What's the purpose of discussing enlightenment/reality?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dennis Mahar

Re: What's the purpose of discussing enlightenment/reality?

Post by Dennis Mahar »

For you it appears like that. For a philosopher worth his salt it certainly isn't!
Do you ever do anything but 'oppose,oppose,oppose' cliches.
one trick pony.

The crazy shit is you've looked at my object and assigned a relation to it to prove my point.

WTF?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Diebert: Sometimes we can just point to error and say it's an error, Pam. From where comes this wish to make it all about context and different languages or subjectivity?
This wish to make it all about subjectivity? You're kidding, right? How or when is the process of evaluating (applying value) to things not all about subjectivity?
While ultimately one could see things as beyond right and wrong, inside these conversations and contexts we can certainly have a standard and a path, which means there's somewhere to go still.
Let's play this out using logic. Ultimate truth = no right or wrong way to exist. Genius Forum is about ultimate truth. Therefore, Genius Forum is about no right or wrong way to exist. Apparently, according to you, logic does not apply in this situation.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Leyla Shen wrote:
At one time, the All was unconscious of how to make fire for the reasons of warming itself and for cooking its food.
Oh?

Why would the All exclude the planet Pluto, then?
I fail to see how making fire for the reasons of warmth and nourishment on earth excludes not making fire on Pluto. Causality includes everything.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Dennis is wrong thinking the Tao cannot be named. As the Tao Te Ching indicated in all its verses we have a "doing" Tao and a "non-doing" Tao. A moving move and an eternal moving. But they have to be seen as a whole, including any silence and breaking of the silence.
You've called up an object and it's relations.
A whole and parts.

Is the Tao any one of the parts?
Does the Tao exist independent of the parts?

conventional designation only.
meaning maker.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

I fail to see how making fire for the reasons of warmth and nourishment on earth excludes not making fire on Pluto.
Well, it is the result of your god logic:
At one time, the All was unconscious of how to make fire for the reasons of warming itself and for cooking its food.
Clearly, it didn't warm and nourish the part of "itself" "it" calls "Pluto", so it must still be unconscious of how to make fire to do so.
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

movingalways wrote:Let's play this out using logic. Ultimate truth = no right or wrong way to exist. Genius Forum is about ultimate truth. Therefore, Genius Forum is about no right or wrong way to exist. Apparently, according to you, logic does not apply in this situation.
You must have misunderstood because right and wrong do exist or at least like sky, grass and trees do. Or mountains. Going beyond any of them, transcending them, doesn't mean declaring them non-existent or something to dismiss as old garments. They still appear as base of a functioning, like sky and earth appear to give rise to a physiology or like values on right and wrong would keep giving rise to a psychology or mental activity.
movingalways wrote: How or when is the process of evaluating (applying value) to things not all about subjectivity?
While any process of evaluation remains subjective, when the object is defined to be subjectivity itself, absolute truth or reality, the context becomes litereally everything and everyone. The margin for error becomes just as narrow as the path on inquiry itself. The clouds might be ever changing and morphing but absolute truth is as clear as the blue sky. It doesn't need pointing out but what can be demonstrated is the nature of the clouding in every word or silent breath we take.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Leyla Shen wrote:
I fail to see how making fire for the reasons of warmth and nourishment on earth excludes not making fire on Pluto.
Clearly, it didn't warm and nourish the part of "itself" "it" calls "Pluto", so it must still be unconscious of how to make fire to do so.
The causes and conditions of "Pluto" do not require the making of fire. The causes and conditions of "Earth" do.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

movingalways:
Let's play this out using logic. Ultimate truth = no right or wrong way to exist. Genius Forum is about ultimate truth. Therefore, Genius Forum is about no right or wrong way to exist. Apparently, according to you, logic does not apply in this situation.
Diebert:
You must have misunderstood because right and wrong do exist or at least like sky, grass and trees do. Or mountains. Going beyond any of them, transcending them, doesn't mean declaring them non-existent or something to dismiss as old garments. They still appear as base of a functioning, like sky and earth appear to give rise to a physiology or like values on right and wrong would keep giving rise to a psychology or mental activity.
I was merely mirroring back what you said to me. Given your expanded response above I don't see us as having opposing views. My point is that right and wrong are subjectively absolute, as you say they give rise to a psychology or mental activity. For example, the subjective consciousness of the founders of this board - Men of the Infinite - believe (give absoluteness to) reason as the right value, the right mental activity. But that does not make reason THE right mental activity of the Infinite (defined here as being egoless consciousness). I am not saying this is their belief but given their open rejection of Women of the Infinite (emotion) as having value, it does appear as if it is indeed what they believe. This is probably food for another post, but I do see that it is possible to give equal value to both mentalities of egoless consciousness, reason and emotion.
movingalways:
How or when is the process of evaluating (applying value) to things not all about subjectivity?
Diebert:
While any process of evaluation remains subjective, when the object is defined to be subjectivity itself, absolute truth or reality, the context becomes litereally everything and everyone. The margin for error becomes just as narrow as the path on inquiry itself. The clouds might be ever changing and morphing but absolute truth is as clear as the blue sky. It doesn't need pointing out but what can be demonstrated is the nature of the clouding in every word or silent breath we take.
Aren't you saying the same thing as me, except for what you said about error, which I do not understand. Can you expand upon your meaning of "the margin for error becomes just as narrow as the path on inquiry itself?"
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

