Statement about Solway and Trump

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Santiago Odo

Re: Statement about Solway and Trump

Post by Santiago Odo »

Diebert wrote:A more interesting inquiry would be the topic of legal status and marriage in modern times. How I read David here (and I agree with him) is the question for what reason one would prevent gays to obtain the sense of equality within a certain institution. Any anti-gay activism in this sense would require belief in the "purity" and sanity of the thing one now is suddenly "defending" against corruption.
Interesting. I note that if you could not, and by that I mean 'ethically' and in accord with a recognized and articulated principle already yours, make the case; and you would need that someone make this case for you, that you clearly reveal your position. The question is then thrust back in your difection: Why would you encourage gays to marry with the same legal and social status? I think it is safe to say that for most of man's time so far on the terraqueous planet that at all points the notion of a man marrying a man (or a woman a woman) could only have been seen as perverse. It stands to *reason* but the reason is not reasoned. It if felt. It is (excude the dramatic term) a *metaphysical abomination*.

So actually, the more interesting fact to notice, or the question to ask, is How has it come about that you, for example, do not see it similarly? What is the causation that has led to your position?

In my own view I have to state that among themselves gays can now do whatever they want to do and if conducting a marriage ceremony is their desire, they can do this. They can in fact do what they want to do and in this the liberal cultural allows them most everything. But from the Christian and the religious perspective, of course, they cannot and *should not* (according to them) be given Heavenly Recognition. And at that point there enters in the 'abomination' aspect. I do not lose sleep over this issue myself, but I must say that I do understand their position.

To understand how homosexual values and attitudes have 'conquered' and 'seduced' culture is a far more interesting conversation than the one that would defend the falling away from the ability to have and hold clearly defined values within established hierarchies. To that end, I would suggest a close reading of 'After the Ball: How America Will Conquer Its Fear and Hatred of Gays in the 90s' (this is the manual that describes how it was done and what was done, encapsulations are available to read on-line).

This is one aspect of 'liberalism' and 'hyper-liberalism': It can achieve results with a concerted effort in shifting established cultural values. It does this through vast machinations of culture: tv, movies, talk shows, and a form of social shaming. Without these, it would not be able to carry it out. But now there is a danger: these changes are superficial and not profound. The social body rises up in opposition and will overturn the hyper-liberal attainments.

Do you think that is true?

When one understands the 'acidic 'effects of 'Cultural Marxism' and how, quite quickly, these influences lead to a cultural destruction, it seems to me that philosophes would come forward to articulate these processes, to critique them, and to propose counter-movements to them. What I have always noticed in much of your discourse is something I could only describe from a distance and very generally. I would say it like this but only to try to encapsulate it into a form that has some thrust: You do not seem able to articulate a position for construction. But you have a tremendous amount to say, and you contribute to, processes of coming apart. I mean this in both the metaphorical sense and a real sense of tending to that 'Winter' you seem to almost desire.

Is this unfair and moreover is it inaccurate as a view? Am I right in this or am I wrong?
Last edited by Santiago Odo on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
You I'll never leave
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

jupiviv wrote:Just out of curiosity, what has Trump done to provoke assassination? He clearly has no quarrel with the MIC or the oil industry.
What has he done? Nothing yet. But we all remember his threats to imprison Hillary and "drain the swamp." It isn't hard to find a list of Clinton crimes online, including apparent murders and protection of rapists, Bill included. Hillary has been working in Washington for a long time so it isn't hard to imagine that there being many like her still within the government. I suspect Bannon and co., due to their radical differences in views and ideas with the establishment, would rather get rid of large groups of government employment than work things out with them. This would obviously piss a lot of people off.

But I suspect that there won't be too much of that. Now that he's in office, I'm imagine Trump, being the celebrity that he is, would rather relish the moment and put up with the corruption, indeed partake in a bit of it, in order to fulfill his lifelong dream of running the big show. He's already appointed Goldman Sachs officials, the most corrupt Wall St. establishment in US history, so now his hands are already dirty, depending on what he's doing with them.

Crime organizations protect themselves by corrupting those around them. This has been going on for a long time within the government, many decades. The last good president was Kennedy, and we know what happened to him. We live under an oligarchy masquerading as a democracy, which was originally built as a republic, or democratic republic, to be specific.

So despite appearances, the Western world has been in a downward spiral for a long time. It is only in recent years that this has become obvious to most people.
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

The LGBTQ movement is the result of large factions of both Hollywood and the government themselves being sexual deviants. This can only be the explanation when such groups make up less than 4 percent of the population. Fame and power can make people do strange things.

