Intelligence and the desire to reproduce.

Post questions or suggestions here.
Shahrazad

Re: Intelligence and the desire to reproduce.

Post by Shahrazad »

Diebert said,
This needs more explaining about how your 'passion sets the goals'.
Emotions set the goals because without them, you have no preference, absolutely no reason to do anything at all. You wouldn't even get out of bed all day.
For example if we'd define emotion as "a psychological state that arises spontaneously" (The American Heritage® Science Dictionary) and compare this with David's "kind of spontaneously, lively, passionless behaviour that the enlightened sage engages in", we could conclude that David's sage is quite emotional.
Exactly.
So then it's up to you Victor, to come with a fundamental analysis of Buddhist thought and how it fails in your eyes.
Oh, so that's what it's going to take to convince David and Dan that emotions are not opposed to reason. Thanks for telling us, I will keep that in mind.

-
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:"a psychological state that arises spontaneously" (The American Heritage® Science Dictionary)
I never cease to be amazed at what can be found in dictionaries.

By this definition, even when I'm being completely unemotional, I'm being emotional!

Do you get the feeling that someone is trying to stamp out all opposing philosophies by controlling the dictionaries? Then if you don't use the dictionary definition, which they themselves have written, they'll rubbish you and make your name mud.

Imagine if 99% of the world's population were fundamentalist Christians. The dictionary entry for "truth" might read:

Truth: that which is written in the Bible.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Neil,
Without values what is reason good for?

"I don't want to get killed. War is likely to get me killed. Therefore I shall not go to war!"

Value of staying alive.

If you have no values it would be irrational to do anything at all.
You can have values without passion. For instance: I value a planet that isn’t overpopulated, as it is in many areas, so I could use reason to think up possible solutions to that problem – However, solutions that are not rooted in passion, but reason. For instance: A passionate mind controlled by emotion might irrationally call for violence or war to lower population levels, whereas a rational person might suggest more widely available forms of birth control, or a one child policy, or high taxes for those with larger families.

The war example is a bad one because war is almost always fought for stupid reasons derived from passionate minds. IE: competition over natural resources, divided religious sects, divided races and ethnic groups, divided tribes and so on. It is almost always people with no wisdom that fight wars. Or as with the threat of terrorism, governments control the population using fear tactics to convince them that there is more of a threat than there actually is, as a means to launch a military campaign to serve another agendas.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:This needs more explaining about how your 'passion sets the goals'. The way I interpret this is that you are mixing together different definitions of emotion and passion that are available.
i treat them as roughly synonymous. passions are emotions in their stronger form. I do this because, as long as we embrace emotion, we might as well embrace them fully, and experience passions rather than just the weak, anemic sorts of emotions.
For example if we'd define emotion as "a psychological state that arises spontaneously" (The American Heritage® Science Dictionary) and compare this with David's "kind of spontaneously, lively, passionless behaviour that the enlightened sage engages in", we could conclude that David's sage is quite emotional.
You know that's silly. How about, rather than trying to come up with an un-contestable explicit definition (since any explicit definition will be contested), we instead define them by examples of emotions that we all recognize as such: desire, affection, hate, anxiety, joy, curiosity, etc.

Emotions generally set our goals. David for example wants to share his 'ultimate wisdom' with everyone, marvels at this ultimate reality, wants to survive, etc. Reason certainly cannot do it by itself, because, as i had mentioned earlier, logic is GIGO. it needs inputs to produce outputs. Even simply surviving is driven by emotions -- desire to live and fear of death.
Now I suppose you aren't a Buddhist of any kind
Indeed. In fact, in my opinion, buddhism is almost as pernicious as xianity.
but why suggesting someone might possess a dysfunctional human physiology or mental defect while they're not saying anything different in that regard as the core texts of a world religion?
in the same way I could suggest the same about, say, xianity or islam. Are you seriously contenting that those religions define healthy, complete, fully functional human beings, if taken at face value?
If it's a defect, at least it's quite a common and appreciated one.
Indeed. As is faith.
So then it's up to you Victor, to come with a fundamental analysis of Buddhist thought and how it fails in your eyes.
That sounds suspiciously like the xian apologia based on how there are so many xians out there, so it's up to critics to prove xianity wrong.

I don't care to do your apologia for you. Give me specific arguments, and i will deal with them.
Forethought Venus Wednesday
maestro

Post by maestro »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: And furthermore if we'd define passion as pure desire, strong attachment and intense emotion, then it doesn't make sense to criticize David in particular for his use of the word "passionless" because it's absolutely in line with the core of Buddha's teachings like ""To be free from the passions and to be calm, this is the most excellent Way."
My two cents here.
Consider what the teachings of Buddha did to the place now known as India. Populations grown upon the ideals of passionlessness, and egolessness and transience of the world succumbed to the European who came with passion for his country and intense desire for wealth.

