Donation button

Post questions or suggestions here.
Kevin Solway

Donation button

Post by Kevin Solway »

There's now a donation button at the bottom, so if you have any spare cash you can send it our way!
maestro

Re: Donation button

Post by maestro »

To what end?
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Mainly so we can keep our computers up to date.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I'm not sure I agree with this exercise. But if it is going to happen, I just want to say that no one should feel obligated to make donations. If no one sends any money, ever, I would be perfectly happy with that. Other than maintaining my computer, I don't have any use for extra money. Kevin and Dan might have other ideas, I don't know. If you do want to send money, then make sure it is truly because you value what we do and not because you feel obliged to do it, or because you feel guilty over not doing so.

-
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

If the button only brings in one or two small donations I'll remove the button, as in that case it wouldn't be worth having it there.

Another possibility is to make it smaller and less obvious, so that it's not in your face, but can be found if someone wants to find it.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

My two cents: I'm pretty comfortable with the idea. If people felt inclined to contribute it might offset the costs of domains for the Reasoning Show and potentially Poison. I think it almost goes without saying that if anyone feels something resembling an obligation to donate that they should automatically thereby not do so. I don't think of this as being any different to the Community Chest at Ezboard.

Of course, every dollar donated will earn one enlightenment point. Every 100 points earns a Bodhi Badge and 1000 a full size laminated Bodhisattva Certificate complete with authentication stamp.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Hmm, interesting, one now gets a "Donate" reminder every time one posts.
Good Citizen Carl
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

The button should now only appear on the main index page.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Kevin Solway wrote:If the button only brings in one or two small donations I'll remove the button, as in that case it wouldn't be worth having it there.
How much do you need to raise for now?
---------
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

I don't think we're desperate for money at the moment, but whatever we receive can be put to good use - if not right now then in the near future.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Kevin Solway wrote:I don't think we're desperate for money at the moment, but whatever we receive can be put to good use - if not right now then in the near future.
Not good enough I’m afraid.

Could you please be a bit more precise and define ‘small’ donations. A thousand dollar could be "small" for me. What would it take to remove the button for example? People might be willing to support the site but not the individuals running it.

You could for example collect a million ten dollars and may not be held accountable for its disbursements. Is Genius Forum a registered or an incorporated entity that fulfils the criteria’s of collecting donations? If not, then a ‘donate’ button on an open public site points to a fraudulent intent, in the public eye.

No disrespect intended, but how utterly stupid can the wise be? No wonder they have no intellect as to how to make the best of both the worlds. May be going for either extremes makes one utterly miss the train that needs both the tracks to run on.
---------
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Sapius wrote:What would it take to remove the button for example?
Less than $60, more than $3000, or if I change my mind about it for some other reason.
a ‘donate’ button on an open public site points to a fraudulent intent, in the public eye.
A donation is simply a gift that you give to a worthwhile cause. If you are unconvinced that the cause is worthwhile then you don't give a gift. It's not complicated.

Just because an organization is registered somewhere, or has a certain number of supporters, doesn't mean for a moment that their cause is worthwhile.

I don't particularly care what the public thinks.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Kevin Solway wrote:Less than $60, more than $3000, or if I change my mind about it for some other reason.
Ah! Well then, suit yourself.
A donation simply a gift that you give to a worthwhile cause. If you are unconvinced that the cause is worthwhile then you don't give a gift. It's not complicated.
Yeah, that’s quite simple; but if only the worthwhile cause could speak and collect the $$$ for its self.

All the best :)
---------
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

If you just wanted to help pay for the forum itself, then you might send a small donation of ten or twenty dollars once in a blue moon. If we receive quite a number of these it will help to pay for the server and bandwidth costs. But if you wanted to support Dave, Dan and myself more generally in what we are seeking to accomplish, and to keep us in relatively up-to-date working computers, then you might choose to send a lot more. I think this goes without saying.

But if it's a major decision whether to send $10, for fear that it will be misused, then you definitely shouldn't send anything at all. David and Dan covered this possibility earlier in the thread.

I think such questions as yours are the main reason that Dave wasn't keen on having any kind of avenue for financial contribution.

It's a bit like the difference between completely owning your own company, as against listing it on the stock exchange where every shareholder wants to have a say in what happens.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Humm...
Kevin Solway wrote:If you just wanted to help pay for the forum itself, then you might send a small donation of ten or twenty dollars once in a blue moon. If we receive quite a number of these it will help to pay for the server and bandwidth costs.
That’s a bit more reasonable response, which I expected earlier.
But if you wanted to support Dave, Dan and myself more generally in what we are seeking to accomplish, and to keep us in relatively up-to-date working computers, then you might choose to send a lot more. I think this goes without saying.
Not really, I don’t like the idea of supporting what might turn out to be another Osho type Ashram.
But if it's a major decision whether to send $10, for fear that it will be misused, then you definitely shouldn't send anything at all. David and Dan covered this possibility earlier in the thread.
Did you consult Dan before you went ahead with this idea? He knows how much I “fear” misuse of my money. We could contribute anonymously at EZ board, and I hope he remembers my offer when the site moved.
I think such questions as yours are the main reason that Dave wasn't keen on having any kind of avenue for financial contribution.
You should have taken his advice; I am simply acting as a tool to show you the same, before you loose all credibility.
It's a bit like the difference between completely owning your own company, as against listing it on the stock exchange where every shareholder wants to have a say in what happens.
No, it is nothing like that. May be you are not aware of the contributions received at EZ board, and I don’t remember anyone acting like you assume. Well generally you do assume much, before giving it much thought, so I can’t blame you.