Alex, I'm going to come right out and ask it. Are you gay? Bi? Admit it!
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

David: It is one thing to want to take down the political elites, the oligarchs, their corrupt networks, etc, but quite another to push for a force so destructive that it unravels the entire system for everyone. I’m not sure it is possible to judge how destructive Trump could or could not be in this regard. Too many people are underestimating him, in my opinion.

When the Trump-effect is understood from the position of wisdom, it is not a matter of under or over estimating Trump's power to destroy the system, it is a matter of understanding why systems and their Trump-leader-types exist at all.

From the position of wisdom, Trump is but another example of man's attempt to effect an external safety net of order to soothe his unconscious fear of a God/Maker whose ultimate reason/matrix - and by default, man's ultimate reason/matrix - cannot be known. Until man becomes conscious of why he suffers - he's trying to grasp the ungraspable - Trumpism will exist in some form.

This is why the most important task of those who have become conscious of their own fear of 'the void' and have found the way to end it is to make others (according to their ability) conscious of this same path.
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

Un-gay, Russell. My vagina-fascination has been marked as a constant throughout my existence. But I have gone for long long periods of time with no contacts. Married now but it is largely a chaste relationship. Love is for the poets, sexual obsession for the Satyrs.

You?
You I'll never leave
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Bah. It had been a long time suspicion of mine considering the "cross-dressing" of usernames and your attraction to the role of being a stark counter to the values and people here.

As for me, I'm straight as an arrow. I've had a "girlfriend" (more like FWB) for almost 8 years now due to my seemingly unshakable sexual obsession. It is my greatest sin. Maybe it's because I'm half black? It is a semi long distance relationship (she lives over 40 miles from me) and I see her about twice a month.
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

Reminds me of Othello:

Duke of Venice: "And, noble seignior / If virtue no delighted beauty lack / Your son-in-law is far more fair than black."

So, in your mind there is a correspondence between sex-identity and the choice of user-names on a forum?

'The values of the people here' are not quite as uniform as you seem to think. Essentially though, my entire relationship with this forum, and with everything that I do intellectually, and not only that but in relation to my wife's child and her half-brother, for whom I have shared responsibility and guided their education, is to define what 'value' is.

Now, if you consider yourself a monk and desire to live a monastic life, I can image that a sexual obsession (your term) would prove an obstacle of sorts. But it is too an anchor.

We often choose complications for irrational reasons which then turn out to have a larger rational purpose (for this reason I am suspicious of 'rationalism' which is an illusion in some senses). Oddly enough, I avoided sexual obsession for the entirety of my adult life. In fact I actually avoided almost all aspects of substantial involvement with women though I was *with* many women. It was only as a result of one relationship, just a few years back, that I came to understand what sexual obsession is. Why then did I choose it? It actually and really and truly is a psychic damage, and I have had to pay the price, though the effect one remained ignorant of in the course of it.

I think that you must hold in your mind that though these fellows (as I affectionately call them) have gotten so much entirely wrong, and may not themselves be able to correct their paths, yet nevertheless they did establish something with a certain nobility. No, nobility is not the right word. Intensity? Clear focus? That is the power of definition though. It would be interesting, and it is an interesting topic, to see how the people who have come into contact with this particular forum have, over time, evolved with the radicalism one encounters here.

What interests me is the apparent division that has opened which has so many levels of implication. That topic will be broached, but it will largely be avoided. That has meaning all in itself.
You I'll never leave
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

Pam, I am curious to know how you view your understanding of God, which clearly has a theistic aspect, in contrast to that of many who have written on this forum which is that no 'god' can exist and there can be no guiding or superior consciousness, nor 'creator'.

What you wrote, just above, reminded me of the 2nd chapter of Corintians and that is why I ask. You seem clearly a theistic Buddhist-like person.
You I'll never leave
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Santiago Odo wrote:sexual obsession (your term)
Actually I lifted it from your response. It isn't so much an obsession but I don't see myself going totally celibate for a while.
I think that you must hold in your mind that though these fellows (as I affectionately call them) have gotten so much entirely wrong, and may not themselves be able to correct their paths, yet nevertheless they did establish something with a certain nobility. No, nobility is not the right word. Intensity? Clear focus? That is the power of definition though. It would be interesting, and it is an interesting topic, to see how the people who have come into contact with this particular forum have, over time, evolved with the radicalism one encounters here.
Not as much as you think. As has been pointed out numerous times, this topic and these conversations are largely irrelevant. We all have different lives, different habits, different sources of information, different ideas about how the empirical world works. But we do indeed have a specific something in common.

That something is what you just don't get. In fact, you're the only one of the active members that doesn't. You expose this nearly every time you post, including in your latest response to Pam. It's obvious that she uses theistic language in a metaphorical sense.

