Podcasts Are Cutting Short

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)
Nick

Podcasts Are Cutting Short

Post by Nick »

I wasn't sure if anyone was aware of this, but I've recently re-downloaded a few of the podcasts and a couple of them are cutting off before the end of the discussion. Two in particular that cut short are The Nature of Knowledge and Quantum Physics and Causation, but I imagine there's probably more than just these two having this problem. Any idea what's going on?
Dan Rowden

Re: Podcasts Are Cutting Short

Post by Dan Rowden »

I wasn't aware of this problem. Are you sure you're getting the entire file in the download?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yep. Does it cut short for you when you download them?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I don't know, I haven't tried yet. I'm trying to preserve as much of my download limit for Youtube as I can. I'll give one a go and let you know.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hmm, well I only got 9.6meg of the physics show. I'll have to contact the hosting service and get them to look into it.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I was able to download 25.4 MB of that show. Well, thanks for looking into it, hopefully it gets fixed.
Anders Schlander

Post by Anders Schlander »

had a few stop on me aswell. One with victor near the end of the show, so the amount that seems to download varies? I was able to read the last part in a couple minutes. I believe it cut off near minute 60
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Cutting off for me also. I re-listened to the one with Victor, and it was fine, but the one with Rich Zubaty cut off just when Sue was claiming women are not conscious, which I figured was going to be the good part, lol.
I live in a tub.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I can only put this issue down to Siteground's servers. Not sure, other than finding a better hosting service, I can do much.
Blair

Post by Blair »

As far as I know, most servers, unless you have a premium type of subscription, put "caps" on file sizes that can be downloaded in one go, for various reasons of protection, both yours and theirs.

Download resumers (like GetRight) can solve that problem, but if I remember correctly, the geniusrealms server does not support resuming.

So, one solution is to split the files into 2 or 3 parts as downloads. I would imagine the average person would be somewhat put off the idea of Downloading a 50+ MgB file if they don't know what they are getting into.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Almost a year later and this problem is still occurring. Any word from your hosts, Dan? It's pretty much a show-stopper for the casual listener.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

They're not very helpful. I think once the current hosting period is up we'll look for another hosting service.
krauchinho

Post by krauchinho »

have you moved to a new server?

Post by sunhubble »

downloaded the podcast. all is well.