Scott and Nick's pit fight

Post questions or suggestions here.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

James wrote:
What I perceive or project, rightly or wrongly, is that Scott thinks he will be fucked for the rest of his life, the green grass was all where he came from, not in the purgatory where he finds himself now.
I dare say you're right. Scott has stepped into a bit of consciousness and currently finds it difficult to handle. He isn't yet conscious enough to destroy the source of his suffering, but he is conscious enough to experience it more acutely. Now he has lost faith in the spiritual path and wants to crawl back to where he was.

Kevin once used the analogy of crossing a busy road. If you go out a little way and just stay there, you are going to get run over, time and time again. Blessed is he who, with single-mindedness and burning faith, makes a bee-line for the other side!

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Kevin once used the analogy of crossing a busy road. If you go out a little way and just stay there, you are going to get run over, time and time again. Blessed is he who, with single-mindedness and burning faith, makes a bee-line for the other side!
!

I really like that. :)
Between Suicides
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

I mean, you can always go back the other way if you feel you've missed something...
Between Suicides
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Scott: If I were a chicken I'd say "you're stupid, Dan".
David: Kevin once used the analogy of crossing a busy road. If you go out a little way and just stay there, you are going to get run over, time and time again. Blessed is he who, with single-mindedness and burning faith, makes a bee-line for the other side!
It seems we're getting close to cracking a philosophical egg, and answering the age old question, why did (or, more to the point, should) the chicken cross the road.
Good Citizen Carl
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

David: He isn't yet conscious enough to destroy the source of his suffering, but he is conscious enough to experience it more acutely. Now he has lost faith in the spiritual path and wants to crawl back to where he was.

Leyla: I mean, you can always go back the other way if you feel you've missed something...
But the reason for moving towards spirituality in the first place is loss of faith in worldly matters. To then lose faith in spirituality - forcing you to go back to that world you rejected - would be a very difficult and unsatisfactory thing to do.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Yes, "back" was poor choice of words in the limited context I used it. I had intended to convey the idea that the busy road is "the path" and if you reach the other side without reaching the goal (naturally, that would be an illusion, at best), you can keep travelling (moving) it until you do. Better than stopping on the curb or in the middle and getting run over, over and over again.

Edit: Frankly, in an unenlightened state, I don't think it's possible to actually arrive on the other side without getting run over a few times, single-mindedness and faith notwithstanding, you know?
Last edited by Leyla Shen on Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Between Suicides
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Adding to what I wrote:
But the reason for moving towards spirituality in the first place is loss of faith in worldly matters. To then lose faith in spirituality - forcing you to go back to that world you rejected - would be a very difficult and unsatisfactory thing to do.
Though, the amount of difficulty and dissatisfaction you experienced would depend on how far you had traveled into spirituality. Since Scott is still only in the very early preparatory stages, he hasn't far to step back. This fact could well turn out to be a blessing for him.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Scott,
1) The future always comes regardless of anything. Even without the subconscious mind being the master, a person's life can change. Everyone has a future.
My point is that to the enlightened mind, the future is now. If the mind is aligned with the present moment, then there is clarity, but if the mind is in the future, then this is unconsciousness activity for the most part. There are a few exceptions as some short term planning in ones life is necessary, but more or less, there is no future.

Moreover, psychological time is an illusion created by the thought process. The ending of psychological time should be the only goal. Unconscious people are trapped in Samsara because they actually believe that experiences are worth pursuing, and their strivings give them the illusionary perception that time actually exists.

For instance: the weekends are important for unconscious people because they are associated with pleasure, comfort, sex, and unconsciousness, whereas the weekdays such as Monday mornings are undesirable because they are associated with toil, pain, hangovers, seeing employees that you dislike and all the rest of it. The sage is not trapped in that cycle so there is almost no reason for him to be concerned with what day it is, besides for basic survival purposes. Monday mornings are no different than Saturday nights for him, as it is all the same state of consciousness because he is free from unconsciousness, Samsara and the illusion of psychological time.