I know this has been asked of you before, but for a refresher, are you theistic? Atheistic? What exact role does spirituality play in your personal life?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Santiago Odo wrote:I think it is safe to say that for most of man's time so far on the terraqueous planet that at all points the notion of a man marrying a man (or a woman a woman) could only have been seen as perverse.
But "marriage" does not mean the same thing (and still doesn't) in all the different ages and cultures. To invoke that suggestion, like you seem to do, would be a different project altogether, like it would be to discuss modern separation of church and state.
But from the Christian and the religious perspective, of course, they cannot and *should not* (according to them) be given Heavenly Recognition.
Any Christian group can give or withhold religious blessings as they seem fit. That still has nothing to do with civil marriage! But here the issue was about any attempt to prevent homosexuals to obtain the same legal status for partnerships as the heterosexual, if they desire to. Perhaps the better word for it is indifference. As for any value of various possible sacred bonds between people: I think that's a different discussion. For me personally, not a very interesting talk to have right now.
The social body rises up in opposition and will overturn the hyper-liberal attainments.
That uprising seems just a spectacle so far, mostly a televised, twitterized revolution, at least in the West. It's not going to do anything but that hasn't dawned yet on that oppositional "social body", at least the one I have in mind. Much of it is fantasy based. Then again, I'm not opposed to fantasy either.
I would say it like this but only to try to encapsulate it into a form that has some thrust: You do not seem able to articulate a position for construction. But you have a tremendous amount to say, and you contribute to, processes of coming apart.
While I think I'm able to see some of the new and embryological, as a horizon of possibilities, it does not need advertising or nurturing. That would be like nurturing or promoting Earth's orbit. Truly new developments have hardly any language yet available, no clear concepts available to describe it in. That's the main reason it's not being discussed. I mean, the future is already arriving, it's not exactly hiding. But people generally live in the past with the referential, the historical as body. It cannot be expected people will know or understand what hits them next. It's not overnight though, probably more akin to slowly boiling a frog.
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

Russell:

I honestly do not see 'atheism' as a realistic position to have in any ultimate sense. This can be explained. I do find an atheistic position as a useful philosophical position or a stance within conversation. Especially when people of very different orientations come together. Probably best to keep one's *real position* in the background.

I define a man's *real position*, and my own, in the following way. I am aware that I am a being in a body. I am a being that apparently has a body. Everything about me occurs within that frame and it is the most constant aspect of my being. There are differing levels of consciousness that I experience, from that of sleep to various states of awareness. There is a mental side when I am in a sense most removed from sensations of the body, and other states where I am less mental and very much in my body (for example in the gym or, not to make Jup queasy, but when having sex). There are all manner of different states in relation to my own being. That is, my awareness of my being which I call 'my soul'. I am a soul then, in a body, with consciousness.

Things have impinged upon me, and things constantly impinge upon me, which act to increase my awareness. I have an anecdote that I find useful: My wifes hal-brother is 16 years old. It was not hard for me to notice how he was neglected in many ways (it is a long story and not relevant). I do not live with him and I do not have much relationship with him nor my wife's mother (and I don't want much to do with them for various reasons). But, over time I have been a force behind the scenes in his life and he is 100% unaware that I have done this. I encouraged my wife to enroll him in the Scouts; to find a psychologist, a school tutor, and a reading instructor and of course I have been paying for it. Over the course of 2 years of intervention, invisibly, the results have been remarkable and noticeable. He has come out of his shell, is doing well in school, has made many new friends, and has an outward-looking, positive stance on things.

Who did this? How did it come about? As I meditated on it, I mean the factor of being an invisible agent of influence, I became intuitively aware that a man's life is like this. I have no doubt that I have been similarly 'supervised'. By what? That of course is the puzzling question. But I have to return to my 'definition' of myself, and thus of man.

Man is largely unaware of his 'locality'. I mean his body, his awareness-in-a-body, his self. Its the Heideggerian 'worlding' thing. He is just doing what he must do as a result of being here, in his circumstances. But there is something mysterious about his being, his awareness, his *soul* within his body-frame. Again, things come to bear on us, I am not sure if we can really say what they are. Sunslight for example. What is it? What happens there when, eyes closed, I feel the sun? I could probably never make myself clear except, of course, through poetic allusions. But there are things about our being which are charged with hidden mystery. Yet, from time to time, awareness comes to impinge on us. And if we react to the *call* as it were with some level of *response* we find ourself, mysteriously and strangely, in a relationship iof conscious interaction with something distinct from our own self.

