Sabri Brothers

Post questions or suggestions here.
MKFaizi

Sabri Brothers

Post by MKFaizi »

Sabri Brothers

Here is a video of my thirteen uncles/cousins digging in the groove on Pakistan Bandstand back in the early sixties. Gotta love 'em. Pure doo wop and grease -- Faisalabad Graffitti.

You can easily spot the Indian of the group -- Jimmy Carl Sabri -- dude with the deep bass "ALLAH!"

It's got a good beat and you can dance to it -- kind of like reggae --

We're spammin'. Spammin'. I wanna spam it with you. You know we like spammin.' You know we like spammin.' We're spammin we're spammin' we're spammin' we're spammin.' Hope you like spammin', too!

How 'bout them fezes?

Real Marley, aren't they?

I can see the musical now --

Fez is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got a groove, it's got a meaning
Fez is the time, is the place, is the motion
Fez is the way we are feeling

Gotta get Ossama a fez..

We're spammin..I hope you like spammin, too!

Fezi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Love those chicks on the first row. My sister in laws and aunts -- Sabri Sisters.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

These were the Beach Boys of southwestern Asia. Never recognized by the west and we wonder why Muslims are so pissed off.

War on terror, hell.

It's the music, stupid.

Shaheena Faizi
Blair

Post by Blair »

Wow, that is amazing. There were people, who did certain things, and begat others who copied them, and this became a culture! I am blown away. I thought all humans were exactly the same, wore the same clothes and liked the same music and so on. This is such a revelation.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Poop wrote:
I thought all humans were exactly the same, wore the same clothes and liked the same music and so on.
Dear Poop,

All humans are exactly the same and wear the same clothes and like the same music.

I mean, DUH.

Like, why don't you order a fez or something, like? Or shave your pin head? Or, like, grow your fur down to your waist, and, then, like, comb it into a pompadour? Or grow your hair down to your waist and be a hippeeee?

Then, like, you can grow your hair medium length and strap a bomb to your waist and, like, blow yourself up in the nearest desert.

Maybe, you can become a Mason or a member of the Carlisle Group.

Here's my advice: Order a fez. Then, walk naked as hell through a small Missouri town and sing a quaali or two. If you get through that, like, tie your short hair in a pony tail and take a walk down K Street carrying a sign saying, "Death to Muslims."

You are such a tough dude, Prince. Give any of these things a try.

Then walk down the streets of Faisalabad dressed as an American.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Faizi
Blair

Post by Blair »

Pfft. what a blowhard waste of space you are.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Dear Stupid Asshole,

That was exactly the point. It was spam.

Unfortunately, the irony was lost on your pin head.

No matter. I am going to watch the Sabri Brothers and dig in the groove.

We're spammin we're spammin we're spammin we're spammin
I hope you like spammin too
We want to spam it with you.

Not familiar with Bob Marley, I reckon, or "Grease." Culturally deprived bitch, I reckon.

Spammin spammin I want to spam it with you.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

The girls on the front row -- Sabri Sisters. Back in the day, they had a singing group called the Punjabi Ho's. Their hit single was a record called "Hoodahavas Akeem."

Flash forward to the Dixie Chicks singing "Goodbye Earl."

Way, way behind the time. Punjabi women have been disposing of their abusive husbands for hundreds of years. New thing for American women but we're learning. That's why the Ho's is cool with the plagerism.

It's a girl thing.

Goodbye Earl.

Faizi
DrPostman

Post by DrPostman »

If you are familiar with Pakistani music perhaps you can tell
me the name of some musicians who merged techno with
local music in the late 90s. I used to have about a half
dozen mp3's by them and I lost them in a crash. Now I
can't remember the name of the band, but it was really
good grooves.

Jamie
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

DrPostman wrote: some musicians who merged techno with local music in the late 90s.
Are you thinking of Muslimgauze? I'm sure there were others.
DrPostman

Post by DrPostman »

DHodges wrote:
DrPostman wrote: some musicians who merged techno with local music in the late 90s.
Are you thinking of Muslimgauze? I'm sure there were others.
That might be them. I'll do some searching for their
work tonight when I get home and see. Thanks.

Jamie
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Sounds like Junoon. They did techno versions of Sufi music -- qwaalis.

If you like Paki music, please listen to Abida Parveen. Very masculine female voice. I assume you are familiar with Nusrat.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Could have been Peoples Colony -- recorded with Temple of Sound.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I had never heard of Muslimgauze so I looked it up.

Muslimgauze was a Britisher who died in 1999. His music was not Pakistani. He was interested in Middle Eastern music and politics.

