SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOUR XMAS SHOPPING SPREE:

Post questions or suggestions here.
Jason

Re: SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOUR XMAS SHOPPING SPREE:

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:I do have many inadequacies, I do routinely hide behind a mask, and much of it could be accurately described as juvenile, but I'm sincerely trying to move forward and develop and improve upon both myself and the human condition.
Well, good for you. I hope you succeed.
Thanks.
vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:I see sickness, lies and unconsciousness
Then engage those people, draw them out. It's not hard.
I'd love to, but I do in fact find it very difficult. A lot of my energy is focused on trying to overcome this problem.
vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:I'm being honest and I'm attempting progress. From what I've seen you don't seem to possess the necessary tools to recognize or understand these types of issues.
You mean because I don't go around whining about how shallow and inadequate the world is?..
No, I said that because of what I see as your historical lack of appreciation of these issues, and also because of the way in which you responded to my previous post - seemingly suggesting conformity and resignation to the conventional ways of "the world" as the solution.
vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:I suspect your psychological characteristics may render any real appreciation of the situation impossible.
Yeah, my lack of whining and of any sense of intellectual or spiritual aggrievement.

You remind me of some existentialists who spend an awful lot of time bemoaning the terrible absurdity of human condition, and complaining about how they are condemned to be free. Pathetic. Yes, Universe is meaningless, there is no purpose, and you are, indeed, free whether you want it or not. Embrace the existential void, refuse to hide behind the skirts of your cultural upbringing --
I think that almost anyone who believes that they are free from the conditioning of their culture and upbringing is extremely lacking in psychological self-insight. Simply proclaiming freedom doesn't make it so.
vicdan wrote:or keep wallowing in the decaying pit of your enculturation; it's your choice.
My very choice and ability to avoid Christmas gatherings is significantly explained by my relative freedom from the constraints of cultural conditioning, as are my critiques of these affairs.
vicdan wrote:You are FREE, dude! You have the freedom to become what you will -- you just have to decide what, and strive for it, instead of whining.
I'm identifying what I see as problems in the hope of finding possible solutions, this is how progress is made, it's not mere whining.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Jason wrote:No, I said that because of what I see as your historical lack of appreciation of these issues, and also because of the way in which you responded to my previous post - seemingly suggesting conformity and resignation to the conventional ways of "the world" as the solution.
See, you totally missed the point.

There is a third option besides become like one of 'them', or being a self-conscious outsider; an entire universe of 'third options' in fact -- or zeroth options rather, because rejecting the very counting of the first and second options, rejecting that very coordinate axis, is precisely the point. Both 'for' and 'against' approaches indicate that you give a fuck about the insider/outsider relationship; whether you are for it or against it, you are still moving along the same axis.

I am suggesting that you not give a fuck. Doesn't mean you reject them or embrace them -- simply stop worrying about this whole me/them relationship. Simply be. You are trapped in their world -- even when you oppose it, you define your actions by opposing them rather than by being you.

it's like conformism/non-conformism. Non-conformists still let conformism define them, even if only in the negative. The answer is not to not conform, but rather to ignore than plane of social reality altogether. Sometimes you might look like you conform, sometimes you might look like you don't -- why should you give a fuck?

Your problem is not that you are coming up with the wrong answers, it's that you aren't even asking the right questions. You are trapped in their coordinate plane of values and beliefs. You are measuring yourself by comparing yourself to them. They pervade and define your thinking, even if only as something which you are not. Your very self-consciousness of being not them, your obsession with this me/them relationship, is your prison cell.
vicdan wrote:I think that almost anyone who believes that they are free from the conditioning of their culture and upbringing is extremely lacking in psychological self-insight. Simply proclaiming freedom doesn't make it so.
Once again you totally missed the point. :)

I am no more free from my cultural upbringing than I am from the laws of gravity; but I can choose to do something about it. You can choose to let others define your coordinate plane for you, or you can choose to do something else.

