Quinn and Solways 'wise-man beards'

Post questions or suggestions here.

When you first seen Quinn and Solways pictures, did you find their beards a little much?

A) Yes, I thought it was a bit childish, its a vanity thing
25%
B) No, growing a big beard is practical, keeps the women away, and besides, shaving is a waste of time and money
33%
C) No, Just a coincidence
17%
D) It is simply this: like a woman wears skimpy clothes to seduce those seeking sex, Quinn and Solway use their big beards to lure in the seekers of truth....
8%
E) B and D, plus, they thought it was ironically funny to present themselves in such a cliched way, yet still be so truly deep and genuinely wise.
17%

Total votes: 12

frank

Post by frank »

Calling enlightenment a booby prize and listing the outer poverty aspects of the enlightened life is to omit the very meat of enlightenment itself. It is a shallow characterization to make.
OK you've got some kind of dualistic thinking happening where an 'outer life' of poverty somehow kind of represents a 'proof' of 'inner' enlightenment.

Do you think it's possible for a Human to work, marry, raise kids etc and achieve enlightenment, be enlightened?

Enlightenment is Enlightenment
Poverty is Poverty

They are not Identical.

For the Life of Me, the Romanticising of Poverty/Welfare dependancy, as a case, has been pressed on me before and I can never get it.
DQ: I have to have an appearance of some kind, so I can't escape these issues entirely.

f: Yes, it is absurd.

DQ: I don't find it so. I think you're creating your own amusement here. It has little to do with me.
On the subject of your Beard....due to dependant origination it exists as an effect of prior causes...some of these prior causes include 'certain Ideas' you have about what to not-have a Beard means...

Your Beard's existance depends on what it means for you to not-have a Beard...or the meaning you have concerning 'the Beardless'...ie, something about Womanly Traits...

This quite clearly is Vanity as the removal of your Beard would be tantamount to a 'loss' of something...or rather the 'gaining' of something which in your case would be Womanly Traits...which again would be repulsive to you...
The Beard means something to you...
It is effectively a part of your Costume because without it you wouldn't be you or the appearance you wish to make because you have to have an appearance of some kind...

Your Vanity is more in what 'Not-Having' a Beard means.

Yes, it is absurd because you've locked yourself into a preference that defines who you are not...the Beard is some kind of Head Trip about an Identity you wish to avoid...it's an Identity Crisis...
Well, I reckon you're full of it.
Well, you would think unkindly of me wouldn't you?...
f: Now, this Act of Genius.
It's an Act of Thinking isn't it?
It's an Act of Thinking that 'pierces the veil' isn't it?
Pierces the Veil of Illusion?

If that's so, what is it that is Found beyond the Veil?

DQ: Nature as it really is.
Can you describe Nature as it really is?

frank
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

frank,
DQ: Calling enlightenment a booby prize and listing the outer poverty aspects of the enlightened life is to omit the very meat of enlightenment itself. It is a shallow characterization to make.

f: OK you've got some kind of dualistic thinking happening where an 'outer life' of poverty somehow kind of represents a 'proof' of 'inner' enlightenment.

You have still got it backwards. The "proof" of enlightenment comes from the conscious understanding and experience of Reality enjoyed by the enlightened person. It is an inner proof. The other stuff, the outer poverty of his life, is merely the consequence of this accomplishment.

Do you think it's possible for a Human to work, marry, raise kids etc and achieve enlightenment, be enlightened?
It depends on what you mean by "enlightenment". I think it is possible to acheive a good intellectual understanding of Reality, as well as experience some authentic satoris (direct experiences of Reality), while working and being married, etc. That's the easy part. The problems really only begin when you try to implement this understanding into your daily life. As soon as you try to do this, you immediately begin to clash with your other attachments, and with the world generally. So you won't be able to properly grow and flourish into enlightened consciousness and enjoy its countless benefits. The shackles of your marriage, job, etc, will prevent it.

