webcam for youtube help.

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

webcam for youtube help.

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

anyone know of a good webcam that would be good enough for posting video on youtube? I want to get back on youtube, but I need another webcam that will post decent video, anyone have a model# that works well?
Dan Rowden

Re: webcam for youtube help.

Post by Dan Rowden »

Logitech make some pretty good webcams, but doesn't this depend on how much your budget is?

This also looks reasonably priced for a cam that gives you true HD:

http://agent.liquiddigital.com.au/
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

thanks dan, some recommendations. I was thinking of Logitech, but I want to spend enough so that I don't get tracers and delays.
Loki

Post by Loki »

what are you gonna use for a mic?
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Loki,

A standard mic will probably do because I would be speaking into the mic normally, I don't think I'd need something too expensive for the sound. I'm more concerned with the video quality because many of the logitech cams out there are junk, probably have to spend over $100 to get something decent.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

My logitech webcam cost 25 bucks, and it's on the primitive side.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I just upgraded from a Ezonics EzcamIII to a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webca ... 6&cl=US,EN)

This webcam has motion-tracking (follows your head) and operates in HD. The visual effects are only available at lower resolutions (960x720 HD) however.

Here is a video I made using some visual effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=famf2LLyXsc
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Animus,

Was the Logitech 9000 Used for your other videos too? or just the special effects one?
Animus

Post by Animus »

I've only made a few videos since I got it.

If you view this link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=lo ... 0665400257

This is a video I made in higher resolution without video effects.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Also Ryan, if you are interested in seeing a particular resolution or effect, let me know and I'll make a video demonstrating it.

I haven't been able to get the avatars to work well, and for some reason during an update I lost the ability to face-track. I'll try to reinstall and make a demo of how that works.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I should add that with the EZcamIII I could never get the lighting proper, whereas the 9000's "Right Light" works even with all of my lights off. It works so well in-fact that I sometimes forget to turn lights on and I take a hit to framerate as a consequence.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Sorry Ryan, it's the Logitech QuickCam Fusion that I have.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I'll probably buy the Logitech PRO 9000 used off Kijiji or ebay. It has pretty decent views for the price. Pretty decent video and sound from what I can tell...only about $100 new.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan, what sort of videos are you planning to make? Just curious.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Many posts will zone in on philosophy, psychology, biology, with some other more general opinions in areas such as politics, economics, current news and so on. However, even my general opinion posts will tie in with philosophy/psychology by using examples. I already posted some videos a few years ago, but I'd like to post another wave or set. It would be interesting to observe how my mind changes as I age. Almost a sort of longitudinal case study. Perhaps I'll become more conscious or maybe less...I feel the same as 2 years ago, but I'd like to observe if the quality of my posts change...However, in my first wave of videos, I didn't prepare for very long - I just spoke in the moment, which is why it has a sort of rough sloppiness to it.

There is something to be said about the polished nature of the QRS approach in the Men of the infinite channel... They obviously prepare much longer, and it sounds as if Dan writes out much of what he is going to say on paper. Whereas I sort of just attempt to gather my thoughts with a few scratches on a paper, and then I start. Two totally different approaches...
Animus

Post by Animus »

I spend a few hours thinking and then turn on the camera and begin spewing my thoughts onto the internet. Occasionally something really good comes out, but a lot of times it doesn't.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:I'll probably buy the Logitech PRO 9000 used off Kijiji or ebay. It has pretty decent views for the price. Pretty decent video and sound from what I can tell...only about $100 new.
Yea, I think its better than the Fusion. The fusion doesn't have Zeiss optics and turns out it doesn't record video above 960x720 it only does screenshots at higher resolutions.
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

I wouldn't normally ask about this sort of thing here, but since this topic is already here....

I've been thinking of recording some videos for YouTube, but they would be of me playing guitar. So the sound quality is at least as important as the video. (I don't have much to say philosophically at the moment that others aren't saying better elsewhere.)

I have good microphones, so I imagine I could use those along with the webcam. Is there any problem with that?

And does a webcam come with some kind of video editting software, or do I need to get that elsewhere? Any recommendations there?
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Dhodges,
I have good microphones, so I imagine I could use those along with the webcam. Is there any problem with that?
yes, you should have no problem with that.
And does a webcam come with some kind of video editting software, or do I need to get that elsewhere? Any recommendations there?
no, most webcams do not come with video editing software, but windows has a cheap movie maker built into it now, which actually does a lot. And if it won't do what you want it to do, you could always go on a torrent site like ISO HUNT and download an older version of Adobe Premiere.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I dunno Dhodges,

I have multiple microphones, I have a unidirectional condensor microphone, the microphone which comes with Rock Band for PS3, a headset w/ microphone and the mic on the QuickCam Fusion and none of them record good sound at all.

Of course, it could just be that I don't know how to record sound properly.