You have a long way to go, dude.
My very choice and ability to avoid Christmas gatherings is significantly explained by my relative freedom from the constraints of cultural conditioning, as are my critiques of these affairs.
You are no more free from your cultural conditioning than a non-conformist is free from social norms -- especially a non-conformist who defines himself by criticizing and rejecting the conformist norms of society. You still let them define you.

You are rebelling, it seems, but a rebellion cannot be a rebellion. You can only really rebel by not rebelling. Stop pushing back against it, and simply shift your coordinate space. A rebel is defined by that which he is rebelling against, and is doomed to failure thereby; unless of course his goal was to simply overthrow and then replace the old hierarchy, in which case he will probably succeed. Only someone who has simply foregone the entire system/rebellion plane, can succeed -- without actually rebelling! -- at that which a rebel will forever futilely chase.
Forethought Venus Wednesday
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Some good advice by Victor, but it's rather undone by the whiny tone of his own voice, his lack of indifference to what he sees is wrong with the world, and the way he defines himself by aggressively opposing things like religion and spiritual thought.

I can't see the difference between Jason opposing Christmas and Victor opposing, say, the New Age. Or between Jason putting on his non-conformist mask and Victor putting on his uber-aggressive Devil's mask.

In short, Victor doesn't seem very free to me. His aggressiveness betrays this.

Do as I say and not as I do, seems to be the message here.

-
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

David Quinn wrote:Some good advice by Victor, but it's rather undone by the whiny tone of his own voice, his lack of indifference to what he sees is wrong with the world
Why the fuck should I be indifferent? i an interested in what I am interested in. 'Indifference' is a pose. I didn't say anything about indifference in general, I spoke of indifference to others' valuation schemata.
and the way he defines himself by aggressively opposing things like religion and spiritual thought.
I actually don't. i hate religious arguments, and I only oppose them when they intrude into my sphere. There is nothing aggressive about my opposition to religion -- i don't go out and seek religious people and/or arguments to oppose.
A free man is free to be aggressive -- but my aggression is not against religion, it's against irrationality; and I choose that.
Dude, i am all about understanding, not doing. I do whatever I feel like doing, I try to understand everything.

See my sig -- it tells all, if you understand it.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

vicdan wrote:
David Quinn wrote:Some good advice by Victor, but it's rather undone by the whiny tone of his own voice, his lack of indifference to what he sees is wrong with the world
Why the fuck should I be indifferent? i an interested in what I am interested in. 'Indifference' is a pose. I didn't say anything about indifference in general, I spoke of indifference to others' valuation schemata.

How does aggressively attacking other people's values equate to indifference to their valuation schema?

You say you hate irrationality and choose to be aggressive towards it, which means that you're not being indifferent to their own choice to be irrational.

How is Jason behaving any differently when it comes to Christmas?

vicdan wrote:
and the way he defines himself by aggressively opposing things like religion and spiritual thought.
I actually don't. i hate religious arguments, and I only oppose them when they intrude into my sphere. There is nothing aggressive about my opposition to religion -- i don't go out and seek religious people and/or arguments to oppose.

I dare say you regard this forum to be religious in nature and yet you happily come here to vent your spleen.

vicdan wrote:
A free man is free to be aggressive -- but my aggression is not against religion, it's against irrationality; and I choose that.

No, you feel threatened by it. It surrounds and imprisons you and your aggression is a form of trying to tear it down.

The manic nature of your posts doesn't reflect a free man without cares.

vicdan wrote:
Dude, i am all about understanding, not doing. I do whatever I feel like doing, I try to understand everything.

Within the narrow parameters you have "chosen" for yourself, sure.

Unfortunately, I don't speak Latin, Father Victor.

-
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

David Quinn wrote:You say you hate irrationality and choose to be aggressive towards it, which means that you're not being indifferent to their own choice to be irrational.
My, my, you are sharp. :)

of course not. the point is that I chose which valuation plane to work in. I made a deliberate choice which I am quite content with. Jason, quite clearly, is not content with his.
vicdan wrote:I dare say you regard this forum to be religious in nature and yet you happily come here to vent your spleen.
I regard this forum as irrational in nature, and I have fun shooting fish in a barrel.
vicdan wrote:The manic nature of your posts doesn't reflect a free man without cares.
of course not. I care passionately about many things, and I think that human potential can only be maximized via synergy of reason and passion. You are simply conflating dispassion with freedom. You confuse not letting others define you (i.e. not caring about everyone's valuation schemata) with not caring in general.

