Farewell Everyone :)

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
encode_decode

Farewell Everyone :)

Post by encode_decode »

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who interacted with me upon my short journey on this forum - I hope I have not upset anyone in the process. I misinterpreted the purpose of the forum. Knowing me I signed up while being tired or something like that.

I wish everyone the best in life and enlightenment.

:)

Bye bye.
Last edited by encode_decode on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Rowden

Re: Bounded Rationality

Post by Dan Rowden »

Can I ask what your goal in life is? Or your primary interest? I ask because you seem to be 'spraying' your interests around in these threads without maybe noticing that the core subject of this forum is enlightenment, and despite a slightly tangential theme, still is.

What philosophic question do you imagine cognitive limitations [whatever you imagine those to be] might apply to and if you're suffering from them how do you imagine you could know?

Or, to start from the start, is there anything you feel you can know without doubt?
encode_decode

Re: Bounded Rationality

Post by encode_decode »

Fair enough Dan. I think I maybe in the wrong place. I do appreciate the time people have taken here to answer questions. I will leave peacefully.

I thought it was a regular philosophy forum that highlighted enlightenment as its main theme. I honestly think it is a misinterpretation on my part.

My sincerest apologies :(

Sorry for the bother and any inconvenience I may have caused. I did not mean any disrespect to anyone.

I will sign off now and you are free to delete my posts.

If you would be so kind to delete my account I would greatly appreciate it. I did search for how to delete my membership but after some digging around I am under the impression that this can only be performed by an administrator.

Farewell to all and thanks again to everyone who interacted with me.

Live well and be happy.
jufa

Re: Farewell Everyone :)

Post by jufa »

I truly understand your position encode, for censorship, and manner of speech to another, by an individual who does not follow the guideline of the board is frustrating. This forum use to be alive. Every post was brisking with answers, now just look for yourself and see how far and in-between post are being posted.

A philosophy forum should have no limits to what is discussed, unless offensive and vulgar to other participants, especially when the guideline call for all kind of diverse variations. One can become so intellectual they push others away, or that is to say, one can be "A penny wise, and a pound foolish."

Restriction brings about animosity. Of course this is only my opinion, but is not philosophy a unrestricted venue?

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

jufa wrote:I truly understand your position encode, for censorship, and manner of speech to another, by an individual who does not follow the guideline of the board is frustrating. This forum use to be alive. Every post was brisking with answers, now just look for yourself and see how far and in-between post are being posted.
You are taking some effect and invent possible causes. From each ten thousand forums started around 2001-2004, 9999 have perished altogether. It's perfectly okay for this forum to be quiet after it ran its course. If anything, many people stopped visiting because at times the mindlessness and other abuse on display became a bit too much. Or they just had other things to do.
Restriction brings about animosity. Of course this is only my opinion, but is not philosophy a unrestricted venue?
He was not given any restrictions though. He appears to have been running into his own limitation and sensitivities. Also he kept substantially changing his original posts after the conversation already move on. That's a bit odd.

And now suddenly leaving, erasing, removing accounts? I think E.D should have stayed and worked it out, something was bugging him from the start (a passive aggressive thing if you ask me). In general I didn't mind his posts at all. It was unclear what he wanted though, just thinking out loud I suppose.
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode »

No way Diebert - from my view you seem to have made up your mind about me - passive aggressive. Hilarious. I can be just as aggressive as the next person but what is the point of that. I find all of you interesting. I have nothing to offer the forum in way of enlightenment - the forum seems to have found plenty of that. Is there something wrong with what I talk about? You stated yourself that you had no problem with it. You called me out when I messed up - I attempted to make a correction based on your suggestion. I changed two posts - I am new to this forum.

I have never fit in well with any group of people. Of course I am interested in the absolute but there is enough for me to read; so why should I write about it?

I am fully engaged in machine intelligence and am happy about that. I think a lot of modern science is complete rubbish. I am sick to death of statistical studies that lead to no experimentation. I am sick to death of the mainstream medias rubbish and for that matter a lot of the alternative medias crap too. This world has the propensity to drive me insane. I accept the way things are for me - I talk rubbish too - that is what everyone tells me - I don't believe it at all - I will tell you why - because when I create things, they actually work. I came to this forum thinking I was entering a realm of people who had open minds - open to infinity - I tried to hide my intentions on purpose so as not to bore the shit out of everyone - I do not know how to form conversation without the help of others especially in a realm I know very little about - that would be philosophy.

I really don't know what else to say. I believe everyone has limitations and I am trying my best to overcome them - I will happily do this all by myself if I have to - as there seems to be no part of the world that I fit into. I don't care. I will tell you what is bugging me - everywhere I turn it seems people want to tell me how I should be thinking and these things I get told seem to be full of errors from my point of view. I like to use deduction, induction and abduction and extend these to even more loose fitting and in other case tight fitting methods. I am who I am and I cannot seem to escape that - I am not sure that I want to.

