U.S. politics

Post questions or suggestions here.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

There is a huge majority of the world that is Muslim.
Wrong. There are only 1.5 to 2 billion of them. There are still more in the Christian crowd. It is just that Muslims are more herdy, having not experienced freedom of being able to express different opinions, therefore there behaviour is both more mob like and geared to the lowest common emotional denominator.
I regard fundi Muslims as having little more rationality than the most intelligent dog.

In 30 years time there will be a majority of Muslims, not because of the religion, but because underdogs are emotionally geared to seek to obtain what those on the top of the economic scale have.

The obvious problem with what I said above is not the numbers of Muslims, but that business will not stand putting up required front as they are only about short term profits. A period of 6-12 months where oil supply was severly limited would bring them down - but personally I'm happy with that. The West needs to pay the price as well. Any actions that clearly put up a solid barrier between Muslim nations (if you can call them that) and the West would mean cancelling all wealth owned by the oil sheiks held in Western company stock.
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

sschaula wrote:
Scott's Republicanism is mostly a function of masculinity and assertion as opposed to economic or social philosophies. It is NeoCon at its root.
I disagree. You only say this because I support the war. Supporting the war doesn't necessarily make someone a neocon.
No, I don't say it only because you support the war, but to be honest, I cannot see how the war in Iraq fits in logically with any other mindset. Now, if we were talking about Afghanistan or Israel's recent pounding of Hizbullah (and subsequently Lebanon unfortunately), then I might agree with you.

But you know this war was a con job from the beginning. (NeoCon lying for desired outcome). It was done against an enemy that had not been involved in a direct attack upon our soil and thus was a war of choice (NeoCon aggression). And as a result, it has severely diminished our standing in the world (NeoCon inability/unwillingness to enact diplomacy). I suspect you do not believe we are diminished both morally and actually, is that true? (NeoCon hubris).
...my political beliefs have to do mostly with the ideal of freedom, not with being reactionary. I truly believe smaller government interference is better. If the world were perfect, I'd prefer it that there'd be no government. Does that sound neo-conservative to you?
I agree that does not sound NeoCon. That is leaning libertarian. But let's take this premise you stated of "if the world were perfect." We both know it is not, never has been, and never will be. As such, what personal sacrifices in the name of "security" should be made? The more things you affirm here, the closer to the NeoCon mindset you drift.
My true political beliefs are that all men are truly created equally and free. That we all have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Sometimes our rights are taken away and we have to fight for them.
This is idealistic. On a functional level, humans are not socially equal and certainly not universally free. It is a nice ideal though. We are granted, as American citizens, the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but how do you translate those concepts into actionable policy? And what terrorist has ever taken any right from you? They might blow you up, but they have not infringed your social rights. The government does that through rulesets.
That happens more often with an uncontrollable government, which is why I favor less federal interference and more power to the local government. The federal government should only function as a check to the local government, in my opinion.
Nothing wrong with that idea. How do you implement it? A leader with monarchistic/totalitarian tendencies, even if technically legal, will define and practice those principles in an entirely different manner than a more compassionate personality type.
And in order to express these muscular expressions, any and all roads are traveled to achieve goals relative to the threatened mindset; civil liberty suppression
The one place you've got me there is being a supporter of the Patriot Act. While I hate to say that it is civil liberty suppression and that I believe in it, I do think it's necessary in this day. I think it can prevent a lot of damage.
But at what cost? For everything in life there is a cost/benefit analysis relative to risk. Have you ever been affected personally by terrorism? Any family members? What about car wrecks or cancer? Is your focus level appropriate?
I don't see how it's used for bad. Like spying on romantic conversations or something....I really don't see what the problem is. But then again, I don't have anything to hide from the government so that factors in.

If I was hiding something, it would be kind of a pain.
I agree with you here. It is not as if everything we do is not available anyway, if you know how to look. Privacy is an illusion; a childish fantasy. And the siren call of the idea of privacy is really a function of not liking/trusting the observer and fearing retribution.
You mean military and intelligence expansion? Yeah, I support those things. Homeland security? Yeah, I support that.
As a general state of being an American or for specific purposes?
Private agencies being hired by the government? No, I don't support that.
Why not? Didn't you say you prefered little or no government? But you are willing to sacrifice this fundamental portion of your "life, liberty, and happiness" because of some shadowy fear? That is 100% NeoCon. Where is your courage to live your ideals?
fearmongering,
...what does this mean? Is there not an enemy?
go to grocery store. Show me our enemy. No TVs allowed.
and the intentional circumvention and disrespect of tradition behaviors, ethical standards, and laws.
How is that?
NSA wiretapping, DA dismissal mid-term without proper cause, political interference in scientific consultation, signing statements of disintent to follows laws presented by the people's local representatives, etc.
In the NeoCon mindset, dishonesty is purely an attitudinal function toward actionable goals, rather than an unstated abiding to traditional conservative American idealism and Christian morality.
Do you think I'm dishonest, Tharan? Maybe I come off a little weird online, but I'm the most honest person I know of. Too honest, perhaps.

