The Psychopath Test

Post questions or suggestions here.
vicdan

Re: The Psychopath Test

Post by vicdan »

hsandman wrote:
David Quinn wrote:
vicdan wrote:Forethought Venus Wednesday
"I value visionary thinking directed towards scientific goals, but I also like to remain rooted in normal human life".
-
Is that what he wrote? lol, how fitting! :-D

Is this from anywhere here? cozy place under the bridge.
For someone supposedly ignoring me, you seem to care about me a whole lot.

pathetic.
Forethought Venus Wednesday
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

First Clue...
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

vicdan wrote:
David Quinn wrote:"I value visionary thinking directed towards scientific goals, but I also like to remain rooted in normal human life".
No. Try to decipher it first, and only then interpret it. It's a philosophical and mythological puzzle.
"Thinking love wisdom".

Wisdom is the cultivation of knowledge and love.

-
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

David Quinn wrote:"Thinking love wisdom".

no.

Dude, you aren't thinking. You are thrashing. Step back and think. It's more interesting than what you are guessing.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Forethought of man doth aligned beauty with the stars, as Odin wanders the earth still in search of tomorrow's dawn.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

'Venus' could be so many things in VicDans riddle.I'm thing it may represent 'clarity' or 'purity'

My guess is "Clear thinking middle"
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

vicdan wrote:
David Quinn wrote:"Thinking love wisdom".

no.

Dude, you aren't thinking. You are thrashing. Step back and think. It's more interesting than what you are guessing.
It's probably because I'm not really interested. I'm just offering what intuitively occurs to me.

Will solving it be a life-changing experience for me?

-
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

OK, OK, I will make it easy for you.

Each one of the three words represents a distinct notion. it's not a sentence or anything resembling a sentence. These three distinct things have a common feature though.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

David Quinn wrote:It's probably because I'm not really interested. I'm just offering what intuitively occurs to me.
You would have to think to solve it -- and if you aren't interested, you don't have to try. The answer is precise, there is nothing vague verbose about what those three words stand for.
Will solving it be a life-changing experience for me?
Sorry, i can't answer that one, dude. The solution to that riddle was certainly life-changing for me, but YMMV.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

I'll try another guess then give up.It relates to time and knowledge.Although the 'Venus' alludes me.

Future, Past and Present.

A priori,A posteriori and Actual.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Hehe, I hate to to get into this, but what the hell. Venus is the morning star. It's the light-bringer. Light-bringer = Lucifer. Damned for rebellion against the Abrahamic God. And if Lucifer is there, there's probably a connection to Prometheus somewhere.

I think I've read the answer before, but I completely forgot.
I live in a tub.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Are you sure you aren't remembering the answer? :) i had told it to Dan and Katy, and i believe they told it to you.

Yes, Venus is the Morningstar. Prometheus is there too -- just a tiny reach away. What's the third?
Katy

Post by Katy »

Nice Nat. Except that I distinctly remember telling you the answer when I figured it out... (well I got Venus and Wednesday and got help with Forethought)
-Katy
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

yeah, Katy had come the closest to getting it on her own.

And you didn't miss Forethought, you go that. You missed Venus.
Katy

Post by Katy »

vicdan wrote:yeah, Katy had come the closest to getting it on her own.

And you didn't miss Forethought, you go that. You missed Venus.
Actually, my biggest problem was since I'd always learned Odin received wisdom, rather than knowledge (the ability to use runes as opposed to just the knowledge of them) the connection didn't work.

Incidentally, HeimdallR winds up passing the runic knowledge to humans, not Odin, who tries to keep it to himself.
-Katy
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Whether you count it as wisdom or knowledge is secondary. IMO it's all related -- just different aspects of the same thing; I see wisdom as being able to apply knowledge with honesty (intellectual honesty), which itself is a form of knowledge, i.e. knowledge of one's self. Furthermore, Odin sacrificed for knowledge twice -- once his eye, and once himself.

Plus, he worked well in the puzzle. :)
Katy

Post by Katy »

vicdan wrote:Whether you count it as wisdom or knowledge is secondary. IMO it's all related -- just different aspects of the same thing; I see wisdom as being able to apply knowledge with honesty (intellectual honesty), which itself is a form of knowledge, i.e. knowledge of one's self. Furthermore, Odin sacrificed for knowledge twice -- once his eye, and once himself.

Plus, he worked well in the puzzle. :)
Yeah, I guess that's pretty much exactly what Odin's wisdom is (the ability to use the runic power without fuarsing himself... essentially)

And "Forethought Venus HeimdallR" wouldn't have worked too well. Though it would have connected with the theme of giving humanity knowledge.

It's interesting that Promethius and Odin will immediately be connected to wisdom/knowledge as the first story people tell about them. But Lucifer? A million other things would come to mind before "gave people knowledge"
-Katy
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

But you see, it's not about giving humanity knowledge. It's about knowledge itself, atomically. It just so happens that both Prometheus and Lucifer gave it to people, but that's not the pattern, that's purely incidental.
Katy

Post by Katy »

vicdan wrote:But you see, it's not about giving humanity knowledge. It's about knowledge itself, atomically. It just so happens that both Prometheus and Lucifer gave it to people, but that's not the pattern, that's purely incidental.
Wait, I think I just had two half-thoughts that combined in a weird way to not make sense in the last post.

One was wondering why Promethius and Odin are generally liked by humanity, while Lucifer is evil. I was trying to see if I could link it to what they did with the knowledge (why I was talking about teaching...) but couldn't.
-Katy
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Katy wrote:One was wondering why Promethius and Odin are generally liked by humanity, while Lucifer is evil. I was trying to see if I could link it to what they did with the knowledge (why I was talking about teaching...) but couldn't.
I don't think it's what they did with knowledge that is the definitive difference, but each culture's attitude to knowledge. The dogma of abrahamic religions disdains knowledge of the world, and sees faith and divine favor as being more important than anything else. In a sense, all the abrahamic religions are world-transcending and life-denying, they look beyond this world, beyond its struggles and sorrows and triumphs, xianity and islam much more so than judaism.

This I think is what makes a difference, not what humans did with that knowledge. Abrahamic religions don't believe humans did anything particular with that knowledge (unlike Prometheus teaching people to work fire and forge, and Odin teaching people to work writing and magic) because abrahamic religions don't believe the worldly knowledge to me worth much. IMO, what each religion sees being done with knowledge, is a derivative factor of how each mythos sees knowledge itself.