Just an experimental forum

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)
Kevin Solway

Just an experimental forum

Post by Kevin Solway »

I was trained as a biologist, and the biological sciences are very closely related to philosophy and spirituality - especially evolutionary biology - and so I thought the topic might be of interest here.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I'm not sure that I agree with this decision. What is the purpose of it?

The subjects of biology and evolution are intimately tied up with all other aspects of philosophy, so I don't see the need to create a whole new forum for it. If we are going to go down this path, then by rights, we should also be creating separate forums for A=A, cause and effect, logic, quantum physics, women, etc. Why is biology being given this special treatment?

If we're not careful, we will soon be aping Common Ascent with its overly-compartmentalized format, which will only serve to academize and trivialize the issues.

-
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

In all fairness, although his post highlighted biology, the forum is called "Science and Evolution" so sciences other than biology could easily go here.

I will agree though that the downfall of a number of message boards is too many forums for the quantity of posters to support. With more threads on one forum, one might be more likely to spot a topic to contribute to that they might not spot if they had to fish through a bunch of forums to see if there was anything interesting going on.

As it is, there does not seem to be much sorting going on. A lame enough post on Genius will get demoted to Worldly Matters, but some of the ones posted on WM seemed more suitable for GF but were never "promoted" to the other forum. I think a lot of people don't really understand at first where things should go. It isn't like it's clearly labeled "Serious" and "Non-Serious" so stuff seems to just go where it lands.

I can see the concept of trying to encourage a broader range of topics, but just starting some threads on different topics would accomplish the same thing. I threw a seed on here to help out. If it sprouts, fine - if not, that's fine too.
Kelly Jones

Re: Just an experimental forum

Post by Kelly Jones »

I think Kevin's idea is interesting. As Nick Treklis recently indicated, there's a strong belief that empirical truths have nothing to do with the Infinite.

As Second Life shows, people are deeply enthralled with the idea underlying scientific materialism, that there is a mysterious divine fingerprint underlying the "Universe". Logic just flies out the window.

Somehow melding "Worldly Matters" and this new forum could provide a gateway for exploration that goes down to the Universe. I.e explores and grounds at the same time.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Kelly wrote:
As Second Life shows, people are deeply enthralled with the idea underlying scientific materialism, that there is a mysterious divine fingerprint underlying the "Universe". Logic just flies out the window.
How does Second life illustrate this Kelly? You haven’t even gone into the game to explore the circles of ignorance and degrees of intelligence, do you always make a habit of making crude generalizations about things that you have no direct experience in yourself?
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

David Quinn wrote:I'm not sure that I agree with this decision. What is the purpose of it?
I just thought I'd float the idea.

I had in mind the idea of trying to attract young people who are brought up in the "religion" of science, and need some sort of a bridge to carry them across to the sort of material we talk about on the main forum.

I'm talking about the sort of people you find on the Common Ascent forum, who would find our normal sort of material (like A=A) completely alien.

If we're not careful, we will soon be aping Common Ascent with its overly-compartmentalized format, which will only serve to academize and trivialize the issues.
This is true, and there's also the danger that Elizabeth pointed out, that there'll be too many forums to support, and the focus or spirit of the place will be lost.

I'll probably move these threads back to the main forum, but we'll see how it goes.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Ryan, i'll reply to your comment in a new thread.
Tim

Post by Tim »

How about if you start a ladies forum where they can post their henids about what men are discussing. You have a board dedicated to masculinity and most of the posts are by females. It's good to have them around, but they are distracting. It's nice to look at their pictures too.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

How about if you start a ladies forum where they can post their henids about what men are discussing. You have a board dedicated to masculinity and most of the posts are by females. It's good to have them around, but they are distracting. It's nice to look at their pictures too.
How utterly condescending. Who is this Tim anyway?
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Some jackass.
Katy

Post by Katy »

nazi. Think he's gone.
-Katy
Ignorant Carl G Arse

Post by Ignorant Carl G Arse »

biology=specifics and proofs that can be used.

philosophy=rambling
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

That would be your personal philosophy, right?
Tomas

Re: Just an experimental forum

Post by Tomas »

Kevin Solway wrote:I was trained as a biologist, and the biological sciences are very closely related to philosophy and spirituality - especially evolutionary biology - and so I thought the topic might be of interest here.

-tomas-
First time (right now!) read your header on this.. musta been asleep at the wheel :-)

I like it , Kevin. Keep running with it and toss some stuff our way. aka, your specific field[s] of interest.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971