Contrary to the popular picture of science as a selfless pursuit for truth, in reality it is driven more by intellectual ego and pride and desire for fame and worldly appreciation. The top notch scientists would not stand a chance without these intense desires goading him on to put so much energies in a narrow field. Here again the west excels with its ardor, zeal and competition.

Clearly the Buddha would find the west to be insane, but this insanity gives power.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Shahrazad wrote:Emotions set the goals because without them, you have no preference, absolutely no reason to do anything at all. You wouldn't even get out of bed all day.-
The Sun shines without emotion. The Earth spins, without emotion. Trees and plants grow without emotion. So what makes you think a sage would no longer speak the highest wisdom, without emotion?

I experience emotion all the time, but only sometimes do they serve as a motivation for anything I do. For the most part I recognize them, I feel them, and that is that. There are times when I might use an emotion to help carry me along, but even though I do this consciously, I am at that point surrendering part of myself to that particular emotion. It is a dangerous game and it is something I am going to have to move past if I want to achieve true buddhahood. I also want to make clear that I make a distinction between feeling an emotion, and becoming emotional. Feeling emotion is something I do on a regular basis, although I feel them less and less as I make spiritual progress, but only when they are able to sweep me up and serve as a catalyst for whatever activity I am engaged in do I actually become emotional. But even feeling emotion without becoming emotional is a sign that one is still delusional. It indicates that the ego still has its roots firmly planted, and one has yet to make his intellectual understanding of Reality a permanent part of his being.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Nick Treklis wrote:
The Sun shines without emotion. The Earth spins, without emotion. Trees and plants grow without emotion.

Nick, you're a poet! None of this is established as fact, but I appreciate the sentiment.
So what makes you think a sage would no longer speak the highest wisdom, without emotion?
This doesn't necessarily follow, even if the sun, earth, and plants are without emotion. But again, very poetic. I can tell you are a sensitive fellow. A little emotional, but a good guy.
I experience emotion all the time, but only sometimes do they serve as a motivation for anything I do. For the most part I recognize them, I feel them, and that is that.
And they inform your writing. You write from your emotions while thinking you are doing otherwise.
There are times when I might use an emotion to help carry me along, but even though I do this consciously, I am at that point surrendering part of myself to that particular emotion. It is a dangerous game and it is something I am going to have to move past if I want to achieve true buddhahood. I also want to make clear that I make a distinction between feeling an emotion, and becoming emotional.
I bet you are emotional while reading this.
Feeling emotion is something I do on a regular basis, although I feel them less and less as I make spiritual progress, but only when they are able to sweep me up and serve as a catalyst for whatever activity I am engaged in do I actually become emotional. But even feeling emotion without becoming emotional is a sign that one is still delusional. It indicates that the ego still has its roots firmly planted, and one has yet to make his intellectual understanding of Reality a permanent part of his being.
I feel your pain.
Good Citizen Carl
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

maestro wrote:Contrary to the popular picture of science as a selfless pursuit for truth, in reality it is driven more by intellectual ego and pride and desire for fame and worldly appreciation. The top notch scientists would not stand a chance without these intense desires goading him on to put so much energies in a narrow field. Here again the west excels with its ardor, zeal and competition.
You know, this is an excellent point which I hadn't thought of before (a rarity, so many thanks to you). You are absolutely right -- science succeeds because it is reason propelled by passion, passion framed by reason. Science is a good example of the synergy of reason and passion I spoke of.

One has the emotional imperatives, but by those emotions being joined with reason, one becomes better able to pursue those imperatives. This is a key difference between, say, a scientist and an alchemist -- alchemy was still grounded in faith and used reason only in the most superficial way. Science embraces reason fully, it's an intrinsic part of the scientific process as a social institution, and the result is the explosion of knowledge and power we have seen in the last couple of centuries. The fusion of passion and reason is what does it.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

