Left-Brain vs Right-Brain Test

Post questions or suggestions here.
Tomas

Left-Brain vs Right-Brain Test

Post by Tomas »

This may have already been posted here, i dunno...

Are you left-brained or right-brained?

See the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Take the test:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 95,00.html

Boyan

Re: Left-Brain vs Right-Brain Test

Post by Boyan »

How does this answers the question whether one is right or left brained?

It's clockwise. I don't see how someone could see it turning counterclockwise if she keeps spinning in the same way.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

I can see it spinning both ways if I look to the side and then glide my focus to the picture.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Clockwise, but how are you supposed to see her spinning anti-clockwise??? The site seems to be trying to see if we can be brainwashed rather than Left/right preferenced.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

It's fairly easy to make it go either way.Just stare at the base foot.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Ataraxia wrote:It's fairly easy to make it go either way.Just stare at the base foot.
Nothing changes for me. It still spins the same way. Clockwise.
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

Give it more time.You're probably concentrating too hard,pincho.

Treat it like one of those magic eye puzzles,look 'behind' or 'through'
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Ataraxia wrote:Give it more time.You're probably concentrating too hard,pincho.

Treat it like one of those magic eye puzzles,look 'behind' or 'through'
I can't do magic eye either. I managed to get the foot to rock from side to side anticlockwise, but not rotate the full circle.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Boyan wrote:How does this answers the question whether one is right or left brained?

It's clockwise. I don't see how someone could see it turning counterclockwise if she keeps spinning in the same way.
That was exactly my sentiment after I looked at it. But I covered over my left eye, and stared at her bottom foot, and after a few minutes it switched, which I found a bit amazing.
Pincho wrote:
Nothing changes for me. It still spins the same way. Clockwise.
Your right eye feeds your left brain. Deprive your right brain of it's dominance by covering over the source of it's dominance. In other words, cover over your left eye, and stare for a minute or two. It should come eventually. Hard to believe it works both ways, but it does.

(staring at her reflection/shadow at the bottom with the left eye closed is what triggered the switch for me, give that a try)
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

It's because of the slightly tilted horizontal plane, placed just above eye-level. It is mostly tilted so one looks from above, such that the dancer appears to turn anti-clockwise. But because of the eye-level, and the tilted plane, one can easily look from below, in which case she turns clockwise.

The thread on a screw turns clockwise from one end of the bole, and anti-clockwise from the opposite end.

Kelly
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

I covered my left eye, and managed to get her to spin anti-clockwise but it is hard to maintain the illusion because it contains a couple of mistakes. She leans back on her foot when she faces you, but her foot dips down when she turns away, and then completely vanishes. The frames where her foot should go around the other side are completely missing. The dipping foot is not apparent in the stretching of her ankle, or her adjustment in balance to compensate (Infact her balance leans forwards to compensate, whearas she should lean back to compensate), and is therefore a mistake. Plus her toes would hit the floor the other way (you assume that her foot dipped because of the missing foot frames, and the only place left for her foot to go where it would be hidden is dipped), and stop her from being able to spin. I see the mistakes way too easily to be fooled by the image for very long. Most of my genius ability is to understand nature, and this illusion is attempting to mess up my most powerful gift. It's not going to work very easily.
Last edited by Pincho Paxton on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

When I first looked after reading the key instruction, I thought anti-clockwise, then I went and looked at the instructions again and when I looked back at the image it appeared clockwise.

Focusing on the feet/legs and ignoring the arms - it changes to and fro fairly easily now. The outstreched leg seems to swing clockwise and when it gets clsoe to the edge of the pic, then gives the appearacne of reversing to anti-clockwise.
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

Well... was always counter clockwise for me. I spend like 10 min trying to get it to change before. Then when reading the info on the left side of the screen it changed for me... finally... now I can't get it back haha.
Greg the Genius

Post by Greg the Genius »

she is spining clockwise duh
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Clockwise, takes a effort to get her to turn counter-clockwise. Great find Tomas.

Edit: Wonder if you can train to zone in to different mind state with this, if you can hold the image turning oposite way of "natural"?

Makes for great cellphone wallpaper. =)

Edit: The mistery of quantum mechanics dual particle spin <- solved lol. :-)
Last edited by hsandman on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a ride.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

hsandman wrote:Clockwise, takes a effort to get her to turn counter-clockwise. Great find Tomas.

Edit: Wonder if you can train to zone in to different mind state with this, if you can hold the image turning oposite way of "natural"?

Don't think it would be a good idea to train your brain to allow mistakes.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Pincho Paxton wrote:
hsandman wrote:Clockwise, takes a effort to get her to turn counter-clockwise. Great find Tomas.

Wow! I have managed to make her do Kan-Kan! -> move your head to the right side of the monitor.. now imagine her turning ACW ... then imagine her doing CW... ! Cool =)

Pincho: There is no right way. If you are left or right handed <- both are good. If you are ambidexterous = you are 2x as good. If you can train your brain to switch from one state to another on que that is good. Mistake is to see things from one perspecitve without understanding how it looks from different perspecitve.

