How do you know...

Post questions or suggestions here.
deathnotewithurname

How do you know...

Post by deathnotewithurname »

How do you know what you are, when you don't fit into any category? Yes I'm on drugs, and I understand how that may or may not play a factor in this, but I'm not a retard. I understand the concept of free will, the choices that I make and the consequences of those actions. I try not to speak on what I don't know, but I keep hearing from others that I'm either a genius, or a walking contradiction.

When I was younger, I got awards in school, was on the dean's list and all that, but I also raised my school's standardized test average enough to where my principal was angry at my dad for transferring me to the school across town. I failed at getting straight F's, but I was damn close. The only classes I passed were science, english, and art, all with respective A's.

I have been told that I have low self-esteem. I stopped trying to argue that I don't, I have NO self-esteem. I RARELY if ever think of myself in ways that would stick that dumb-ass label to my name. I like to think watch other people and all the ins and outs of their effect on others. But at the same time I have a deep disdain for our modern western society in general. My opinion: I'm not sure...

My opinion doesn't matter to me, maybe others might find it interesting if there was a focus within that umbrella topic, so I don't think it is worthless...

I'm too "white" for my family, and I'm the darkest "white" person my friends know.
I have managed to care about everyone and no one.
I trust and don't trust them...hmmm...this doesn't seem to be going well.

I don't like lying. It's almost like I'm too lazy to do it. The thought of lying and then maintaining the lie, that 9 times out of 10 you will be busted in, just seems like too much trouble. The ends don't justify the means.

But at the same time, I'm a closed mouth individual. Generally, you won't get the answer your really looking for unless you ask me directly. In which case, that would mean that it was something trivial anyway, so it would be unimportant to lie about.

I didn't start getting good grades consistently until I started smoking Marijuana consistently in the 9th grade. My family = uber religious, so I was kicked out for smoking the herb. Ironically, as a homeless stoner, I got a full ride scholarship to any college in Washington State, an award from the University of Washington, and I graduated.

I was the kid that slept all of biology and still got the 98% on the final.
I only showed up in my psych classes on test days and still had a 3.75 G.P.A.
I started, completed, and turned in my English papers 10 minutes before they are due...then get slammed with accusations of plagiarism. I didn't, so of course there was no proof, but it still irritated me.

Slacker, whatever...now I'm bored.
It is what it is.size]
Trevor Salyzyn

Re: How do you know...

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

How do you know what you are, when you don't fit into any category?
I'm not sure what you are asking for.

Do you want a taxonomic answer? Male H. sapiens; likely bipedal; lives in the Information Age. Rational mammal; relatively hairless; oxygen-breathing carbon-based lifeform. Alive at the time this sentence was written.

Taoist answer? No self-existence is possible; therefore, indistinguishable from surroundings: categorization impossible.

Pedagogical answer? Independent and self-sufficient student; finishes work on time. Does not require special assistance. Possible area of improvement: he could start assignments earlier, and put more effort into them, so as to ensure that ideas are creative and original.

Or, were you looking for a hot reading? Let me see your palm. Oooh, interesting. See how these two lines avoid each other, and never touch? At some point in your past, you had a falling out with a family member. And, look: this line fades out here. The future of this relationship is uncertain. I'm sorry, but if you'd like to know more, I'd need to check your cards. Don't worry, it's only $10.
A mindful man needs few words.
deathnotewithurname

It seems that being a genius, or the word genius itself means "an over-critical, cynical individual with a deep and passionate loathing of everyone else who is not like them."

Yea. Thanks.

A lot of you guys think you're so smart, but the people held in the highest regard here seem slightly short-sighted. Your have your own little cult followers and with the blind leading the blind, well I guess I'll just get the h*ll out of the way.

That sounds like a genius move to me anyway.
It is what it is.size]
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

I don't like lying. It's almost like I'm too lazy to do it. The thought of lying and then maintaining the lie, that 9 times out of 10 you will be busted in, just seems like too much trouble. The ends don't justify the means.
Yeah, but I bet you do it all the time. Like right now. Or you wouldn't have brought it up.
I started, completed, and turned in my English papers 10 minutes before they are due...then get slammed with accusations of plagiarism. I didn't, so of course there was no proof, but it still irritated me.
You are just so fucking intelligent I could puke.

