Woman: An Exposition for the Advanced Mind

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)
Dan Rowden

Woman: An Exposition for the Advanced Mind

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hello All,

For anyone interested in the issue of Woman, the feminine and masculine dimensions of mind and their ramifications in society and for the thinker, I have created an e-book out of a compilation of essays written by David Quinn some years ago. You can download it from here (requires Internet Explorer 4.x):

<a href="http://www.users.bigpond.com/drowden/wo ... ">Download Now</a> (450k approx)

or as a <a href="http://users.bigpond.com/drowden/woman.zip" target="top">Zip File</a> (HTML archive 60k approx).

A stand alone .chm (Windows help file) version will be available soon.

Dan Rowden Edited by: drowden at: 2/19/04 2:24 pm
Perspective

Pushing Buttons

Post by Perspective »

I guess you didn't like my comment.

Well I guess this forum is moderated based on people's opinions.

Warning: If you are looking for free speech then this is not the forum for you.
ChrisSaik

Re: Pushing Buttons

Post by ChrisSaik »

An excellent exposition, Dan.
ChrisSaik

Post by ChrisSaik »

To "Perspective", why do you say this?

David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I believe Dan deleted your reply, Perspective, because this thread is supposed to be a closed one, as indicated by the icon. That is, its sole purpose was to advertize the link and not intended for discussion purposes (which can be conducted elsewhere on the forum). I'm not sure why he didn't manually close it off as he did with the Welcome Message.
Perspective

Post by Perspective »

Let's ask him.

So Dan why didn't just close off this thread if it was only meant to publicize the link?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I deleted your post because I was in a seriously non-tolerant mood.

I have never claimed to be perfect. If you have something to offer that is philosophically meaningful about the content of the book then by all means offer it; otherwise, just spare us.

I didn't close this thread off in case anyone had some technical issues with the e-book that I created. I'm entirely a novice at that kind of thing so I was expecting issues to arise.

Dan Rowden

Perspective

Post by Perspective »

No you may have never claimed that you are perfect and neither did I. I was just commenting on the fact that I get insight from reading Dan Quinn's and your posts and that you two make me think. As a result I continue to participate in this forum.

On the technical side of the E-book I found a small problem. When the e-book's window is maximized there is a gap between the top of the screen and the top of the window as if it was not properly centered. Another problem is that I have problems cutting and pasting from the e-book.

I also wonder why you didn't just make the e-book into a simple PDF document which would have simplified everything.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I know the e-book window doesn't fill the screen; I don't exactly know why or how to change that. I probably have to save it in a different configuration but I don't find it to be significant an issue such that I would take the time to mess with it. However, I might iif I find some spare moments.

As to PDF, I have to admit I entirely dislike the format.

re: cutting and pasting, I may have neglected to engage that ability. I'll have a look.

It was a bit of a rush, spur of the moment job for the sake of edifying the "current" discussion of Woman. I'll probably end up using better e-book software or doing something altogether different.

Dan Rowden
Perspective

Post by Perspective »

Anyway, the e-book served it's purpose. The words and ideas were still there and I was able to go through and understand it all.

All these other problems are little bugs and don't really affect the entirety of the work.

Either way a job well done.

As with the cutting and pasting, it works sometimes and other times not at all, so I really don't know where the problem with it originates.
Perspective

Adding to the debate about Women.

Post by Perspective »

A quote:

Marriage as a long conversation. When marrying, one should ask oneself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this woman into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory, but the most time during the association belongs to conversation. - Nietzsche
Dan Rowden

Re: Adding to the debate about Women.

Post by Dan Rowden »

And with the woman doing 99% of the talking! (and the man pretending to listen).

As to the e-book, I'm not using the latest version of that particular program; it may have some unresolved bugs (and it's not a Microsoft product!), but yes, the important thing is the content and that comes sacross fine.
Perspective

Re: Adding to the debate about Women.

Post by Perspective »

Quote:Quote:<hr>And with the woman doing 99% of the talking! (and the man pretending to listen).<hr>

Then it's not really a conversation and more like a speech so steer clear from this kind of woman.
opiate me

Re: Woman: An Exposition for the Advanced Mind

Post by opiate me »

it does seem though that *most* (not all i have known some wonderful females) women talk when you're not. maybe its not being comfortable with silence (a bit intimate i think), or needing to be "stirred", or just total need of centricity. admittedly i've become a little jaded via my roomate.
Perspective

Post by Perspective »

opiate me, are you drunk or on drugs?

Did you read your last post before you committed to it?
opiate me

Post by opiate me »

i don't do drugs or drink thank you very much.
Perspective

Post by Perspective »

Well then there is a much more serious problem?
opiate me

Post by opiate me »

instead of trying to be dramatic just spit it out or don't comment.
Perspective

Post by Perspective »

That's the philosophy that you seem to follow.
prozak666

Post by prozak666 »

DROWDEN, can you tell me more about why you dislike PDF? I am open to any information but an inexperienced in this area. I generally detest Adobe products: bug-ridden, moronic interface, designed by Judeo-Christians, etc.

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hi prozak.

It's mostrly the scrolling and page placement that urks me.

Have a look at:

<a href="http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/ ... df.html</a>

or

<a href="http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010610. ... 10.html</a>

Dan Rowden
B0ndi

Post by B0ndi »

That's true.

+ its SIZE
Thomas Knierim

Re: Proprietary Windows Formats

Post by Thomas Knierim »

Dan:As to PDF, I have to admit I entirely dislike the format.

PDF has the advantage that it is platform independent. I would have been able to access it on my Linux machine. Others would be able to read it on their MacIntosh. One could even load it onto a PDA and read it at the pool.

I can't read *.exe on this machine. Which is probably better.

Cheers, Thomas
MGregory

Format

Post by MGregory »

Why not use regular HTML?

I with the "PDF sucks" crowd.
EzyHH

Post by EzyHH »

Say, is that version shortened or edited in anyway? I found that exposition on the internet one or two years ago, and I remember it to be longer... Anyway, great work! I believe it to be one of the most truthful writings about the man/woman-issue.