The effects of modern life

Post questions or suggestions here.
David Quinn

The effects of modern life

Post by David Quinn »

An interesting read, both the blog and the resulting debate in the comments section. To my mind, it nicely encaspulates the various strands of modern life in the West, particularly the connection between soulless materialism, liberal feminism and mindless barbarity.

Panic On The Streets Of London

-
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: The effects of modern life

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Interesting how the feminist somehow manages to describe how the rioters would be "disenfranchised " because a lot of the schools there "do not enjoy nearly enough of the privilege and kudos granted to schools elsewhere in other parts of the borough". Yeah.... sure, capture the event in familiar terms of school, kudos and children.

There has been always rioting in Europe and elsewhere as well as decades of threats and attacks by various militant groups. Take for example the various events at Nørrebro. There's always some "reason" for those desiring violence I suppose.

Perhaps like some tectonic plates, the energies and resentments shift around and burst through a group, or an individual which then starts representing the "violence of the system". A system where feminism, materialism and organized violence do their unholy dance, taking turns. Some suggest a bloody awful but "sexy" war once in a while might ease the tension and prolong the system a bit longer.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Can't we all just get along?

David, I am not sure what that link was supposed to convey - it seemed more about Penny Red than anything substantial. Her main point seemed to be that she doesn't like the way people interviewed on the telly speak about the present spate of rioting.

I don't get her theme if she has one. Shouldn't one's first reaction be condemnation? Or should one break out some weenies and roast a few on that overturned burning police vehicle?

The real crowd mentality is not one of political unrest. During the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict, one black guy was approached by a news crew in the dark, busily furtive street as people darted by the camera with TVs under their arms. He explained it this way: "We jess takin what we owed." Political unrest seems to imply there are political stances established with which one should align oneself one way or another so concerted civil action can be brought to bear on the underlying social issues. But doesn't that merely sum up what England has been for more than four hundred years, or certainly since the dawn of the UK? It is difficult to conceive of legislative remedies for the symptoms that are nothing less than the heat death of an empire. The system can't fix it because the system created it.

I find it interesting that you include liberal feminism into the mix, as if it is one thing and liberal feminists agree politically on anything except basic issues.

Let me just observe that Australia is the home of Helen Reddy of "I Am Woman" fame. Why can't you blighters keep your Sheilas in tow, eh, mate?
Blair

Post by Blair »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Perhaps like some tectonic plates, the energies and resentments shift around and burst through a group, or an individual which then starts representing the "violence of the system". A system where feminism, materialism and organized violence do their unholy dance, taking turns. Some suggest a bloody awful but "sexy" war once in a while might ease the tension and prolong the system a bit longer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14841018