The diet of a philosopher

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

The diet of a philosopher

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Warning: Another one of CP's vulgar jokes. If you have a weakness to curse words and feminine men, please do not read on. Go back to reading the deeper threads where you're pure innocent mind is safe.

Some dude in a rusty pickup truck pulls up to the drive thru window at a local fast food restaurant. There are empty Jimmy Beam whiskey bottles scattered along his floor.

Dude: (raspy voice): Yeah gimme aaa…. Two big macs, a large fry, actually supersize that muther, and aaa…a large coke… NO! WAIT! A large chocolate milkshake and supersize that fucker too, and throw in some of those bon bons….yeah I love dem bon bons….

Order window (nerdy voice): Sir, we no longer carry bon bons…

Dude: What?! What the fuck happened to the bon bons?

Order window: Sir, that was a limited promotion…

Dude: Ah fuck……(long pause)…

Order window: Sir, was there anything else you wanted today?

Dude: whatever, just make it quick…

Order window: so you do want something else or you don’t?

Dude: just give me the damn bill!!

Order window: oh..k...$13.42 drive thru….

--------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, what is a philosopher to eat? A philosopher is hungry for truth, but he is also just plain hungry…

To your mind what is the ideal diet of the sage....
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Wed May 31, 2006 9:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
R. Steven Coyle

Post by R. Steven Coyle »

Water in a flask, Some BLTs. Black licorice gum. Stew.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Depends on your definition of sage.
- Scott
frank

Post by frank »

CP wrote:
Parsley, Rosemary & Thyme....hehe

frank
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Low fat, low cholesterol diet.

Low carbs. Good protein.

Well, I reckon starvation two weeks out of the month might do it.

For purification, eat nothing but lamb, rice, and pears for a month.

Never ingest anything with an ingredient list you cannot pronounce or identify.

Drink a ton of water and eat raw vegetables and fruits in large quantities.

But if you have diarrhea, you might have a yeast infection of the bowels. You might have a parasite.

Well, it all gets a little crazy.

Eat red meat in low moderation. Do not eat bread or pasta. Eat some fish and chicken -- if you can get organic -- REALLY ORGANIC -- meat or chicken. Eat tons of fruit and vegetables. Eat legumes and beans. Small quantities of rice. Eat some almonds for snacks. Take fish oil supplements. Take B complex vitamins. Take COQ10.

There you go.

Faizi
Ritzbitts

Post by Ritzbitts »

"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander."
-Matthew 15:17-19

It doesn't matter what a "sage" eats, so long as he is a sage. As such, there is no ideal diet for a sage.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

MKFaizi wrote:
Low fat, low cholesterol diet.
Low carbs. Good protein.
Drink a ton of water and eat raw vegetables and fruits in large quantities.

Eat red meat in low moderation. Do not eat bread or pasta. Eat some fish and chicken -- if you can get organic -- REALLY ORGANIC -- meat or chicken. Eat tons of fruit and vegetables. Eat legumes and beans. Small quantities of rice. Eat some almonds for snacks. Take fish oil supplements. Take B complex vitamins. Take COQ10.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, well, well, looks like we have a fellow nutritionist on our hands...

First of all, here is my primary diet, and I know it has flaws, but I'm working on it.

Lots of water, fruits and vegetables.
2 bowls of oats/whole wheat combo everyday
seeds (flax, sunflower), nuts.
other grains (rice, millet,
fruit juices, decaf organic teas.
pastas, eggs, beans,
sometimes fish.

Things I don't eat:

Anything with refined white sugar (75% of everything in the grocery store)
red meat
chicken
beef
dairy
pop
chocolate
ice cream
vitamins in pill form (paranoid)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now why no bread or pasta? why small quantities of rice?
Why low carbs? I think I already know the answer to this, but I want to hear it from you, honesty I think I have an attachment to carbs.

Take fish oil supplements - omega 3 fats right?

Take B complex vitamins - why is this vitamin important?

Take COQ10 - what the hell is this Faizi?!

Rizzbits wrote:
It doesn't matter what a "sage" eats, so long as he is a sage. As such, there is no ideal diet for a sage.
I disagree, for the mnd to function to its highest capacity, the body must be given the highest quality foods, there is an intimate connection between mind and body.

Surely this is just common knowledge?
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I disagree, for the mnd to function to its highest capacity, the body must be given the highest quality foods, there is an intimate connection between mind and body.

Surely this is just common knowledge?

That's true. It doesn't follow that if you eat healthy you'll be a good thinker, though. Good thought is nourished by truth, not by fish oils alone.