Moreover, he doesnt value long term plans that enslave him now for the sake of material security later, For instance: most people are slaving away now towards retirement, and hoping for some leisure sometime down the road when they are old and gray. Or people are striving now for a vacation later, but all those pursuits are worldly to the sage. He is only concerned with taking the most immediate and short term actions to ensure that he has the highest degree of consciousness in the now.
One doesn't have to do anything.
Let me put it another way. The seeing is the doing. The recognition of being duped by subconscious activity is the doing, and it is only through these types of realizations that behavior can be changed. So things need to be done in this sense in order to be wise.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Shah,
Well then, tell us on what points he is right.
Possibly within the next couple of days. I typed up two responses last night before I posted what I did, and found both to not be up to par.
Jamesh said: What I perceive or project, rightly or wrongly, is that Scott thinks he will be fucked for the rest of his life, the green grass was all where he came from, not in the purgatory where he finds himself now.

David said: I dare say you're right. Scott has stepped into a bit of consciousness and currently finds it difficult to handle. He isn't yet conscious enough to destroy the source of his suffering, but he is conscious enough to experience it more acutely. Now he has lost faith in the spiritual path and wants to crawl back to where he was.

I don't see myself this way. I admit that if there is another side to this road, I haven't made it there yet...but I'm not standing in the middle wishing to go back. I don't find myself in purgatory. I'm not suffering.

Carl,
It seems we're getting close to cracking a philosophical egg, and answering the age old question, why did (or, more to the point, should) the chicken cross the road.
Now that was funny.
- Scott
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Scott wrote:
I don't see myself this way. I admit that if there is another side to this road, I haven't made it there yet...but I'm not standing in the middle wishing to go back. I don't find myself in purgatory. I'm not suffering.
Your words and general behaviour on this forum says differently.

You can't hope to bluff your way through life in the same way you are bluffing your way through this forum. Life is far more unforgiving. We are like little kittens in comparison.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Leyla:
DQ: Kevin once used the analogy of crossing a busy road. If you go out a little way and just stay there, you are going to get run over, time and time again. Blessed is he who, with single-mindedness and burning faith, makes a bee-line for the other side!

Leyla: !

I really like that. :)

I mean, you can always go back the other way if you feel you've missed something...
To switch analogies, can a sapling retreat back into its seed?

Once you step into consciousness, even just a little bit, the spontaneity and bliss of unconsciousness are gone forever. You might try to recapture them through alcohol and drugs, or through meditative techniques. But, to switch back to the original analogy, you're still going to be lying on that road and you're still going to continue being run over.

-
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Ryan,
Moreover, psychological time is an illusion created by the thought process. The ending of psychological time should be the only goal.

. . .

He is only concerned with taking the most immediate and short term actions to ensure that he has the highest degree of consciousness in the now.
You're talking about the enlightenment of an animal or something. A large part of wisdom is about valuing the long term and (relatively speaking) devaluing the moment.

(I felt compelled to post this because I just got done saying that time doesn't exist in another thread, but I don't mean to say that it isn't an important concept as far as life goes, like you seem to be saying here, Ryan)
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

David wrote:
To switch analogies, can a sapling retreat back into its seed?

Once you step into consciousness, even just a little bit, the spontaneity and bliss of unconsciousness are gone forever. You might try to recapture them through alcohol and drugs, or through meditative techniques. But, to switch back to the original analogy, you're still going to be lying on that road and you're still going to continue being run over.
OK. But doesn't that then make this redundant:
Kevin once used the analogy of crossing a busy road. If you go out a little way and just stay there, you are going to get run over, time and time again.
Or, is there some sort of sapling growth hormone that I'm unaware of?
Between Suicides
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Apart from courage, determination and faith?

-
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

In yourself and your own mind--no.

Edit: actually, without that you wouldn't be a sapling at all--you'd be just another weed in a mountain of weeds obscuring the curb and screaming about the virtues of not crossing the road in the first place.
Between Suicides
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

David,
Your words and general behaviour on this forum says differently.

