the substance of abuse is, the bottom line is your own self making choices.
You're not the first one who had to deal with this and not the only one who used marijuana as solution for a longer period to be able to think and write reasonably normal. But you have to realize on the long run it's not helping at all and the habit will actually make you worse and worse.
The hidden suggestion here is that you require some kind of medication to think "reasonably normal," and that the marijuana habit was not good for you because you have been self-medicating. The latter part I tend to agree with, but the first part is the thing you have to determine with competent medical advice.

Don't assume Diebert is correct that you likely need replacement meds except maybe to ease the transition. Even withdrawing from heroin addiction is not life-threatening, at least not physically. The only chemical addiction that can actually kill you if you attempt to quit cold-turkey is alcoholism. For this reason, where I live, a rehab center can turn away addicts if it is full except by law must make room for alcohol addicts. I have beaten a few addictions in my time and admit it almost always seems worse before it seems better. If it doesn't, you are likely to conclude well, that wasn't so bad - I could quit anytime I had to, so no sweat if I decide to use again.

You often speak of a higher power. Don't hesitate to ask it for help. I am not a big 12-step fan myself, but I do like that they try to leave no psychological avenue unexplored. They make use of support groups, one's possible conception of a higher power, making amends, etc. But in the formal zeal to attack the problem, often the simple truth gets overlooked. In AA, for instance, you must begin group participation by introducing yourself and saying you are an alcoholic. That is likely true, or else you wouldn't be there. However, the AA line does not recognize that someone can be an ex-alcoholic. If you are one, you are always going to be one, if only a "recovering" alcoholic. I find this limiting in the extreme. Alcoholism is never a natural state - the entire goal is to cease being an alcoholic and cease being dependent, even dependent on AA. If you tell yourself you will never recover, you are beginning by assuming defeat.
Blair

Post by Blair »

From one addict to another eh..
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Blair wrote:From one addict to another eh..
That was the whole point of my post, my good man. I haven't been addicted to anything in years - the last thing to go being tobacco, which is almost 5 years now. I don't consider myself a smoker - but an ex-smoker is fair enough. Haven't used reefer is decades now. I'm too old to know where to get it!
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

You "quit" the weed, Donna..? Haven't you announced this before (over the years). A better word would be "stopped" for a while. You'll quit when you're dead.

Anyway, since contracting the 'shingles' I'd started taking 3-4 hits a day to relieve the nerve pain, stress, and of not sleeping well at night. That nerve was one, tough hombre. The 2mg of Hydromorphone (synthetic morphine in pill form) lasted but 3-4 hours and a tolerance began building.

The few hits a day, like 8 out of 9 days worked for me. Don't think about it (smoking maryjane) now that the physical pain has subsided to tolerable levels.

Isn't some sort of medical marijuana available (with your MD's 'ok') allowed in Canada?

For me, I'd have to establish residency in Montana for it to go my way. North Dakota can be draconian in their statutes and no change is in sight. They love folks going to court and paying fines, court costs, dependency referrals -- very costly to the individual -- and makes it more difficult to secure employment bcause of the 'blemish' on their legal records.

Your pal,
Tomas
Don't run to your death
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Blair wrote:Too late, your fucked..

The Brain is an extremely delicate mechanism and when you put crude substances in it, it turns to scrambled egg.

But don't worry, you are certainly not alone in this horrible realization.

GodsDaughter says:

I laughed right out loud at your direct comment, because you are absolutely right!

But, my scrambled eggs are not in my brain, they're elsewhere, oh, that's fried eggs I mean. I had a boyfriend many years ago that was rubbing my chest and thought he was rubbing my back! lol. That was a joke! It's a good thing I have a humorous side to me otherwise I'd die of boredom.

I just discovered through abstaining from marijuana that I have a humorous side to me which I wasn't aware of. Everybody always told me that I was funny, not silly funny, but humorous funny. I couldn't see it, not until a couple of days ago while still straight, I noticed that I laughed alot and encouraged people through my positive attitude, I noticed I put smiles on people's faces. I realized then I had a humorous side to my nature just like what everybody's been saying. My humor must have been on strike.
Blair

Post by Blair »

It's a good idea to wander around and around all day just looking for opportunities to amuse people with random observations.

Works for me when I am trying to stave off addictive desires.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Tomas wrote:You "quit" the weed, Donna..? Haven't you announced this before (over the years). A better word would be "stopped" for a while. You'll quit when you're dead.

GodsDaughter1 says: You might be quite right there Tomas ya sly devil ya, you're conning the medical field, aren't you!