So you tell me whether I fit in here - I was trying to leave peacefully and not upset the balance here but I find myself provoked to say something more.

I am trying to understand things from the simplest angles to the most complicated means - on purpose. I have to leave some stones where they are - especially the ones that have rubbish under them. I can not change the world. I could just run away from it - that has appealed to me many times. One day I am going to die - shit happens - does not scare me at all.

Either way I am welcome here or I am not welcome here - that is the question. I give myself to no-one - I learn from everyone. I have no interest in being a "sheeple" in any format. If I can apply enlightened principles in my everyday work then all the better as far as I am concerned. If I become more enlightened in the process then I am happy.

I am happy to stay and work it out - but if I am expected to become a mini version of anyone else - that is not going to happen - ever!

The reason I am willing to leave is simple - I was starting to get the impression that I was messing with the flow of things around here - I don't want to do that. I did not come here to push my beliefs on anyone. I am happy to discuss my beliefs but quite frankly I just enjoy some company as it becomes available.

Your move.
Diebert van Rhijn

encode_decode wrote:No way Diebert - from my view you seem to have made up your mind about me - passive aggressive.
The reason I suggested that term was because you said you will leave peacefully while making also clear this forum was in your view not "highlighting enlightenment as its main theme" without even discussing that notion, like explaining us why that is or how you'd like to see it instead. When I noticed the sudden goodbye it told me you might have a lot more to say, perhaps critique, doubts or disagreements. It would be good if you can share those at some point but you don't have to of course.
I have never fit in well with any group of people. Of course I am interested in the absolute but there is enough for me to read; so why should I write about it?
Free free to come, go, take a break, wise up, try again and so on. Just stop writing any time if you think it's not for you. Or sleep on it for a while. There are dozens of irregular members doing that right now. There are weeks, sometimes months, when you wouldn't see certain members, including myself, so much around. Plus, it's not a busy forum apart from the incidental crisis.
I came to this forum thinking I was entering a realm of people who had open minds - open to infinity - I tried to hide my intentions on purpose so as not to bore the shit out of everyone - I do not know how to form conversation without the help of others especially in a realm I know very little about - that would be philosophy.
Perhaps just try to have a bit of more patience with others? It's understood you find forming conversations difficult. And I might not be that good either, sometimes people think I'm attacking while I was just inquiring or providing a bit of challenge or pressure which I think can serve a conversation. But it might not always work well, it's just the way I roll, no apologies from me either :)
I will tell you what is bugging me - everywhere I turn it seems people want to tell me how I should be thinking and these things I get told seem to be full of errors from my point of view. I like to use deduction, induction and abduction and extend these to even more loose fitting and in other case tight fitting methods. I am who I am and I cannot seem to escape that - I am not sure that I want to.
But don't you suspect you might be doing the same when people read or listen to your words and try to understand you? It's giving and taking in that realm. One person relates some belief or insight and expects there's at least a shared concept agreed on ("how to think"). When that sharing not happens, there's this stand-off. How to proceed thoughtfully?
Either way I am welcome here or I am not welcome here - that is the question. I give myself to no-one - I learn from everyone. I have no interest in being a "sheeple" in any format. If I can apply enlightened principles in my everyday work then all the better as far as I am concerned. If I become more enlightened in the process then I am happy.
I'm sure you'd feel more welcome if you can step over the little things. Just post when you feel like and respond on what you find interesting to respond to. The art of stepping over what you don't find worthwhile or when just not sure what to think.
The reason I am willing to leave is simple - I was starting to get the impression that I was messing with the flow of things around here - I don't want to do that. I did not come here to push my beliefs on anyone. I am happy to discuss my beliefs but quite frankly I just enjoy some company as it becomes available.
Don't worry about it. But some people are curious to find out what you want or what you believe. It was not meant to force anything but I can see how it might have come across. But thanks for the thoughtful comeback. In the end it's up to you of course. If you don't feel comfortable or if you think the topics here are not really within your range of interests, it's perfectly normal to move on. But I'd like to see more of your thought processes over time.
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

encode_decode

If you have not read this, I'd highly recommend it.

http://members.optushome.com.au/davidqu ... ntents.htm

A lot of David Quinn's links don't seem to work now, but the above is fine.

This is also good value

http://geniusrealms.com/blogosphere/?page_id=14
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode »

@jimhaz - thank you jimhaz- I have already been enjoying the http://geniusrealms.com/ - I do mention the "Physicists:‭ ‬The Great Pretenders" article in one of my posts as it is one of my favorites. I also have thought that Richard Dawkins is an idiot for a long time - I don't hate Richard Dawkins - I just do not fully respect his angle on life. I was surprised to hear what I heard from Lawrence Krauss - I have been out of the physics realm for at least ten years. I think Lawrence really needs to re-think what he is saying.

As for the link to "The Wisdom of the Infinite" - I really appreciate that - I downloaded the chm file so that I can read it offline.

I would have done this much earlier but I do not have a great deal of time to look around unfortunately so therefore you have made it much easier for me.