The best you can probably do in this situation is to isolate the understanding to a particular compartment of the mind and seal it off from the rest of your life. You can then revist this understanding on a part-time basis and enjoy it in a limited sense. It means engendering a split-personality type of situation, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Enlightenment is Enlightenment
Poverty is Poverty

They are not Identical.
In your last post you were boasting about how "empty" you are becoming. Now you are suddenly objecting to the idea of poverty in the spiritual life!

How does a person become "empty" and not become poor (in attachments) at the same time? Or are you talking about a kind of pseudo-emptiness, like an ascetic monk who lives in a palace?

For the Life of Me, the Romanticising of Poverty/Welfare dependancy, as a case, has been pressed on me before and I can never get it.
That may be because it isn't meant to be a romantic notion. Rather, it is a bitter consequence of being born in a society that is dominated by unconsciousness and lies.

I can gather that directly confronting falseness in the world is not really your cup of tea. It would demand that you become more of a participant, and less of an observer. Better to step back invisibly into the corner and laugh at everything as though it were a comedy. It's safer.

DQ: I have to have an appearance of some kind, so I can't escape these issues entirely.

f: Yes, it is absurd.

DQ: I don't find it so. I think you're creating your own amusement here. It has little to do with me.

f: On the subject of your Beard....due to dependant origination it exists as an effect of prior causes...some of these prior causes include 'certain Ideas' you have about what to not-have a Beard means...

Your Beard's existance depends on what it means for you to not-have a Beard...or the meaning you have concerning 'the Beardless'...ie, something about Womanly Traits...

This quite clearly is Vanity as the removal of your Beard would be tantamount to a 'loss' of something...or rather the 'gaining' of something which in your case would be Womanly Traits...which again would be repulsive to you...
The Beard means something to you...
It is effectively a part of your Costume because without it you wouldn't be you or the appearance you wish to make because you have to have an appearance of some kind...

Your Vanity is more in what 'Not-Having' a Beard means.

Yes, it is absurd because you've locked yourself into a preference that defines who you are not...the Beard is some kind of Head Trip about an Identity you wish to avoid...it's an Identity Crisis...

I sometimes shave off my beard (every couple of years or so) and keep my face clean-shaven for a month or so, in order to give my face an airing. I don't experience any loss of identity in doing so. As far as I know, Kevin Solway has been beardless for the past few years. Dan Rowden often doesn't have a beard. There is no costume. It's all in your imagination.

Again, the great advantage of not shaving is not having to spend time on one's appearance. That is what I value. I couldn't give a toss about the beard itself. It is the act of focusing on one's appearances which I object to. Life is too short to waste on pointless exercises.

f: The 'emptier' I get the more delighted I become.

DQ: Well, I reckon you're full of it.

f: Well, you would think unkindly of me wouldn't you?...
God forbid, no. Frowning on empty boasts is most unsagely.

f: Now, this Act of Genius.
It's an Act of Thinking isn't it?
It's an Act of Thinking that 'pierces the veil' isn't it?
Pierces the Veil of Illusion?

If that's so, what is it that is Found beyond the Veil?

DQ: Nature as it really is.

f: Can you describe Nature as it really is?

I can give a few pointers. For example, Nature can be described as formless. Although it is utterly everything, it doesn't have any particular form itself. Enlightenent occurs when one no longer projects onto Nature what isn't really there - such as a particular fixed form.

-
frank

Post by frank »

I'm not enlightened and I wouldn't claim it...you do inspire me to think and thankyou for that...and perhaps you can point me to where I haven't got the picture right...

How does a person become "empty" and not become poor (in attachments) at the same time? Or are you talking about a kind of pseudo-emptiness, like an ascetic monk who lives in a palace?

Can't I have 'things' and remain detached...I realise I'm born alone, die alone and am alone even in company and the 'things' I have lack inherent existance...are impermanent...that they are there due to dependant origination...that they are not-me and not-mine...I can just enjoy them...
I can gather that directly confronting falseness in the world is not really your cup of tea.
At this stage 'spotting falseness' causes a sensation of warmth and pleasure to arise in my belly...particularly 'spotting my own falseness'...then I smile benignly and kindly at the chicanery and antics of this Self that somehow is attached to me via conditioning...
I sometimes shave off my beard (every couple of years or so) and keep my face clean-shaven for a month or so, in order to give my face an airing. I don't experience any loss of identity in doing
'in order to'.....everything we do has an 'in order to'...