I choose what to care about, and what not to.
vicdan wrote:

You don't need knowledge of Latin to decipher it, just a little knowledge of mythology -- of three different mythologies, to be exact. You don't care about knowing the history of human thought and belief of course, so I doubt you could swing it -- you are too myopic. :)
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It just means you like to plan wild hunts for hot chicks.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Yeah, dude, that's exactly it. You are indeed a genius. :)
Animus

Post by Animus »

Doesn't wednesday correspond to Mercury, hence Fr. mercredi, with venus corresponding to Friday, hence Fr. vendredi. Or to put it in latin: dies Mercurĭi and dies Venĕris respectively. The english word "Wednesday" comes from Old English "Wōdnesdæg" after the Norse God Woden/Odin who is identified as historians as matching "Mercury". In German however, this day is simply Mittwoch for "Mid-Week".
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Good try, but I mentioned three mythologies. :)

It's not about days of week though. You had it right on Wednesday in one of your guesses.

If anyone just wants an answer, let me know. Otherwise, if someone enjoys a little challenge, be my guests.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Animus, what planet does Thursday correspond to? Jupiter?

If so, we have moonday, marsday, mercuryday, jupiterday, venusday, saturnday, and sunday.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Yea, Thursday, or Thor's Day, is Jupiter. Most languages use some variation of Thor or Jupiter for the name. In German it is "Donnerstag", "Donner" is German for "Thunder", which is the German name for "Thor". Thor and Jupiter are thought by many historians to be identical characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_th ... c_overview
mystex

Post by mystex »

I suspect the problem lies with you, not with the company.
No one's denying this. It depends how big the problem is, and if it can be worked through. Ultimately, this is a personal problem, though "butting-in" may help.
I always find myself wishing for more intellectual discussions, but that is not opposed to finding people interesting, worth listening to and understanding. It's called "empathy", dude.
Ahh... So, it's about intellectually relating to someone? I don't really understand this.

I have found that people lack empathy, they seem to care about themselves and relating to themselves - (more so) - than to have a genuine interest in another human being. I'm not sure how much self-interest vs interest in the other (person conversing with) is involved. I'd like to know this. In my experience, people that didn't understand what I was saying, just didn't understand it, and not the other way around. I guess, deep down, I wish more people cared about me, I wish they would show it. There were times when this happened; a friend hugged me or wanted to hug me, but I shied away. I wanted to express my true emotions, but something was blocking the path. I think it's deeply rooted in my upbringing. The only way to fix this (that I see) is to develop meaningful relationships. Try, don't be afraid.
Yeah, if it's a charade, that's a problem. Perhaps you, being as brilliantly blaze and as suffused with ennui as you are, could find your way to being 'normal and 'OK' instead of pretending it. Or maybe you could continue to hide your inadequacy behind the juvenile mask of alienation. I suspect you will choose the latter. I bet you were about to say how nobody understands you!
That's right, band-aid solutions don't really work.
Try changing. Reality is a fascinating place, even if all your family cares about is kids and work. Instead of figuring out ways in which you are incompatible with the world, try to embrace reality. As it is, you are simply whining.
My thoughts exactly! Though, I didn't want to say anything - I didn't want to be mean. Bless you, then!
Oh well, who cares?
I care. It sounds like you desperately need someone for emotional support. Someone to hold you. Someone to make you feel like you matter to them. It's that deep emotional bond that you crave... These are natural wants for an emotionally neglected human being. It wasn't your fault.

