Problems with GF

Post questions or suggestions here.
Nick

Problems with GF

Post by Nick »

For about the past week when I visit GF it's been extremely laggy and often times pages are timing out. I've visited the site from a few different computers and it's always the same with no signs of improvement. Any idea what the problem is?
Dan Rowden

Re: Problems with GF

Post by Dan Rowden »

Yeah, the new server sucks. You seem to have missed the discussion, Nick. Try a couple of threads down in this forum.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

The time-outs are a new problem. Before we were getting "Out of memory" errors, and now it is time-outs. I'm hoping our webhosts will get it together soon.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

In the meantime I've found rehitting links - other than when actually trying to post - when there's a load lag, helps.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Guess I better send another donation then eh? : )
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I think it's past that. I think Kev is locked into a contract with the new hosts so we basically have to hope they sort their servers out.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Seems like the board is back to normal now. Anything change?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

No idea, but it is certainly better than it's been, so something must have.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I think I may have spoken too soon.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

"Locked into a contract?" I'm not sure I understand that. Is he forbidden by law to purchase new hosting, or what? Or do you just mean he will lose money if he does so?
I live in a tub.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Yeah, I mean he'd lose his money. No idea what that amount would be so I can't really say if it'd be worth it or not. But getting 500 Internal Server errors doesn't make one brim with confidence.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Kevin, have you filed a formal complaint yet? If there is a contract, that obligates the provider as well as the customer - and the provider isn't providing sufficiently to fulfill their end of the contract. It is they who have already broken the contract, so now you need to stand up for your rights.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

They simply deny that anything is wrong at their end, and it is difficult to prove otherwise.

But it seems to be improving.

Anyway, the problem is too worldly for me to even think about more than I already have.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Remember that leak in my gutter right over the back sliding glass door that you mostly fixed? I told you about the argument my ex and I had about whether or not it was leaking, and how he stood there as a waterfall was going through the gutter right over the door, insisting that it was not leaking? I told you about his solution to win the argument was that he hired someone (with my money, since it was my house, and he had things that he wanted to do with his entire paychecks) to argree with him that the gutter was not leaking. There were 2 men standing there, insisting there was no leak as water was dripping through the joint in the gutter. The guy he hired could barely keep the smirk off his face as each new drop dripped through. Yet, I was not able to prove sufficiently to those men that the gutter was leaking. I did, however, cut off my ex's access to spend the money that I earned after that. He was making more money than I was and had almost no practical living expenses (because I was paying most of those and who-knows-what he was doing with his), so it wasn't like I was putting him in a hardship situation.

I at least started taking steps to protect myself.

I am also reminded of the time I went to a lawyer to complain that my previous boss owed me a substantial amount of back-pay, and was leaving harassing messages on my answering machine because I quit. The lawyer claimed he could not really do anything about it, and charged me a substantial fee for the following advice:
Well, little lady, if you allow someone to take advantage of you, little lady, there's nothing illegal about that.
Yeah.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Of course, if you don't feel like putting any more time into it, since Dan's an admin, perhaps he could fight this one for you. He doesn't seem to mind getting scrappy from time to time.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

This is an issue with Kev's theabsolute.net domain hosts and their servers. I have no power or influences or rights over that. But it does seem like the probelsm are spasmodic so we may have to lump the occasional bout of misbehavior. Personally I think most domain hosts oversell their servers. We have occasional download issues with geniusrealms.com for what I would think is the same reason. That's business I guess - milk the market the best you can even at the expense of some measure of quality of service. That's speculation in this instance, of course, but I know it does happen.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Dan Rowden wrote:I have no power or influences or rights over that.
Not automatically, but if this goes back to being as bad of a problem as it was a few weeks ago, Kevin could give you authority to speak on his behalf while he uses his time for whatever it is that he feels this is "too worldly" of an issue to spend more of his time on.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

I'd suggest that we give it one more month. It seems like a complicated problem, not laziness. If the webhost resolves it, and they probably don't want to lose business by not resolving it, then they'll eventually a better webhost than many. Say in a month if it doesn't seem to be resolved, then whoever wishes to can chip-in with a new webhost (with the contract stuff that allows for pro rata refund etc.). Fair ?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Kelly Jones wrote:(with the contract stuff that allows for pro rata refund etc.). Fair ?
Fair.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Is it wicked not to care when they say that youre mistaken
Thinking hopes and lots of dreams that arent there?
Is it wicked not to care when youve wasted many hours
Talking endlessly to anyone thats there?

I know the truth awaits me
But still I hesitate because of fear

Skipping tickets making rhymes
Is that all that you believe in?
Wearing rags to make you pretty by design
Rusting armour for effect
Its not fun to watch the rust grow
For it will all be over when youre dead

Counting acts and clutching thoughts
By the river where the moss grows
Over rocks the water running all the time
Is it wicked when you smile even though you feel like crying
Even though you could be sick at any time?

-- Belle and Sebastian
Jason

Post by Jason »

I'm getting intermittent slow loading, corrupted pages and the odd timeout.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I haven't experienced anything like that so far. What do you mean by "corrupt pages", exactly?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Dan Rowden wrote:I haven't experienced anything like that so far. What do you mean by "corrupt pages", exactly?

It seems to be ok now, but the corrupted pages were showing bare text on a plain white background, with larger fonts than usual, and without the normal page formatting, tables, graphical elements etc.
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

That sounds like the CSS file didn't load. Clearing browser cache and/or refreshing the page typically fixes that.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Apparently there is a problem with one of the Internet backbones. At least, that's what I'm being told. When that's fixed it should return to normal.