A clean-shaven face for a month is just another aspect of the Identity...it's a part of the whole of it...the Identity remains so a feeling of 'loss of identity' can't take place.
Enlightenent occurs when one no longer projects onto Nature what isn't really there - such as a particular fixed form.
Oh good, I'm going OK then....when I laugh is when I spot my 'projecting mind' creating it's fiction...the dissolving of that fiction gives me peace and a feeling of emptiness...

frank
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

David Quinn wrote:

I have nothing better to do.
That's untrue. I will happily recognize anyone as "enlightened" who knows the Truth and can speak about it with clarity and authority.
I don't believe that. Well, let me qualify -- I will believe it when I see it.

So far, the only thing I have seen is name calling -- drama queen -- or a call to scourge -- she's a drama queen -- stone her.

Granted, some scourging is necessary. In the past, I have been a great scourger. Scorcher. Have not been interested in that role in years. No need for it, really. Most of the writers here are sincere and intelligent.

However -- call me drama queen or encourage others to join in the throng -- I will continue to speak truth as I have always spoken it.

Truthfully, I would have thought that calling me a drama queen and this or that thing might have been beneath the level of a sage. Kind of surprising that you would stoop to that. I could see it if I truly was a drama queen but, as you know, I have written many quality posts to this forum and to the Genius List.

The attempt to piss me away as a drama queen is poor form on your part, David. If anything, I think you have been acting like a drama queen.

Faizi
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I don't understand why this is still being discussed.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

SShula,

If you do not understand why this is being discussed here, exactly why are you posting?

Faizi
avidaloca

Post by avidaloca »

Scott Schaula wrote:
Is that TRUE? I don't believe it is.
I think it's the law of nature. Dogs bark when the merest hint of another dog is around them. People of similar or different mindsets are also often acutely aware of that sometimes instantly. I think you need to be one to know one, or perhaps, have been one. Otherwise you wouldn't know what you were trying to ID.

One of the reasons I like this forum is that ideas like the one above are often mentioned by QRS, and have often been consistently mentioned by them for a long time. They're plain and down to earth ideas, but they stand up over time - it's hard to shoot logical holes in them in my opinion.
You can't tell what people think, unless you can read their mind or they tell you; and even then they may not be thinking what they say to you, they may just be repeating someone else, not knowing the meaning.
Over time you would know what their MO was.
The way you can tell if a person is enlightened is if they seem like an embodiment of the truth to you (that is, whatever you know to be "true" where you're at in your "spiritual development"). Take notes from that person...maybe ask them about their thoughts...talk about the nature of things with them.

You'll never know for certain, because the only thing anyone's ever certain of is ultimate truth (since it's logically undeniable).
It sounds like very shaky knowledge - a go with what you can know now theory. I'd rather wait until I was sure than make a spontaneous judgement. Patience is a virtue.
If you think about it, what does it matter if someone is enlightened anyway? What matters is how much truth you have uncovered and what that does to who you are. The more immersed in truth you are, the more you seem to become truth.
I relate to that observation.
You'll find out if someone's not enlightened. Who cares if they tricked you for most of your life. It's all a mirage anyway.
I think I see what you mean. According to Zen, the enlightened person spreads their enlightenment just by naturally interacting with the world around him - this is final step in the Ten Bulls stages. If he has to do something to make it happen, it ain't real.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I think it's the law of nature. Dogs bark when the merest hint of another dog is around them. People of similar or different mindsets are also often acutely aware of that sometimes instantly. I think you need to be one to know one, or perhaps, have been one. Otherwise you wouldn't know what you were trying to ID.

Perhaps you're right...that sages pick up the scent of other sages and bark at eachother. Perhaps only sages can sense the specific pheremones of other sages.

I don't believe in that, though. I think a sage knows another sage because they're saying the same sort of things and acting the same sort of way.

One of the reasons I like this forum is that ideas like the one above are often mentioned by QRS, and have often been consistently mentioned by them for a long time. They're plain and down to earth ideas, but they stand up over time - it's hard to shoot logical holes in them in my opinion.