vicdan wrote:i treat them as roughly synonymous. passions are emotions in their stronger form. I do this because, as long as we embrace emotion, we might as well embrace them fully, and experience passions rather than just the weak, anemic sorts of emotions.
Why would embracing them fully be an advantage to you? It's like saying that you better get really drunk than just a bit effectuated. That it might help to make someone more conscious to oneself or at least others around you isn't really an argument, only in therapeutic sense. In other words: it must lead to some improvement. Which improvement? Clearer goals, less bottled up nastiness?
How about, rather than trying to come up with an un-contestable explicit definition (since any explicit definition will be contested), we instead define them by examples of emotions that we all recognize as such: desire, affection, hate, anxiety, joy, curiosity, etc.
All I was saying is that you're unclear in the way you use it. Desire is not in the same category as joy or hate. Only for those with a really really dim understanding of these things. I like you to be more precise when claiming this or that.
Emotions generally set our goals. David for example wants to share his 'ultimate wisdom' with everyone, marvels at this ultimate reality, wants to survive, etc. Reason certainly cannot do it by itself, because, as i had mentioned earlier, logic is GIGO. it needs inputs to produce outputs. Even simply surviving is driven by emotions -- desire to live and fear of death.
One can just as easily say that emotions refer to basic reflexes and drives that are inherent to the human existence. Like the 'selfish gene' is not really selfish - it's the behavior that's build in that makes us point and compare it with a term like 'selfishness'. It's the same on a more macroscopic level, we are complex survival machines with multiple purposes and what we call emotions could be seen as dim reflections of deeper processes. For example, we can feel hungry and receive impulses to change that situation. But it doesn't have to lead to anxiety, anger, grouchiness, etc. That last step is more likely to be born out of ignorance, insensitivity, passivity, powerlessness, etc.
Are you seriously contenting that those religions define healthy, complete, fully functional human beings, if taken at face value?
At face value there doesn't seem to be much difference of quality between the definitions of those religions and the non-religious counterparts. Looking at it deeper, I think religions have a slightly more sane and wiser view, underneath all the imagery and beliefs. But that's likely caused by the wisdom traditions which bootstrapped all of them.

Of course I don't share your extremely limited understanding, knowledge and view on religions at all. They deal with existential questions on a way more fundamental level than the modern man is willing to deal with. He even thinks he can get away by ignoring the questions, by declaring them irrelevant while all the time still feeding on left-over morals and ethics that are in decay just as the religions that contained them are in decay. It's a basically dishonest position and only rectified by engaging in philosophy while walking on your own two feet. Existential and experimental.
I don't care to do your apologia for you. Give me specific arguments, and i will deal with them.
Fair enough. But for a discussion to have some depth and relevance you'd better know where someone is coming from. The Buddhists have already a few centuries thought, written and debated about the role of desire, passion and emotions by experimental and existential research. It can be useful to at least be familiar with the base ideas before taking your aim.

Then again, you are someone who likes to claim a lot of things about subjects you only know little about, even it that's more than most and expect other people to take the trouble proving you wrong. It doesn't work that way Victor, most people will just yell at you, ignore you or talk over your head and you'd feel misplaced vindication.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Carl G wrote:
So what makes you think a sage would no longer speak the highest wisdom, without emotion?
This doesn't necessarily follow, even if the sun, earth, and plants are without emotion.
Well if we are to define one as a sage, then yes it would necessarily follow.
Carl G wrote:
I experience emotion all the time, but only sometimes do they serve as a motivation for anything I do. For the most part I recognize them, I feel them, and that is that.
And they inform your writing.
This makes no sense. It is not the role of emotion to inform.
Carl G wrote:You write from your emotions while thinking you are doing otherwise.
Let me guess, your emotions "informed" you of this right?
Carl G wrote:
There are times when I might use an emotion to help carry me along, but even though I do this consciously, I am at that point surrendering part of myself to that particular emotion. It is a dangerous game and it is something I am going to have to move past if I want to achieve true buddhahood. I also want to make clear that I make a distinction between feeling an emotion, and becoming emotional.
Did your emotions "inform" you of this too?
Diebert van Rhijn

maestro wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: And furthermore if we'd define passion as pure desire, strong attachment and intense emotion, then it doesn't make sense to criticize David in particular for his use of the word "passionless" because it's absolutely in line with the core of Buddha's teachings like ""To be free from the passions and to be calm, this is the most excellent Way."
My two cents here.
Consider what the teachings of Buddha did to the place now known as India. Populations grown upon the ideals of passionlessness, and egolessness and transience of the world succumbed to the European who came with passion for his country and intense desire for wealth.
I wasn't promoting Buddhism as religious or political system. We could just as well start praising the fruits of ancient India, the heights of Muslim medieval science and philosophy or the experimentation and scholarship of Christian monks in the face of mainstream barbarity. The point is that all systems have gone into decay at some point, the curse of conservatism and traditionalism. The Western civilization (as in modernity) is a fool to think they are anything different.
Contrary to the popular picture of science as a selfless pursuit for truth, in reality it is driven more by intellectual ego and pride and desire for fame and worldly appreciation. The top notch scientists would not stand a chance without these intense desires goading him on to put so much energies in a narrow field. Here again the west excels with its ardor, zeal and competition.
When cavemen were according to popular stereotype bashing each other heads while mastering fire and other material craftsmanship it doesn't make a case for head bashing to do ground breaking research of experimentation. With great minds comes often a great ego attached but work gets done despite this. It's an artifact, a parasite - only useful in the initial phases perhaps.

