Serious conversations about important issues, Part II: Truth is the root of all evil.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
David Quinn

Re: Serious conversations about important issues, Part II: Truth is the root of all evil.

Post by David Quinn »

Avolith wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:44 am Thanks for the replies, I was looking for some clarifications. I'll type more brain dumps, I don't know if they're true.

I've been reading about DMT trips. There's threads full of people saying they experienced things that are completely indescribable by language. They pile on the superlatives and say the words still fall completely short of a faithful description. What is the relation between that and enlightenment? Can you smoke a plant and 'get there' just like that? Notwithstanding all kinds of dangers and risks.
I haven’t tried DMT, but I did consume LSD and magic mushrooms a number of times when I was younger. Very powerful experiences. Before writing this post, I read a few articles about DMT and its effects. It does sound very similar to LSD to me, except maybe more intense.

What these sorts of drugs do is fire up various parts of the brain that aren’t normally fired up. This results in your consciousness leaving behind the normal everyday neural pathways and visiting some of the more exotic ones. It looks like with DMT, and also with high doses of LSD, the brain gets so fired up that it loses contact with ordinary life, together with all of the basic feelings and notions that underpin it, such as one's normal sense of self. Untethered in this way, the brains experiences each moment in a very fluid, wild and unfamiliar manner.

These sorts of drugs can also re-fire old pathways and networks that have long been abandoned - including the networks and pathways that one’s consciousness used to occupy as a very young child when the world was experienced in a far more magical manner. I’m thinking here of the period between when a child begins to become conscious (around 2 or 3 years of age, depends on the individual) and when he begins to become overladen with adult concepts and rigid conventions (around 4 or 5). When an adult drug user re-experiences these magical childhood states, it can seem to him that he has reentered a timeless paradise that he once knew and that he has “come home again".

Their connection to enlightenment is indirect at best. On the one hand, enlightenment and altered states are similar in that they both use neural pathways that are very different from the normal ones that adults habitually use in their daily lives. As such, both consist of non-ordinary experiences. But the key difference, and it is a big one, is the presence or absence of illusion. If a person is a long way from enlightenment, the altered states he experiences are likely to be distorted by strong delusions and mirages and will likely trigger strong emotions. He will almost invariably become, as a result of these experiences, even more ignorant than before.

It all depends on how spiritually developed a person is. When a person is enlightened, or close to being enlightened, the relative lack of illusions in his mind will flow through to a relative lack of illusions in whatever altered states he happens to experience. His altered states will more closely resemble the enlightenment experience and they can, in these circumstances, trigger genuine insight into the nature of nature of reality, the spiritual path, human egotism, and so on.

My advice is, if you want to experiment with these sorts of drugs, do it sensibly and treat any insight you gain from them with a large pinch of salt.

Avolith wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:44 amWhy is it not the case that all humans become enlightened as a normal part of growing up, if not from birth?
Unfortunately, we live in a very ignorant world that habitually extinguishes any flickering awareness of the spiritual path that an individual might happen to have. As such, hardly anyone is encouraged to think or talk about it. The flickerings tend to die away as soon as they appear.

Avolith wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:44 amSomething tells me I should stop talking to myself, but then if I really am the infinite, there's nothing else I can do. Alright, I'm done.
Hehe. Only mad people and sane philosophers talk to themselves....

Writing is an effective way to sort out your thoughts, so it's a good habit to get into.
Pam Seeback

Re: Serious conversations about important issues, Part II: Truth is the root of all evil.

Post by Pam Seeback »

Avolith: Why is it not the case that all humans become enlightened as a normal part of growing up, if not from birth?
That scenario may very likely be the way things are in a time yet to come, but for now, we live in the epoch of the ego or the sense of a separate or independent self. Part of being enlightened is realizing that every moment of awakening is meant to be, meaning that, for now, the development of a strong sense of independence from (the illusion of) Other is a necessary part of a child's development. Think of it this way, if a child did not perceive its mother or father as being separate from its awareness, it would be unable to develop the ability to be alone, an absolute prerequisite for enlightenment to be caused.

Are you familiar with the monomyth or the hero's journey ? When I reflect on my own experience as an awakening child, adult and mother, finding this particular model of Self or I Actualization was a godsend. One of the critical aspects of the hero's journey is the initial stage, the 'Call to Adventure.' Such a Call can only happen when one feels as if they striking out against the norm or the collective or society which cannot happen if there is not first a sense of being separate from (other) selves.