Historically, that is within language traditions, literary traditions, traditions of explanation, there are many ways to represent *that*. If I were an angelologist I would use one set of language terms. If I were an adwaitist of some Hindu school I would be compelled to use another. If I were a Jungian, another. And so on and so forth. But what is really happening?

Yes, very certainly, I would have to be described as a theist. A 'qualified-theist' is how it might be described within the Indian traditions (and they have all manner of gradients). But I can definitely say, unlike most or many here, that I can 'work God'. That is, with focus I can make what I call The Divine make itself known to me. I see this in simple terms, but they are terms of the *soul* (and the psyche and of course psychology). For example, yesterday and last night I was particularly concerned about certain aspects of my life, certain things that I have lived and regretted (that is the closest way to say it). Because of my focus, and because I invited (shall we say) what is not-me to participate in the solution or the unraveling of this issue, I got immediate response. It happened at 3:39 AM after a series of dreams which, pretty clearly, revealed to me what I was up against.

What did this, Russel? What answers me through my own self, or through my own *being*? Again, in different circumstances (time and place, historical moment) we have different symbol-systems we employ to describe our *experience*. To me it is sheer mystery.

In this sense, or with this as a backdrop, I have come to see myself as a 'Johannine Christian'. John is sort of the oddball. Whatever that Gospel is about, it is not quite the same as the others. But I only mean this as a reference. The 'johannine realm' is 'en arche hos logos kai logos hos pros theon' (In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God). In my simple mind, this means that within our consciousness and in the conception of things, anything, all things (concept and Word are non-different) are imagined. We are creatures who imagine. I mean this quite literally: to image something. We perceive through what we image. We are creatures of image.

We have no idea, not really, what is going on with all that. We are simply in it, it is a part of us, it is us, it defines us, we have no other way to be. For me, and 'within all that', I am not alone. I am part-and-parcel of a much greater something.

Now, we live in shattered circumstances. Conceptually of course. For example, just recently, Diebert repeated the old saw 'God is dead and we killed him' (dead and buried, redead and reburied is how Diebert put it, to emphasize). I do not, at all, accept the inner core of that declaration, by no means. The outer aspect, well, that can be discussed. But that is the reason for the outer collapse. It is relational to what happens inside us. And in this sense we are in relationship to our culture.

Because, like so many, like us all, I am a product of the circumstances of dissolution and shattering of a special sort (see Waldo Frank who nicely expresses it and how it came about), I am part and I have a relationship to these collapses. If we were not in collapse we might be in some other stage of historical life. When people are in collapse, they get (especially) lost and they then require unique events to bring them out of collapse. Everything that I do, study, think, speculate about, has to do with coming to terms with what it means to be in collapse.
You I'll never leave
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Santiago Odo wrote:I think it is safe to say that for most of man's time so far on the terraqueous planet that at all points the notion of a man marrying a man (or a woman a woman) could only have been seen as perverse. It stands to *reason* but the reason is not reasoned. It if felt. It is (excude the dramatic term) a *metaphysical abomination*.
From a purely empirical as opposed to "metaphysical" perspective, gay sexuality is identical to straight sexuality in that the male-female dynamic is *universally* present. One of the partners feels comfortable being the male, and the other the female. What should be denounced is not homosexuality but rather the unconsciousness which pervades *all* human sexuality.

Disgust towards homosexuality in itself is irrational, whatever its causes. In your case, the cause is that you're a closet faggot. That's why you only think in henids. Apperception via hermetic literature and ethno-religio-cultural fantasies is the only standard of truth you know.
Things have impinged upon me, and things constantly impinge upon me, which act to increase my awareness. I have an anecdote that I find useful: My wifes hal-brother is 16 years old. It was not hard for me to notice how he was neglected in many ways (it is a long story and not relevant). I do not live with him and I do not have much relationship with him nor my wife's mother (and I don't want much to do with them for various reasons). But, over time I have been a force behind the scenes in his life and he is 100% unaware that I have done this. I encouraged my wife to enroll him in the Scouts; to find a psychologist, a school tutor, and a reading instructor and of course I have been paying for it. Over the course of 2 years of intervention, invisibly, the results have been remarkable and noticeable. He has come out of his shell, is doing well in school, has made many new friends, and has an outward-looking, positive stance on things.
Correction: you're a closet faggot who fantasises about plowing his imaginary half-brother-in-law.
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

You are on fire these days, Jupi!
You I'll never leave
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

Jupiviv wrote:From a purely empirical as opposed to "metaphysical" perspective, gay sexuality is identical to straight sexuality in that the male-female dynamic is *universally* present. One of the partners feels comfortable being the male, and the other the female. What should be denounced is not homosexuality but rather the unconsciousness which pervades *all* human sexuality.
I did listen to your discourse on this topic. I can well understand how this declaration flows from your pet predicates. One thing follows another.