The excelling of the West in terms of technology and sciences have very clear causes that are rooted in history and not unique to them. To just guess it's caused by ego, pride and desire is a long shot. Less individualistic societies like China and Japan do just as fine in the technology and research department. Do you really think they are all 'westernized' and now run around with enlarged individualistic notions and egos? It's just not how it works. Scientist may have egos but seem to be way less affected by them compared to pseudo-scientists, journalists, artists and so on.
Clearly the Buddha would find the west to be insane, but this insanity gives power.
With greater power comes greater insanity. But doesn't this only make the case to start studying this insanity and find ways to sublimate it or modify it at the very core? Some powers are just too great to allow for the irrational wielding it.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Nick Treklis wrote:
Carl G wrote:
This doesn't necessarily follow, even if the sun, earth, and plants are without emotion.
Well if we are to define one as a sage, then yes it would necessarily follow.
If we are to define one what as a sage?
Carl G wrote:
And they inform your writing.
This makes no sense. It is not the role of emotion to inform.
Okay, drive. Emotions drive your writing. Do you dispute this? I showed you examples, your poetry.
Carl G wrote:
You write from your emotions while thinking you are doing otherwise.
Let me guess, your emotions "informed" you of this right?
No, your poetry informed me.
Carl G wrote:
There, an emotional response. Proof. I was correct.
Good Citizen Carl
maestro

Post by maestro »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: With greater power comes greater insanity. But doesn't this only make the case to start studying this insanity and find ways to sublimate it or modify it at the very core? Some powers are just too great to allow for the irrational wielding it.
There is a great contradiction, the insane wield the power, and they would not desire to root out the insanity.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:The excelling of the West in terms of technology and sciences have very clear causes that are rooted in history and not unique to them. To just guess it's caused by ego, pride and desire is a long shot. Less individualistic societies like China and Japan do just as fine in the technology and research department. Do you really think they are all 'westernized' and now run around with enlarged individualistic notions and egos?
I was talking about the research scientists. In general, about all of them suffer from an insufferable pride in their intellect. They pursue research with zeal to prove to the world that their intellect is supreme, and not due to wonder or curiosity. If it was simple curiosity driving the sciences technology could not have advanced at such a breathless pace. See passion and ego have accelerated the pace by an order of magnitude.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Carl G wrote:If we are to define one what as a sage?
Why does it matter? According to you the Sun might possibly be shining due to potential emotional desire, so couldn't anything possibly be a sage if it fits the definition?
Carl G wrote:Emotions drive your writing.
It is my Absolute love of logic, reason, and higher consciousness that drives my writing. Not the emotional love that humans and animals express towards eachother.
Carl G wrote:I showed you examples, your poetry.
Oh? And how does this "poetry", as you describe it, prove emotion is driving my writing? I want you to really try and think this one through, Carl.
Carl G wrote:
It's just a question Carl, no need to get all emotional about it.

I could be wrong, but it appears you are projecting much of your own emotion on to me. Reminds me a lot of Scott Schaula, he did the same thing.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Why would embracing them fully be an advantage to you? It's like saying that you better get really drunk than just a bit effectuated.
Yup. you are an idiot.

See, you have just tried to sneak in, on the sly, the assumption that emotions are bad -- and then you claim that if a little emotion is bad, then certainly a lot of emotion is even worse.

Whatever. Your intellectual honesty is in no danger here, simply because you have none.
One can just as easily say that emotions refer to basic reflexes and drives that are inherent to the human existence.
Well, duh. Emotions are the neurochemical tools we evolved to deal with the world. You seem to think this some sort of grasnd counterpoint, when in fact it's simply a fact.

Trying to deny one's emotions is about as fruitful as trying to refuse to eat protein.
For example, we can feel hungry and receive impulses to change that situation. But it doesn't have to lead to anxiety, anger, grouchiness, etc.
No, it doesn't -- but the act of satisfying hunger is driven by the desire to stop the discomfort.
At face value there doesn't seem to be much difference of quality between the definitions of those religions and the non-religious counterparts. Looking at it deeper, I think religions have a slightly more sane and wiser view, underneath all the imagery and beliefs.
Erm, right... whatever, dude...
Of course I don't share your extremely limited understanding, knowledge and view on religions at all.
of course not. :D
They deal with existential questions on a way more fundamental level than the modern man is willing to deal with.
Dude, you should work as a comedian.

