The solution to poverty

Post questions or suggestions here.
Aaron Mathis

The solution to poverty

Post by Aaron Mathis »

Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Well, I don't know Aaron. Isn't the fun & entertainment industry a possible surge for the local economy there? At least the smiles on the children's faces might prevent the dark corners of terrorist aspiration or militant opposition to arise in their minds later on.

That was a bit of sarcasm.

But really, the last 'solution' applied there by 3rd parties (UK/US) was called Suharto and economically it worked wonders.

Millions had to die though to fuel the fires of that economy. Nowadays we'd call it genocide.

Is it absurd to conclude that wealth only comes after taking a blood bath, here or elsewhere - signing satan's contract? Peace is left then for the poor.

Aaron Mathis

Post by Aaron Mathis »

A mere surge in the economy is one thing, but carefully putting down the foundation for a stable, more intelligent economy that produces more educated children is another.

What I found funny was the way they showed (at the 23 sec mark) a kid bathing naked in the water, but with a smile on this face.

The next scene at the 26 sec mark then showed the kids with bright flashy clothes, stuck on the colorful ride, but their faces didnt have the slightest smile.

Money would be better spent on providing these kids with resources for drawing, coloring, theatre, playing games like tag, hide and go seek, hop-scotch, gymnastics, sports, etc.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Aaron Mathis wrote:A mere surge in the economy is one thing, but carefully putting down the foundation for a stable, more intelligent economy that produces more educated children is another.
Historically this foundation is laid down by some ruthless iron hand rule to restructure all aspects of society, or by some rare spontanious change in behavior bottom-up in the bowels of society.

Hey, it could all change starting right there, on that colorful ride. To me their faces seemed to express quite some excitement and there the foundation might have been put firmly in place: lets do it again! And again! Finally the drive to turn their whole life in one never-ending colorful ride with of course the drive to create an economy to support all this.

Aaron Mathis

Post by Aaron Mathis »

Hey Diebert,

Well, the fact of the matter is that the situation is as it is, so instead of me condemning the steps toward development, it might be worth trying to find a bright side.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that much good can come out of spending money on something that produces such stupifiying thought/emotions. Children should feel enjoyment and happiness by doing more physically and mentally active activities that serve as a foundation for more mature and less feeble actions. But maybe the profits made from these rides will be invested intelligently. I'll admit, I don't know enough about the situation to really have too good of opinion. But I think I have some reasonable suspicions.
HUNTEDvsINVIS

Post by HUNTEDvsINVIS »

i don't understand. I don't have the sound function of the video. the kids pay for the rides? which would mean that money is just passed on from one poor person to another. it's not about the banal lack of educational provision for me, but about the capitalsit pretence. over-all the poverty levels will stay the same. Plus it isn't absurd that these kids don't draw, or play hop-scotch ( which they probably do ten thousand times a day anyway ) or study because the capitalist provider of the rides only found this immediate oppertunity to make money and probably doesn't know much about providing more educational services. The world has better means to profit but this is HIS IMMEDIATE means. Revamping the ride machines etc. is stuff he understands and can profit from quickly and easily. Rather critisice the rich people in Indonesia who grow fat on their money in their big homes who have more effective finances to support the poor yet don't. Plus what's wrong with kids having pointless fun once in a while? I mean, look at that place! if you have to concentrate on that sh$T around you the whole time...I would need cocaine to get through my days there!! Remember, the fun people aren't always educated, but the educated aren't always fun people! Sometimes, you gotta let go a little.
AbsentMinded

life...

Post by AbsentMinded »

Its a cycle...More intelligent people ponder the same thing....That is people that have more knowledge upon these 'facts'.

Its like asking for a solution for evil...

Is it me or are some of you talking about issues that you do not fully understand...?
ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

Absent,
Is it me or are some of you talking about issues that you do not fully understand...?
If folks were to limit their discussions to those issues they "fully understand", then I'm afraid that there wouldn't be much to talk about at all. I think the issue of poverty is incredibly important, and see every reason to encourage everyone to discuss it who cares to. Particularly those people who live in a democracy, and thus have some (however limited) power over the tools that could perhaps be used to combat such a thing. Those that tend to concede the privilege of thought to others they view as more "authoritative" are doing little more then lobotomizing themselves. You will find few matters where men of learning do not disagree.