Nonsense Threads

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)
1ntel

Re: Nonsense Threads

Post by 1ntel »

I think it is all staged...If I'm the entertainment, then...
1ntel

Post by 1ntel »

Boo!
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Heh... looks like you guys have an invasion of trolls going on. While trolls can be quite funny at times, their basic purpose is to disrupt communities by provoking people into various unflattering reactions for the sake of laughs. I don't think that cracking down on trolls is a case of the dreaded "taking things too seriously" (as the trolls themselves will usually object). Most forums exist for a stated purpose - one which trolls intentionally disregard for giggles. Funny or not, there's nothing wrong with getting rid of them summarily.

Then again, this is coming from a guy whose whole community picked up and moved elsewhere due to his rather draconian "admin is always right" policies, so I might not be the best person to listen to here. LOL. Right or wrong, a more nuanced approach involving some degree of patience and compromise may be necessitated by contemporary attitudes. I've been made aware of this "the hard way."
I live in a tub.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Unidian wrote:Heh... looks like you guys have an invasion of trolls going on. While trolls can be quite funny at times, their basic purpose is to disrupt communities by provoking people into various unflattering reactions for the sake of laughs.
Nah, not worth mentioning even. Now an influx of intellectuals, that would be way more dangerous and corrupting. Their writings are often so convoluted, referential and overly complex that it takes so much more time of each reader to find out how vacuous the underlying points really are that it might become a really tiresome drain and poison to the discussion.