You can't hope to bluff your way through life in the same way you are bluffing your way through this forum. Life is far more unforgiving. We are like little kittens in comparison.
I disagree, and I'm not bluffing.
- Scott
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Matt wrote:
You're talking about the enlightenment of an animal or something. A large part of wisdom is about valuing the long term and (relatively speaking) devaluing the moment.
I think we are saying the same thing here Matt, I’m just choosing a different way to say it. It is paradoxical you know. Saying that I take the most immediate short term actions to ensure the highest degree of consciousness in the now is the same thing as saying that I value the long term because if I move inch by inch, hour by hour, I am ensuring long term clarity. But planning to increase my ones own material security through ambitious strivings is a futile movement of thought.

There is a religious fable that goes something like this: A man stays in a hotel room for a 24 hour period, but he works 19 of those hours cleaning the hotel hallways as a means to repeatedly renovate his room, order the most luxurious room service, and order the most delicious foods and wines, and when he checks out he thinks to himself - What all that effort really worth it, was there an easier way?
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Dan,

Here it is. There may be grammatical errors because I did it in Microsoft Word.
I hear this so often it becomes tiresome after a while. Of course there's a path: it's called the path of the renunciation of delusion. It's the only path there is.
Like I said before, there is only a path people imagine and put themselves on. There’s no actual path.
The path necessarily begins with egotistical motives. Given that this is necessary and unavoidable, it means nothing to be critical of the fact. If one remains on the path then the ego is undermined naturally. If this does not happen, one is not on the path at all - or making no actual headway.
I’ve never seen or heard of a person with an undermined ego. In theory, I agree with you that thinking truthfully undermines the ego naturally.
Sure, but this is actually a remedial insight. And as it's being expressed here, a very incomplete one. There is no objective meaning to life, no meaning inherent in reality. However, there is meaning to life inasmuch as meaning is an artifact of consciousness and we therefore bring meaning to life. For some reason we tend to not accept subjective meaning as legitimate or real. It's usually because of a lingering attachment to objectivity as reality. A common delusion.
I agree with you. I thought it went without saying that we bring our own meaning to the meaninglessness.
Philosophy is not about striving for meaning outside of one's self. It's about striving for the truth of things, which includes the nature of meaning.
I know that.
Honestly, is that even supposed to mean something? For one thing, what has the philosophical path got to do with jumping through hoops or other people in any way? Other people's ideas can be stimulating, but at bottom it's all about our minds and our consciousness and thinking. Philosophy is an explicitly personal enterprise.
While that’s true, that’s not how people treat it often. It’s not how I treated it sometimes. At times it was about being challenged by DQ or you. While at the time I thought it was solely about myself, it wasn’t.

It should go without saying that when you say someone is unconscious (or some other demeaning thing) they’ll try to prove you wrong. That’s probably the reason why there are so many women here.

So until a person can stand on their own two feet, emotionally, their philosophy isn’t a personal enterprise but one of trying to fit in.
People will naturally challenge your wisdom if you speak dross.
Like I said, it’s laughable. Is it wise conduct to challenge the “dross” claims of every moron out there?
The core of what? And if you are not perfectly logical what makes you think you have attained everything?
Being perfectly logical, to the core (meaning completely) isn’t an attainment because it doesn’t exist, in my opinion.
So what? It's not actually an argument for anything. What percentage of the human population have you known? What do you know of the nature of consciousness or reality that shows you that this perfection is in principle impossible? Just one time I'd like to see such an argument because all this bald faced assertion stuff is tedious at best.
It’s what I know of human nature which makes me believe perfect enlightenment is impossible.
That's not an argument, it's a sentiment, and obviously one designed for the purpose of self-convincing.
I’ve admitted before that my belief is illogical.
I agree, that statement is just stupid. If certain delusions can be overcome it is a perfectly valid hypothesis that all delusions can be overcome. To argue otherwise you'd have to make a case for those that by definition cannot. Put up or shut up, as they say.
A hypothesis can be shown to be false. I obviously can’t show it to be false…but I can make a guess. That’s what we all have to do. The idea of perfect enlightenment becomes a leap of faith kind of thing.