I really can't see how I fit into this neocon box.
I don't think you are intentionally dishonest yourself. But I do believe that you have purchased a set of goods you consider quality. I am pointing out that they are of not such high quality. Only that.
*edit*
As an analogy, traditional conservatism is a like a white Christmas with local carolers going door to door singing Silent Night on Christmas Eve. NeoCon republicanism reads like a Tom Clancy novel with patriotic war music playing in the background and missiles launching from a destroyer.
This doesn't make sense.
What about it doesn't make sense? Traditional conservatism is family/community based. Modern republicanism has co-opted this vote brilliantly with marketing, but the actual policy output is in 180 degree polar opposition to the middle class people that vote Republican. People sometimes believe the TV and radio talking heads more than their own paychecks, tax rate, and services provided.

Tell me, you are young, do you have college loan debt? If so, you are at a distinct competitive disadvantage to Asians and Europeans. Not only are their school systems equal or better in quality, but they emerge mostly debt free. It is but one of many examples.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Ryan R wrote:Diebert wrote:
The big mistake from the West was to ever drop support for Saddam. The world would have been a better place with him owning Kuweit, having the Kurds under control (like Turkey has) and having a counterweight against Islamists around it.
Why do the Kurds need to be under control? I was under the impression that northern Iraq is quite calm compared to the rest of the country. Here is an article outlining how Turkey doesn’t really have the Kurds under control.

I guess my biggest curiosity is that I don’t fully understand the Kurd’s conflict with Turkey, care to elaborate Diebert? Or you can provide me with an educational link.
It's a big topic to get into. Kurds have some form of ethnic conflict or suffer suppression of their nationalistic aims in Iran, and Syria as well. Not too mention Iraq where they pushed hardest for a degree of independence .

Having some good friends from and in that area (Kurdish ruled part of Iraq) I have more than an average interest in the developments and political bombings or killings that increase weekly in that area. But a spark could get former neutral groups (Turkey and the ethnic Turkmen) involved in the civil war.

For now I'll give a link outlining some recent development:

Turkish Army Seeks OK for Iraq Raids

Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Diebert,

Since you actually know people there, I would trust your statement more than that of any reporter. Who wants the US there, and who does not?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Who wants the US there, and who does not?
To simplify a big mess: as time goes by less and less people from all sides. Still, the Americans are not seen as the biggest problem in that area by most inhabitants [to understand that fully take into account the familiarity with wars and occupation since generations].

As much as Americans of course want to be at center stage, they were here just another possible means for people to get what they want: survival, jobs, security, getting rid of opponents and such. It's pragmatism, not love.

That's why it's worrying that security, economy and the politics are perceived to go down the drain. It were promises, the faith in a future that could work that kept this (rather wealthy and developed, oil industry) area quiet and inspired the attempts to work with each other.

sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Tharan,
No, I don't say it only because you support the war, but to be honest, I cannot see how the war in Iraq fits in logically with any other mindset.
Then you'll need to expand your view of things. I don't mean to be rude, but it's true.
But you know this war was a con job from the beginning. (NeoCon lying for desired outcome). It was done against an enemy that had not been involved in a direct attack upon our soil and thus was a war of choice (NeoCon aggression).
I don't think it was a con job. Maybe I'm an absolute retard, but I thought it was a good idea once I stopped complaining about America's stupidity and started thinking about the repercussions of NOT going to war. No, Iraq wasn't necessarily directly involved in 9/11, but they posed a serious threat. We didn't have a precise enemy to capture, besides the elusive Bin Laden. So yeah, I just don't agree with your argument. If I did, my view of the war would be different of course.
And as a result, it has severely diminished our standing in the world (NeoCon inability/unwillingness to enact diplomacy). I suspect you do not believe we are diminished both morally and actually, is that true? (NeoCon hubris).
No, I don't think we're doing too bad. I'd need to travel outside of the states to truly find out. I really don't see what anyone's problem would be, though. People just like to have someone to bitch about I think.
I agree that does not sound NeoCon. That is leaning libertarian. But let's take this premise you stated of "if the world were perfect." We both know it is not, never has been, and never will be. As such, what personal sacrifices in the name of "security" should be made? The more things you affirm here, the closer to the NeoCon mindset you drift.
I agree with you about that. Hopefully I wouldn't affirm too many things, yet at the same time kept the country secure, if I had any say in it.

No one likes to be spied on, and no one likes to die. Both sides need to comprimise a little bit and come to a middle ground on the issue. I think that has already happened and we're doing pretty good right now, besides the whole border issue. I think that has more to do with money and priority (at least in the minds of our leaders) than anything though.

I consider it a high priority. Higher than listening to phone calls, that's for sure.
This is idealistic. On a functional level, humans are not socially equal and certainly not universally free.
We're free when no one is stopping us from life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness. Without other people, that's as free as we get and it's what I consider to be freedom. Anything less than that is oppression. So the only reason we're sociall unequal and whatnot, is because other people are oppressing us.

How do you stop this oppression, but by fighting against it?