BTW, charitable organizations do not have shareholders as such nor are the shares traded, and those who run it have the right to draw a handsome salary, which should not exceed a certain percentage of collection according to the preset limit in the memorandum of incorporation, but they must show proof of disbursements to an independent government approved auditor.
---------
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Sapius wrote:I don’t like the idea of supporting what might turn out to be another Osho type Ashram.
In that case you shouldn't be supporting the forum either, since we might be using the forum to win converts.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Sapius wrote:Humm...
Kevin Solway wrote:If you just wanted to help pay for the forum itself, then you might send a small donation of ten or twenty dollars once in a blue moon. If we receive quite a number of these it will help to pay for the server and bandwidth costs.
That’s a bit more reasonable response, which I expected earlier.
Sap, I don't get your tone in these posts but you seem not to be paying attention. You obviously didn't read my own contribution.
But if you wanted to support Dave, Dan and myself more generally in what we are seeking to accomplish, and to keep us in relatively up-to-date working computers, then you might choose to send a lot more. I think this goes without saying.
Not really, I don’t like the idea of supporting what might turn out to be another Osho type Ashram.
I already own a Mercedes and my own legal brothel. All I need is the girls; maybe you could help with that?
Did you consult Dan before you went ahead with this idea?
Hahaha, Kevin consult me before such things? Hahahaha. Anyway, I'd already stated that I think it's a reasonable idea so he didn't need to.
He knows how much I “fear” misuse of my money. We could contribute anonymously at EZ board, and I hope he remembers my offer when the site moved.
Those who have such a fear ought not consider donating, full stop.
You should have taken his advice; I am simply acting as a tool to show you the same, before you loose all credibility.
I don't recall David having had a significant problem with the Community Chest donation scheme at EZboard. To me this is no different. A change of circumstance for any of us could potentially mean the cessation of any of these projects. Those who see worth in them may choose to contribute to offset the chances of that occurring. It's entirely about our web presence and the projects therein. I don't see any real reason for people to care about anything else, frankly.
No, it is nothing like that. May be you are not aware of the contributions received at EZ board, and I don’t remember anyone acting like you assume. Well generally you do assume much, before giving it much thought, so I can’t blame you.
I see the donation thing as the equivalent of the Community Chest concept at Ezboard,as I have already said. If you had no problem with that I see no reason to have a problem with this.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Dan Rowden wrote:I see the donation thing as the equivalent of the Community Chest concept at Ezboard,as I have already said. If you had no problem with that I see no reason to have a problem with this.
I think the Community Chest on the Ezboard forums could only be used to pay for the forum itself, so that way the contributor could dictate exactly how the money was to be spent.

However, the money we saved from that we could spend on anything at all, so it only gave a false consolation to the contributor. :-)
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Dan Rowden wrote:Sap, I don't get your tone in these posts but you seem not to be paying attention. You obviously didn't read my own contribution.
My apologies, I did not really, but I think you misinterpret my tone. Just as the rest of your post contains things that you don’t really mean, irrelevant of the “tone”. It is the finger pointing to the moon thing.
I see the donation thing as the equivalent of the Community Chest concept at Ezboard,as I have already said. If you had no problem with that I see no reason to have a problem with this.
I don't really
Kevin Solway wrote:However, the money we saved from that we could spend on anything at all, so it only gave a false consolation to the contributor. :-)
No Kidding! I’m terrified!
---------
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Kevin,
However, the money we saved from that we could spend on anything at all, so it only gave a false consolation to the contributor. :-)
This assumes you had the money to pay for the web service, or that at least you had the means to acquire it if it wasn't donated.

The contributor may be satisfied that the $20 he sent can keep QRS from having to work one hour in a commercial setting, being able to spend that energy thinking or online. Of course, drinking also, but that's his call.

Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Some of the brouhaha on this thread is probably a response to Kevin's vague, and extremely naive introductory remark:
There's now a donation button at the bottom, so if you have any spare cash you can send it our way!
Gaw! He sounds like a little kid hoping to score some candy and comic book money.

A more professional, specific statement might have helped.
Good Citizen Carl
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Dan Rowden wrote:My two cents: I'm pretty comfortable with the idea. If people felt inclined to contribute it might offset the costs of domains for the Reasoning Show and potentially Poison. ... I don't think of this as being any different to the Community Chest at Ezboard. ...

I've been reading Genius Forum for several years, first on Ezbored and now on the web, and I see no problem contributing to maintaining the opportunity. I'll be sending on something shortly and money being what money is, how my personal contribution is used after the electronic transfer and the currency exchange doesn't matter since that it is extra is what is important. If it buys someone a beer - cheers - then some other money will be used for computer upkeep or bandwidth purchase. The management have made it clear these contributions are voluntary, they are not overwhelming the members with calls to contribute, the button is tastefully and unobtrusively located at the bottom of the page, and in all of this they have behaved ethically.

Things arise and they pass away, and that includes computers.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Were you always known as RobertGreenSky in those past eras, or were you known by some other name?

-
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

I've posted most frequently as 'Robert Larkin'. I have some familiarity with your views as well as those of Kevin and Dan and I'm long familiar with some of the other people who write here, including vicdan, Unidian, Philosophaster, and others.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Ah yes, the great debate. I must say you're sounding pretty civil, given our history together.

Would you mind if we decided to use donated money to generate publicity for Otto Weininger's work?

-