It's not your fault.
I already have plenty of experience and knowledge of it.
You're missing something. See above.
Lack of interest doesn't necessarily signal lack of empathy, but I do have some unfortunate anxieties which may make it hard for me to connect with these people in a satisfying way.
I think there's some sort of fear involved. If not... Then... I don't know.
I don't consider being normal and ok, in this sense, to be something that should be aspired to. I have higher and healthier aspirations.
Neglecting these normal human activities doesn't necessarily allow a movement towards bigger and better things. The foundation must be healthy. No emotional scars. Can the emotional scars be forgotten?
I do have many inadequacies, I do routinely hide behind a mask, and much of it could be accurately described as juvenile, but I'm sincerely trying to move forward and develop and improve upon both myself and the human condition.
Define "inadequacies". Some are imagined, some are really there. Who am I to judge.
I see sickness, lies and unconsciousness, and no genuine desire or attempt to do anything to address them but instead active ongoing attempts to add even more momentum to this status quo. Christmas has a tendency to epitomize all this and I'm not interested in embracing or tacitly supporting it.
I love Christmas!
'm being honest and I'm attempting progress. From what I've seen you don't seem to possess the necessary tools to recognize or understand these types of issues. "The Human Evasion" and possibly "Civilization and Its Discontents" might provide you with some insight, although I suspect your psychological characteristics may render any real appreciation of the situation impossible.
Yes, Vic, can come across as an intellectual snob, but I think he's a good guy. I probably don't understand his motives. I'm uneducated. And pretty much useless in comparison. Age and life experience matter. Education is another biggy.
I think what you're suggesting is indecent. I wouldn't have the heart to do that to family.
You mean because I don't go around whining about how shallow and inadequate the world is?..

You just proved my point.
I wish I knew the tricks of the trade.
You remind me of some existentialists who spend an awful lot of time bemoaning the terrible absurdity of human condition, and complaining about how they are condemned to be free. Pathetic. Yes, Universe is meaningless, there is no purpose, and you are, indeed, free whether you want it or not. Embrace the existential void, refuse to hide behind the skirts of your cultural upbringing -- or keep wallowing in the decaying pit of your enculturation; it's your choice.

You are FREE, dude! You have the freedom to become what you will -- you just have to decide what, and strive for it, instead of whining.
What if there are deeper issues at hand here? What if there's a part of me that I don't want to explore? Yeah, I guess questions like this are stupid. I don't know. I've found that the smallest thing can sometimes change everything. For instance: what if I actually have an illness (maybe the diagnosis is correct - small chance, though) and I'm keeping it hidden, by living as if I'm imprisoned? What if I free myself and flip-out!? These questions, however stupid, are what maybe keeping me in control.

Freedom comes in 2009.

Anyway, Vic, I think you're more/less right. However, if there are issues that prevent me from acting free, then should I not resolve these issues first as a good step towards freedom? I mean, if I act or pretend I'm free then will I not be free as free can be since I still have skeletons in my closet?
I think that almost anyone who believes that they are free from the conditioning of their culture and upbringing is extremely lacking in psychological self-insight. Simply proclaiming freedom doesn't make it so.
Rightly so, but I would say that there are different levels of freedom. For instance: a person in jail maybe more free, then a fellow walking around on the outside.
Deeper issues.
I'm identifying what I see as problems in the hope of finding possible solutions, this is how progress is made, it's not mere whining.
If you identify it as a problem, then it certainly is a problem, even if it wasn't a problem before you identified it as such. The key is to identify a real problem as a problem, not make up problems. That's only a first step to a resolution of some kind.

There is a third option besides become like one of 'them', or being a self-conscious outsider; an entire universe of 'third options' in fact -- or zeroth options rather, because rejecting the very counting of the first and second options, rejecting that very coordinate axis, is precisely the point. Both 'for' and 'against' approaches indicate that you give a fuck about the insider/outsider relationship; whether you are for it or against it, you are still moving along the same axis.

I am suggesting that you not give a fuck. Doesn't mean you reject them or embrace them -- simply stop worrying about this whole me/them relationship. Simply be. You are trapped in their world -- even when you oppose it, you define your actions by opposing them rather than by being you.

it's like conformism/non-conformism. Non-conformists still let conformism define them, even if only in the negative. The answer is not to not conform, but rather to ignore than plane of social reality altogether. Sometimes you might look like you conform, sometimes you might look like you don't -- why should you give a fuck?