So you got a free ride to school that many would kill for and you made nothing out of it. You get what you pay for.
I have been told that I have low self-esteem. I stopped trying to argue that I don't, I have NO self-esteem. I RARELY if ever think of myself in ways that would stick that dumb-ass label to my name. I like to think watch other people and all the ins and outs of their effect on others. But at the same time I have a deep disdain for our modern western society in general.
How many others have you lived in? You fucking slept through all your classes, so you can't have learned about other societies in other times in school.

Self-esteem comes from accomplishing things. Try doing that. And don't start with the genius and the A's and how high your GPA was without your expending any effort. If you're as smart as you seem to think you are, you know these are not accomplishments.
I'd be too ashamed to admit this.
And boring.

Half a dozen people that sound just like you show up at GF every week, stay a little while, then crawl back under the rocks they came from.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

deathnotewithurname wrote:It seems that being a genius, or the word genius itself means "an over-critical, cynical individual with a deep and passionate loathing of everyone else who is not like them."
You can read it like that if you want, but then you've completely missed the tone of voice.
A lot of you guys think you're so smart, but the people held in the highest regard here seem slightly short-sighted. Your have your own little cult followers and with the blind leading the blind, well I guess I'll just get the h*ll out of the way.

That sounds like a genius move to me anyway.
Or, you could learn something from the experience. From the way you're trying to fight fire with fire, I'm assuming that you think my post was a personal attack. That is wrong. Your question was really vague. It's not like I'm compromising your core beliefs when I reveal that I can't think of any way to respond to a poor question. Everyone asks poor questions now and then.

Think of a better way to ask this, if you want a particular sort of answer. Or leave. Your choice.
A mindful man needs few words.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Trevor wrote:Or, you could learn something from the experience. From the way you're trying to fight fire with fire, I'm assuming that you think my post was a personal attack. That is wrong. Your question was really vague. It's not the end of the world when you ask a confusing question.
Yeah, horsewithnoname. Trevor rarely, if ever, does the personal attack thing. FYI, neither do I. We here at GF quarrel amongst ourselves and constantly disagree with each other on this point or that, but what we have in common is that we are always digging for the truth. That's all Trevor is doing.

And fix your signature, willya?
deathnotewithurname

I guess it was a very vague question, but I only had a vague idea of what I wanted to say. None of what I said was a lie, and whatever opinions of me there are, well have a cookie and enjoy them because I don't care. They are not the truth.

I guess that a great truth isn't something that can be learned or discovered, but that it can only be stumbled upon. Maybe a great truth is something intangible, it cannot be held in the hand, but felt with every fiber of a person's being and resists the bindings of language itself.

Meh...shrug...
It is what it is.size]
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I am not a fan of those who accuse others then end with a shrug. It doesn't say anything about their character that I can feel good about.

I think you're just having a wank. Are you?
deathnotewithurname

Actually, I would say that the person who can admit a mistake would be a decent person, at the same time I don't necessarily think I am wrong.
You are just so fucking intelligent I could puke.

So you got a free ride to school that many would kill for and you made nothing out of it. You get what you pay for.
Ouch. This looks like a good example of what I did. Incomplete information + jaded past experiences = false accusative conclusions. But if I'm wrong, let me know.
Self-esteem comes from accomplishing things. Try doing that. And don't start with the genius and the A's and how high your GPA was without your expending any effort. If you're as smart as you seem to think you are, you know these are not accomplishments.
Alright, I'll take your word for it. I thought surviving was a decent enough accomplishment. But then again, I DID spend this whole time being selfish when I should have been saving the world...how could I have been so blind?! What have you accomplished? Maybe your long list of altruistic deeds and great contributions to man's collective knowledge will help me get motivated.
It is what it is.size]
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

whatsinaname wrote:Ouch. This looks like a good example of what I did. Incomplete information + jaded past experiences = false accusative conclusions. But if I'm wrong, let me know.
Thank you, I will.

Incomplete information? You're the one who decided what and how much about yourself to write. I didn't make you sound like an asshole - you did that all by yourself.

And of what did I accuse you? Precisely?
Alright, I'll take your word for it. I thought surviving was a decent enough accomplishment.
First of all, "alright" is considered substandard. The correct way to write this is "all right."

