THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MALES AND FEMALES

Post questions or suggestions here.
plotinus

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MALES AND FEMALES

Post by plotinus »

Can anyone keep to the topic of the the thread?

There is one characteristic, and only one characteristic, which universally distinguishes female entities from male entities.

Does anyone know what it is?

It seems that no one here knows the difference between males and females. Perhaps that explains some of the comments.

塞 翁 失 馬
Last edited by plotinus on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frontier geezer loses a horse
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Is it an extra atom of hydrogen?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Is it an extra atom of hydrogen?
Yes, females universally have more hot air..
Elizabeth Isabelle

Was that really necessarry Dan?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

I think it's more like an extra proton in the nucleus.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Females ask; males decide.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

What time does your clock say? I'm not sure your clock is keeping time according to what I think is correct time; but if it seems to match my judgment, then I'll accept its measurement.

I wish to know what the time is, because a particular event has been planned to occur then. If I know what the generally accepted time is, as of now, I can estimate how long I have, and then pace my activities, so I can be in the most likely sort of scenario to experience this event.

-
Katy

Post by Katy »

Kelly Jones wrote:What time does your clock say? I'm not sure your clock is keeping time according to what I think is correct time; but if it seems to match my judgment, then I'll accept its measurement.

I wish to know what the time is, because a particular event has been planned to occur then. If I know what the generally accepted time is, as of now, I can estimate how long I have, and then pace my activities, so I can be in the most likely sort of scenario to experience this event.

-
uh. what?
-Katy
Elizabeth Isabelle

Dan,

I'm noting that in this thread, you are using the term "females" and attributing qualities that have, in the past, been attributed to "woman" which supposedly the QRS deem as different from females. I have complained endlessly that the link is too close - and here you seem to be engaging in exactly the kind of thought pattern that I (and others) have voiced concerns about the "woman" terminology engendering. It also supports the thought that the redefinition of "woman" is just a bait-and-switch for disguising misogynistic attitudes. You have claimed not to be a misogynist. What happened Dan?
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Sorry, Katy. I'm sure it would have been confusing!

My intention was to see if I could communicate the idea of individuality to Elizabeth. The more reminders of the idea, the more one thinks about it.

It'd make more sense if one had been following the "Consciousness is things" thread.

-
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Dan Rowden wrote:
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
Is it an extra atom of hydrogen?
Yes, females universally have more hot air..
Was that really necessarry Dan?
Um, this thread is essentially a joke, isn't it?
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MALES AND FEMALES

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

plotinus wrote:There is one characteristic, and only one characteristic, which universally distinguishes female entities from male entities.

Does anyone know what it is?
The ability to "recombine" within itself.

Even the Y-chromosome does it!

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Dan,

I'm noting that in this thread, you are using the term "females" and attributing qualities that have, in the past, been attributed to "woman" which supposedly the QRS deem as different from females. I have complained endlessly that the link is too close - and here you seem to be engaging in exactly the kind of thought pattern that I (and others) have voiced concerns about the "woman" terminology engendering. It also supports the thought that the redefinition of "woman" is just a bait-and-switch for disguising misogynistic attitudes. You have claimed not to be a misogynist. What happened Dan?
I haven't any idea what you're talking about, frankly. Woman and "females" are not identical things, but they're not distinct either. If they were what practical meaning could "Woman" have? The generalisations contained within Woman do apply to females - generally. Biological females embody the characteristics of Woman to a very high degree. It's just that Woman encapsulates more than just those characteristics - things such as social mores and memes and male behaviours and mentality as well. The concept of "Woman" is two things - the practical reality of what females generally are, and also the abstract reality of what society is in a broader sense.