A while back, someone on the forum linked me to this website: http://www.westonaprice.org

It has some interesting stuff, that I recommend.

I don't recommend eating a diet low in fat. I do recommend eating a diet that's normal in every way possible. If someone asks, "How much fat should I eat?" I will tell them, "a normal amount." Carbs? A normal amount. Protein? A normal amount.

Exercise? Go for normal. Organic or pesticide ridden?

...well for that I tell them "Pick the produce that looks the most normal."

Normal is a good indicator of a good diet.
- Scott
Cato

Post by Cato »

I find most subsist on pabulum while convincing themselves they are having a sumptuous feast! Many are eating rehash, the same stuff a hundred philosophers had before them when it tasted better and had more nutrition. All too often they are chocking down gruel when they thought they had pudding.

I say we eat like Dr. Samuel Johnson. Eat everything. Gorge yourself. Why not? Life is here to enjoy. But don't complain when you get gout and die of heart failure.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Scott wrote:
Normal is a good indicator of a good diet.
I would suggest listening to the body is a better indicator, this seems to be a full proof method in determining whether of not ones diet is out of balance.

this is why I suggested I eat too many carb-riched foods because the body slows down, it becomes sluggish.

It takes a lot of energy to break down carbs and the body suffers for it.

So the body will tell you when it is out of balance….

however this can only happen if there is physical sensitivity in the organism, but this sensitivity tends to be dulled by feminine attachments.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Cosmic Prostitute,

I would suggest listening to the body is a better indicator, this seems to be a full proof method in determining whether of not ones diet is out of balance.

Listening to the body is part of having a normal diet. If you feel weird, you're obviously not normal.

this is why I suggested I eat too many carb-riched foods because the body slows down, it becomes sluggish.

You're just brainwashed. Carbs aren't bad. People on low glycemic diets are wrong, too. Anything that is something, isn't normal, and you will end up not feeling normal.

It takes a lot of energy to break down carbs and the body suffers for it.

So the body will tell you when it is out of balance….

The body tells you what it wants, and what it's had enough of...but that isn't a good indicator. It can want sugar, so you feed it sugar, then it tells you it doesn't want sugar. ONLY following your body's fluctuations isn't smart.

You seem to think carbs are bad. Do you have a lot of mental clarity when you cut out carbs completely? I doubt it. I know that I didn't have much clarity back when I cut out carbs...or even when I only ate low glycemic.

Now I eat normal, and I think it's the best approach.

however this can only happen if there is physical sensitivity in the organism, but this sensitivity tends to be dulled by feminine attachments.

What do you know about feminine attachments?
- Scott
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Scott wrote:
Do you have a lot of mental clarity when you cut out carbs completely?
I didn’t say completely, what I’m saying is that I eat too much carb-rich foods and the result is that the body feels sluggish, cutting it out completely would be irrational.

Scott wrote:
What do you know about feminine attachments?
I know that they cause suffering, dull the mind, and ultimately prevent one from choicelessly allowing life to operate through the body.

Other than that, nothing really…

I’m not suggesting that I’m completely free from all feminine attachments, I doubt there is a man in this forum free from all attachments. The mind is easily conditioned.

But I’m free of the big ones, and working on some of the smaller ones. Hot baths are a killer feminine attachment that the flesh of this body appears to have grown accustomed to.

The legs actually crave the hot water; strange. The desire of the flesh is strong.

the body is a vunerable instrument, it must be cared for with the utmost care.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

A good diet devoid of as many chemicals as possible is a good thing for anyone -- sage or not.

Avoid too many starches -- triglyceride hell. Eat red meat sparingly. Eat chicken and fish that are truly organic -- tall order in the US where nothing is organic.

Fuck it. I know a man who is one hundred years old who never watched his weight or cholesterol. His mother died at 99 when she was hanging out laundry on the line -- for six family members -- and that was forty years ago. This one hundred year old man regularly travels alone from Houston to Virginia by plane to check on his home that he still owns here. When he was a mere lad of ninety five, he had a big garden and hunted dear.

Longevity is mostly a matter of genetics. This one hundred year old man is not a sage. Nice guy. I like him. But he definitely is not wise.

Kierkegaard died at a young age and so did Nietzsche and Socrates, in comparison.

I like the idea of a "pure" diet. But diet has nothing much to do with wisdom. I know plenty of assholes who exercise daily and eat right.

Plenty of fools live to be one hundred. I know a woman who is 104. Nice lady but she has to be fed and dressed and sat up. She has periods of lucidity and periods of madness. He eighty year old daughters take care of her. She never ate "right" or exercised. It is mostly genetic.