Surviving is a decent enough accomplishment? Compared to what? Not surviving? That sets you apart from which living organisms ...? "I'm special because I'm alive."
But then again, I DID spend this whole time being selfish when I should have been saving the world...how could I have been so blind?!
Try to achieve small accomplishments first. For instance, you could try being not such a narcissistic smart-ass. Later on you can worry about saving something.
What have you accomplished?
Compared to you, plenty.
Maybe your long list of altruistic deeds and great contributions to man's collective knowledge will help me get motivated.
I doubt it. Somebody who thinks that getting by (i.e., "survival") is good enough would be too difficult to motivate.

I couldn't even motivate you to fix your signature.
deathnotewithurname

What about my signature do you find distasteful? Why should I to fix my signature? Is it broken? It's mine. It says what I want it to say. If you don't like it, avert your eyes.

Besides, the only accomplishment I'm aware of is you becoming very irked by me. I'm sure that deserves a golf clap at least. By the way, exactly how do you compare a known to an unknown?

Were you, or have you ever been, and English teacher?
First of all, "alright" is considered substandard. The correct way to write this is "all right."
y duz it matter how grammatically correct i am as long as u can understand my message? n da last time i chekd i thot 1 of da gr8 realizshuns wuz tat all life was special bcuz it wuz alive.
Surviving is a decent enough accomplishment? Compared to what? Not surviving? That sets you apart from which living organisms ...? "I'm special because I'm alive."
Also, I'd like to point out that the next time there is another issue to be voted on about human euthanasia and <insert your choice of dying group here>, I would request that you give pause before you choose. I'm sure you'll be able to hear the advocacy groups protests from your booth, and I am curious to know if those words will still be said with a sneer.
Incomplete information? You're the one who decided what and how much about yourself to write. I didn't make you sound like an asshole - you did that all by yourself.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GASP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
So, let me get this straight. It's all my fault for your short-sightedness? I somehow magically made you ASSume that you knew exactly my agenda, who I am, or at least what kind of person I am? I told you that this is all of me, so transparent my middle name is Seethrough and conveniently packaged in this one forum post? Are you seriously justifying yourself with that?! Really?!
And of what did I accuse you? Precisely?
Memory problems are common amongst those reaching their golden years, or chronic pot smokers. C.R.S is nothing to be concerned about, I think.
Yeah, but I bet you do it all the time. Like right now. Or you wouldn't have brought it up.
you can't have learned about other societies in other times in school.
narcissistic
Somebody who thinks that getting by (i.e., "survival") is good enough would be too difficult to motivate
Now this quote is what I like to call a "side-mouth accusation". You accused me of being a sloth as I see it. My only suggestion to you brokebackhead, is to get off the computer and go outside, and break the binds of social retardation! Getting by is nowhere near the same thing as mere survival.

Don't worry, the magic picture box will be here when you get back.
It is what it is.size]
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Deathnote wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GASP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Need a drink of water there, pal?
I somehow magically made you ASSume that you knew exactly my agenda, who I am, or at least what kind of person I am?
Nothing magic about it. You wrote the words. I read them.
I told you that this is all of me, so transparent my middle name is Seethrough

What's your last name? Panties?
Memory problems are common amongst those reaching their golden years, or chronic pot smokers.
Could be. Neither applies to me. Wait - what was the question?

Accuse:verb: blame for, make a claim of wrongdoing or misbehavior against
Is it still an accusation when the claim is that the other person hasn't done something? Or in your case, anything? And BTW, it's what you said: you didn't work, didn't study, didn't challenge yourself... You put this in one of your first posts by way of an introduction, as if to say "I'm so fucking smart, I got good grades without breaking a sweat." Getting something for nothing is either called cheating, stealing, or extraordinary luck. None of which is anything to write home about.
Getting by is nowhere near the same thing as mere survival.
"Mere" survival? Isn't survival what you think you deserve a cookie for?
What about my signature do you find distasteful? Why should I to fix my signature? Is it broken?
It's missing a bracket, Einstein.
deathnotewithurname

Oh my frackin god. Can you possible be anymore retarded? Might want to make sure your helmet is strapped nice and tight and your house key is safety pinned to the lining of your jacket before you venture out of the house.

The ability to absorb information, but not the patience nor the desire, to seek more is a evolutionary flaw. Or, maybe you're just done learning. Could it be that your ONLY redeeming quality, is your ability to put on tights and transform into the verbal lord of the dance?

And one more time for the record and this is the last time I will address this; My signature is MINE. Unless you are fucking me, feeding me or financing me, YOU nor your OPINIONS of what is MINE don't mean shit. The fact that you keep larking over something so asinine could persuade me the you are one of those special individuals who can't pour piss out of a boot with directions on the heel.