But to understand why, for example, many Christians and various religious-founded people find male-male and female-female union an *abomination* requires grasping, and understanding, different predicates. I tend to see homosexual union and marriage as something that should be shunned. It should not ever gain a status in people's eyes equal to that of a productive biological-male and biological-female union. But that is because I subscribe I guess, more or less, to the predicates that render this necessary.
You I'll never leave
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Santiago Odo wrote:Man is largely unaware of his 'locality'. I mean his body, his awareness-in-a-body, his self. Its the Heideggerian 'worlding' thing. He is just doing what he must do as a result of being here, in his circumstances. But there is something mysterious about his being, his awareness, his *soul* within his body-frame. Again, things come to bear on us, I am not sure if we can really say what they are. Sunslight for example. What is it? What happens there when, eyes closed, I feel the sun? I could probably never make myself clear except, of course, through poetic allusions. But there are things about our being which are charged with hidden mystery. Yet, from time to time, awareness comes to impinge on us. And if we react to the *call* as it were with some level of *response* we find ourself, mysteriously and strangely, in a relationship iof conscious interaction with something distinct from our own self.
All you're saying here is that we all have numerous causes, some of which we may never be able to discern. Nothing new. That's great you've been able to help your half-brother-in-law.
Yes, very certainly, I would have to be described as a theist. A 'qualified-theist' is how it might be described within the Indian traditions (and they have all manner of gradients). But I can definitely say, unlike most or many here, that I can 'work God'. That is, with focus I can make what I call The Divine make itself known to me. I see this in simple terms, but they are terms of the *soul* (and the psyche and of course psychology). For example, yesterday and last night I was particularly concerned about certain aspects of my life, certain things that I have lived and regretted (that is the closest way to say it). Because of my focus, and because I invited (shall we say) what is not-me to participate in the solution or the unraveling of this issue, I got immediate response. It happened at 3:39 AM after a series of dreams which, pretty clearly, revealed to me what I was up against.

What did this, Russel? What answers me through my own self, or through my own *being*? Again, in different circumstances (time and place, historical moment) we have different symbol-systems we employ to describe our *experience*. To me it is sheer mystery.
This is called your intuition. Your subconscious assists you by bringing up relevant thoughts and ideas to your problems and concerns. For you or anyone to suggest something supernatural here is just wishful thinking.

It seems you are in love with mystery. That you prefer superstition over knowledge in absolution. This tells me that you shun responsibility over your own thoughts and actions. Is it that you've done or experienced something so tragic, so horrible in the past that you refuse to take or assign blame for it? Maybe, maybe not but I can't help but wonder these things. You seem like a trauma victim unable to cope with something. After all...
Probably best to keep one's *real position* in the background.
It has always seemed that you are hiding something.
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Santiago Odo wrote:But to understand why, for example, many Christians and various religious-founded people find male-male and female-female union an *abomination* requires grasping, and understanding, different predicates. I tend to see homosexual union and marriage as something that should be shunned. It should not ever gain a status in people's eyes equal to that of a productive biological-male and biological-female union. But that is because I subscribe I guess, more or less, to the predicates that render this necessary.
Homosexuality (unlearned, that is) is nothing more than the result of random genetic mutation. Completely natural, but obviously does nothing to enhance the chances of genetic survival. Disconcertion towards it is a natural response arising from primal instinct. It is a deviation from the norm, but it isn't bad in itself.
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

All you're saying here is that we all have numerous causes, some of which we may never be able to discern. Nothing new. That's great you've been able to help your half-brother-in-law.
Well, in my view I am saying a great deal more, so what I notice is that you seem to lack the mechanism to receive and understand it. But you do know that that is fairly typical, right? What I mean is that people who orient themselves, or who are oriented in that way by birth or disposition, as I have described, usually are able to communicate their understanding of things very well to those similarly oriented. But there is a sort of divide between what perhaps are different 'types' to use the Jungian category.

The forum was established by 3 blokes with a very distinctive 'typology' and, mostly, they attract people who share it. But this type is very rigid and can become, in its worst manfestation, doctrinaire and very harsh of judgment. This largely describes David's 'type' (I only refer to him because it is convenient). I see myself as capable of moving somewhat more fluidly between 'types' and I also don't have difficulties seeing how other people 'orient their consciousness'.

You are of a fairly rigid type and you tend to externalize your viewpoint and imagine that your 'imposition' on what you have recently called 'empiricism' is 'true' and you sincerely believe it amounts to an accurate description. In fact, there are no other descriptions possible, you are that sure.