They say that only an enlightened person can truly recognize another enlightened person, but you've interpreted it to mean that they sense that the other person is enlightened. You might be right, but I don't agree with the interpretation. I think enlightened people know enlightened people by what they say and do. I also think they can never be truly certain that another person is enlightened, probably just 99% sure.

It sounds like very shaky knowledge - a go with what you can know now theory. I'd rather wait until I was sure than make a spontaneous judgement. Patience is a virtue.

What else is there than what you know now? There's nothing else. What if you never know more about enlightenment? All you have is what you know now, so work with it. If you work against it, you surely won't reach enlightenment or understand it.

Trust your gut. Follow your instincts. Believe in what you know to be true. Doing anything other than this will fling you into the pits of hell.

Open your mind to new truths, and don't open your mind so wide that you stop believing in things you've found to be true. Believe in the truth and don't believe in false things. Try to uncover new truths by reading philosophy texts and spiritual books...in fact read every kind of book there is and constantly think about what's true and what isn't. Try to find the truth in your everyday life. When you look at a tree, dissemble the conscious process of recognizing it as a tree and try to see where you're hiding falseness. Think about who you are and try to come up with a concrete definition, in light of Advaita Vedanta. Think about how things are caused, and how they cause other things. Think about your computer, what it's made of. Think of breaking a piece of your computer off...is it still a computer? At what point does it cease being a computer...how many pieces do you have to break off of it? Think about what it actually is. Do this with everything. Find out about everything.

Then when you find more truths in your life, you'll probably realize you can identify another person who is enlightened. I doubt it'll be by a gut feeling, though. I think it'll be by how they act. Certain things happen when you become immersed in the truth. You take on the qualities of truth. You end up reaping the "fruits of the spirit". It's pretty easy to recognize the "fruits" in another person, although it's tough to know for sure. It seems like everyone has skeletons in their closet. Also, merely seeing that someone has all of the fruits of the spirit doesn't necessarily mean that they're enlightened. They may just be really disciplined and may have been raised well. They may have no knowledge of truth, reality, the way things are.

You can find these things out by talking to them for a while. Being friends with them. If they end up agreeing with you on the truths that you found, you can say they're probably enlightened. What does being enlightened matter though? It's not as if you win the game of life or anything. New age spiritual gurus walk around masturbating their egos with their disciples. They get off on believing in false things...like them being enlightened.

I think you're smarter and closer than you lead yourself to believe. You've been here for a while now. I'm pretty sure you read Wisdom of the Infinite. If not, check it out. Also, try to think about all this stuff I'm saying.

I think I see what you mean. According to Zen, the enlightened person spreads their enlightenment just by naturally interacting with the world around him - this is final step in the Ten Bulls stages. If he has to do something to make it happen, it ain't real.

I believe it's true that by just being around an enlightened person you get closer to it. That doesn't mean you'll become enlightened if you sit next to a sage all day, waiting. It helps if you think about the things they say to you. So while it may help everyone the sage walks past, it'll only bring enlightenment to the person who listens deeply and thinks deeply about the sage's sayings.

So if the sage is "doing something to make it happen" then it can still be real. It's better if the sage does something, instead of merely sitting in silence all day. The seeker's mind is full of useless things which need to be burnt up by the wisdom of the sage. Watching a sage sit in silence will only cause more useless things to come up in the seeker's mind.

"Why doesn't he acknowledge me? What is he thinking? Is this guy nuts? Is this person my lord? What should I do, should I bow to him? Should I give him an offering? Should I leave now? I'm missing the latest episode of Friends! Why does this guy wear all white? Blah blah blah" and so on.

To avoid this useless crap, just try to uncover the truth in everything.

Hope this helps.
frank

Post by frank »

Don't you guys have anything better to do than spin this kind of drivel?

"Sub-standard material" indeed. David
I don't understand why this is still being discussed. sschaula
Think about how things are caused, and how they cause other things. Think about your computer, what it's made of. Think of breaking a piece of your computer off...is it still a computer? At what point does it cease being a computer...how many pieces do you have to break off of it? Think about what it actually is. Do this with everything. Find out about everything. sschaula
David's Beard is a thing...an appearance.
Why can't David's Teachings be applied to David's Beard?