But, whatever. Why is this thread still open? I keep pointing things out, you continue to not address them. You are apparently reveling in this, which is slightly disturbing. Hostel much?

On the subject of accomplishments; how do you decide what is an accomplishment and what is not? Are you the shining example that we all strive to imitate? I have done nothing, and when I die my life will not be remembered by the world. That is actually fine by me. Unlike you, I understand something essential about the world. Without this understanding, and don't misconstrue because I'm not saying I'm the only one who knows this, you will NEVER know what it feels like to truly SEE. You should try this sometime; Stop. Listen. Watch.
It is what it is.size]
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

The ability to absorb information, but not the patience nor the desire, to seek more is a evolutionary flaw.
Really? Aren't you the guy that just wrote this:

Could it be that your ONLY redeeming quality, is your ability to put on tights and transform into the verbal lord of the dance?
I happen to look good in tights.
The fact that you keep larking over something so asinine could persuade me the you are one of those special individuals who can't pour piss out of a boot with directions on the heel.
That's pretty funny! You make that one up?
I keep pointing things out, you continue to not address them.
And I keep pointing out you fucked up when making your signature. You're not even honest enough to admit it and fix it. Instead, all you can say is that it is yours. I know it's yours. The point is that you are pretending you made your signature that way on purpose when you clearly didn't. If you are going to lie about something like that, why should anyone take anything else you have to say seriously?
Hostel much?
The word you are trying to use is "hostile." Spell-check doesn't fix everything. I guess you slept through English class as well.
Are you the shining example that we all strive to imitate?
I never said I was. I said I have accomplished more than you.
I have done nothing,
Apparently, you agree.
Unlike you, I understand something essential about the world. Without this understanding, and don't misconstrue because I'm not saying I'm the only one who knows this, you will NEVER know what it feels like to truly SEE. You should try this sometime; Stop. Listen. Watch.
What a joke. You can't possibly think anyone would take a lesson on being observant from you. You didn't even notice your signature was fucked up.
deathnotewithurname

really? ok dude. believe what u want 2 believe. go fuck urself. obviously uve never heard of a cell phone logging onto a website u pretentious prick. yea i did make it like that on purpose. and i dont give a fuck if a misspelled hostile. oh shit. i think i just admitted to a fuck up. y the fuck wuld u concern urself with sumthing so retarded? wen were u appointed lord correct spelling on hi? but its alrite. sumone so concerned with the details wuld never b able 2 understand nething but themselves. btw english was my best subject...and this is a shitty published piece from my younger school days dipshit
By deathnotewithurname, High School Student
March, 2003

Welcome to the new <censored>. It’s not new just because it’s a new building; it’s new because it expresses the values that we at <censored> cherish the most. How can a building show values? One of the main ways is the building structure itself. Take a good look and the building will share its sense of community with anyone who welcomes it.

As we enter the front door and step into the atrium, the feeling of community is apparent. If you look closely at the waiting area in the atrium, you will notice that the floor is concrete around a large square of carpet with chairs all facing each other. This is one of the silent proclamations of community, with the cold, hard concrete being the outside. Adjacent to the atrium is the administrative office and the principal’s office, the center of the school building. This location takes Herb Childress’s suggestion of “making the principal’s office the heart of the school community, rather than a punitive outpost for the disobedient.” With such easy access, the students feel welcome to stop by and talk to the principal about anything from school issues to the goings on at home.

Moving onward through the atrium and into the school areas, notice a large room filled with tables and chairs. This is <censored>. This area is where community meetings and daily Pick-Me-Ups take place. This also functions as a <censored> and go over whatever assignments they are trying to work their way through. This area is open to students from both sides of the school and makes a great common place to learn new names of people who students don’t see during the majority of their day and to ultimately form new bonds.

Moving towards the end of the school building, are the <censored>, or learning team areas. These spaces are sectioned off by partial walls in a flower shape, opening up into a common area where students can work and exchange ideas freely. The high ceilings and open spaces help students feel more comfortable and not boxed in, promoting them to be more outgoing and friendly. In between some of the <censored> are <censored> where students who need silence can work in peace with other students like themselves without the distractions of the normal learning process, which is constantly in motion here at <censored>.