People who see in that way have their use of course. But they often do not recognize that when they go too far in their 'assertions' they often 'get it wrong'.
This is called your intuition. Your subconscious assists you by bringing up relevant thoughts and ideas to your problems and concerns. For you or anyone to suggest something supernatural here is just wishful thinking.
This is you imagining that by assigning a description you have said, really, anything at all! You have not. What you have done is to have applied a reduction; a convenient explanation that would seem to keep you from a more profound understanding. This is the result of the 'doctrinaire' typology. 'Oh that. That's just ...." and you fill in the blank with a reduction which says little and means less. What after all is 'subconscious'? You refer to it as if you understand it, have it all figured out. But I know that you do not have the foggiest idea what you are talking about. Yet you are talking, and therein lies the problem. I do not (sincerely) mean to insult you. But you surely must understand that to refer to a term 'subconscious' is to explain away an element and aspect of perception, and of being, which can only be a profound mystery. But I mean mystery differently from how you take it. In the same sense that our existence, and life itself, and the possibility of existence --- that things exist --- is a mystery. We stand before it incapable of defining it. So, when one traces how it is that ideas come to one, or how it is that an aspect of consciousness reveals itself to us, and inner awareness, and 'epiphany' and even 'understanding' or communication of meaning, in fact we are talking about imponderables. Ah, right, except to people with your orientation who have the predilection of reducing all things to reductions.

You are wrong to say I am 'in love' with mystery. That implies romanticism. I refer to things which are, deeply and profoundly, mysterious and unfathomable. If you haven'y encountered mystery and imponderability in your inner, spiritual life, or even as you gaze out on the manifest world, I have no idea how to communicate with you.

Knoweldge that is a catalogue of known and discussable things, is possible and necessary when such things are knowable. Usually within limited sets. Yet there is a 'type of mind' which seems to imagine that this catalogue of reductionism can be applied to all things, including existence itself. But there are things about existence, about being, about knowledge, about life and many other things, that are not revealed by access to a catalogue, nor known to the cataloguing mind. This mind, often, shuts itself up within its certainties and prefers, as you seem to, to interchange with similarly oriented folks. In this way each one shores the other up.

The final flourish is, don't you think? a sort of absolutist's applied psychology, wouldn't you say? Whatever caused that leap of connection-making?

True, what I described is, according to my means and my resources, an intimation of a theistically-oriented person's means of speaking about their understanding. But I do not require mysterious explanations to explain many other, tangible and mundane things. But when it comes to *meaning* (that something has meaning, that things, events, episodes, and experience) can have meaning, well, that is a mysterious realm. But I do not think you will easily grasp what I mean when I use the common word: meaning. I suggest though that what is there to be understood is infra-rational. Another spectrum of knowledge perhaps?
You I'll never leave
Santiago Odo

Post by Santiago Odo »

I am not enought interested in the topic of homosexuality in modernity to continue forward a discussion of it. I am sure that I could expound my case with reasonable success. But I also respect, and understand, how other people arrive at their tolerant attitude.
You I'll never leave
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

No one has mentioned The Last Man as yet, although the Übermensch has been mentioned, so I suppose it has been covered.

I kind of feel we are so far into the Last Man era, that Trump’s election was just a unconscious way of rejecting that, not so much for the idealism of the Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqrCG_CQUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tnPGJnOhDY
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Infowars. Infowars. Juicy, huh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn2kuT6Xx8w
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Santiago Odo wrote:
Jupiviv wrote:From a purely empirical as opposed to "metaphysical" perspective, gay sexuality is identical to straight sexuality in that the male-female dynamic is *universally* present. One of the partners feels comfortable being the male, and the other the female. What should be denounced is not homosexuality but rather the unconsciousness which pervades *all* human sexuality.
I did listen to your discourse on this topic. I can well understand how this declaration flows from your pet predicates. One thing follows another.

But to understand why, for example, many Christians and various religious-founded people find male-male and female-female union an *abomination* requires grasping, and understanding, different predicates. I tend to see homosexual union and marriage as something that should be shunned. It should not ever gain a status in people's eyes equal to that of a productive biological-male and biological-female union. But that is because I subscribe I guess, more or less, to the predicates that render this necessary.
Of course, the other possibility (besides closet homo) is inadequacy. When you can't have sex, your brain instinctively makes it even more appealing. The result is a combination of worship or demonisation of seemingly opposite things. In your case straight sex as unattainable holy grail is contrasted with demonic gay sex. At the time I was having the discourse you mentioned - clarity of mind became the Virgo immaculata against the whore of Babylon represented by sexual desire.