David shrugs off his Beard's appearance as a trivial matter of no concern...beneath the musings of a lofty philosopher...
Why can't David's Teachings be applied to David's Beard without the querent being subject to ridicule?

David promotes the existance of 'all things' depends on prior causes....'piercing the veil' or discovering Nature as it really is....could be achieved just as well by deconstructing the 'illusions' that hold the appearance of David's Beard in existance...

A 'thing' is a 'thing' is a 'thing'...
Each thing is governed by the same 'Rules of David'...

How a Computer is constructed follows the same Rules as how David's Beard got constructed.

An examination of the prior causes of David's Beard is just as Valid as examining Nietschke or Buddha or computers or 'mainstream culture' because at some point it is just a 'thing'...a 'thing' to be examined 'in order to' discover Nature as it really is.

Can we get this prejudicial crap out of the way about 'some 'things' are 'more worthy' of discussion than 'other things'....

One 'thing' holds no more value than any 'other thing'....this smug superiority about 'the 'things' I value are more important than the 'things you value'.....that's where Genius is forsaken and the Ego Trip replaces it.

frank
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

frank,
David's Beard is a thing...an appearance.
Why can't David's Teachings be applied to David's Beard?

David shrugs off his Beard's appearance as a trivial matter of no concern...beneath the musings of a lofty philosopher...

Why can't David's Teachings be applied to David's Beard without the querent being subject to ridicule?
I agree that my teachings can be applied to anything - even my beard, as this thread testifies. What I ridiculed was the way you were gossiping and spinning soap-operish fantasies out of Marsha Faizi's bitter delusions. That doesn't qualify as philosophy.

David promotes the existance of 'all things' depends on prior causes....'piercing the veil' or discovering Nature as it really is....could be achieved just as well by deconstructing the 'illusions' that hold the appearance of David's Beard in existance...

A 'thing' is a 'thing' is a 'thing'...
Each thing is governed by the same 'Rules of David'...

How a Computer is constructed follows the same Rules as how David's Beard got constructed.
How my beard has been constructed has already been analyzed to death in this thread.

Q: Why do I have a beard?

A: Because I have no interest in acquiring a girlfriend or a getting a job.

What more do you want?

DQ: How does a person become "empty" and not become poor (in attachments) at the same time? Or are you talking about a kind of pseudo-emptiness, like an ascetic monk who lives in a palace?

F: Can't I have 'things' and remain detached...I realise I'm born alone, die alone and am alone even in company and the 'things' I have lack inherent existance...are impermanent...that they are there due to dependant origination...that they are not-me and not-mine...I can just enjoy them...

What would you say to the ascetic monk who claimed he had abandoned all worldly pleasures and yet refused to budge from his palace because he was enjoying it too much? Wouldn't you find that humorous? Wouldn't that make you collapse in mirth at the comedy of it all?

If the ascetic monk is truly detached from everything, then for what reason would he keep himself confined to a palace?

DQ: I can gather that directly confronting falseness in the world is not really your cup of tea.

F: At this stage 'spotting falseness' causes a sensation of warmth and pleasure to arise in my belly...particularly 'spotting my own falseness'...then I smile benignly and kindly at the chicanery and antics of this Self that somehow is attached to me via conditioning...

In other words, you do nothing ....?

DQ: I sometimes shave off my beard (every couple of years or so) and keep my face clean-shaven for a month or so, in order to give my face an airing. I don't experience any loss of identity in doing

F: 'in order to'.....everything we do has an 'in order to'...

And your point is ....?

A clean-shaven face for a month is just another aspect of the Identity...it's a part of the whole of it...the Identity remains so a feeling of 'loss of identity' can't take place.
We can still make distinctions between the petty behaviour of the egotist and the loftiness of the sage.

-
frank

Post by frank »

I agree that my teachings can be applied to anything - even my beard,
Excellent.
Q: Why do I have a beard?