Assuming that we can overcome all delusions just because we’ve overcome a couple is just as foolish as thinking we can’t.
Are you saying you want or need to be led? What on earth has the supposed flaws of other people got to do with your own personal path and attainments? You're speaking like a child whose papa let him down at some point.
It has nothing to do with me and everything about anyone who comes to this forum in search of understanding.
This shows you know nothing at all, and certainly nothing about psychology. And you have the temerity to speak of the delusions of grandeur of others.
Obviously any of us can speak of whatever we choose to. It may show to you that I know nothing about psychology, but it may not show that to someone else. And what is the truth of the matter, regardless of what people see of me?
People who are "perfectly fine" don't engage in philosophy at all. They most assuredly don't go looking for insight from others. And besides, deluded people are anything but perfectly fine.
1) I disagree. 2) I agree. 3) I agree.
This isn't even remotely close to the truth, but it's a sentiment that would likely win you votes in an election. People reason expediently and conveniently. Their reason is driven by motives far other than the valuing of reason or truth or sanity. It means nothing that people think rationality at times. Do you know the difference bewteen utilising reason and being a rational person?
I agree. My only point was that they possess the capacity.
I'm sorry, but this is indicative, again, of your complete lack of comprehension of how purpose and meaning and value manifest in the world. It also contains bucket loads of hypocrisy, but you don't see that, do you? When peaceful people try to change warlike people because of their differing values and purpose are they doing something wrong?
Do you think it’s hypocritical because I’m condemning you? The difference is that you claim to value wisdom, whereas a normal person doesn’t claim anything.

If a warlike person were to try and tell a warlike person to take up peacefulness, that would be hypocritical and someone should tell that person to take a bit of their own advice.
That isn't necessary (besides, you don't even believe in it).
I may not believe in it but I know what it is. Now about why it is necessary…
It is enough to understand reality. Purpose and value flows naturally from that and such things might involve attempting to wake people up.
Your purpose and value may have flowed naturally from an understanding of reality, but those things are still subject to delusion, and they may very well lead people down the wrong path.
It's not the wise people who actually change others, it's the others who change themselves. No-one can actually change who you are if you don't let it happen. This is truer with regard to philosophical thinking than anything else.
In the movie Collateral, a body falls on top of a taxi cab and bleeds all over the windshield. A man walks down into the alley where the cab was parked, and the taxi driver asks him “Did you kill this man?” The man replies, “No, the bullets and the fall killed him.”

In other words…yeah right.
- Scott
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Ryan R wrote:I think we are saying the same thing here Matt, I’m just choosing a different way to say it. It is paradoxical you know.
Okay, Ryan, my bad.
Esoterix

Post by Esoterix »

- Page Left Blank Intentionally -
Last edited by Esoterix on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Esoterix,

I looked through this whole thread and I didn't find any post where I said that. Can you please quote the full post?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Esoterix wrote:
Shahrazad wrote:... path towards higher consciousness...,
As in conscious of..., higher consciousness about what?
I seriously think you are on the wrong board. This isn't the fishing hole for fishing for women. This board is for increasing clarity of thought.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

E,

You're being too harsh. That wasn't a disrespectful or flirty post.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

My intent was not to be harsh. I'm just getting the idea from that question that his goals are not in alignment with the goals of the board. If what he is looking for is some interesting conversation with a possibility of hooking up with a lady, he would have better luck someplace else - unless you want him. It's kinder to send him off in the right direction for him than to try to beat some philosophy into his head.

The combination of him wanting something that this board does not strive for (actually, this is the antithesis of what he's looking for regarding women), and him not appearing to have an interest in getting a better grasp on Ultimate Reality, means that he doesn't belong here. That isn't a mean thing, it is just a sorting. If you take a perfectly good egg and put it in the bathtub, it wouldn't belong there. That does not mean there is anything wrong with the egg. Maybe a better analogy would be if you took someone who wanted to go watch the superbowl and on your way to the arena, decided instead to take him to a meditation retreat. It's just a mis-match.
Esoterix

Post by Esoterix »

- Page Left Blank Intentionally -
Last edited by Esoterix on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.