Junoon and Peoples Colony are both Pak groups.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Forgive me. The name of the album was Peoples Colony No. 1.

This was recorded by Rizwan-Muazzam with the Temple of Sound.

Faizi
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

It is interesting that all niggers sound the same, regardless of the culture.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Jamesh wrote:
It is interesting that all niggers sound the same, regardless of the culture
Naturally, we niggers stick together. We all sound alike -- Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Cage, Stravinsky, Beach Boys, the Shangrilas, Hendrix, Vai, Vaughn, the Grateful Dead, Zappa, Sinatra, Beatles -- you name 'em. We all sound alike. ACDC, Chili Peppers, Coe, all Hank Williams, Cohen. Ray Charles. Dylan.

Writers and players and singers of music are all niggers.

It's a club thing.

All niggers bay at the moon.

Niggers baying at the moon is called music.

Faizi
DrPostman

Post by DrPostman »

Turns out it was Muslimgauze. At least I am pretty sure
it was. What I could find I like and I'll probably get one
of their albums.

Thanks again.

Jamie
DHodges

Music

Post by DHodges »

MKFaizi wrote: The name of the album was Peoples Colony No. 1.
I have that album. It's good. Very spirited singing, good percussion.

I got one Junoon album, but it did nothing for me; it sounded kind of like American pop music, sung in a different language.

Muslimgauze was not a 'group', really, it was just this one guy. He put out an insane number of recordings. He did stuff that sounds techno, but apparently he was vehemently opposed to using computers, and did it all with tape loops and such, so it ends up (probably deliberately) lo-fi and distorted. It's mostly instrumental, with a word or two thrown in here and there, and some odd breaks. Supposedly the music was written in response to various political things that happened in Palestine, or something. Frankly, I have to say, I don't get it, but apparently he has a sort of cult following.

But (for Jamie) I can recommend the album Tala Matrix from Tabla Beat Science. This has some hot tabla playing, mixed in with some electronic beeps and boops. It's a Bill Laswell project, so if you know him, you know whether you want to check that out or not. (To me, if Bill Laswell is involved in something, it's going to be interesting and worth checking out; YMMV.)

One thing that's been spending a ridiculous amount of time in my CD player is The Rough Guide to Bollywood. It has some stuff from Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhonsle, among others. It's just very catchy. It's made me want to watch Bollywood movies.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Dave,

Lose the hat, man, please, lose the hat...........
Chadwick Stone

Re: Music

Post by Chadwick Stone »

DHodges wrote:One thing that's been spending a ridiculous amount of time in my CD player is The Rough Guide to Bollywood. It has some stuff from Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhonsle, among others. It's just very catchy. It's made me want to watch Bollywood movies.
Speaking of Bollywood, Rajkumar passed away in April. He was so celebrated that there was some rioting as a result.
Pye

Post by Pye »

*rof . . . . lol*, not at you, DHodges, or the hat, really - just at the great smacking clarity of expression in Dan's few words . . . .

MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Dave Hodges,

I agree with you about Junoon. Decent effort, I reckon but does not quite get it. I listened to them with Buster once and he said, "Well, I kind of like it but I don't." I know what he means. Just does not do it. He said part of the reason is because there is no distortion. That could be part of it -- just something lacking. No volume or fullness. Their version of one of my favorite songs, "Dam dam Mast Qalander" is very thin. Abida Parveen does this best, I think.

The Peoples' Colony album is good. Very big sound.

Cool. You took my suggestions for listening to Indo/Pak music. Lata is -- the immortal Lata. Quite a voice. Still like Abida Parveen the best.

Needless to say, I have watched tons and tons of Bollywood movies. Once, I was tired of watching Bollywood movies, absently let my husband and his brother and nephew travel to Camp David. It was so wonderful to be alone and no Bollywood and no Punjabi men that it did not occur to me that they should not be driving around Camp David until the Secret Service dudes appeared on the doorstep.

That was in 1990. The SS searched the house and questioned the Paks, took their pictures, told them to never go near Camp David again and to not go to the Bush Daddy Baltimore rally the next day.

Imagine what would happen now to brown men driving near Camp David.

Gitmo, I reckon.

"Hoodahavas, Akeem."

Could have been a great Bollywood movie.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

How can he lose the hat? He's Pimp Daddy Dave.

Besides, it's real Bollywood.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Actually, I have heard Muslimgauze. He used Nusrat on his electronics. Good renditions of qwaalis. Nusrat on steroids. I simply did not know the name, Muslimgauze.

Ever heard any of Nusrat with Peter Gabriel?

I think that Jamie will like Peoples Colony No. 1.

Faizi