A: Because I have no interest in acquiring a girlfriend or a getting a job.
Cause and Effect.
I have no interest in acquiring a girlfriend or a getting a job.
That would be an effect of a prior cause wouldn't it?...That's what you are generously showing me isn't it?
What would you say to the ascetic monk who claimed he had abandoned all worldly pleasures and yet refused to budge from his palace because he was enjoying it too much? Wouldn't you find that humorous? Wouldn't that make you collapse in mirth at the comedy of it all?
Yes...

f
the ascetic monk is truly detached from everything, then for what reason would he keep himself confined to a palace?
Tell me, can you 'attach' to 'detached'...it's the sublime paradox of this that perhaps caused the ascetic monk to linger in the Palace...
And if he was 'truly' detached from 'everything'...would it matter where he was...
The question really is...Can one have and enjoy a 'thing' and remain detached...?
I think it's OK...it's possible...once the paradox is grasped...it's a fascinating and perplexing situation the Human Being finds itself in....indeed it's Comical.

frank
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

frank,
DQ: I have no interest in acquiring a girlfriend or a getting a job.

F: That would be an effect of a prior cause wouldn't it?...That's what you are generously showing me isn't it?
No.

DQ: What would you say to the ascetic monk who claimed he had abandoned all worldly pleasures and yet refused to budge from his palace because he was enjoying it too much? Wouldn't you find that humorous? Wouldn't that make you collapse in mirth at the comedy of it all?

F: Yes...

DQ: If the ascetic monk is truly detached from everything, then for what reason would he keep himself confined to a palace?

F: Tell me, can you 'attach' to 'detached'...it's the sublime paradox of this that perhaps caused the ascetic monk to linger in the Palace...

There isn't any paradox involved in a person growing slowly into the mode of non-attachment.

And if he was 'truly' detached from 'everything'...would it matter where he was...

That is what I'm asking. What would stop the monk from leaving within a day or two?

The question really is...Can one have and enjoy a 'thing' and remain detached...?
I think it's OK...it's possible...once the paradox is grasped...it's a fascinating and perplexing situation the Human Being finds itself in....indeed it's Comical.

Oh please, spare us the rehearsed spiel. Can I ask, do you have a wife or girlfriend?

-
Shardrol

Post by Shardrol »

Okay I know this may sound petty, but I don't understand why there is some kind of assumption on this thread that shaving the face is something men only do if they are vain or are looking for a girlfriend or a job.

There are lots of women who find beards attractive - at least here in New York. And you see men in all kinds of jobs - even highly-paid corporate jobs - who have beards. Okay, if you insist on having a long unkempt beard then that might put off some potential girlfriends or employers but I would think if a man really didn't care about his appearance he'd trim (not necessarily shave) the beard just as a practical matter - to get it out of the way. And a man could prefer to be clean-shaven just cause it was cooler in the summer or something. Not all appearance decisions stem from vanity or pandering.

And while I'm here - Marsha, it's exactly because of the way you latch onto something like being called a drama queen & keep bellowing about it with heavy-handed sarcasm that makes people think you're a drama queen in the first place.
frank

Post by frank »

F: That would be an effect of a prior cause wouldn't it?...That's what you are generously showing me isn't it?

DQ: No.
Are you saying it's not the effect of a prior cause?
How?
That is what I'm asking. What would stop the monk from leaving within a day or two?
What would you want the Monk to do?
Go to the Jungle?
Would that prove 'detachment' to you?
Wouldn't that show he was 'attached' to an Idea of what 'detachment' means?

Attached to the Jungle?...Attached to the Palace?

Does it matter which locale one inhabits that measures one's degree of attachment?

One can 'attach' to Poverty as one can 'attach' to Money.

The Monk probably 'pierced the Veil'...saw into Nature directly and realised he was powerless.

It's an impenetrable Paradox.

He probably decided to not 'sweat the small stuff'.

frank
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

frank,

DQ: No.

f: Are you saying it's not the effect of a prior cause?
It is certainly an effect of prior causes, but it wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Having no interest in a girlfirend or a job is caused by countless different things - e.g. my genetic make-up, my upbringing, my mentors and influences, my strong interest in philosophy, my breakthroughs in thought, etc. And these in turn have their causes as well, and so on. How far back do you want to go?

f: And if he was 'truly' detached from 'everything'...would it matter where he was...