It’s plain to see how community is strongly encouraged through the school building itself here at <censored>. It’s especially important with <censored> having such a small student body compared to other schools. It was all designed to help the students feel included in something bigger than themselves, something they can add too and benefit from. Anonymity is not welcomed here. It’s all about community and how, if we work together, we can become greater than anyone thought possible.
It is what it is.size]
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

really? ok dude. believe what u want 2 believe. go fuck urself. obviously uve never heard of a cell phone logging onto a website u pretentious prick.
It's like listening to an angry spoiled teenager rant. Obviously no respect for your elders.
yea i did make it like that on purpose.
Keep saying that and you might start believing it yourself.
and i dont give a fuck if a misspelled hostile. oh shit. i think i just admitted to a fuck up. y the fuck wuld u concern urself with sumthing so retarded?
Because it really does seem to be retarded. That's the whole point. And you seem to use the word "fuck" a lot. The more you use it, the less impact it has. And it makes you sound foolish.
sumone so concerned with the details wuld never b able 2 understand nething but themselves.
This doesn't follow, of course. But there's nothing wrong with understanding oneself. You should start learning how to do that. Then you might be able to understand what is motivating you to keep lying about your signature. It's clear what happened. You typed the meaningless, overused phrase "It is what it is" in the space given for adding a signature. You think it conveys so much that you want to give it emphasis, so you highlight it and assign it a color. Not satisfied, you decide to make it bigger. You highlight it again, only this time you do it wrong. The result is what we see, only you are too lazy to fix it. Then you pretend you made it that way deliberately.

Dude, you're being silly. Why don't you just fix it?
btw english was my best subject
Then remind me never to hire you to be my accountant.
Welcome to the new <censored>. It’s not new just because it’s a new building; it’s new because it expresses the values that we at <censored> cherish the most. How can a building show values? One of the main ways is the building structure itself. Take a good look and the building will share its sense of community with anyone who welcomes it.

As we enter the front door and step into the atrium, the feeling of community is apparent. If you look closely at the waiting area in the atrium, you will notice that the floor is concrete around a large square of carpet with chairs all facing each other. This is one of the silent proclamations of community, with the cold, hard concrete being the outside. Adjacent to the atrium is the administrative office and the principal’s office, the center of the school building. This location takes Herb Childress’s suggestion of “making the principal’s office the heart of the school community, rather than a punitive outpost for the disobedient.” With such easy access, the students feel welcome to stop by and talk to the principal about anything from school issues to the goings on at home.

Moving onward through the atrium and into the school areas, notice a large room filled with tables and chairs. This is <censored>. This area is where community meetings and daily Pick-Me-Ups take place. This also functions as a <censored> and go over whatever assignments they are trying to work their way through. This area is open to students from both sides of the school and makes a great common place to learn new names of people who students don’t see during the majority of their day and to ultimately form new bonds.

Moving towards the end of the school building, are the <censored>, or learning team areas. These spaces are sectioned off by partial walls in a flower shape, opening up into a common area where students can work and exchange ideas freely. The high ceilings and open spaces help students feel more comfortable and not boxed in, promoting them to be more outgoing and friendly. In between some of the <censored> are <censored> where students who need silence can work in peace with other students like themselves without the distractions of the normal learning process, which is constantly in motion here at <censored>.

It’s plain to see how community is strongly encouraged through the school building itself here at <censored>. It’s especially important with <censored> having such a small student body compared to other schools. It was all designed to help the students feel included in something bigger than themselves, something they can add too and benefit from. Anonymity is not welcomed here. It’s all about community and how, if we work together, we can become greater than anyone thought possible.
And what was the purpose of including this little composition? Is it supposed to be impressive in some obscure way? If a day-care kid wrote it, that would be something. BTW, I found at least one error in it. Bet you can't find it. And if you do, you'll say you meant it that way. Or else edit it and pretend it was never there.

Not that I don't make mistakes. But I don't waste time and energy pretending that I don't, either.

I'm just trying to get you to be honest. You seem to have this notion that you are hot shit when you clearly are not. You will never become anything special if you keep lying to yourself and expecting others to take you seriously. I am going out of my way to treat you seriously. It's the best thing anyone could do for you.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Hint: the error is in this sentence:
It was all designed to help the students feel included in something bigger than themselves, something they can add too and benefit from.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

dele.

Last edited by Tomas on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't run to your death
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Shahrazad wrote:Hint: the error is in this sentence:
It was all designed to help the students feel included in something bigger than themselves, something they can add too and benefit from.
Show off.