Global Warming

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Tomas

Re: Global Warming

Post by Tomas »

Carl G wrote:Tomas,

Is there any particular reason you are replying to a 2-year-old post from a member who hasn't posted in 2 years?

Shits and giggles?
Her last post was January of last year.

Clearly you have nothing to offer with Elizabeth.

I'll have a go round with Elizabeth.

Buzz off, freakshow.
Don't run to your death
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

What?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Carl G wrote:And third, with your concerns about overpopulation, I'm not sure why you see global warming as such a bad thing.
Removing the factor of overpopulation would help the global warming issue. Life would be better for those left if the problems were removed.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Except that there is no humane way to reduce population fast enough to make a difference.
Forethought Venus Wednesday
Robert

Post by Robert »

vicdan wrote:Except that there is no humane way to reduce population fast enough to make a difference.
Mass voluntary suicide could be an option.
How? Say you have successive waves of thousands of people who are all given their worldy desires over a predetermined period of time, let's say a few weeks, where they can get laid, take all the drugs they want, eat and drink all they want etc, but when the end comes they all get terminated. Why not televise it? The ratings would be huge! It's a win-win situation, the future dead get what they want before they snuff it, the living get entertained. Ultimate Reality TV.
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

Robert wrote:
vicdan wrote:Except that there is no humane way to reduce population fast enough to make a difference.
Mass voluntary suicide could be an option.
Please show us the way by personal example.
Forethought Venus Wednesday
Robert

Post by Robert »

vicdan wrote:Please show us the way by personal example.
I have no worldly desires.
Tomas

The photo

Post by Tomas »

The photo Al Gore doesn't want you to see

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/photo-north-pole-submarine
Don't run to your death
Tomas

New Little Ice Age

Post by Tomas »

New Little Ice Age - Instead of Global Warming?

by Dr. Theodor Landscheidt

Schroeder Institute for Research in Cycles of Solar Activity
Waldmuenchen, Germany

Analysis of the sun's varying activity in the last two millenia indicates that contrary to the IPCC's speculation about man-made global warming as high as 5.8C within the next hundred years, a long period of cool climate with its coldest phase around 2030 is to be expected.

http://bourabai.narod.ru/landscheidt/new-e.htm
Don't run to your death
Tomas

"greatest scam in history"

Post by Tomas »

Weather Channel founder says global warming "greatest scam in history"

-snip-

John Coleman, founder of the Weather Channel says global warming is a "hoax" and "bad science"
and that Al Gore refuses to admit his cause is based on bad research. (see photo)

-Click URL for complete article-

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/weather-ch ... in-history
Don't run to your death
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

I can think of bigger scams. World War II, for one. Democracy in the U.S. for another.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Carl G wrote:I can think of bigger scams. World War II, for one. Democracy in the U.S. for another.
And the Apollo moon landing? Please, gimme a break.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Maybe the globe is warming because Aslan is coming.

Can't figure out why warming this cold planet is a bad thing.
Truth is a pathless land.
katvira

Post by katvira »

Is global warming hysteria pointless considering the next ice age is imminent? I believe in human caused global warming, but it's a consensus in the non-politically motivated community that interglacial periods last about 10,000-15,000 years. And the last glacial periods ended that long ago.

More Al Gore nonsense

Post by Tomas »

Tomas Note: I think Al Gore is dropping acid & smoking pot again.

Ps - Shah, time to flee Panama. Elizabeth, your house is now underwater!

Not finding any, Gore airbrushes in hurricanes for his new book

Note: see hurricane spinning clockwise just above Cuba

See Ron House comment, too .. http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/19/n ... s-new-book

Tomas wrote:.
The photo Al Gore doesn't want you to see http://www.ihatethemedia.com/photo-north-pole-submarine
Don't run to your death
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Scary timeline map of global warming. Lacks any detail, so is dependent of course on the quality of the base data.

Still I'd be hard pressed to say they who provide or prepared the base data could fudge figures across the world to such a great degree. Not that I could image the world wide conspiracy that others beleive in - I mean even China is giving the appearance of fully supporting measures to reduce atmospheric CO2.

http://www.smh.com.au/multimedia/enviro ... -k5vv.html

Post by 1456200423 »

veritas odium parit
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Jamesh wrote:Scary timeline map of global warming. Lacks any detail, so is dependent of course on the quality of the base data.

Still I'd be hard pressed to say they who provide or prepared the base data could fudge figures across the world to such a great degree. Not that I could image the world wide conspiracy that others beleive in - I mean even China is giving the appearance of fully supporting measures to reduce atmospheric CO2.

http://www.smh.com.au/multimedia/enviro ... -k5vv.html
Jimbo,
I take it you are from Down Under? The greatest problem IMO is your Great Coral Reef. All that loss of coral is not good at all.

As far as China goes, they ain't giving up anything on cap-n-trade. Ditto India. There is no real mineral base in China so they have to import so much of there raw material (with the rare mineral exception, which they are blessed with). They are prudently trading their US dollar holdings (such as Afghanistan's giant copper reserves and Venezuelan high-sulphur crude oil) while it has some sort of value. Canada is digging in its heels more than any other country. They haven't a choice though as they will/are unifying with USA and Mexico in some sort of.

Your "snapshot" timeline video > It'd be interesting what it would look like from the mid 1940s to early 1960s to see how the atomic/hydrogen bomb fireballs heated up sectors of the planet, namely over Russia, China, Australia, US and the Pacific testing areas......

PS - Great Britain blasted many in Australia. Google shows some really neat craters ;-/
Don't run to your death

Post by 1456200423 »

Tomas wrote: Great Britain blasted many in Australia. Google shows some really neat craters ;-/
Can nukelar fire be friendly?
veritas odium parit
Elizabeth Isabelle

Elizabeth Isabelle

New climate change tool from NOAA. Scroll down to see "Global Climate Dashboard."
Elizabeth Isabelle

NOAA's current article on ocean acidification as it relates to global warming.

With so much attention on how global warming affects human life, and that focus going to the land environment (because mostly humans live on land) it is easy to forget that what goes on in the ocean has a big impact on humanity too. Indeed, we are all One.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Climate Myths from Politicians
http://www.skepticalscience.com/skepticquotes.php

Pick the common theme. Who would have thunk it :)
Elizabeth Isabelle

I was looking for my original prediction because this looks kind of like what I think I remember predicting, but I can't find it. Oh well, this is interesting anyway:
Climate Catastrophe Will Hit Tropics Around 2020, Rest Of World Around 2047, Study Says
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

The Belle is back! Still following Dan around? ;-)

As for global warming, in my opinion the bigger danger for human kind is to run out of hot air. That's, admittedly, the lens through which I read a lot of material when anyone, including scientists, tries to invoke or promote some "doing about something". As if any human planning or "solution" on any large or "global" scale hasn't let to disaster as of yet, if not right away then on the slightly longer term! Causality, black swans and so on.

Anyway, one eye-opening proxy for the past temperature is the most recent GRIP2 ice-core analysis in Greenland. Some of the most recent reconstructions by the most prominent ice-core experts who suggests now to have higher accuracy than earlier work. The paper shows this interesting graphic.

Greenland is important as proxy as it generally seems to correlate with Northern Hemisphere temperature overall, unlike many other proxies of the past . It also captures the strange warming between 1919-1932, culminating in the 1930's having the most heat records in the US ever recorded.

This ties in with a project to collect more data on the mediaeval warming period as can be seen here MWP Online Map. Meaning more and more research is showing sudden "extreme" warming around the globe is also something from the past, leaving us with the question how much exactly is being added by current CO2 output of industry and transportation.