Perhaps you could point out things I've said that to you have a misogynistic flavour. For example, when I joked about women containing more hot air I also meant it, despite the humorous intention. By "hot air" I mean emotional volitility. On average, women are definitely more given to this than men. In fact, the average woman's entire reality is driven by it (keep in mind that any kind of emotionally driven dynamic constitiutes "hot air" for me). When I said "Females ask; males decide." I was pointing out another general truth about how females function. That is, they seldom make a decision for themselves. Their decisions very often have to be based on either some form of consensus or the support of another individual. This dynamic is sometimes so subtle one needs a trained eye to perceive it. The reason this dynamic exists is that women, generally, have a hard time dealing with being held personally responsible for what they do. This is mostly because they have a hard time thinking of themselves as individuals, rather than a conscious desire to avoid that responsibility.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Dan,

Dan Rowden wrote:Um, this thread is essentially a joke, isn't it?
So if you talk bad about women, you just mean the QRS definition of woman, and if you talk bad about females, you were just joking.

Another thread
Faust13 wrote:How sickly perverse. The ONLY time that I would place myself beneath a woman would be a sadomasochistic submission in sex, but other than that no shithole way. That may seem perverse to you but it's not, it's aesthetic. what do you think?
Nah, nobody here really thinks it's really about misogyny. I'm not going to go digging for others - just the last few days is sufficient.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Dan Rowden wrote:For example, when I joked about women containing more hot air I also meant it, despite the humorous intention. By "hot air" I mean emotional volitility. On average, women are definitely more given to this than men.
On average is one thing, but universally is another.

Fine, there are generalizations about men that this site is not nearly so tolerant of - and such men are called women.

Bar room brawl - usually guys or usually girls?

Switchboard operators were originally men, but companies quickly decided to give the jobs to women because women were less likely to curse at the customers.

Homicide is more often committed by men.

Men are more likely than women to urinate in the coffee in the breakroom.
Dan Rowden wrote:In fact, the average woman's entire reality is driven by it (keep in mind that any kind of emotionally driven dynamic constitiutes "hot air" for me).
So the average man who spends a ridiculous amount of time lusting after females, getting mad because something isn't going his way, anxious about his job/raise/deadline, happy about a good tasting meal or snack or mad because his food isn't the way he likes it, etc., - his whole reality isn't driven by emotion?

I'm not denying that there are some ways of expressing emotion that are more often seen in females than males - but vice versa as well. There are some things that generally men are better at, and other things that generally women are better at. The funky QRS definition of woman takes that into account, but it also draws the line saying that there are some females that do not act like that - and you stated that universally females act like that.

From the above link:
u·ni·ver·sal·ly /ˌyunəˈvɜrsəli/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yoo-nuh-vur-suh-lee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adverb
in a universal manner; in every instance or place; without exception.
without exception
Katy

Post by Katy »

Is peeing in the coffee pot so frequent an event that someone studied that? I've never even heard of that happening!

At any rate, I think "hot air" might have a different definition in Oz than here, Dan. Here I think it specifically refers to yelling and fighting a lot.
-Katy
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

At any rate, I think "hot air" might have a different definition in Oz than here, Dan. Here I think it specifically refers to yelling and fighting a lot.
To me it generally means getting all negatively excited about nothing, and communicating same. It refers to a person all full of ego bullshit.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:For example, when I joked about women containing more hot air I also meant it, despite the humorous intention. By "hot air" I mean emotional volitility. On average, women are definitely more given to this than men.
On average is one thing, but universally is another.
<Thinks of a way to get his arse out of this one..>

Women are universally - on average - full of hot air. i.e. it's the generalisation that is universal.
Fine, there are generalizations about men that this site is not nearly so tolerant of - and such men are called women.