Anyway, since contracting the 'shingles' I'd started taking 3-4 hits a day to relieve the nerve pain, stress, and of not sleeping well at night. That nerve was one, tough hombre. The 2mg of Hydromorphone (synthetic morphine in pill form) lasted but 3-4 hours and a tolerance began building.

GodsDaughter says: Tomas, they're killing you, and you're letting them! Well, they're at least addicting you to their morphine, now I bet that one's a bad one to overcome from addiction, ay Tomas ole boy?
Are you addicted to tobacco too Tomas?

The few hits a day, like 8 out of 9 days worked for me. Don't think about it (smoking maryjane) now that the physical pain has subsided to tolerable levels.

GodsDaughter says: Oh, ok I get it now, just don't allow yourself to become chronic like I was, it's not worth it. Once a day is what I allow myself now. I should never have cut myself off cold turkey, it hurt my brain, although the brain does not feel pain, it knows when something is being taken away from it.

This is where my brain is at right now, imagination soars:

Imagine your brain as being one massive 'Awareness' with billions upon billions and trillions upon trillions of eyes the size of a pin head or smaller. These eyes are brains themselves absorbing everything in then transferring the 'data absorbed' to the mother brain, it's mother.

The mother brain sends out signals in the form of thought to it's limbs, internal organs, heart, liver, kidneys, etc, eyes, nose, mouth and ears that it must control. It relys on her eyes attachments for information to resend information.

From the sleepy dreamlike brain, some eyes are closed, thus leaving a half-witted consciousness, not fully conscious of his/her own awareness.

Then, we have the fully conscious buddha like awareness where consciousness is exceedingly high, and
and the dreamlike brain half-asleep is not conscious enough to fully intergrate with fully aware conscious state-of-beings, because it is just an abnormal height for them to begin to think to reach, how unfortunate, but, there is still hope for the half-asleep who can enlighten his/her awareness level! The moral of this story is...Hope is awareness, and awareness is hope, so no matter what your awareness level is, they'll always be Hope, and hope is awareness at any level, so hope away and you'll always be aware and the moral of this story is...I'm hopefully aware!

Isn't some sort of medical marijuana available (with your MD's 'ok') allowed in Canada?

GodsDaughter says: Yup, you're correct Tomas, only for those who prove themselves to be dying, or terminally sick.

For me, I'd have to establish residency in Montana for it to go my way. North Dakota can be draconian in their statutes and no change is in sight. They love folks going to court and paying fines, court costs, dependency referrals -- very costly to the individual -- and makes it more difficult to secure employment because of the 'blemish' on their legal records.

Your pal,
Tomas

GodsDaughter says: I travelled through North Dakota with my brother and his goofy family, God how I dreaded that, travelling with nitwits.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:It's possible Donn, that you should look for some kind of medical assistance on this. It's certainly possible your mind will not function that well this "clean". It's not a gurantee that just staying clean will solve the stress experienced just by hanging on. There are perhaps healthier forms of sedatives/relaxation available if you ask your doctor. It's possible this is something you cannot solve by yourself pure on willpower, although others might have this doesn't mean you should. The anxiety level might be just too uncomfortable to handle. You're not the first one who had to deal with this and not the only one who used marijuana as solution for a longer period to be able to think and write reasonably normal. But you have to realize on the long run it's not helping at all and the habit will actually make you worse and worse.
GodsDaughter says: That's good advise Diebert, but, I've found the best solution for myself which is to smoke one joint of marijuana a day until I cease it entirely, if I ever quit entirely again. It's working out good for me. I'm not suffering anymore, and one is enough for me for the whole day.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Cahoot wrote:From soft Romanticism to the grit of Naturalism.
The craving sure does put you in the moment, doesn’t it.
Only, the quality of the moment is judged to be unacceptable in comparison to ... what?
So, the turning point.
To realize the beauty of Naturalism or live in the pastel memory of what was, if that can even be found.

''Hug me till you drug me, honey;
Kiss me till I'm in a coma;
Hug me, honey, snuggly bunny;
Love's as good as soma."

- Aldous Huxley
Brave New World

GodsDaughter says: I'll tell you what I derive from your words Cahoot, that you are a poet, a natural poet, you speak with romanticism. I would wager a bet that you daydream more than you should.

When on a forced march and you can’t take another step the miles to go are incomprehensible. So just make it to that intersection up ahead. Then, spot the sign post a little farther along and make it to that.
GodsDaughter says: Good advice Thank you.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

These things aren't called addictions for nothing. Blair actually makes some good points here. After a certain number of years, your brain structure changes physically to the point that it will demand the addictive substance by any means necessary. Pot isn't very physically addictive, but psychologically, it can definitely hook people.