Your problem is not that you are coming up with the wrong answers, it's that you aren't even asking the right questions. You are trapped in their coordinate plane of values and beliefs. You are measuring yourself by comparing yourself to them. They pervade and define your thinking, even if only as something which you are not. Your very self-consciousness of being not them, your obsession with this me/them relationship, is your prison cell.
This is interesting.

How would you resolve this: If you live with a person that has controlled you (or tried to) in the past. How do you deal with this if you cannot simply leave? Second, if you left that would be avoiding the problem. Third, it's not just the problem of the now, it's also the problem of the past. Avoiding the past? No. I'm thinking of traveling back to the past and changing my memories of it. How authentic would that be?
I am no more free from my cultural upbringing than I am from the laws of gravity; but I can choose to do something about it. You can choose to let others define your coordinate plane for you, or you can choose to do something else.

You have a long way to go, dude.
He is choosing, dude! What the heck makes you the authority? *WAIT* You see what happened here? This is unavoidable. Fleeing/fighting - I don't see a good option. How does one deal with this issue/s? Forget. OK.
You are no more free from your cultural conditioning than a non-conformist is free from social norms -- especially a non-conformist who defines himself by criticizing and rejecting the conformist norms of society. You still let them define you.

You are rebelling, it seems, but a rebellion cannot be a rebellion. You can only really rebel by not rebelling. Stop pushing back against it, and simply shift your coordinate space. A rebel is defined by that which he is rebelling against, and is doomed to failure thereby; unless of course his goal was to simply overthrow and then replace the old hierarchy, in which case he will probably succeed. Only someone who has simply foregone the entire system/rebellion plane, can succeed -- without actually rebelling! -- at that which a rebel will forever futilely chase.
...What hierarchy? What are you talking about? Is this like one of those "illusions" David was once talking about?
I can't see the difference between Jason opposing Christmas and Victor opposing, say, the New Age. Or between Jason putting on his non-conformist mask and Victor putting on his uber-aggressive Devil's mask.
What is the "New Age"? I've heard this being throw around. I think my dad mentioned it... Weird.
You go...! (heh-heh)

Uh-Oh... maybe the aggression chose it?!
It's better to understand and do, then to not understand and do. And even better: don't do if you don't understand! I think I've got it down pat!
Jason

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:No, I said that because of what I see as your historical lack of appreciation of these issues, and also because of the way in which you responded to my previous post - seemingly suggesting conformity and resignation to the conventional ways of "the world" as the solution.

I am suggesting that you not give a fuck. Doesn't mean you reject them or embrace them -- simply stop worrying about this whole me/them relationship. Simply be. You are trapped in their world -- even when you oppose it, you define your actions by opposing them rather than by being you.

If you think I'm rebelling for rebellion's sake or that I rage against convention simply because it's convention - you've got me all wrong. That sort of thing is repulsive to me. Those are not my motivations or methods at all. Maybe you're making this mistake because of the way I usually frame these issues.

As a broad generalization, the fact is that particular actions, thoughts, beliefs etc either fall inside or outside of convention - you can't escape that. And given a variety of factors, including the shared and almost universal cultural conditioning that humans are subject to, and that cultural conditioning is very often unquestioned unexamined and unconscious, I find it useful and meaningful to frame these issues in terms of cultural conditioning and conformity.

What I'm actually attempting to do is identify and then either erase, replace or re-engineer the irrational, unhelpful, stupid and unhealthy mores, beliefs, morals, customs, rituals, traditions, taboos, laws, habits, practices, expectations, fashions, ceremonies etc etc etc. It is a reaction to convention, but one based on critical rational examination and consideration, I don't generally consider this to be "rebelling." This struggle is as much with myself as it is with the people and society that surround me.

Of course, "they" do pervade my thinking and my world, that's what cultural conditioning and the mainstream are - "they" are everywhere, inside and out. This cultural conditioning is in us all, it is the canvas upon which anything else will be painted. It would be disingenuous for me to claim otherwise, to act as if my ideas, beliefs and actions are not intimately related to this.