In my practice, I see plenty of overweight and obese people in their eighties. I see only a very few slender or overweight people in their nineties. Maybe, five. Dozens and dozens of people above eighty.

In 2006, ninety is the big cut off no matter what you eat.

I am not ready to die now but I do wonder about the purpose of living into dependency. For me, I reckon eighty five might be a good time to die. I doubt that I will endure much beyond that. Thirty-two years to go.

Long haul.

Faizi
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Faizi wrote:
But diet has nothing much to do with wisdom
Are you sure?

Faizi wrote:
I see plenty of overweight and obese people in their eighties
I’m not all that concerned with living long, I’m more concerned with having a body that isn’t craving for gratifying foods while I’m alive. I want the body to maintain a neutrality, the body feels good in this state. It is a weird type of pleasure, a pleasure that arises from avoiding pleasure.

The body feels good as a result of not being destroyed and degraded by pleasure.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

No, I do not think a good diet has much to do with wisdom. I know plenty of assholes who eat right and excercise.

But, if you want a discussion of good nutrition, I am fairly knowledgeable. However, much is contradictory.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

One way is to stuff yourself with as many vegetables and fruits as you possibly can. Drink water.

Don't cry about the diarrehea.

If you have some diarrhea, eat some pears. Eat small quanititues of brown Basmati rice. If you must indulge in meat, eat fish and small quantities of chicken. Tofu is a good source of protein.

Take fish oil supplements. COQ10 is an enzyme that aids in prevention of congestive heart failure and other things. It can aid in reduction of bad cholesterol and it can aid in increase of metabolism.

Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin but is lacking in most people. It is directly related to treating stress and fatigue. Lack of B12 can be shown in a simple CBC. You can buy good quality B12 in stores or you can take it by injection. I took it by mouth several years ago. I know that it helped me to feel better; less fatigue. My daughter gets B12 by shot once a month.

People who get B12 injections monthly are begging for it by the end of the month.

I am sure that I could benefit from the injections but I am too cowardly to give it to myself and think I am going to see a doctor?

HAH.

As for your diet, I think it is mostly good but do you get any protein? Also, I think you should eat some dark chocolate once in a while.

The avoidance of refined carbs -- anything white -- pasta and breads is to avoid high triglycerides and DMII. Diabetes II is an avoidable illness. Starches convert to sugars. The more one instakes starches and the higher one's triglycerides, the more likely one is to become diabetic. In fact, if a person eats large quantities of strarches, one will become diabetic.

Kind of stupid to have to pay big money for diabetic meds when the disease can be averted.

If you are very thin and you exercise, I think you should eat some ice cream every couple of months or so. If you are very thin and you do not have an aversion to beef, I think you should eat a side of beef every six months. Maybe an entire cow.

You need some fat. Eat some almonds and peanuts.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Don't drink fruit juices. Eat fresh fruit. Drink water.

Faizi
Blair

Post by Blair »

MKFaizi wrote:A good diet devoid of as many chemicals as possible is a good thing for anyone
Food is chemicals.

Even organic vegetables contain toxins and poisons that would be deadly in a high enough quantity. It's simply a question of degree.
avidaloca

Post by avidaloca »

The sage eats whatever is placed in his bowl when he begs for food, as long as that item appears edible. If it is poisoned, he falls sick and dies.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Avidaloca wrote:
The sage eats whatever is placed in his bowl when he begs for food, as long as that item appears edible. If it is poisoned, he falls sick and dies.
This philosophy would work back in Diogene’s day, but nowadays there are a multiple of bad foods one needs to stay away from.

The sage just can’t eat whatever is placed in front of his mouth… I mean he can, but he’ll suffer for it.

The sage as a beggar doesn’t work all that well these days, people consume crap and therefore whatever they give others will be crap as well because they don’t know any better.

Faizi wrote:
Don't drink fruit juices
I agree, Fruit juices are incredibly concentrated and actually cause problems in the stomach and intestines, but one can get around this if the juice is diluted with water.

Faizi wrote:
but do you get any protein?
Yeah.

Faizi wrote:
I think you should eat some dark chocolate once in a while.
What is in dark chocolate that makes it of nutritional value? I tend to stay away from chocolate as a rule because of the refined white sugar.