Cutting down to one is good. Of course, it will be hard to keep it at that level. Excuses will come up and eventually one or more of them will sound plausible enough to work. I'm a problem drinker myself so I know of what I speak here. It's hard.

Generally, you don't just drop these things once the brain has turned to "scrambled eggs." You might quit for a while, even a year maybe, here and there. But generally it always finds a way to come back. Like Tomas said, you'll quit when dead.
I live in a tub.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Unidian wrote:These things aren't called addictions for nothing. Blair actually makes some good points here. After a certain number of years, your brain structure changes physically to the point that it will demand the addictive substance by any means necessary. Pot isn't very physically addictive, but psychologically, it can definitely hook people.

Cutting down to one is good. Of course, it will be hard to keep it at that level. Excuses will come up and eventually one or more of them will sound plausible enough to work. I'm a problem drinker myself so I know of what I speak here. It's hard.

Generally, you don't just drop these things once the brain has turned to "scrambled eggs." You might quit for a while, even a year maybe, here and there. But generally it always finds a way to come back. Like Tomas said, you'll quit when dead.
GodsDaughter says: Yes, I agree Blair does make sense here, so does Diebert and everyone else who piped up and expressed his thoughts on this subject, and I Thank you all for your input.

I will make every effort to smoking only 1 shared joint a day which is less than smoking a whole joint for myself. I go out daily and smoke a doo-bie with my friend as I won't smoke it around my living quarters.

I don't smoke tobacco, I quit 35 years ago, never did like that crap. I quit before my daughter and son caught wind of me smoking, I wanted to be a good influential mother for my children. Then, when my son Jason was 13, I approached him and said, son, if you never smoke cigarettes through your teenage life, I'll give you $200.00 when you reach 19 and you come to me and say, Mom, I never smoked throughout my teenage life. Jason and I shook hands on my deal offered to him. He came to me at 19 and said "Mom, you owe me $200.00" his good friends vouched for him, and I believed in my son without question, I gave him $200. right then and there. At age 20 he smoked but gave it up, at age 23 he was tragically struck down, his young life snuffed out. He didn't know what hit him, he died on Blackfoot Trail Calgary Alberta, on his way to work. A tow-truck driver rammed into the four young men checking their tow-hitch, all were hospitalized seriously messed up, my son was one of two Thompson boys at the scene. When the police called they didn't know what Thompson boy was killed, of course I didn't know either, it was shock enough to hear of my son's death via-the-phone. If it had of been Vernon my brothers son, my brother would have likely committed suicide, for he's not as strong as I am. There was over 500 people at Jason's funeral, many came from the United States to Canada, many came up to me telling me my son was an awesome dude, everyone loved Jason, he was an angel.

Jason's birthday is coming up on October 7th, he was born in 1973 and died at 23. I think of my son each year. He's alive in my mind, I see him energetic, alive and well from my imagination's perspective.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Does anyone know a Musician band called Sacred Ally, they have CD's out and are making it big in Canada right now as a heavy-metal band. I don't know if my nephew Vernon the Thompson boy I spoke about above, (one of the accident victims), travels with his band to the states or not. Him and my son Jason were 1st cousins and were close as two pees-in-a-pod.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

GodsDaughter says: You are only a problem drinker if you create problems for other people, you already know alcohol is a problem to your liver and brain, but, drinkers don't seem to care or acknowledge they're killing themselves, it's because they have no control over the poison that's poisoning them. They become problems to people because they become very difficult to manage because of the poisons affecting their soaked-up-masses-of-grey-jelly. I'm an expert on the subject and I don't drink, because I am an expert on the subject!

GodsDaughter says: I'd prefer to be addicted to marijuana then to be victim to alcohol
eyekwah

Post by eyekwah »

Shit, I can see why you started the stuff..

If you're serious about quitting, you need to stop hanging out with your friend that you smoke marijuana with. Quitting an addiction with a friend like that is like running a marathon while lugging around a sack of bricks. Even if your friend respects your attempt to quit, it only works when they don't tempt you, which only the best of friends will do.

As others have said, it's not a physical addiction but a psychological addiction. You desire that feeling you get when you escape. You're going to have to pick another escape which isn't self-destructive. Heaven forbid that a drug gets invented which doesn't affect the brain. I think people would stop leaving their houses and going to work who would try it. It'd be called the voluntary plague.
Life is wasted on the living.