Having said all that though, you are right that an unfortunately large part of me is obsessively and self-consciously focused on the dynamic and comparison between "me" and "them." It's partly related to finding myself at the mercy of certain people's approval and disapproval. I am constantly aware of this and trying to overcome it.
mystex

Post by mystex »

You're remodeling your mind.
Jason

Post by Jason »

mystex wrote:You're remodeling your mind.
Yes in some ways I'm attempting to. Much of it seems to have been blindly inherited and constructed from a mishmash of poorly conceived and contradictory blueprints, some dating back many millennia to ignorant, irrational and superstitious designers. The same can be said for society and culture.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

mystex wrote:
I think what you're suggesting is indecent. I wouldn't have the heart to do that to family.
Why do you think engaging people, getting them to talk about themselves, is indecent? if what they are presenting is sickness and lies and unconsciousness, getting them to open up might just be a monumentally decent thing to do. That's what psychotherapists do, no? Helping people to open up and understand themselves.

Like they say in Russian, it's combining the pleasant with the beneficial.
What if there are deeper issues at hand here? What if there's a part of me that I don't want to explore?
There are quite likely to be; but do you really think hiding those parts is the answer?

As per your own example, if you have cancer, you might not wish to explore it, but do you think ignoring it and pretending you are OK is in your best interests?
Anyway, Vic, I think you're more/less right. However, if there are issues that prevent me from acting free, then should I not resolve these issues first as a good step towards freedom? I mean, if I act or pretend I'm free then will I not be free as free can be since I still have skeletons in my closet?
There is no 'before' there. Trying to resolve those issues is the path to freedom -- in this case, to freedom from the scary, chittering, manipulative things in the dark recesses of the unconscious.

You might never be free from your problems, but the very act of choosing to strive, to fashion yourself into what you choose to be, is an act of freedom. Freedom is a process, not a state.
How would you resolve this: If you live with a person that has controlled you (or tried to) in the past. How do you deal with this if you cannot simply leave?
The best time to deal with this is before you get hooked up with this person. Of course if it's your parent or guardian, that might not be an option. However, looking ahead and avoiding such problems is the best way to deal with them.

Given such a situation as a fait accompli, the next question to ask is -- why can't you leave? So, why can't you leave in this situation? I cannot conceive of many situations where you genuinely can't leave. More likely you are afraid of what leaving would entail.

Assuming leaving genuinely isn't an option, you can either actively fight back, or you can shift out of the plane of manipulation/pushback altogether, simply ignoring the manipulation attempts. The latter is harder to do, but probably more effective.
He is choosing, dude! What the heck makes you the authority?
The fact that everything I talk about, I have done successfully. I chose what I am, and fashioned myself thus. I took care of my mental hangups. I looked ahead and made good choices, in the process rescuing other people from their own mental hangups too. I fashioned myself a life which is good materially, emotionally, and spiritually.
...What hierarchy? What are you talking about?
I am saying that much of the time, a rebellion is really a palace coup, aiming o replace the old king with the new king, rather than to disrupt the existing order.
Last edited by vicdan on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Jason wrote:What I'm actually attempting to do is identify and then either erase, replace or re-engineer the irrational, unhelpful, stupid and unhealthy mores, beliefs, morals, customs, rituals, traditions, taboos, laws, habits, practices, expectations, fashions, ceremonies etc etc etc. It is a reaction to convention, but one based on critical rational examination and consideration, I don't generally consider this to be "rebelling."
of course you don't.