Treating religions as dealing with existential questions -- why? for what purpose? etc. -- presupposes that those are meaningful questions int he first place. You can have your idiotic faith, dude. I am better off without it. unlike passions, faith is not an integral aspect of humanity.
Fair enough. But for a discussion to have some depth and relevance you'd better know where someone is coming from. The Buddhists have already a few centuries thought, written and debated about the role of desire, passion and emotions by experimental and existential research. It can be useful to at least be familiar with the base ideas before taking your aim.
<shrug> I have two millenia of western rational thought behind me. Excuse me for not being particularly impressed with your argumentum ad antiquitatem.

Either you can cite all that research and offer those arguments, or you can't. Me, i find major problem with buddhism from the get-go, the very first noble truth. The world is full of suffering, but also joy and fulfillment, and abandoning passion will rid you of both. I prefer to manage my passions constructively, rather than dampen and suppress them. Not playing at all may be preferable to losing the game, but playing well is better than not playing at all. Buddhism arose in the world where suffering indeed overwhelmed the joys one could have, but that needn't be the case today, at least not in the developed world. My life is certainly full of far more joy and pleasure than suffering, and I see not the slightest reason to be rid of that.
Then again, you are someone who likes to claim a lot of things about subjects you only know little about, even it that's more than most and expect other people to take the trouble proving you wrong. It doesn't work that way Victor, most people will just yell at you, ignore you or talk over your head and you'd feel misplaced vindication.
Great. Then just cut to the chase and put me on ignore, mmm-kay?..
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Nick Treklis wrote:
Carl G wrote:If we are to define one what as a sage?
Why does it matter? According to you the Sun might possibly be shining due to potential emotional desire, so couldn't anything possibly be a sage if it fits the definition?
A nonsensical reply to a simple question. I didn't understand what you were trying to get across. Now you seem flustered, lashing out.
It is my Absolute love of logic, reason, and higher consciousness that drives my
writing. Not the emotional love that humans and animals express towards each other.
And yet you expressed yourself in florid verse. Why?
Oh? And how does this "poetry", as you describe it, prove emotion is driving my writing? I want you to really try and think this one through, Carl.
You stated that the sun, earth, and trees lacked emotions and therefore a sage need not have emotions. I term this poetry. It is clearly not logic or reason. It is emotional in that it is wishful, based on a feeling of how things are, based on a sentiment about how you feel things should be.
Carl G wrote:
It's just a question Carl,

Nope, your response was sarcastic. Sarcasm stems from anger.
no need to get all emotional about it.

I could be wrong, but it appears you are projecting much of your own emotion on to me. Reminds me a lot of Scott Schaula, he did the same thing.
Seems to me it is you doing the projecting.

I am just trying to show you the faulty logic of your statements, and hence your thinking.
Good Citizen Carl
Diebert van Rhijn

vicdan wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Why would embracing them fully be an advantage to you? It's like saying that you better get really drunk than just a bit effectuated.
Yup. you are an idiot.

See, you have just tried to sneak in, on the sly, the assumption that emotions are bad -- and then you claim that if a little emotion is bad, then certainly a lot of emotion is even worse.
No, you didn't get the criticism which was openly put in there, with no attempt to hide. Lets go thought this step by step, who knows, you might still understand:

Me: "This needs more explaining about how your 'passion sets the goals'. "

You: "as long as we embrace emotion, we might as well embrace them fully, and experience passions rather than just the weak, anemic sorts of emotions."

Me: "Why would embracing them fully be an advantage to you? "

You: The usual blabber when you don't know what to say ('idiot', smearing, etc)

This is no explaining since you only claim that embracing fully is better than a weakened down version of it. If that's the extent of your explanation, then I showed you how it doesn't explain why it would be a good thing to do. And that's exactly what I asked.
One can just as easily say that emotions refer to basic reflexes and drives that are inherent to the human existence.
Well, duh. Emotions are the neurochemical tools we evolved to deal with the world. You seem to think this some sort of grasnd counterpoint, when in fact it's simply a fact.
Yes, like all behavior they can be traced back on various neurological mechanisms that facilitate them. It doesn't validate any of them.
Trying to deny one's emotions is about as fruitful as trying to refuse to eat protein.
Perhaps the comparison could be done with the eating of meat. There are times and circumstances where it makes sense to eat meat, when available. These days it's mostly done out of pleasure and attachment while putting a heavy strain on resources. In an increasinlgy populated world and diseased bio-industry the option becomes less sane by the minute.

