YOU decide...

Post questions or suggestions here.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Shardrol wrote:
My guess would be that the brain chemicals influence mood & that mood influences brain chemicals & there are various ways of dealing with it, coming from either side.
Clinical depression has nothing to do with mood. I can be in the best mood in the world and I will still be depressed.

Nature of the beast.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Hit me baby one more time

Post by MKFaizi »

Well, naturally, I turned her off. I have that charm and I am sincerely sorry for that -- I have respect for Shardrol -- but I have no choice but to write truth as I know it. Yes, it sucks. Yes, of course, I am a bitch. I am stupid. I don't know anything. I have trouble with those who could lead me to spiritual enlightenment. I have a problem being led. I don't like a ring through my nose.

Shardrol cautioned me to examine my own glass house. I do not even have glass as a barrier. I am open -- wide open -- out there with the wind. Like a pigeon

A pigeon is a pretty easy target. I have no problem taking hits. I have taken tons of 'em here. Stupid enough to come back for more.

We were having a pretty serious discussion about the reality of depression. I know a fair amount about depression. It is not something someone tried to put on me twenty years ago. It is something that I had to learn that I could not just toss off -- kind of like a cancerous intestinal polyp cannot just be tossed off.

I am sorry that Shardrol skipped out on that discussion. I think it became too serious for her and too close to home.

I see nothing wrong with clinging to Buddhism if it will save your life. But I do think that, eventually, you will have to face the man in the mirror.

I do think that Zoloft and other medications mask deepening depression. I also think the following of gurus and spritual teachers mask it. I think that following teachers and gurus might mask deep seated depression even more than medication.

At least, I am not religious. I have no savior, no teacher. I have no faith in psychology. Little faith in medicine.

I have no problem admitting that if I did not take Zoloft, I might be dead. Not something I like but it is the truth.

I would say the same thing, I reckon, if I was Christian or Buddhist; if I had teachers that sustained me.

The fallacy of religion; of teachers; of gurus; is that one cannot admit one's dependence. One deludes himself that he is better than someone who might have to take medication for depression.

Kind of like Tom Cruise and Scientology.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Got 'em drop 'em

Post by MKFaizi »

How 'bout that Zarquoi? Huh?

What a martyr! Five hundred pounds not enough to make sure he was dead. Dropped another.

What a man.

Like it is going to stop the frickin' war; the insurgency.

I loathe George Bush but I would like to see a successful Iraqi government and populace at least on a par with Jordan. I just know the differences between Sunni and Sh'ite. Almost the same divide as Muslim and Hindu.

Sh'ites are the majority in Iraq.

Despite everything, it would be heartening to see Iraq to come to civilization. They have the potential.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Presto changeo

Post by MKFaizi »

How do you define magic?

No, I do not believe in magic. An entirely romantic notion.

Faizi
Shardrol

Re: Hit me baby one more time

Post by Shardrol »

MKFaizi wrote:Well, naturally, I turned her off. I have that charm and I am sincerely sorry for that -- I have respect for Shardrol -- but I have no choice but to write truth as I know it. Yes, it sucks. Yes, of course, I am a bitch. I am stupid. I don't know anything.
Your 'truth' is your subjectivity - nothing more. I am presenting my subjectivity too, but at least I don't delude myself that it's truth. We can exchange subjectivities forever to no purpose. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

I have trouble with those who could lead me to spiritual enlightenment. I have a problem being led. I don't like a ring through my nose.
I have a problem with the way you persist in your beliefs about things of which you have no experience, & are impervious to even grasping the concept of another view. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

Shardrol cautioned me to examine my own glass house. I do not even have glass as a barrier. I am open -- wide open -- out there with the wind. Like a pigeon.
Yes we know all about your life but your mind is as closed as any I've ever encountered. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

A pigeon is a pretty easy target. I have no problem taking hits. I have taken tons of 'em here. Stupid enough to come back for more.
I've been here a long time & I'd say you've given way more than you've received.

We were having a pretty serious discussion about the reality of depression.
No we weren't. You were pontificating about depression & trampling any different view, as is your wont. Because when you believe something, it is 'true' in your world. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

I know a fair amount about depression. It is not something someone tried to put on me twenty years ago. It is something that I had to learn that I could not just toss off -- kind of like a cancerous intestinal polyp cannot just be tossed off.
You make a lot of (wrong) assumptions about me from the fact that I said 20 years ago I was diagnosed with depression. But it would take so much time to correct you & you would never believe I could know as much as you anyway, because your knowledge is 'true'. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

I am sorry that Shardrol skipped out on that discussion. I think it became too serious for her and too close to home.
Think what you like. The last time I was on this forum I decided I was not going to get into anymore discussions with you because of your bullying style, your self-righteous conviction that all your opinions are 'truth' & the way you seem unable to grasp, even conceptually, another way of seeing things. That's why the discussion seemed futile. I should have left it at that.

