Does one have to be talented in order to be a pro athlete?

Post questions or suggestions here.
MaobiSG

Does one have to be talented in order to be a pro athlete?

Post by MaobiSG »

Glenn Cunnigham was severely injured as a boy. He was injured so badly that he wouldnt be able to work normally again. Through his great determination he became one of the greatest track runners of all time. Wilma Rudolph was born with a leg deformity and she coulnt even walk. Through determination she became the world's fastet woman. Reggie Miller was also born with leg deformities and he still became a pro basketball player. So do you really need to be talented in order to be a pro athlete. These people were the extreme opposite of athletically talented. Most people I presented this argument to told me I was wrong. I honestly think I'm right though. Doesnt my argument defeat the concept of one having to be talented in order to be a pro athlete?
MaobiSG

Re: Does one have to be talented in order to be a pro athlete?

Post by MaobiSG »

Please respond. This question is really annoying me. I need an answer.
Philosophaster

Re: Does one have to be talented in order to be a pro athlete?

Post by Philosophaster »

The ability to persevere through difficulties is also a talent, I think. So I would say, "Yes."

Also, certain physical abilities (like quickness and endurance) are determined by the proportion of slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle fibers you're born with, which is mostly genetic. A person can be born with a bad leg and still have the genetic potential to grow powerful muscles.