Speaking of the Virgo immaculata, the characterisation of the beloved woman as being identical or tantamount to just that, i.e. "beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear", is common enough in western culture.
Last edited by jupiviv on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Dan Rowden wrote:Infowars. Infowars. Juicy, huh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn2kuT6Xx8w
See what you and David have done? I hope you're happy...
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

David Quinn wrote: Isn't this too much of a sledgehammer approach?

To put the same question another way: The very idea that the bloodsucking brute, Trump, is capable of being of value to the world is predicated on the assumption that the system is so corrupt and rotten that it needs to be blown apart. Is the system really this corrupt and rotten? Or have too many people allowed their daily, petty grievances get the better of them?

The bottom line is, I am not at all convinced of the wisdom of this course of action. I think we are playing with fire. I can see, however, that a lot of people are wanting this upheaval to happen, and thus there appears to be certain inevitability about it, and so it looks like we will soon get to see just how wise or foolish it turns out to be.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: If too many people become full of daily, petty grievances, the system as a consequence will rot and become corrupted. This is an important element here: society is for the most part not a rational construct (like the human body is for the most part not skeleton): it functioned so far by certain shared social moods, trust levels, enthusiasm and belief. Remove it and it becomes powerless and possibly full of ressentiment. And if one tries to analyse the cause of that decline, one needs to find out what caused the social mood, trust level and enthusiasm to go down the drain. Just blaming the outcome, Trumpism, is putting the horse behind the carriage. One needs to delve deeper into causality before one can even decide if Trump as "cure" would be worse than any disease.
If you wanna make an omelette, you gotta crack a few eggs.

Are we really this short-sighted? Ya, Trump's plans will likely be detrimental, but allow me a moment to remind us all of Bush Jr. The Iraq war cost the United States $1trillion+ dollars over the course of just half a dozen years (enough money, mind you, to render our current healthcare problems solved outright.) His admin declined to regulate the mortgage industry, allowing any and all to get an adjustable rate mortgage, boldly leading the US into the worst recession I've ever lived through. And don't even get me started on Dick Cheney! How's that for an administration? As I recall, in 2000 Bush ran on a platform of reducing America's overseas intervention and fiscal conservatism. He did the exact opposite by unnecessarily invading Iraq, declining to ease or even possibly prevent the mortgage crisis, and thereby forcing us to run up the debt and deficit to astronomical figures. Even today he's laughing off these inexpressibly egregious blunders and LIES on Jimmy Kimmel's late night banality hour without anyone daring to shout LIAR, as if out of a random batch of 200 human beings (or however many fit into his audience), there was not a single honest man there.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with what David is saying here. I do NOT want Trump at the helm of this Man-o'-war. If another major terrorist attack occurs on US soil in the next 4-8 years, then we are fucked FU fucked. If you believe in god, pray for us. If we manage w/o one though, I don't see how Trump could be worse than Bush. I just don't see it. America walks a fine line. I sometimes wonder if people here just like taking risks. Is it in our blood, I wonder?

The system is corrupt, but I can understand parallels with the corruption of the Roman Empire, a government and society in which there existed a significant era of peace, even with all of the crazy, lunatic Roman emperors which happened to spring up now and then. A culture the likes of which many wise men were able to thrive such as Seneca, Epictetus, and even Jesus. I'd say we are living in a period of Pax Romana (generally speaking) despite the inherent corruption and rot. So a crazy lunatic emperor comes along? I say, let's hope for the best. Maybe Trump will end up being the cure America needs. At the very least he probably won't be worse than Bush Jr. I do prefer having a positive attitude. I think I'll just crack open another cold one, hope for the best, and wait for the tornado sirens before I resign to the underground shelter. Let's hope these cracking eggs make a mighty fine omelette, yeah?
a gutter rat looking at stars
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Alex: Pam, I am curious to know how you view your understanding of God, which clearly has a theistic aspect, in contrast to that of many who have written on this forum which is that no 'god' can exist and there can be no guiding or superior consciousness, nor 'creator’.

What you wrote, just above, reminded me of the 2nd chapter of Corintians and that is why I ask. You seem clearly a theistic Buddhist-like person.
Hi Alex,

I am Western-Christian exposed and am attracted to Buddhist thought for its logical structure leading to wisdom of the formless, a wisdom that is also included in biblical scriptures but, of my experience, is not as clearly defined as it is in Buddhist sutras.

