A Great Movie

Post questions or suggestions here.
Tobitobi

A Great Movie

Post by Tobitobi »

I have a few questions/ideas regarding how to make the 'effective' movie. The 'respective' is amusing and structurally on par, but is there an actual 'method' in making a great movie, rather than a standard one?

Take Quinton Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" for example [for argument's sake, let's call this a great movie]. There were few flaws, and a basic thriller plot(s?). What made this movie stand out however seemed to be the intrepid references to other affective films of a similar theme e.g. "The Dirty Dozen", and "The Great Escape"... In particular from that, Christoph Waltz' brilliant performances, as well as all of the other villains.

It's safe to say that that film was 'ecclectic' but how can one call it 'brilliant' and Quinton an 'auteur' if it was merely a "film-school-film" with little originality? In short, I think the answer lies within his humor.

In the "Decay of Lying", Oscar Wilde says that "Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life". Assuming the latter actually happens anymore [rather than art imitating previous art], I actually believe this to be wrong (incomplete), in the respect of his accurateness. I believe that art must in fact 'exaggerate' life and give it a personality. In other words, art must make fun of life to a certain degree. That degree being whatever parts of the movie that exist to provoke the most primitive of emotions such as anger, lust, love etc...

Of course, this isn't just referencing QT's style of movie making, but any "great" film [aside from my opinion of QT or a great film]. Quinton Tarantino merely exemplifies the idea, but I believe this to be true generally.

Rebute/Refine/Annex?
uncledote

Re: A Great Movie

Post by uncledote »

Can't stand Tarantino's comic book / laddish approach to making films.

Pulp Fiction was funny and over the top, but its not any kind of reference for how to make a great movie.

Have you seen Import/Export, an excellent European movie from last year?
Tobitobi

Post by Tobitobi »

uncledote wrote:Can't stand Tarantino's comic book / laddish approach to making films.
Have you seen "Jackie Brown"?
uncledote wrote:Pulp Fiction was funny and over the top, but its not any kind of reference for how to make a great movie.
Pulp Fiction is a great example [perhaps the best]. Its plot is indecipherable, and its structure is basically random, but contrary to your beliefs considered one of the greatest films ever made [not just by an American].

When you say "over the top", I don't quite understand what you're referencing or comparing it to...
uncledote wrote:Have you seen Import/Export, an excellent European movie from last year?
Haven't seen that one yet.
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

Tobitobi wrote: Have you seen "Jackie Brown"?
Yip - found it boring. Double, triple crossing boring.
Tobitobi

Post by Tobitobi »

uncledote wrote:
Tobitobi wrote: Have you seen "Jackie Brown"?
Yip - found it boring. Double, triple crossing boring.
screw that. Were you biased about the film before you saw it? I find it interesting that you'd give it a chance despite if that were the case.

Have you seen "The White Ribbon"?
Foreigner

Post by Foreigner »

Great movies (if you mean long-lived) are great for different reasons-- different things make different movies great, and also popular.
Looking for a magic key is not the way to go about it; inspiration is a good way to go about it, and will be stifled if one attempts to focus on some proven formula.

Are you thinking about making a movie?

I could be of great assistance.
If i were sufficiently motivated, which isnt likely.
:)
FOREIGNER
Conservationist

Post by Conservationist »

Tobitobi wrote:I believe that art must in fact 'exaggerate' life and give it a personality.
This is the nature of symbolic reality: refine, make cartoonish, and then return in a format so basic that even a dunce can add x and y and get z.

You wouldn't want literal art... would you?
Tobitobi

Post by Tobitobi »

Conservationist wrote:
Tobitobi wrote:I believe that art must in fact 'exaggerate' life and give it a personality.
This is the nature of symbolic reality: refine, make cartoonish, and then return in a format so basic that even a dunce can add x and y and get z.

You wouldn't want literal art... would you?
that really depends.
Foreigner wrote:Great movies (if you mean long-lived) are great for different reasons-- different things make different movies great, and also popular.
As I meant to include, when a movie is considered great, it is most commonly the general effect of blowing a significant person's mind. To conclude my point, I believe that there's only so many ways to accomplish this.
Foreigner wrote:Looking for a magic key is not the way to go about it; inspiration is a good way to go about it, and will be stifled if one attempts to focus on some proven formula.
All things simplified, an idea, of any genre, must be made acceptable for extremely specific standards in order to be classified as such. Creating a method for succeeding cinematically is no more a "magic key" than shooting a close up shot if it can apply to any film effectively.
Foreigner wrote:Are you thinking about making a movie?

I could be of great assistance.
If i were sufficiently motivated, which isnt likely.
:)
a screenplay, and i'd be really interested. Know anything about psychology?