I eat organic pasta and I not sure with it’s made with refined carbs…

Faizi wrote:
If you have some diarrhea, eat some pears.
I just planted two pear trees on the property, but they are still small and probably wont bear fruit for a few years. Lets just hope I dont get diarrhea from now until then...
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Pyramid wrote:
Yeah.
What are your sources of protein? You do not eat red meat or chicken. You eat fish only sometimes. Beans are mostly carbs. Soy is not a bad source of protein -- tofu.
Faizi wrote:
I think you should eat some dark chocolate once in a while.
What is in dark chocolate that makes it of nutritional value? I tend to stay away from chocolate as a rule because of the refined white sugar.
Dark chocolate contains antioxidents that can protect the cells. However, chocolate also has lots of calories. So, you do not eat a lot. If you are skinny, maybe, set aside one day of the week for a dark Dove Bar. Dark chocolate contains more antioxidents than green tea or blueberries.

Dark chocolate does not have so much sugar.
I eat organic pasta and I not sure with it’s made with refined carbs…
All "white" food is refined carbs. If you are young and thin, you can eat some in moderation. Eating starches does lead to hypertrigycerides and metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, diabetes. If you are young and thin and you exercise vigorously daily, you can eat some pasta.
I just planted two pear trees on the property, but they are still small and probably wont bear fruit for a few years. Lets just hope I dont get diarrhea from now until then...
Given your diet, I am somewhat surprised you do not experience diarrhea. Must be the pasta that binds.

I used to work with a physician who was a nutrition expert. Also, an exercise fanatic. She looks like ninety pounds but weighs 120 -- all muscle. The little that I know, I learned from her. I currently work with a nurse practitioner who is also pretty knowledgable.

I will be seeing the physician soon on a social basis. She has her own practice. She always said that she intended to do a lot of business through her web site. She used to have a site but I cannot find it now. It ain't up. When I see her, I will definitely ask her about this. I have known her for ten years so she would be offended, I reckon, if I did not bitch her out for something. She needs her site up. She is very knowledgable about the power of diet.

Most of the "drugs" in our closet could be eliminated if people ate right and excercised moderately -- cholesterol meds, diabetic meds, anti-hypertensives. The elimination of those would leave us with allergy meds and antibiotics. Diet is related to allergies, too, somewhat. Antibiotics are necessities sometimes. We might also still have some anti-depressants.

Drug companies could largely be put out of business if we ate decently and exercised moderately.

I used to decry the exorbient costs of drugs. I still do and I give out as much free medicine as I can.

But damn.

I think most modern maladies -- even diabeties and hyperlipidemia -- can be traced to stress.

I recently read an article describing Americans as impatient. I reckon so. We are running like mice on a wheel, getting nowhere but behind. Killing ourselves to pay the piper.

We need to slow the pace but I reckon once you have the love of speed, you're done.

Really makes me think of that painting by Munch entitled "The Scream."

Pretty bad when a scream is the logical response; logical denominator.

But there you go.

Faizi
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

kittens. raw kittens.

They are as tasty as they are cute.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Faizi wrote:
Most of the "drugs" in our closet could be eliminated if people ate right and excercised moderately –
I haven’t taken drugs in years. Even if I have pain, my parents will try to force aspirin on me, but I won’t take it. I’d rather suffer it out.

Faizi wrote:
Drug companies could largely be put out of business if we ate decently and exercised moderately.
I agree, although there are some natural herbs that are beneficial.

Faizi wrote:
I think most modern maladies -- even diabeties and hyperlipidemia -- can be traced to stress.
Yes there is a strong relationship between stress and disease. I haven’t felt stressed in years, but I do live with my parents and have a lot of free time to think about deeper things. I have no girlfriend and very little responsibility, this is the way I like it. : )

Faizi wrote:
What are your sources of protein
?

Salmon, eggs, beans, peanut butter. Rice milk.

Faizi wrote:
Dark chocolate contains more antioxidents than green tea or blueberries.
I think I’d feel safer getting my antioxidants from blueberries and green tea. What about raspberries? I just want to know because I have a ton of raspberry canes in my garden…

Faizi wrote:
If you are young and thin and you exercise vigorously daily, you can eat some pasta.
I’m young, thin, but my exercise is inconsistent. Walking and gardening is all I do.

Overall, I probably eat too many carbs.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

My thought is that you need to get out from your parents' home and make your way in the world.

If you are thin and young and eat a ton of blueberries and this and that thing, I do not think that you eat too much carbs.

I can continue to respond to your questions but, really, there are tons of sites on the internet devoted to good diet. I think you can find the answsers to your questions there. You are an adult. You do not need to be spoon fed.

It is wonderful for you to stay in your parents' home and eat this or that and to have little stress and to have plenty of time to think.

That is truly wonderful. But I do think the time comes to kick the chick from the nest.

You cannot make your own decisions as long as you are in the roost. I don't care if you get on whatever dole or you have a job. You need to pay for your own blueberries.

Otherwise, I cannot take you seriously.

You are a child.

Faizi