An enlightened parent in today's world might cause harm to a developing child if he or she were to introduce concepts relating to wisdom of the infinite. In Buddhism, knowing when to introduce such ideas is called 'skillful means'. What parents can do until their children are ready to hear such concepts is to make them aware of causality, both in the empirical and moral realm.
I've been reading about DMT trips. There's threads full of people saying they experienced things that are completely indescribable by language. They pile on the superlatives and say the words still fall completely short of a faithful description. What is the relation between that and enlightenment? Can you smoke a plant and 'get there' just like that? Notwithstanding all kinds of dangers and risks.
I agree with David, drugs can open up the mind beyond ordinary experiences, perhaps giving one a sense of being expanded beyond their ego-identity, but drugs cloud the clear head necessary to process the meaning of the experience in the ultimate or absolute sense. I also agree with David that writing down one's thoughts is helpful, perhaps, for some (like me) even absolutely necessary.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Pam Seeback wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:50 pmAs I see it, having the understanding that one thing causes another as if they are independent objects or in the case of selves, independent subjects, is the same thing as declaring things to be inherently existing.
No, causing each other means dependence on each other.
Pam Seeback: Another way of putting it is that when thinking is happening, God is thinking of God - is there a second (other) God?
jupiviv: I don't know. All I have is the belief that my thoughts are God incarnate, and so is everything else.
Since you believe your thoughts are God (singular) incarnate, are you not concluding that there are not two Gods?
Things appear, so I believe they are God incarnate. I don't know *why* things are God incarnate (instead of God no 1 or 2 or 1 trillion incarnate). Nothing is being proposed, so nothing concluded.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Pam Seeback wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm
As I see it, having the understanding that one thing causes another as if they are independent objects or in the case of selves, independent subjects, is the same thing as declaring things to be inherently existing.
jupiviv: No, causing each other means dependence on each other.
My understanding of causality is that it is not things that cause things to appear, rather, that it is the act of conceptualizing that causes things to appear, at least the things called 'thoughts.' In other words, the key component of thinking being caused is our innate desire or will to conceptualize.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Pam Seeback wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:50 am
Pam Seeback wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm
As I see it, having the understanding that one thing causes another as if they are independent objects or in the case of selves, independent subjects, is the same thing as declaring things to be inherently existing.
jupiviv: No, causing each other means dependence on each other.
My understanding of causality is that it is not things that cause things to appear, rather, that it is the act of conceptualizing that causes things to appear, at least the things called 'thoughts.'
If conceptualisation causes things to appear, and things cause each other, it follows that all things are acts of conceptualisation. So "conceptualisation" turns out not to have any specific meaning, hence we're back to things causing each other.
In other words, the key component of thinking being caused is our innate desire or will to conceptualize.
Concepts are thoughts. Does thinking cause itself?
phil

Post by phil »

People, people. Think for a moment. About existence. About the Infinite.

Can we agree that the Truth, the ultimate truth is as far along as possible, that there is nothing beyond it, the end of the line?

Let us first go backwards, what is there in the extreme?
The Source of course. What else could there be!

Do you see any similarity between what is real and what is true? For God's sake you must see that.
What is the alternative? Shall we equate Reality with non-truth? Doesnt that sound ridiculous?
Can we see, more or less that real=reality=ultimate Reality=what is true=what IS.

An atom. We are told it is mostly empty space. If we magnify further what do you think is going to happen?
More and more empty space!
And what do you think that means for the limit? What is left if you could follow this reduction or minimization all the way to the extreme?
EMPTINESS is what you'll find, complete utter emptiness- nada.

Consider Time. Two adjacent moments. At each moment there you are, though two slightly different versions of yourself.
One older than the other.
What are you like there in between those two moments? At a central moment. Lets call it moment alpha.
If you said older than in the first and younger than in the second of the initial two moments, you'ld be right!

However, if time=zero between the two adjacent moments - if there is no room, so to speak, for moment alpha: if moment alpha is a timeless moment, just an instant, just a timeless location really, THEN what are you like?

INVISIBLE! That's what you'ld be, more precisely non-existent.

Is this at all helpful? Visualize. Poof, without time you do not exist.
So now what.
All that is left, to accept the inevitable fact that the (objective) existence of all things is an illusion, is to establish (in our minds) that even time itself does not exist.

I think I'll leave that for the experts.

:)