So, though I thought it unlikely, it seems you are interested in a 'palace coup'. You want power rather than freedom. Carry on then, I don't think I have much to say to that, except this: even if you succeed (and given the scope of your intended coup, it's astronomically unlikely), you will still fail your other goals. You will not free yourself from the me/them thing. At best, you will find a different set of 'them' to obsess over.
Of course, "they" do pervade my thinking and my world, that's what cultural conditioning and the mainstream are - "they" are everywhere, inside and out.
There is no 'of course' there. You permit 'them' to occupy such a position.
This cultural conditioning is in us all, it is the canvas upon which anything else will be painted. It would be disingenuous for me to claim otherwise, to act as if my ideas, beliefs and actions are not intimately related to this.
But they aren't. Once you are aware of this enculturation, you can choose what to do about it. You can change yourself. You can change the way you make decisions. It might be a part of you forever, in some way or another, but it doesn't have to define you.

People can change. People do change. People can change consciously and deliberately, providing they are willing to invest themselves in such change. The surest way to lose is to not play.
Having said all that though, you are right that an unfortunately large part of me is obsessively and self-consciously focused on the dynamic and comparison between "me" and "them." It's partly related to finding myself at the mercy of certain people's approval and disapproval. I am constantly aware of this and trying to overcome it.
Good luck; but given the goal you pursue -- the 'palace coup' mode -- I don't think you will succeed. Your strategic goal is fundamentally incompatible with your operational desires.
Jason

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:What I'm actually attempting to do is identify and then either erase, replace or re-engineer the irrational, unhelpful, stupid and unhealthy mores, beliefs, morals, customs, rituals, traditions, taboos, laws, habits, practices, expectations, fashions, ceremonies etc etc etc. It is a reaction to convention, but one based on critical rational examination and consideration, I don't generally consider this to be "rebelling."
of course you don't.

So, though I thought it unlikely, it seems you are interested in a 'palace coup'. You want power rather than freedom.
No, I want the structures that infuse and control humans, both internally and externally, to be more sanely, consciously and intelligently engineered. I want them to be more consistent and less contradictory. I want them to fit the human form more comfortably and naturally so that they lead to more fulfillment.

Like I said to mystex, currently they are created from a patchwork of poorly designed contradictory plans blindly inherited from often ignorant, irrational and superstitious sources.
vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:Of course, "they" do pervade my thinking and my world, that's what cultural conditioning and the mainstream are - "they" are everywhere, inside and out.
There is no 'of course' there. You permit 'them' to occupy such a position.
"They" started the longterm occupation of my being long before I was capable of knowing what was even happening to me, even before there was a "me" in the subjective sense. The process continued up through my childhood and has never stopped since. I hardly think I could be charged with permitting that to occur.

Conditioning and habit are very strong forces in the life of most humans, it's not so simple just to choose something different. It's very difficult to even consciously identify a lot of what has been put into me by conditioning, let alone change it. Again you give me the impression of severely underestimating the sheer width, depth and magnitude of cultural conditioning.
vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:This cultural conditioning is in us all, it is the canvas upon which anything else will be painted. It would be disingenuous for me to claim otherwise, to act as if my ideas, beliefs and actions are not intimately related to this.
But they aren't. Once you are aware of this enculturation, you can choose what to do about it. You can change yourself. You can change the way you make decisions. It might be a part of you forever, in some way or another, but it doesn't have to define you.

People can change. People do change. People can change consciously and deliberately, providing they are willing to invest themselves in such change.
Do you think I'm not attempting to do exactly that?
vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:Having said all that though, you are right that an unfortunately large part of me is obsessively and self-consciously focused on the dynamic and comparison between "me" and "them." It's partly related to finding myself at the mercy of certain people's approval and disapproval. I am constantly aware of this and trying to overcome it.
Good luck; but given the goal you pursue -- the 'palace coup' mode -- I don't think you will succeed. Your strategic goal is fundamentally incompatible with your operational desires.
I'm still not sure that you really understand my motives and desires in this, but how exactly is it incompatible?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Victor is being disingenuous in his conversation with Jason. He is firmly entrenched within the mainstream - in his case, the nerdish, academic mainstream - and has no plans of ever questioning that. He then imagines that he has chosen this prison.

As a result, he has no grasp of what Jason is talking about.

vicdan wrote:
David Quinn wrote:You say you hate irrationality and choose to be aggressive towards it, which means that you're not being indifferent to their own choice to be irrational.
My, my, you are sharp. :)

of course not. the point is that I chose which valuation plane to work in. I made a deliberate choice which I am quite content with. Jason, quite clearly, is not content with his.