Now if you want to keep her moving CCW keep your eyes on her left hip and move your head back to center.. she will keep spining CCW.
It's just a ride.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

hsandman wrote:
Pincho Paxton wrote:

Wow! I have managed to make her do Kan-Kan! -> move your head to the right side of the monitor.. now imagine her turning ACW ... then imagine her doing CW... ! Cool =)

Pincho: There is no right way. If you are left or right handed <- both are good. If you are ambidexterous = you are 2x as good. If you can train your brain to switch from one state to another on que that is good. Mistake is to see things from one perspecitve without understanding how it looks from different perspecitve.
There are mistakes in the anti-clockwise image. The perspective is reversed, and you cannot reverse perspective without having scaling mistakes. The foot vanishes completely, its frames are missing from the anti-clockwise image. I could draw the frames that are missing on in Photoshop if you don't believe me.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Pincho Paxton wrote: There are mistakes in the anti-clockwise image. The perspective is reversed, and you cannot reverse perspective without having scaling mistakes. The foot vanishes completely, its frames are missing from the anti-clockwise image. I could draw the frames that are missing on in Photoshop if you don't believe me.
I will check it out in PShop. You can keep her leg steady in the midle by moving your head from one side of the monitor to other.

To bad you can't see my point though, even if there is "scaling mistakes".

Edit: well it has 34 frames. The right or wrong you are talking about pincho is that if she is turning ccw then she is off balance as the leg does not follow the momentum of the body and that is when she is turning cw. Something to do with the ability to reverse the action of the frame rate sinc.

Writing in mirror image is also wrong.. , but it trains your brain. <- has not hurt me AFIK =P
Last edited by hsandman on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a ride.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

hsandman wrote:
Pincho Paxton wrote: There are mistakes in the anti-clockwise image. The perspective is reversed, and you cannot reverse perspective without having scaling mistakes. The foot vanishes completely, its frames are missing from the anti-clockwise image. I could draw the frames that are missing on in Photoshop if you don't believe me.
I will check it out in PShop. You can keep her leg steady in the midle by moving your head from one side of the monitor to other.

To bad you can't see my point though, even if there is "scaling mistakes".
I find it easier to see the Can Can than a full turn anti-clockwise.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Pincho: CCW is actualy the correct way for that figure to turn... I will post images in a min.

Check out frames 11 to 14. < - then decide which way should the figure turn and keep the balance + momentum.

"I find it easier to see the Can Can than a full turn anti-clockwise."
Keep your eye on her hip to lock her in that direction, then move your head back to center.
It's just a ride.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Ok here is the two frames 12 and 13

It is optical illusion as the detail in the pictures is set up so that depends what are you paying attention to.. the overall picture or the detail.

Ok.. last edit: She is turning CCW, left leg is up. Left hand is on the left side up, but in world of physics she should be turning CW to keep her balance,for her to turn CCW is unnatural, hence the paradox/illusion.
It's just a ride.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

hsandman wrote:Ok here is the two frames 12 and 13

It is optical illusion as the detail in the pictures is set up so that depends what are you paying attention to.. the overall picture or the detail.

Ok.. last edit: She is turning CCW, left leg is up. Left hand is on the left side up, but in world of physics she should be turning CW to keep her balance,for her to turn CCW is unnatural, hence the paradox/illusion.
The line on her leg has been added later. The silloutte has no other lines apart from the fake ones. She is spinning more sensible clockwise, than anti-clockwise due to balance. Plus.. If I play the animation backwards, she then spins anti-clockwise, which also adds to my belief. There are also frames where her foot is bent at an impossible angle anti-clockwise. I edited a few frames, but then realised that you would not know which frames I edited. So is hard to explain.

Best to just forget the subject I suppose. It's just an animation not worth discussing.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

I did not add the line in the frame 13 to her leg. It's there. Sorry, I thought you might see the benifit of being able to see that the picture is right and wrong at the same time. If it spins CCW it is right from perspecive of the detail orianted mind, and if it is spining CW then it is right from perspecive of spatial orianted mind.

It is a paradox that the mind does not want to except. If we were not told that this is illusion, we would still think that it is turning CW. If you had mind that could easily switch between spacial and logical = you would pick that this is a wrong/deceitful picture aka paradox/illusion. That is what it takes to be right, being able to see detail and big picture at the same time and change your view accordingly. Neurotics can't do that.

Think on this.
It's just a ride.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

hsandman wrote:I did not add the line in the frame 13 to her leg. It's there. Sorry, I thought you might see the benifit of being able to see that the picture is right and wrong at the same time. If it spins CCW it is right from perspecive of the detail orianted mind, and if it is spining CW then it is right from perspecive of spatial orianted mind.

It is a paradox that the mind does not want to except. If we were not told that this is illusion, we would still think that it is turning CW. If you had mind that could easily switch between spacial and logical = you would pick that this is a wrong/deceitful picture aka paradox/illusion. That is what it takes to be right, being able to see detail and big picture at the same time and change your view accordingly. Neurotics can't do that.

Think on this.
I never said you added the line. I meant that the line was added as part of the deception. Why else are there no other lines? I can see the lines on my download. I downloaded the animation, and can play it in both directions. In reverse she spins anti-clockwise. If this was a true illusion of left/right brained she would still spin clockwise. Your foot cannot bend at the angles in a anti-clockwise direction. It bends up further than the joint allows your foot to bend.