DQ: That is what I'm asking. What would stop the monk from leaving within a day or two?

f: What would you want the Monk to do?

If he was a wise monk, he would naturally value the survival of wisdom in the world and would shape his life accordingly. He would probably come to the conclusion that it is useless, even counterproductive, to stay confined within the palace, that the cause of wisdom would be better served if he wandered off and talked with people in the world and helped them awaken to the nature of Reality. He would have no reason to stay within the palace, given that he has no attachment to it, and plenty of reason to leave it.

Go to the Jungle?
Would that prove 'detachment' to you?
Wouldn't that show he was 'attached' to an Idea of what 'detachment' means?
The true measure of detachment can only be found in the level of focus in one's daily life upon the survival of wisdom.

A truly wise man is not attached to anything at all, not even to truth and wisdom, and yet his entire being is shaped around the survival of wisdom - just as an apple tree is consistently able to produce apples despite the fact that it does not care whether it produces them or not. This is what stops a wise man, who is without attachments, from leading an aimless existence.

Aimlessness is really a child of fear and attachment. Aimless people tend to go around in circles, or stay where they are, simply because they are tied to the spot, usually willingly. Or in the case of women, because they lack the memory, stability of mind and layers of consciousness needed to lead a coherent existence.

The Monk probably 'pierced the Veil'...saw into Nature directly and realised he was powerless.

It's an impenetrable Paradox.

He probably decided to not 'sweat the small stuff'.

If he were to reach that conclusion, it would tell me that he hadn't really seen into the heart of Nature at all, that at best he has only had a limited insight, which he has then twisted into a shape that is pleasing to his lazy, cowardly ego.

-
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

David Quinn,

I do not have bitter delusions. It suits you to say that I have bitter delusions and I think that is delusional on your part.

I am shocked that merely because I can disagree with you, you throw it up to "drama queen" and "bitter delusions."

You do this lecture series scene with great pretense toward wisdom while congruently engaging in name calling and innuendo. It looks like a duck quacking from both sides of its face.

Kind of ugly.

Faizi
frank

Post by frank »

It is certainly an effect of prior causes, but it wasn't the point I was trying to make.
Phew, I thought you'd lost it there for a mo...welcome back!
If he were to reach that conclusion, it would tell me that he hadn't really seen into the heart of Nature at all
Any of the tiny glimpses I've had into the Heart of Nature David, showed me I am indeed powerless...and the moment I thought I could 'do something' was the moment the Veil appeared and separated me from the Heart of Nature...
That may appear glib but it has had me awestruck at times.

In the Light of that the Philosopher is one who attempts to 'acquire' power via perceptive thought...the philosopher then claims he has power over Nature and then feels compelled to 'teach' it...how can one be sure that the 'perceptive thought' is indeed 'perceptive'?

About Palaces.
I think of the Dole as a 'kind of Palace'....compared to rattling the tin cup, it's got a lot going for it...
How attached is QRS to the Dole.
The Dole is a significant Cause Factor in the persistant appearance of QRS.
Could QRS continue it's appearance without it?
Not in the same form.

QRS 'resides' in it's 'earthly palace' (read Dole) and is different from the Ascetic Monk in that it 'gets among the people' and broadcasts Wisdom...from the refuge and sanctuary of the Palace...
Is that what you are saying?

frank
frank

Post by frank »

In the end I suppose Philosophy is an authentic Human Activity...a Game to play...a Language Game...a 'shuffling' of concepts 'perceivable' by the Human Mind...that builds a 'House of Cards'...that in the Heart of Nature is swept away..like a Wave rolls in from the beach and sweeps away the Child's Castle...pretty as it may be...

I wouldn't know...I'm not enlightened...but thankyou for your generosity in allowing me to communicate such things.

These Ancient Spiritual Icons QSR toss about like Confetti...luminous meaning providers like Jesus, Buddha, Chuang Tzu, Lao Tsu et al...