Denying is not an issue when there would be simply none, like a phantom limb.
For example, we can feel hungry and receive impulses to change that situation. But it doesn't have to lead to anxiety, anger, grouchiness, etc.
No, it doesn't -- but the act of satisfying hunger is driven by the desire to stop the discomfort.
No need for desire in the sense you've defined it (as emotion) unless you want to argue for emotion in lower lifeforms like ants. There's no need for psychological intricate subtleties with ants. Of course a complex mechanism will need complex strategies to get the food and as such more complex drives. But these drives reflect more in subconscious rational calculation than it needs to reflect into some conscious 'want'. We can become aware of what drives us and they are mainly calculations - evaluations that formulate goals. They manifest as what you call 'passion' when one is dimly aware of it. When looked at more closely under a brighter light the undifferentiated glow has turned into a more clear picture.

To answer inline Shahrazad here: one would still get out of bed since when the body and mind are rested; no need will be present anymore to lie down, unless attached to the comforting, nurturing aspects of a warm bed perhaps. A rational person has outlined his goals quite clearly and will proceed to act upon them. With great determination if needed. He's his own master and slave and he can command and obey his own commands. It's like spontaneous arising of order in Chaos theory in the sense that one doesn't need to calculate all the complexity: it arises out of the initial iterated formula. That's the closest way I can currently describe it.

If it sounds high brow and elevated: then it's misunderstood. The context is very plain and common, like eating rice, washing rice bowl, etc.
Treating religions as dealing with existential questions -- why? for what purpose? etc. -- presupposes that those are meaningful questions int he first place. You can have your idiotic faith, dude. I am better off without it. unlike passions, faith is not an integral aspect of humanity.
Where did you got the impression I got a faith? I've already demonstrated you're full of it yourself for that matter. I only addressed the religious as opposed to the secular when it comes to dealing with existence and life. In the end it's philosophy; things you can test with reason and experience.
I have two millenia of western rational thought behind me. Excuse me for not being particularly impressed with your argumentum ad antiquitatem.
Hahaha! You should have asked them before adding to your behind. I doubt most of them would like your posturing with their accomplishments. You're not building on them, but just using them as a whip to please your desires in demonstrating lack of knowledge which is always plenty of around.
Me, i find major problem with buddhism from the get-go, the very first noble truth. The world is full of suffering, but also joy and fulfillment, and abandoning passion will rid you of both. I prefer to manage my passions constructively, rather than dampen and suppress them. Not playing at all may be preferable to losing the game, but playing well is better than not playing at all. Buddhism arose in the world where suffering indeed overwhelmed the joys one could have, but that needn't be the case today, at least not in the developed world. My life is certainly full of far more joy and pleasure than suffering, and I see not the slightest reason to be rid of that.
Perhaps you're just denying your suffering, like you're claiming others are denying their emotions. The first task within Buddhism is to become aware of suffering, understand what it is. And that's not related to the lack of pleasure at all. You might have known this if you actually took time to study it before burning it to the ground.

You're partly right in that Buddhist thought could easily be abused as comforter, like a believe in the afterlife can. The ironical thing is that the pure religious road embraces suffering, rejection and pain. It doesn't reject or suppress anything. It sees the 'joys' and 'pleasures' as clown masks on top of suffering, a coping mechanism but not capable of addressing the underlying twists - therefore passing it on each generation without even knowing what hides behind.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Carl G wrote:A nonsensical reply to a simple question. I didn't understand what you were trying to get across. Now you seem flustered, lashing out.
Carl please take my advice about thinking things through before you post, it does get a bit redundant having to spell everything out for you:

Question: Why does it matter what form a sage takes?

Answer: It doesn't. Whether it be a rock, a star, or a human being, it doesn't matter, so long as that thing is in fact a Sage.

So what does this all mean? It means your question doesn't matter.
Carl G wrote:And yet you expressed yourself in florid verse. Why?
I see how it might come off that way to someone with a poor understanding of what I'm getting it, but in actuality what I said is simple and to the point.
Carl G wrote:
You stated that the sun, earth, and trees lacked emotions and therefore a sage need not have emotions.
See Carl, this is what I mean when I talk about you not thinking things through. You only scratch the surface of what I say and come away with some insane superficial conclusion about it. I didn't even say anything lacked emotion, or that because of this a sage need not have emotion.

Lets recap for a moment: Shah said a person would essentially do "nothing" all day if it weren't for emotions to fire them up. So I pointed out to her that there are countless things in Nature that happen without emotion being the cause of it. Things that include the Sun shining, the Earth spinning, plants growing, and the Sage reasoning. It is in his nature, it is what he does.
Carl G wrote:Nope, your response was sarcastic. Sarcasm stems from anger.
Actually I was being quite serious about the question. I'll admit that looking at the question out of context it might appear sarcastic, but that is only because of the ridiculous statement you made.
Carl G wrote:I am just trying to show you the faulty logic of your statements, and hence your thinking.
Well then as a favor to you, I must tell you you're wasting your time due to the flawless logic in what I've said. On top of that all you have done is made a few accusations, with little or no reasoning to back them up, so the only thing you're showing me is your inability to use logic. Remove the splinter from your own eye before you try to remove the one from your neighbors or else you'll both end up blind.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Nick Treklis wrote:Carl please take my advice about thinking things through before you post, it does get a bit redundant having to spell everything out for you:

...I want you to really try and think this one through, Carl.