Jason is simply being more honest and insightful about what is going on inside him.

The manic, aggressive nature of your posts indicate that you are not choosing to behave the way you behave, but that you are being compelled.

Given this large delusion you have about yourself, I don't believe you are serious about "attacking irrationality".

Your main enjoyment is abusing people. "Attacking irrationality" is merely your attempt to justify such depravity.

vicdan wrote:
The manic nature of your posts doesn't reflect a free man without cares.
of course not. I care passionately about many things, and I think that human potential can only be maximized via synergy of reason and passion. You are simply conflating dispassion with freedom. You confuse not letting others define you (i.e. not caring about everyone's valuation schemata) with not caring in general.

I choose what to care about, and what not to.

I know, I know, "things just happen".

vicdan wrote:

You don't need knowledge of Latin to decipher it, just a little knowledge of mythology -- of three different mythologies, to be exact. You don't care about knowing the history of human thought and belief of course, so I doubt you could swing it -- you are too myopic. :)
You did explain it once, but it was so unmemorable that I promptly forgot it again. Do you really imagine that people outside of your nerdish clique are interested in those kinds of banal games?

-
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Jason wrote:I'm still not sure that you really understand my motives and desires in this
of course not. You are a unique individual, just like everyone else.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

David Quinn wrote:Victor is being disingenuous in his conversation with Jason. He is firmly entrenched within the mainstream - in his case, the nerdish, academic mainstream - and has no plans of ever questioning that.
Which is of course quite funny because I am neither in philosophical nor in economic academia. You just like to sling that term around as an pseudo-insult.

The sad thing is that any decent junior philosophy student could run circles around you philosophically.
The manic, aggressive nature of your posts indicate that you are not choosing to behave the way you behave, but that you are being compelled.
Sure, whatever, buddha. :D

'Detachment' is your obsession. Don't mistake your obsessions for reality.
You did explain it once, but it was so unmemorable that I promptly forgot it again. Do you really imagine that people outside of your nerdish clique are interested in those kinds of banal games?
<shrug> Some are. If they aren't -- perhaps if, like you, they don't care to understand the human culture in its scope through history and across the world -- then sure, they wouldn't care.
Nick

Post by Nick »

David Quinn wrote:I can't see the difference between Jason opposing Christmas and Victor opposing, say, the New Age. Or between Jason putting on his non-conformist mask and Victor putting on his uber-aggressive Devil's mask.

Another example of Victor demonstrating how he remains trapped in the me v. them mentality is the way he labeled me a Marxist in the sticky thread at the top of worldly matters for simply entertaining the idea that capitalism could give way to socialism without giving any indication that I had anything vested in any particular outcome as far as Marxist theory is concerned.

It was a completely unconscious compulsion, just like most anything else he has to say. Victor is kind of like the smartest kid with down syndrome.
Last edited by Nick on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

Post by Jason »

vicdan wrote:
Jason wrote:I'm still not sure that you really understand my motives and desires in this
of course not. You are a unique individual, just like everyone else.
Plenty of people understand me and my motives and my desires in this, it's not that hard, I simply have my doubts that you're currently one them.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Nick Treklis wrote:Victor is kind of like the smartest kid with down syndrome.
I[*]t is incredibly ironic to be labeled mentally retarded by you, Nick.

I labeled you a marxist because you went to irrational extremes to defend marxism. Non-marxists don't generally do that, you know -- they don't twist and prevaricate to defend something they don't care about. You also spouted typical marxist idiocy (exponential erosion of the middle class! do you even know what the word 'exponential' means?) and invented ad-hoc excuses for the predictive failure of marxist theory (marxism would have succeeded, except for those damn central banks keeping capitalism afloat!). You also predicted the success of marxism in our lifetime -- something nobody but a marxist would predict.

You walk, talk, and quack like a marxist duck. Don't be mad at me just because I don't let you get away with your silly intellectual masquerade.