I see nothing wrong with clinging to Buddhism if it will save your life.
Buddhism actually had nothing to do with dealing with my depression of 20 years ago. It was before I became a Buddhist. But you always think you know. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

But I do think that, eventually, you will have to face the man in the mirror.
And because you know everything, you know that that day has not yet come for me. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

I do think that Zoloft and other medications mask deepening depression. I also think the following of gurus and spritual teachers mask it. I think that following teachers and gurus might mask deep seated depression even more than medication.
It's certainly possible. But I didn't become a Buddhist till after I had been through the process of recovering from depression, so it's irrelevant.

But just so you have something you can sling arrows at in your next post, I'll mention that what helped my depression was 5 1/2 years of intensive (3 times a week) psychotherapy. So take aim at a different target next time. Tell me how if just blathering about it for 5 years ("My god, 5 years, you must be a longwinded bitch! I could never talk for 5 years", etc etc) could change it it couldn't have been real depression, not the big hairy kind that you & David Hodges have [he must have the real thing too because he takes medication]. I was probably just in a snit or a bad mood or something cause no one asked me to the prom, right?

At least, I am not religious. I have no savior, no teacher. I have no faith in psychology. Little faith in medicine.
That's why I wrote my post about how 20 years ago I was too proud to take medication. I thought you could relate to that kind of thinking. I didn't realize that the way I wrote it didn't make it clear that I no longer think that way but when David Hodges asked me about it, I clarified it. I did appreciate his approach more than your chest-beating ("Oh yeah? Well I think blah blah blah blah, I know blah blah blah blah, I would never blah blah blah blah, at least I blah blah blah blah" etc etc]. He seemed interested in understanding why I thought the way I did rather than making sure I knew I was wrong.

I have no problem admitting that if I did not take Zoloft, I might be dead. Not something I like but it is the truth.

I would say the same thing, I reckon, if I was Christian or Buddhist; if I had teachers that sustained me.
Get off this soapbox already - it's the wrong one. You should be condescending to me because of psychotherapy, not Buddhism. It wasn't my teacher who dragged my pathetic dependent self into the light, it was my therapist.

If you understood what I said in my post to David Hodges you'd know that I don't think the way I did 20 years ago anymore. I don't look down on people who take medications like Zoloft. I agree that a chemical approach to depression is the best thing for a lot of people & I don't sneer at them because of it. I was just explaining in my original post how I used to feel differently & attempting to point out the irony of you continually taking pot-shots at people who call someone their teacher while doing something (taking Zoloft) that other dogmatic egomaniacs might view the same way, i.e. as a crutch. But you couldn't understand that because it involved seeing a point of view other than your own - even just for a second. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

The fallacy of religion; of teachers; of gurus; is that one cannot admit one's dependence. One deludes himself that he is better than someone who might have to take medication for depression.
Here's that reading comprehension thing again. Yup, 20 years ago I thought I was better than people who took medication. I would also have thought I was better than people who had a guru, but that wasn't part of my world at the time. Here's the point that has eluded you: I was demonstrating how someone could view your choices in the same contemptuous way you view mine, & using my past self as an example of that. The glass house was the fact of your making use of one 'crutch' while sneering at another.

For some reason you could not understand my point, & probably still don't. That's why the discussion seemed futile.

Kind of like Tom Cruise and Scientology.
Yes, exactly. We have liftoff. Allah hoo!

The only problem is I don't think that way anymore.

End of futile discussion.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I figured you would bitch me out. Usual pattern.

If it helps at all -- and I seriously doubt that it will -- I am sincerely sorry and apologetic for being such a pathetic excuse for a human being. I don't know what else to say because I will always be a chest beating ape in your eyes. I could write anything and that would still be the case.

David Hodges could write the same things that I write and you would not see him as a chest beating ape. You don't know him as well as you do me so you perceive him as more reasonable, nicer. He is the nice boy from down the block. I am the annoying shit who will narc you out.

I am a chest beating ape and will always be a chest beating ape. Though I have made considerable effort to change, nothing has changed in eight years of writing here. I knew truth eight years ago. I know it better now. Little change.

I am truly sorry to piss you off, Shardrol. You know a lot. You are highly intelligent. I have no doubt of your superiority to me.

I still think you are denying much about depression. Zoloft is a pharmaceutical mask that allows me to function. I think that masking is dangerous. The cancer of depression grows even though the symptoms are masked. Sooner or later, I am going to have to deal with it head on. Not going to be pretty. I have had some previews.

I think the same will be true for those who mask depression with gurus and teachers. Eventually, you are going to have to deal with the silt and the tide.

I know you despise my truth. But it is not my truth.

