Endgame / Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
uncledote

Endgame / Enlightenment

Post by uncledote »

So, the endgame - enlightenment? To what end - so that we can become ultra aware of the entropy / heat death of the universe. Is that all there is?
Last edited by uncledote on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Endgame / Enlightenment

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Your question is confused by mixing two categories: you start with presuming a spiritual or philosophical term and then continue contrasting it with scientific views on the universe (e.g. cosmological theories) and then you finish with some teleology about purpose.

It means you're a bit all over the place. If there's no will to challenge this internally, then that's all there will ever be for you!
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Your question is confused by mixing two categories: you start with presuming a spiritual or philosophical term and then continue contrasting it with scientific views on the universe (e.g. cosmological theories) and then you finish with some teleology about purpose.

It means you're a bit all over the place. If there's no will to challenge this internally, then that's all there will ever be for you!

OK, let's say I'm willing to challenge this internally - how would I go about it?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

It's not any one else's, it's your task, your challenge! The way to go about it is also something you find out by raising the questions internally which is bound to be a struggle. There's really no one there to give pointers, at least not when you start with the most important questions. And you have to put everything on the line with this process. For example, if you ask yourself about purpose or just the question if you ever thought about something deeply enough. Or if you should. And if you're not sure, just draw your conclusion and stop. Put your energy in something you do know! This might all be escapism after all.

In my view the way of "going about it " is there all along, a mind-set, unless it's not and never will be. Here are questions you should not answer but take them with you. It's unlikely it takes less than months to make a dent.

- do you know what you meant with "enlightenment"? And if not certain, why even ask that question which implies you do.
- do you understand the philosophy of science and the uncertainties involved? How could you know about any definite end?
- what kind of answer would ever suffice, like when would you say "yes there is more than all that". Can you even imagine?
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

"put everything on the line with this process"

What does that mean - meditate 'till your ears fall off?

"do you know what you meant with "enlightenment"

Does anyone? Are you enlightened? Or just a self-appointed gatekeeper of a DEAD FORUM??
Maximiliano Vignaga

Post by Maximiliano Vignaga »

uncledote wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 pm So, the endgame - enlightenment? To what end - so that we can become ultra aware of the entropy / heat death of the universe. Is that all there is?
You have been a member on this forum for a long time, and I'm pretty sure you participated in older discussions. Shouldn't you know better?
Serendipper

Post by Serendipper »

uncledote wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 pm So, the endgame - enlightenment? To what end - so that we can become ultra aware of the entropy / heat death of the universe. Is that all there is?
From what I can tell from listening to others is that enlightenment ultimately becomes boring and you'll return to where you began... only with different eyes.

The heat death of the universe is not necessarily so. Entropy is a concept, not a law, and a definition of life is often the reversal of entropy.
What does that mean - meditate 'till your ears fall off?
If you pursue meditation for any reason other than simply because you enjoy it, then you're getting in your own way.
just a self-appointed gatekeeper of a DEAD FORUM??
Doubt he's self-appointed and let's hope it's not dead.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

You're coming to the table saying, 'so... endgames'. Then you proceed to ask me, 'to what end.' This makes no sense.

It doesn't make any sense to invent rules to a game and then ask other people how to play the game. You're the one talking about endgames; you tell me. What are you even talking about when you say 'endgame'?
a gutter rat looking at stars