I have no problem using the term “God” when speaking to Christians or those exposed to Christian thought, however, it is always in context of the spirit of God (the formless Father) that causes/caused the Lord God of form (the suffering world of man). Since you mentioned chapter 2 of Corinthians, I’ll use it to further illustrate my understanding of "God", keeping in mind that Paul realized the Christ without having met Jesus in the flesh. From the KJV, my explanations are in italics:

1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

As would a preacher, saying that God is this or God is that or God wants this or doesn't want that.

2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

I don't want to know anything of your world of relativism, I come to speak only of the (absolute) Christ in Jesus, Jesus who was crucified.

3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.

Just as Jesus came as the Son of Man, experiencing the good and evil of form, fearing the formless Spirit.

4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

Anyone who attaches form to the spirit of God is using enticing words of man's wisdom, as it is the world of form, not the formless that seduces.

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

And what is the power of God but that of Spirit, the unseen, the unheard, the formless. So men of truth, put your faith in Spirit, the formless, not in the wisdom of men that is seduced by form.

6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

The wisdom of the world is the wisdom of form, wisdom of good and evil, wisdom of the idea of self, none of which, because it attempts to separate the spirit of God in two, is perfect.

7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

The formless is a mystery to the world of form, the formless was ordained before the world (of form) to become our (the Christ of us, the Tathagata of us) glory.

8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Had those who crucified Jesus realized their formless glory as was ordained before the world of form, they would not have crucified the man who came to speak of this glory. Alas, like most of the world (what the men here call ‘Woman’, lover of form, Eve) they did not understand their hidden glory of the Christ of the formless Father.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Loving the Father of the formless prepares one to realize their formless glory. In Buddhist language, loving the Tathagata achieves the same goal.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

It is the formless spirit that give rise to form (things of a man), however, the formless things of the spirit of God knows no person or man or woman, only the Spirit. In other words, Spirit is the cause of form, but when form ceases being caused, form is known no more.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

When we identify with the formless and commit to ending the causality of form (the spirit of the world), we might (dependent on our faith in the nondestructive nature of Spirit) know our Sonship of the Father.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Man’s wisdom (caused by the spirit of God -- this is important) is wisdom of form, wisdom of religion, science, psychology, politics, etc. The Holy Ghost (or spirit of truth) teaches not of these things of form, rather, compares the spiritual path with the spiritual path.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The natural man who is attached to form (lust for a woman or a man, desire for children, dreamer of dreams, desire for wealth, desire for a reputation, etc.) believes that the idea of being of the Spirit of (the formless) God is unthinkable, therefore, foolish.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

Because a spiritual man understands the world of the Son of Man AND the Word of the Son of God but the non-spiritual man (the man of flesh, the natural man) understands only the world of the Son of Man, only the former has the ability to judge both.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

The Mind of the Lord (ultimate reality) is formless, as is the mind of Christ that instructs us thusly. As mentioned above, Paul realized the Christ without having met Jesus in physical form. This is what set him apart from all of the other disciples and allowed him to speak of spiritual things.

-------------------

As for how rationality fits into everything I’ve said above, it is my understanding that rationality keeps the mind focused on the formless and prevents the mind from becoming attached to form beyond the subtle realm of feeling. For rationality to 'do its job' in this context, however, it is important to keep it ever turned inward toward the formless and not outward toward the world of form.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Pam Seeback wrote:I have no problem using the term “God” when speaking to Christians or those exposed to Christian thought, however, it is always in context of the spirit of God (the formless Father) that causes/caused the Lord God of form (the suffering world of man). Since you mentioned chapter 2 of Corinthians, I’ll use it to further illustrate my understanding of "God", keeping in mind that Paul realized the Christ without having met Jesus in the flesh. From the KJV, my explanations are in italics:
Paul Ryan hasn't realised anything as of yet because he refuses to accept the reality of the chiliastic utopia brought on by the 45th and last US president. His gospel proves that beyond a doubt.
4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

Anyone who attaches form to the spirit of God is using enticing words of man's wisdom, as it is the world of form, not the formless that seduces.
He relieves himself of any accountability for what he says, and then goes on to fallaciously distinguish between form and formlessness.
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Loving the Father of the formless prepares one to realize their formless glory. In Buddhist language, loving the Tathagata achieves the same goal.
Here he develops that distinction to give formlessness an attractive form.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

The Mind of the Lord (ultimate reality) is formless, as is the mind of Christ that instructs us thusly. As mentioned above, Paul realized the Christ without having met Jesus in physical form. This is what set him apart from all of the other disciples and allowed him to speak of spiritual things.
Finally, he justifies 2 millennia of Christendom. Trump is God, therefore his mind is as formless as God's. Try to grasp it, as Ryan does, and you'll end up with Christendom. The only valid course of action is to love Trump with all your heart and mind, instead of trying to make sense of what he says. What a man loves, he is.