Bar room brawl - usually guys or usually girls?
You need to be careful of the nature of the examples you give, because statistics can be used falsely. Bar room brawls, historicaly at least, are the domain of men, but this is because bar rooms are predominantly populated by men. I could ask how many bar room brawls are fought because of women, but this wouldn't be legitimate as it doesn't speak to my actual point.
Switchboard operators were originally men, but companies quickly decided to give the jobs to women because women were less likely to curse at the customers.
Again, this is a bad example. Only a tiny proportion of the male population has ever had this job. Plus I would have thought it was about women's better multitasking skills, but who knows..
Homicide is more often committed by men.
True, though this is a complex issue. But again, it's not germaine because only a tiny proportion of men do this. It's not a fact that can be ascribed to the "average" male.
Men are more likely than women to urinate in the coffee in the breakroom.
Like Katy, I'm amazed people keep stats like this, but it has the same failing as the others.
Dan Rowden wrote:
In fact, the average woman's entire reality is driven by it (keep in mind that any kind of emotionally driven dynamic constitiutes "hot air" for me).
So the average man who spends a ridiculous amount of time lusting after females, getting mad because something isn't going his way, anxious about his job/raise/deadline, happy about a good tasting meal or snack or mad because his food isn't the way he likes it, etc., - his whole reality isn't driven by emotion?
No, it isn't, but this line of argument is certainly more to the point. It basically boils down to matters of degree. Even a lustful man reflects on his lust some of the time (a man in love however tends to dwell in unconsciousness all the time. A man in love is as close to "feminine" in an average female sense as men get). I don't think women realise how much time men actually spend in conscious reflection. This is partly because they don't recognise it at such because it doesn't constitute a normal part of their everday experience. I don't know how many times I've been approached by women in bars and/or cafes or even strip clubs (during my Dostoevskian "Notes from the Underground" days) - just sitting thinking or reading Nietzsche - who interpret my demeanour as depression or such like. They walk up to you and say things like: "It can't be that bad" or "Cheer up" or similar phrases. They literally don't recognise conscious reflection for what it is.

It may seem like a convenient argument, and I can understand that perception, but I have to make it as it's been my experience that it is true, that women simply cannot understand the male mind. This is because they cannot experience it, or even a close facimilie of it. On the other hand, men can understand the female mind - or a close facimilie of it -because they do experience it, their own minds having a large feminine component. The main reson men either possess or feign ignorance regarding the nature of the female mind is that it just isn't kosher to understand it. It's bad manners and bad morals and strips away a fantasy and a social myth that men are very attached to.

After those observations I will make this one: men spend a great deal of their waking life in a feminine mode of engagement with the world. No doubt about it. As I said, the difference exists in matters of degree, but even a few degrees difference is a significant thing.
I'm not denying that there are some ways of expressing emotion that are more often seen in females than males - but vice versa as well.
Can you give an example of emotion exhibited by males that has no equivalent in females? I can't think of any that aren't wrapped up in some biological difference.
There are some things that generally men are better at, and other things that generally women are better at.
Certainly.
The funky QRS definition of woman takes that into account, but it also draws the line saying that there are some females that do not act like that - and you stated that universally females act like that.
For the sake of intellectual propriety, I retract my use of the word "universally".
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

On the other hand, men can understand the female mind - or a close facimilie of it -because they do experience it, their own minds having a large feminine component. The main reson men either possess or feign ignorance regarding the nature of the female mind is that it just isn't kosher to understand it.
OK, so the majority of men, who don't have the foggiest idea of what women want, are just faking not knowing. Wow, now I have really heard it all.

And all those men who think with their dicks 90% of the time, well, they're not dumb or emotional, because at least they stop to reflect on this behavior once a year or so. Yeah, right.

Come on, feed me some more of how great the average male is. Maybe then I can talk myself into going back to dating.

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Shahrazad wrote:
On the other hand, men can understand the female mind - or a close facimilie of it -because they do experience it, their own minds having a large feminine component. The main reson men either possess or feign ignorance regarding the nature of the female mind is that it just isn't kosher to understand it.
OK, so the majority of men, who don't have the foggiest idea of what women want, are just faking not knowing. Wow, now I have really heard it all.
Oh, no, that part is not faking because women don't know what they want either. Or, they don't know until some one or some fashion tells them.
And all those men who think with their dicks 90% of the time, well, they're not dumb or emotional, because at least they stop to reflect on this behavior once a year or so. Yeah, right.
Yeah, they say men think about sex every 7th minute out of 8. That still leaves them not thinking about sex most of the time. Women tend to not be comfortable with the idea that they do not occupy the majority of a man's conscious thought. Men know that they simply don't. This may vary by degree from culture to culture.
Come on, feed me some more of how great the average male is. Maybe then I can talk myself into going back to dating.
I don't know where you get from anything I said that the average man is great. The average man is quite pathetic.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Dan Rowden wrote:D: The main reson men either possess or feign ignorance regarding the nature of the female mind is that it just isn't kosher to understand it.