...Well then as a favor to you, I must tell you
Condescension noted, but really, Nick, your level of mental prowess and powers of expression don't warrant it.

Whose question? Not mine. In reply to your, "Well if we are to define one as a sage, then yes it would necessarily follow," I asked, "If we are to define one what as a sage?" I was just trying to clarify for myself what you were saying.
Answer: It doesn't. Whether it be a rock, a star, or a human being, it doesn't matter, so long as that thing is in fact a Sage.

So what does this all mean? It means your question doesn't matter.
My question mattered to me, because I was seeking clarification of what you said. And the answer? You want to define sage as someone or something for which emotion is not the motivating factor. Fine. Let's move on.
Carl G wrote:
And yet you expressed yourself in florid verse. Why?
I see how it might come off that way to someone with a poor understanding of what I'm getting it, but in actuality what I said is simple and to the point.
And it is poetry. Let's move on.
Carl G wrote:
You only scratch the surface of what I say and come away with some insane superficial conclusion about it. I didn't even say anything lacked emotion, or that because of this a sage need not have emotion.
Excuse me?

You said: (statement, part 1)

"The Sun shines without emotion. The Earth spins, without emotion. Trees and plants grow without emotion."

I replied:

"None of this is established as fact, but I appreciate the sentiment."

You said (statement part 2)

"So what makes you think a sage would no longer speak the highest wisdom, without emotion?"

(This is convoluted and I think you meant to say wouldn't instead of would, but)

I replied:

"This doesn't necessarily follow."

It is clear me that you meant it to follow, by your extrapolating word "So," but the statement about the Sun, etc does not support the one about the sage.

So, what exactly makes my observation an "insane superficial conclusion?"

Lets recap for a moment: Shah said a person would essentially do "nothing" all day if it weren't for emotions to fire them up. So I pointed out to her that there are countless things in Nature that happen without emotion being the cause of it.
But that's not what you said. You said simply "without emotion."
Things that include the Sun shining, the Earth spinning, plants growing, and the Sage reasoning. It is in his nature, it is what he does.
Here you again lump together the Sage, the Sun, Earth, and plants growing. Now, you may be able to defend the sage, by defining sagacity as you may. However, you are most certainly not qualified to comment on the others, because you can only speculate about their nature, and thus about their aptness as metaphor for your sage.
I am just trying to show you the faulty logic of your statements, and hence your thinking.
Well then as a favor to you, I must tell you you're wasting your time due to the flawless logic in what I've said. On top of that all you have done is made a few accusations, with little or no reasoning to back them up, so the only thing you're showing me is your inability to use logic. Remove the splinter from your own eye before you try to remove the one from your neighbors or else you'll both end up blind.
Talk about projecting blindness. All right, I'll shut up.
Good Citizen Carl
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Shahrazad wrote:Emotions set the goals because without them, you have no preference, absolutely no reason to do anything at all. You wouldn't even get out of bed all day.

Time for some Philosophy 101.

In the beginning stages, when a person first begins to seek truth, he is still very egotistical and emotional, and thus his valuing of truth will certainly be emotional. Indeed, ideally, his emotional love of truth will be very strong, such that it can overpower all of his other emotional attachments and values that would cause him to remain untruthful.

And then, as he develops, his rationality and love of truth begins to chip away at the very foundations of emotion - namely, the illusion of inherent existence. Most people fall away at this stage because they are far too attached to emotional living and don't want to see it eroded. Their emotions call an immediate halt to this rational process of becoming increasingly more truthful and they begin to turn their backs on truth. However, the person who has cultivated a strong passion for truth and developed some serious momentum will continue, almost in spite of himself, to chip away at these foundations until there is nothing left.

If he succeeds, the momentum of the entire preceding process will continue unabated, even when all of his emotions have vanished, and it is this momentum which leads the sage to continue having values and to keep getting out of bed to work for the cause of rationality and wisdom.