QSR appears to 'project' a Fatherliness onto these figures.

Effectively each of these terms Jesus, Buddha etc..could be interchanged with the use of a single term : Daddy.

Daddy said this....dum de dum de dah.
Daddy said this....dum de dum de dee.

Providing a feel-good sense of Security and Comfort for the Child in it's dark and Stormy Night of the Soul.

As all 'good daddies' do.

Provides the comforting 'Bed Time Story'....and upon awakening the Child is eager to recount the Story to his pals.

How much of QRS is 'projection'.

frank
frank

Post by frank »

...the 'Nature as it really is' has to be at least partly about the Human Mind's ability to 'project' on to the Big Screen of Emptiness doesn't it David?

In reading the QRS Forum I can't help but notice a Tolkienesque Drama taking place...of Script, Plot and Character.

It's like Kevin has been communing with the 'Gandalf the Magician' element (read..Jesus, Buddha et al)...which has convinced him the Land has been laid to waste by the Dark Forces of delusion and ignorance...

This has caused Kev to take the Role of Frodo, the Ring Bearer and he has to 'carry' the Ring to Mt Doom and 'the people' will be free from Suffering.

Kev needs a Fellowship.

Dan appears as Aragorn.
Dave appears as Samwise Gamgee...flailing Orcs like Frank and Faizi etc. with his Mighty little Sword to 'protect' Frodo Kev and the Wisdom Ring...

It's just so stunningly Sweet, Cute, Warm and Cuddly....thankyou, thankyou...I can really sleep safe at night thanks to you Guys and your Epic Hero's Quest...

I can't begin to tell you how thoroughly entertaining this is...the Comedy is breathtaking.

I think we can take it to Hollywood.

We could have Harrison Ford playing Kev and maybe Clooney could enact Dan...and Brad Pitt has to be a shoe-in for Dave...and Sue, ah yes, Angelina Jolie...

...and what of Frank the Orc...alas...does the Fate of the Counter Script, the Heretic, befall him...

...is he crucified or stoned or simply banned for his irreverence, his 'unbelieving'....

poor frank
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I think I'll leave you to your cartoon world and call it a day. Thanks for the discussion.

-
avidaloca

Post by avidaloca »

Fiazi wrote:
You do this lecture series scene with great pretense toward wisdom while congruently engaging in name calling and innuendo. It looks like a duck quacking from both sides of its face.
I don't know about the rest of you but this has always impressed me. The way David can character assassinate someone within the guise of enlightnment teaching. I doubt I could merge those two so seamlessly. He seems clueless to doing this himself, which is pretty amazing. How he could not see that I will never know.

For me, enlightenment discussions are not about continuous degradation of people's personalities. There is much more than that to it.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Do you disagree that Marsha is a drama queen?

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Drama queen, no. Satirical, yes.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

That's certainly putting a positive spin on it. I agree that Marsha is capable of some excellent satire at times, but more often than not her behaviour is simply governed by bitterness and envy. In general, I don't think there is enough loftiness and detachment in her abuse of others to call it "satire". Or at best, it is satire mixed with personal bitterness.

I should point out that the reason why I have been confronting Marsha of late is because she has been persistently disparaging the forum for being "too staid" and because of her recent proclamation that "philosophy should involve some dirt". So I thought I would take the opportunity to throw some dirt her way, which, for some reason, she didn't seem to appreciate.

Marsha loves to dish the "satire" out to others, but the moment anyone tries to dish it back her way, she goes nuts. This makes her a hypocrite.

-
avidaloca

Post by avidaloca »

DavidQuinn wrote:
Marsha loves to dish the "satire" out to others, but the moment anyone tries to dish it back her way, she goes nuts. This makes her a hypocrite.
I don't know about a hypocrite but she sure can't take a dose of her own medicine. To me a hypocrite is someone who espouses a belief and whose actions go against that belief. She has the right to defend herself from attacks as to attack those she wants to.

My definition of a drama queen is someone who beats up issues beyond proportion. I don't feel Marsha does that. She just clarifies them in a macroscopic way. It seems overly dramatic but is really quite revealing.