Thanks again jimhaz.

encode_decode

Post by encode_decode »

David Quinn wrote:If the conditions are ripe for a particular thought to arise, then it will arise - without any hesitation at all.
This is exactly what I experience in life - all the time for that matter. Is it for others to dispute?
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode »

Apologies for the huge quote.
David Quinn wrote:Again, the important point is that one needs to broaden one’s conception of causation so that it necessarily includes everything that could possibly exist. If that means abandoning narrower conceptions of causation, then so be it. In the end, the affirmation of the principle of causation only requires one thing from us - namely, the recognition that nothing can arise without any cause whatsoever. That is all that is needed. It does not require us to affirm or reject particular models of causation. It does not require us to reject non-linear dynamics or quantum phenomena or mystical experiences from the causal realm. All of these things involve causation in one form or another. While it is true that it is almost impossible to describe the behaviour of these complex phenomena with the old classical models of causation inherited from 19th century physics, it doesn’t really mean anything. All it means is that those particular models are limited in their scope. It does not change the fact that these phenomena, like all phenomena in the Universe, always follow the age-old process of things being generated by causal conditions.
This tells me that I am fine to continue along with what I am doing. Maybe not on the forum but in my life. Either way it is incredibly hard for me to abandon this text that I have quoted.

Skipping along a bit:
David Quinn wrote:From a logical point of view, it is easy to see that the process of cause and effect is necessarily causeless. This is because anything which can be postulated as being the cause of cause and effect will automatically be a part of cause and effect itself. It is thus irrational to think of cause and effect as being causally created in any way. It has always been around. There has never been a time when it was absent.
Thus far I fail to see how anything that I have written conflicts with this.

One final quote for now:
David Quinn wrote:Not only must it necessarily form the kernel of any theory we care to create about the world, but it is plainly visible in every aspect of our daily lives.
Cause and effect is the kernel of all my theories and actions. If anyone thinks otherwise then I am happy to read some logical idea that proves me wrong.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

David Quinn wrote:
If the conditions are ripe for a particular thought to arise, then it will arise - without any hesitation at all.
encode_decode wrote: This is exactly what I experience in life - all the time for that matter. Is it for others to dispute?
encode_decode, was caused to delete my post, :-) to David, blessings to you and all who are reading these words.
Last edited by Pam Seeback on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

encode_decode wrote:
David Quinn wrote:If the conditions are ripe for a particular thought to arise, then it will arise - without any hesitation at all.
This is exactly what I experience in life - all the time for that matter. Is it for others to dispute?
Yes, if they are caused to!
Diebert van Rhijn

My sincere apologies to Encode for his thread being forced to include now the opinionated, relative but always spiky discussion around moderation while the topic at hand was eternal life and death, so to speak. For this reason, I've moved all related posts to the section created for this called "Helpdesk" in the thread "Moderation issues".
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode »

@Diebert

I think the best two threads I initiated were:
  • 1. Why do people have the desire to talk?
    2. Where does meaning come from?
We could just delete the two particular threads with the following titles:
  • Farewell Everyone :)
    Cause and effect
Both of which I initiated and have no reason to believe serve any further purpose.

We can put all of this behind us. I think that this sounds like a good idea. What do you think?

That way the forum can return to enlightenment, the absolute, genius and The Wisdom of the Infinite - I am not sure what anyone else thinks about this; it is just an idea.
jufa

Post by jufa »

encode_decode wrote:@Diebert

Cause and effect
Both of which I initiated and have no reason to believe serve any further purpose.

We can put all of this behind us. I think that this sounds like a good idea. What do you think?

That way the forum can return to enlightenment, the absolute, genius and The Wisdom of the Infinite - I am not sure what anyone else thinks about this; it is just an idea.
encode_decode wrote:I thought I would post a copy of another post here so if the other two threads are deleted as per my suggestion everyone would understand it was done because Diebert and I are willing to put aside our differences regarding recent events.

@Diebert

Cause and effect

This thread, and the other you listed here should not be deleted from the standpoint they deliver the Cause and Effect which has brought back rational deduction to ego's, and have started a healing process this forum needed to be what it is intended to be.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
Diebert van Rhijn

encode_decode wrote:We could just delete the two particular threads .. both of which I initiated and have no reason to believe serve any further purpose.
That's not very practical, since more people already contributed to these topics and might have other ideas. This is what I meant with "step over the little things". Step over your self, the created threads, any discussions which didn't end satisfactory and so on. They "ran its course" which doesn't mean they need to be binned. Then we'd become 4chan.org! Which is in itself not a bad idea for a philosophy discussion, just a real free flow with it all disappearing again when there's no interest to continue. Kind of disposable, faster moving content. At least people would not be tempted to "own" anything on it as it would be gone next week anyway. No reason to move or delete anything at all! Ever! Tempting idea to practise "non-attachment to ones words". Meme generating chaos.
encode_decode

Post by encode_decode »

It does not bother me. It was just a suggestion. I have no reason to start a conversation about it.