Post Your Opinion, Thanks.

Post questions or suggestions here.
AbsentMinded

Post Your Opinion, Thanks.

Post by AbsentMinded »

What do you think about Mental Illnesses? Have you ever been diagnosed witha Mental Illness? Have you had a relationship with a mentally ill person before?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

If you count mother/daughter relationships, yes. My daughter has a mental condition.

Now that I think about it, my exhusband must have been totally bipolar and paranoid.
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

I was diagnosed as having a Schizotypical Personality Disorder about four years ago. I don't think I have a personality disorder but that my personality is different from most peoples'.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Greg,

How did you end up getting diagnosed with the disorder?
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

My father phoned the police when he couldn't deal with me. They brought me to the hospital where I stayed for two days before I was discharged with the diagnosis.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

the definition of mental illness is fairly broad, for instance here are some common definitions:

1. the term that refers collectively to all mental disorders. Mental disorders are health conditions that are characterized by alterations in thinking, mood or behavior (or some combination thereof) associated with distress and/or impaired functioning.

2. A state of being in which an individual has difficulty in handling situations and feelings of an everyday nature. In certain instances, conditions are characterized by impairment of intellectual functions, the experience of shallow and unstable emotions, and difficulty in adapting to one's environment.

3. A broad range of disorders with psychological or behavioral symptoms and/or impairment in functioning due to a social, psychological, genetic, physical/chemical or biological disturbance.

Based on these defintions, I think it is safe to say that most people I know suffer from mental illness.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

I define mental illness as a habitually delusional worldview.

Whatever or whoever isn't totally unconscious, is: free of delusional habits, OR, wonky to some degree.

It's the greatest hereditary Nemesis of humankind. When shall we completely discard our sick forefathers' beliefs?

I've been diagnosed as "having" a prodromal psychotic illness and schizotypal personality disorder. The truth is, I have a deep desire to be truthful, to be awake to Nature, and I also had superstitious, repressive ancestors.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more aware I am that everyone seeking to become fully enlightened, has bugs and cancers in their worldview. Perhaps more should be written on exploring how to heal these problems, in tandem with orienting to Truth.

-
Kelly
Nature's slave

Post by Nature's slave »

I belive the first human to discover a mental disorder , probably discovered it in someone else.
It's the human nature to fear change , i.e. the existance of another entity who refueses to bind to thier belifs and prejudice , simply the mere existance of it, poses a threat.
They hurry to call them names , and flag them to the community , to rest assured that they will always be perceived as a plague and will always stay rejects.
Humans are amusing that way , why try to understand them , when it's easier to silence them.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Herd values guarantee that mental "disorders" are seen as things to be excised from society, or at least marginalised from it (though obviously certain behaviours need to be marginalised), even though we still grapple with the true nature of certain of these different ways of functioning. Of course, mental illness is a fairly complicated category of phenomena made more complex by the fact that no-one really understands Reality whilst thinking themselves normal and sane. "Sanity" is just a statistical term. It doesn't mean that much, in the end.
Katy

Post by Katy »

I've been diagnosed with everything under the sun while they tried to figure out what on earth was wrong with me. Childhood onset schizophrenia is so uncommon no one thinks of it. (1 in 40,000 - I win the bad luck lotto!) My aunt has the same.

As for what I think of it - I think it is overdiagnosed and overmedicated, at least in this country. I have a friend who was given zoloft because his parents divorced! I'd say that's situational depression (as did he and he refused...) Every difficult kid has ADHD and ritalin. And bipolar has become so fashionable that every moron under the sun thinks they can diagnose it in themselves or others without any medical advice!

True mental illness does exsist, but is much more rare than this society has made it out to be, which only adds to the difficulty that people have in getting adequate help.
-Katy
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Greg Shantz wrote:My father phoned the police when he couldn't deal with me.
What were you doing that your father thought he had to phone the police?
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

Kevin Solway wrote:
Greg Shantz wrote:My father phoned the police when he couldn't deal with me.
What were you doing that your father thought he had to phone the police?
Laughing at everthing he said.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Greg Shantz wrote:Laughing at everthing he said.
I can see your point. It was pretty funny that he called the police for being laughed at.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Unless his dad was saying, "Put the gun down. Put it down..."