Believe it or not, I am not some monkey screaming from the brush. I know what I am saying. It is your perception that I am beating my chest. It is your perception that I am a chest beating ape and that analysis is old hat.

I am as reasonable as the nice boy. You just hate me and that makes the difference.

Faizi

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I do sneer at the choice of a teacher of Buddhism as a way to overcome depression because the assumption of choosing Buddhism over a prescription drug is that the Buddhist makes his own way by his own volition. I do not think that is true.

I resent the idea that one is better because one does not take Prozac or Zoloft or whatever drug. The supposition of Buddhism is enlightenment. Zoloft has no such promise. Gurus and teachers teach enlightenment. Zoloft does not.

I do not believe that enlightenment can be taught. I do not believe one can become enlightened by following.

Faizi
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

How do you define magic?

No, I do not believe in magic. An entirely romantic notion.

Faizi
I can't really define magic.
But belief in it seems no more unreasonable and romantic than in mercy.

Why do I feel so close to you? I'd really like to hear your laughter.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Mercy has no magic. My guess is that you have no idea what it is like to work closely with the health and financial problems of humans.

Mercy is the choosing to not kill. I always choose that. I choose to not let a human die or any other creature die by my hand.

Magic is sleight of hand. Foolery.

I rarely laugh and when I do laugh, it is laughter of derision and pessimism.

I doubt that you would like it.

You feel close to me kind of like you feel close to a skunk.

Faizi
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Mercy is the choosing to not kill. I always choose that. I choose to not let a human die or any other creature die by my hand.
You say you don't expect it, and yet you believe in it? I have never killed anyone either.
Magic is sleight of hand. Foolery.
Sometimes. Sometimes it's deadly serious.
I rarely laugh and when I do laugh, it is laughter of derision and pessimism.
I doubt that you would like it.
I bet I would. All laughter seems related to me.
You feel close to me kind of like you feel close to a skunk.

Faizi
:D O I just feel close to you is all.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Sure wrote:
You say you don't expect it, and yet you believe in it? I have never killed anyone either.
You did not read what I wrote.

Faizi
Jason

Post by Jason »

MKFaizi wrote:Mercy is the choosing to not kill. I always choose that. I choose to not let a human die or any other creature die by my hand.
You still eat meat though right?
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

I did read what you wrote Marsha.

About Zoloft dreams--
are they violent? Nightmares?
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Yes, I am a hypocrite and I eat meat even though I could not stand to kill it myself. I get your point, Jason. I am a hypocrite.

No, Zoloft dreams are not nightmares. Far from it. They are always peaceful. Not serene but peaceful. Here is an example and I will make it brief: Hundreds of people descend on my lawn and begin working on various things. I go up on the roof to see what the workmen are doing up there. I speak with the foreman. We exchange some words and, then, I say, "Well, I reckon you don't know about that."

I point to a cement enclosure in the backyard -- very deep enclosure with a high cement wall. Just as I point, a gigantic elephant puts its head over the wall. Beautiful elephant -- very detailed look at his skin -- all the pores. He is a painted elephant -- has three rows of red paint on each cheek; huge hoop earrings in his ears and his tusks are pierced with jewels. Just a very intriguing visual image. Beautiful elephant. Gorgeous tapestry on his back; his tail entwined with pearls.

Another segment of the same dream involved a wild cat, a black wolf, and a coyote. I encountered these animals on a path known to me in my area of Virginia -- deeply wooded. Someone who was with me told me that these animals belong to a man who died about five months back. The one I recall the most was the wild cat. He was more than real -- surreal -- more detail than one would ever notice in waking life. More like a virtual wild cat than a natural one. Kind of like he was computer enhanced. Beautiful color. His shape was like a wild cat but like a virtual wild cat. Surreal.

Also, the woods were familiar to me but also seemed enhanced -- like far more detailed noting of particular leaves than one would ever notice in waking life. Kind of like the beginning of an LSD trip -- before everything melts down completely.

Years ago, when I first took Zoloft, I had the most wonderful dream of floating in a tube on a beautiful turqoise sea.

The best thing about these dreams is that they are utterly impersonal and meaningless. You awake from them with memory of the color and the detailed visual images. But there is detachment. Like you are an observer not a participant.

The fact that there was a made up elephant in my back yard means nothing. Pure visual entertainment.

I would prefer not to take Zoloft or any other anti-depressant but I do enjoy the dreams. Beautiful images.

Faizi
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Marsha:
I am not suicidal. But the thought of Zoloft dreams forever is tempting.
I would prefer not to take Zoloft or any other anti-depressant but I do enjoy the dreams. Beautiful images.

Well, I reckon you don't know about that.
Jason

Post by Jason »

MKFaizi wrote: Yes, I am a hypocrite and I eat meat even though I could not stand to kill it myself. I get your point, Jason. I am a hypocrite.