Sher: OK, so the majority of men, who don't have the foggiest idea of what women want, are just faking not knowing.

D: Oh, no, that part is not faking because women don't know what they want either. Or, they don't know until some one or some fashion tells them.
I can think of an instance where men don't "know" what a woman wants. It is when a woman bursts into tears, and the man does something like hide behind a newspaper. He doesn't "know" what she wants, because he knows it's not worth knowing.

But this isn't really a good example. It just shows that men generally know intuitively what women want, but won't get into the technical side --- unless there's $150/hour being paid.

-

Dan,

Liked the point you made about being labelled "sad", when you were just thinking. This has happened to me frequently. It's occasionally been irritating, when I get a proselytiser of happiness who wants to convert me regardless of my explanations. Most of the time my explanation quickly downgrades my label from "pitiable" to "unemployable no-hoper who's unlikely to improve my social standing".

I'm afraid I'm not as au fait as Greg Shantz with universal humour.

-
Katy

Post by Katy »

I'm afraid I'd think there was something wrong with someone reading Nietzsche in a strip club, too. I mean, I'm afraid it's just not the atmosphere I would consider doing such a thing... but then again I've never been to a strip club so what do I know?

But still, thinking of sex every 7 minutes must be rather distracting. It's not something that really crosses my mind at all (except when i'm here and people keep talking about it...)
-Katy
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

How often do women look in a mirror or think about their appearance? How long does it take them to dress---or, better, shop, considering the geometric configurations of their ass or boobs with an assortment of varied outfits?

As much time as men think about sex, women either do too (and will never, in a million years, admit this) or they think about being sexy.

Oh, and for Elizabeth Isabelle:

Dead babies, infants, fetusus: mostly male murderers or female murderers? Victims killed in their sleep or some other utterly defenseless position---male murders or female murderers? Child abuse? Vicious murders with a weapon in relationships?

(Bonus question: what's the average prison sentence for the exact same crime per gender? That is, the females who don't get off on an "aww, she's so sweet!" defense and never serve any time.)

Something lighter---in high school, which---male or female students---are most cruel verbally, psychologically?

(If you really want to start the gender "who's good and who's bad" bit, again, lemme know and I'll dig out all my texts and stats, just for you.)
Elizabeth Isabelle

Both of you - Yes, women are more likely to get snippy, but men are more likely to get physical. It's a difference, and neither expression is lofty.
Dan Rowden wrote:Bar room brawls, historicaly at least, are the domain of men, but this is because bar rooms are predominantly populated by men.
Yes, it was a double whammy.

Oh, you want generalizations more like will drink beer to the point (or beyond) that it deteriorates his health, arrogant enough to think he does not need to ask (directions, what's on a females mind), arrogant enough to think his way is always the best way (thinking about himself first becomes "living an independent life" but the womanly caring about the needs of others becomes "does not have a life of her own - must live through others"), would sooner become deathly ill with allergies than to clean house, watches sports on TV, must have either a dog or a large collection of reptiles, "washes" socks by spraying them with Lysol (after wearing the same pair 5 days in a row), interested in cars, wants the latest electronic gadget, plays lots of video games, can't aim for the toilet and won't wipe up where he missed, hypocritical (follows list to make sure people won't think he's gay, but accuses women of being the ones who worry what other people think), and finds bodily noises to be the best humor.
Nordicvs wrote:(If you really want to start the gender "who's good and who's bad" bit, again, lemme know and I'll dig out all my texts and stats, just for you.)
I didn't start this - but appearantly it's a crime on this board to point out male faults, yet a round of applause goes out to whoever slams females. I didn't say females were all that great (and even of the list above to Dan, there are females that do that, too) - but every fault in the universe is not "feminine" because there are non-lofty traits that are more often found in males than females.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Yeah, that spraying the socks with Lysol thing only works up to three days of wearing the same pair.