If it's our own government that's oppressing us, then we also have a right, by nature, to fight against that...
It is a nice ideal though. We are granted, as American citizens, the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but how do you translate those concepts into actionable policy?
By catering to everyone's needs and desires. That's the government's job, or at least it should be. Not everyone will ever be completely happy, but it'll be close enough.
And what terrorist has ever taken any right from you? They might blow you up, but they have not infringed your social rights. The government does that through rulesets.
I don't see what you mean. If they take my life, aren't they taking one of my rights as defined by what we're granted as American citizens?
Nothing wrong with that idea. How do you implement it? A leader with monarchistic/totalitarian tendencies, even if technically legal, will define and practice those principles in an entirely different manner than a more compassionate personality type.
The government should be set up so that each part is checked by another part, no singular party dominates, and the people have more of a direct voice. Stalling the passing of laws shouldn't be allowed...I can't recall the term for that. The federal government should oversee the state, the state should oversee the county, etc. But less power should be given to the federal. Less federal laws and more state laws. Less ATF type organizations.

These are just ideas. I don't know how to run shit.
But at what cost? For everything in life there is a cost/benefit analysis relative to risk. Have you ever been affected personally by terrorism? Any family members? What about car wrecks or cancer? Is your focus level appropriate?
I was affected personally when I watched the planes hit buildings in my country. I didn't know anyone but it very well could have been someone I knew. I don't know anyone with car wrecks or cancer. My life has been a piece of cake in the scheme of things.

But I saw my friends having children and I saw the little kids who could either have a peaceful life as I did, or have a horrible life as mine became on 9/11...so that's why I focus on terrorism. Cuz I don't want that Baghdad shit coming to America.
I agree with you here. It is not as if everything we do is not available anyway, if you know how to look. Privacy is an illusion; a childish fantasy. And the siren call of the idea of privacy is really a function of not liking/trusting the observer and fearing retribution.
Right, and I do see your point as well...that once our legal rights are being taken away, then "what's next?" It could get way out of hand.
As a general state of being an American or for specific purposes?
As an American citizen. Also kind of specific...I like our country for the most part. It's good to defend it.
Why not? Didn't you say you prefered little or no government?
There's not much accountability for private security companies. Also, controlling them is tough. They turn things into the wild west...which is kind of cool, but that can public affairs issues way out of hand. With the military doing work, things are professionally done and handled intelligently. The higher ups generally know what's happening for everyone they're leading. With, lets say, 3 private security companies there is no communication between them. They do things completely differently from eachother...some very aggressively which does nothing good for how Iraqi citizens think of us...

Basically, every government organization just needs to be checked up on. When you hire jobs out, they aren't checked up on.
But you are willing to sacrifice this fundamental portion of your "life, liberty, and happiness" because of some shadowy fear? That is 100% NeoCon. Where is your courage to live your ideals?
Shadowy fear? I don't see that. I see that there's an enemy out there...that some of them have attacked already...that many are planning on it. I seek to keep that enemy in the shadows, so that for many Americans it'll remain just a shadowy fear and hopefully even less than that.
go to grocery store. Show me our enemy. No TVs allowed.
Does the grocery store have something to do with this enemy? Why no TVs allowed? Are you saying what's reported about all of the bombings in Iraq killing sometimes hundreds of civilians in a day isn't real? That only what happens in our grocery stores is real?
I don't think you are intentionally dishonest yourself. But I do believe that you have purchased a set of goods you consider quality. I am pointing out that they are of not such high quality. Only that.
Perhaps not. What is the highest good?
What about it doesn't make sense? Traditional conservatism is family/community based. Modern republicanism has co-opted this vote brilliantly with marketing, but the actual policy output is in 180 degree polar opposition to the middle class people that vote Republican. People sometimes believe the TV and radio talking heads more than their own paychecks, tax rate, and services provided.
How is voting Republican in direct opposition to being in a middle class type of status?
Tell me, you are young, do you have college loan debt? If so, you are at a distinct competitive disadvantage to Asians and Europeans. Not only are their school systems equal or better in quality, but they emerge mostly debt free. It is but one of many examples.
How is it possible to come out debt free? Paying a lot more taxes? What if someone doesn't fit in school...should they be forced through because it's the country's policy? Should they have to pay university taxes when they aren't going to ever attend, just so others can?

I will have paid off all of my school loans by being in the military...which is very helpful. Without it, and with a medium paying job, I'd have a hard time. Costs to attend college are very high these days. Same for buying a car or a house. Many people do these things because it's how it's always been done in our country, and they fall deep into debt due to high interest rates. It sucks.

What would suck more, though, is being taxed on everything and hardly getting any of the money we've earned. I think our taxes are high enough as they are.
- Scott
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Dan Rowden wrote:Scott has long been our resident Repuke.

We ride out across that mid-eastern sand, and tear up Alaska for the fatherland. Can't get us enough that liquid energy, them fields back home ain't what they used to be, so gasohol. We're gasohaulin', drunk on fossil-fuel.

Bush and Cheney and you and me, we take 20 percent for the land of the free. Who needs bleeding-heart fuel-efficiency, once we run out those liberals with our SUVs? So gasohol, it's Texas calling, ingesting oil for food.

(Cheney chews on cigar butts like Patton with an oil gut. He takes it pure and black and straight, strung out on the fuel intake.)

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Humorous.
- Scott