Maybe you should become a vegetarian.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I should but I am too big of a hypocrite to do that. I drive in order not to kiil deer with my car but, if a hunter offers me deer meat, I am glad to eat it. I love venison.

Just today, I braked from fifty five miles an hour to avoid hitting a ground hog. I brake for possum. I brake for squirrels. I would probably brake for an ant.

But I like the taste of meat. I will buy meat from a grocer. I have eaten lamb and goat and cow's feet, even. I love to eat shrimp and crab and lobster. I hate the thought of killing these things. I have never bought a live lobster and cooked it. I have never steamed my own crabs.

When my son was a little boy, he loved to eat lamb. One day, I asked him, "Buster, could you kill a little lamb for its meat?"

He said, "Yes, I would put a bullet right between its eyes."

Far more honest than his mother. I also love the taste of lamb. But I could not kill the creature myself.

I am a meat hypocrite.

Faizi
Jason

Post by Jason »

MKFaizi wrote:I should but I am too big of a hypocrite to do that.
The impression I have gotten from you over the years is that one of your main goals is to remove hypocrisy from yourself. Do you agree that is the case? Have you just given up and accepted being a hypocrite about meat?
Last edited by Jason on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chadwick Stone

Re: YOU decide...

Post by Chadwick Stone »

Cato wrote:A test on choices...

The role:

You are a husband

The situation:

You are unhappy with your life. This unhappiness is harming your marriage and causing your child to feel alarmed that Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce. Therapy has not worked and your wife is at the end of her rope.

The choices:

1- You can take prozac. This makes you happy enough to stay stable and allow your child to continue growing up with an intact (though perhaps somewhat imperfect) home and a wife that can get along better with you.

2- You do not take prozac and you end up divorced. Your child has a broken home. Your wife is uprooted. You might end up happy in the end, but you at least know this particular problem is solved for yourself.

Which do you chose and why?
Prozac should only be administered when a qualified medical doctor makes a diagnosis that indicates the drug.

Drugs, too often are administered as a quick fix to treat symptoms and if the patient responds in a positive manner, the drug is then regarded as a cure, the patient becomes an addict, and the notion that a chemical crutch can cure "the blues" or other negative emotions is reinforced.

If there are marital problems, the underlying problem is likely found within the relationship and the only real cure is for the couple to fearlessly search for the root of these problems. Having a child complicates matters but the solution is still going to be a study of the relationship dynamic.
Shade

How?

Post by Shade »

It is completely and utterly impossible to answer that question based on the fact that mine and everyone's logic is COMPLETELY based on emotion.
Shade

oops

Post by Shade »

I apolagize fo interrupting the current thread i did not notice the second page. I was answering the very first question. :)
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

Cato wrote:A test on choices...

The role:

You are a husband

The situation:

You are unhappy with your life. This unhappiness is harming your marriage and causing your child to feel alarmed that Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce. Therapy has not worked and your wife is at the end of her rope.

The choices:

1- You can take prozac. This makes you happy enough to stay stable and allow your child to continue growing up with an intact (though perhaps somewhat imperfect) home and a wife that can get along better with you.

2- You do not take prozac and you end up divorced. Your child has a broken home. Your wife is uprooted. You might end up happy in the end, but you at least know this particular problem is solved for yourself.

Which do you chose and why?
Don't take Prozac for the marriage, though I am sure it makes it easier on a daily basis. Learn to control your emotions, because you are not really in a depressed state. Just unhappy.

Personally, I waited until my daughter was about 9 years old and we could hold a conversation and have a real relationship. At that point, I told my wife to Fuck Off and I left. Best decision I ever made. Two years later, my daughter lives with me now, my EX gets to act like she's 22, and everyone is the better for it.

It helps to maintain an amicable relationship with the EX. I think of her like a coworker, in a way, which helps me to flush all the negativity of 10 years with her. I am very polite.
Tomas

Middle-age is truly depressing

Post by Tomas »

STUDY: Middle-age is truly depressing

Middle age is truly depressing, according to a study using data from 80 countries showing that depression is most common among men and women in their forties.

"It happens to men and women, to single and married people, to rich and poor, and to those with or without children," Oswald sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080129/lf_ ... ion_age_dc

DHodges

Post by DHodges »

Tomas, why do you keep reviving threads from like two years ago?
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

DHodges wrote:Tomas, why do you keep reviving threads from like two years ago?

As the article sez:

You must be in your forties...

I (Tomas) hit "a bump" in my forties ... the depression thingy.

A simple word-search on genius (worldly) keyed me to the most appropriate thread. I done did research on that thread hit the big kahuna and a-la!

ps- Put me on your "ignore" list.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971