-
Nick

Post by Nick »

Carl G wrote:Condescension noted, but really, Nick, your level of mental prowess and powers of expression don't warrant it.
Don't let your ego get in the way of learning a thing or two.
Carl G wrote:

Whose question? Not mine. In reply to your, "Well if we are to define one as a sage, then yes it would necessarily follow," I asked, "If we are to define one what as a sage?" I was just trying to clarify for myself what you were saying.
My apologies, I assumed you knew how to use the English language. In place of "one" you could substitute "someone", "a being", or "an individual". It wasn't meant to be followed by any entity.
Carl G wrote:You want to define sage as someone or something for which emotion is not the motivating factor.
Here's an example of your superficial understanding. What you said here only scratches the surface of what it means to be a Sage. A sage's motivation all stems from a pure understanding of Reality that he lives in accordance with. I'm being absolutely sincere when I tell you that you need to think things through a bit more.
Carl G wrote:And it is poetry. Let's move on.
Well we could move on if it actually were poetry. If what I said stirred your emotions it's only because of the way you perceived it. All I was doing was making a logical comparison that there are many things in Nature, including people, who do things without an emotional motive.
Carl G wrote:So, what exactly makes my observation an "insane superficial conclusion?"
See above.
Carl G wrote:
Lets recap for a moment: Shah said a person would essentially do "nothing" all day if it weren't for emotions to fire them up. So I pointed out to her that there are countless things in Nature that happen without emotion being the cause of it.
But that's not what you said. You said simply "without emotion."
No it's not. I essentially said, the Sun shines (a thing that happens in Nature) without emotion as a motive, or cause if you like.
Carl G wrote:
Things that include the Sun shining, the Earth spinning, plants growing, and the Sage reasoning. It is in his nature, it is what he does.
Here you again lump together the Sage, the Sun, Earth, and plants growing. Now, you may be able to defend the sage, by defining sagacity as you may. However, you are most certainly not qualified to comment on the others, because you can only speculate about their nature, and thus about their aptness as metaphor for your sage.
You're fighting with shadows, Carl.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

vicdan wrote:
David Quinn wrote:It's obviously a clash of values, but that isn't relevant. It still remains true that the attachment to comfort is causing him to temporarily shut down his reasoning powers and undermining his will to further knowledge,
No. it stops his pursuit of a given type of knowledge, but this isn't the same as shutting down his reasoning facilities.

You conveniently cut off the rest of my sentence, which read "at least in this area". There is no question that the emotional attachment to comfort greatly hinders the rational process, often shutting down lines of reason in mid-sentence, as it were, before they have a chance to be completed. This would never happen in an emotionless person.

vicdan wrote:
The best that can be achieved in these instances is a kind of split personality, with two halves fundamentally at odds with one another, each trying to forge a reconciliation between them by curtailing themselves.
Well, i suppose i can't reason you out of the position you didn't reason yourself into. You obviously can't offer a sound argument in favor of reason and emotion being inherently contradictory, but you just have faith that they are.

Emotion arises out of the irrational belief that things inherently exist. So they are indeed fundamentally at odds with pure rational living. This is a mode of living that you clearly have no inkling of.

vicdan wrote:
Not me.I was very happy with that show.
No, you weren't. You had rated your performance as only 6 out of 10, and called it 'a solid enough opening show', damning with faint praise. Whatever else '6/10' describes, 'very happy' ain't it.
Even with a 6 out of 10 performance, the show successfully contrasted the differences between the narrow, rigid mode of conventional, worldly thinking and the freedom of inward spiritual thinking, and for that I am very happy.

-
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

I'm not really sure about emotions. Is it possible to have values without emotions?

David -- By that logic couldn't a sage who also passionately like women continue to do so through "momentum" alongside his desire for truth?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

You mean, would he continue to be emotional towards women even after he has abandoned the emotions?

-
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

David Quinn wrote:You mean, would he continue to be emotional towards women even after he has abandoned the emotions?
David Quinn wrote:In the beginning stages, when a person first begins to seek truth, he is still very egotistical and emotional, and thus his valuing of truth will certainly be emotional. Indeed, ideally, his emotional love of truth will be very strong, such that it can overpower all of his other emotional attachments and values that would cause him to remain untruthful.

And then, as he develops, his rationality and love of truth begins to chip away at the very foundations of emotion - namely, the illusion of inherent existence. Most people fall away at this stage because they are far too attached to emotional living and don't want to see it eroded. Their emotions call an immediate halt to this rational process of becoming increasingly more truthful and they begin to turn their backs on truth. However, the person who has cultivated a strong passion for truth and developed some serious momentum will continue, almost in spite of himself, to chip away at these foundations until there is nothing left.

If he succeeds, the momentum of the entire preceding process will continue unabated, even when all of his emotions have vanished, and it is this momentum which leads the sage to continue having values and to keep getting out of bed to work for the cause of rationality and wisdom.
Similar to how you can be emotional towards truth after abandoning emotions.