Error message when posting

Post questions or suggestions here.
Jason

Re: Error message when posting

Post by Jason »

Kevin Solway wrote:Any ideas?
What's the problem? I'm no expert on web stuff, but if it's resources how 'bout you block search engines with robots.txt, find out which board theme is least bandwidth intensive and stick to that, disable avatars.
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

Kevin Solway wrote:1. We've paid for a long-term contract, in advance.
Can you upgrade the plan to get more RAM?
Kevin Solway wrote:3. It's a big job to move to another webhost, and the forum database might not survive the move.
The survival of the database shouldn't be an issue. With shell access on both machines, backing up a database and loading it on another machine is trivial.
Kevin Solway wrote:5. We could go for a dedicated server, but that is a lot more expensive than the shared hosting we currently have, and is also not guaranteed to be free of its share of problems.
You could get a Virtual Private Server. It may not work right off but you'll have full control over MySQL to tweak the configuration.
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

Jason wrote:What's the problem? I'm no expert on web stuff, but if it's resources how 'bout you block search engines with robots.txt, find out which board theme is least bandwidth intensive and stick to that, disable avatars.
Bandwidth's not the problem. Sending the theme and avatar files doesn't take much system memory.

Hiding the site from the search engines would ease the load on the server a bit, but it's probably not worth it.
Laird

Post by Laird »

Dan Rowden wrote:I've done a bit of research into dedicated servers in the past and though by no means exhaustive I found that are [appear to be] outside our financial abilities.
Yes, Kev seems to be of the same opinion. I haven't researched it at all but I'll take you at your word.
Dan Rowden wrote:They have trucks in Queenstown?
Several many of them pass by within no less than twenty metres of our houses. Not super-regularly, but noticeably so.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Laird wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:They have trucks in Queenstown?
Several many of them pass by within no less than twenty metres of our houses. Not super-regularly, but noticeably so.
That you bothered to take Dan's question seriously re-makes Dan's point.
Laird

Post by Laird »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:That you bothered to take Dan's question seriously re-makes Dan's point.
I didn't realise that he was making a point, I thought that he was just being light-heartedly chatty, so I responded chattily in kind. Pray tell, what did I miss?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I was making a Tassie backwater Luddite/Amish sort of joke.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Laird wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:I've done a bit of research into dedicated servers in the past and though by no means exhaustive I found that are [appear to be] outside our financial abilities.
Yes, Kev seems to be of the same opinion. I haven't researched it at all but I'll take you at your word.
Well, for example, the company hosting theabsolute.net has hosting packages from $7.95 a month. Dedicated servers start from $129 a month. That's a big difference.
Laird

Post by Laird »

Ah, yeah I knew that it was light-hearted but I didn't quite pick up on the actual joke.

And yes, those dedicated server prices are inappropriately high.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I got these errors, nothing that a browser refresh hasn't easily solved yet though:

--

500 Internal Server Error
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

--

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Duplicate entry '190-11' for key 1 [1062]
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

Dan Rowden wrote:Well, for example, the company hosting theabsolute.net has hosting packages from $7.95 a month. Dedicated servers start from $129 a month. That's a big difference.
Fully managed Linux Virtual Private Servers start at $20/month. Kevin may not like Linux but it's much cheaper for VPS hosting.
Elizabeth Isabelle

The other day I was getting
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Host 'boscgi0104.eigbox.net' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server [1130]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
and today I keep getting
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.
only on this site.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Hi, Dan

I just got this error. I think I was switching from one thread to another:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

After opeing a post in Wordly Matters, and pressing the Back key, I alway have to refresh - been this way for ages. Weird thing is that it does not occur in the Genius Forum. Haven't tested this forum.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Jamesh wrote:After opeing a post in Wordly Matters, and pressing the Back key, I alway have to refresh - been this way for ages. Weird thing is that it does not occur in the Genius Forum. Haven't tested this forum.
I'm on Firefox, and that does not happen to me. What browser are you using?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Just IE. I just checked if this occured on my work PC and it does not, so must be something to do with my setup at home.

[why give info to hackers]
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

GF was down all day for me.
I live in a tub.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Me too; it's only just come online.
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

Did you catch the culprits who hacked you? Line 'em up for the firing squad, mate ;).
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

The problems have been due to our webhost again.

Moving to another webhost is not a trivial matter because different webhosts use different versions of PHP and MYSql, and it can be a big pain trying to get the forum working again on a new webhost, and converting the forum database to the new version of MySQL.

What is worse, the problems our current webhost is having are so bad that I am unable to backup the forum database at all.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

And yes, those dedicated server prices are inappropriately high.
I dunno. I see them as understandable, given that you're basically renting an entire physical machine. Servers ain't cheap. Better ones can cost several thousand dollars.
I live in a tub.
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

Kevin Solway wrote:What is worse, the problems our current webhost is having are so bad that I am unable to backup the forum database at all.
`mysqldump' doesn't work?
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

`mysqldump' doesn't work?
If not, try some Milk of Magnesia. mysqldump wouldn't work either until I drank about half a bottle. Then, sweet relief.
I live in a tub.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

brad walker wrote:'mysqldump' doesn't work?
I don't have command-line access, but even if I did, the database is so large that the process would time-out before it finished the task (on the shared server that we're currently on).