The subject is the object appearing.
The true being of the object appearing is concealed.
That is what reason reveals.
Read some Kant, critique of pure reason.

Don't mistake mindless chatter for reason.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Dennis Mahar wrote:Don't mistake mindless chatter for reason.
There is a reason for mindless chatter, don't mistake !
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

The cause for the condition you imply K.
I mean don"t mistake it for Reason
Diebert van Rhijn

movingalways wrote: For example, the subjective consciousness of the founders of this board - Men of the Infinite - believe (give absoluteness to) reason as the right value, the right mental activity. But that does not make reason THE right mental activity of the Infinite (defined here as being egoless consciousness).
Reason is just given as the base of mental activity itself. Like weather is given as state of the atmosphere. It's unclear how you want the infinite to engage in any particular activity unless it's all of them.
I am not saying this is their belief but given their open rejection of Women of the Infinite (emotion) as having value, it does appear as if it is indeed what they believe. This is probably food for another post, but I do see that it is possible to give equal value to both mentalities of egoless consciousness, reason and emotion.
But if "Woman" has been defined, as they do, as a valuing of things which are opposing reason, then her rejection is just the simple outcome of valuing reason. This is different from judging it as universally evil or bad. It's not like the universe appears to care either way. But perhaps you do.
Aren't you saying the same thing as me, except for what you said about error, which I do not understand. Can you expand upon your meaning of "the margin for error becomes just as narrow as the path on inquiry itself?"
To me it doesn't read like the same thing and you might have to try to be more precise. For example when Dennis says "the tao cannot be named", he's just quoting erroneous understanding. Any "tao" can be addressed, it just will not "contain" it just like any experience or view will not contain the totality and yet it certainly expresses it at the same time.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Like Dan said 'totality' is a conventional designation as is Tao.
ultimately hogwash.
iamforhereithink

Post by iamforhereithink »

As far as I'm concerned, enlightenment is progressive understanding of a being in existence , but there are different realms of understanding that sometimes can operate against each other , like science and spiritualism , but now as science pierces into hidden veils , that relationship is getting closer together , the facts are that the human has an outer world reality perception in conjunction with an inner world imaginative perception , and every person has differing percentages of these faculties working in tandem at any given time .
Science is highly important , but it cannot be ignored that much of science has been fed by hunch , fantasy etc
No one can say for sure where every idea and thought is generated from inside a human mind

And while on the subject of science , can anyone please explain how men in loincloths with chisels carved this baby out (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSzIZyPuX8I
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

movingalways wrote:
Leyla Shen wrote:
The causes and conditions of "Pluto" do not require the making of fire. The causes and conditions of "Earth" do.
And neither does your “god consciousness” put an end to them. So, going full circle, and after pages and pages of irrelevant rubbish, would you and/or Dennis now like to answer the question that gave rise to pages and pages of avoiding the question, or do you both want to keep on word-wanking:
Cahoot: If facing truth does not cause suffering, then there will be no problems.
Dennis Mahar:
Yeah,
The seeker formula imputes 'inherent existence of suffering' in relation to life.
As in a fixed condition.
Comprehension failure.

it's funny how 'life is suffering' can be construed several different ways.
Pye's caution re linguistics is pertinent.
Being fluid/multi lingual as a listening concerning spoken or written word.
Seeker: "Suffering" has arisen, and as it stands, I cannot say it will not arise again.

How is your interpretation of something else related to above? For any of your comments to be note-worthy you would actually have to explain how you could be certain suffering will never again arise for you.
Dennis Mahar:
[There is no place where bliss/emptiness is absent.
it's on that basis enlightened being is imputed.}
how many times have conditions ripened and a breakthru' to bliss experienced and after a while you abandoned it.
Noticed it dropping off and take leave.
SeekerOfWisdom:
I know what you're talking about but I think you're making my point for me. There is nothing eternal about such insights.

"Insights" is the wrong word, there is nothing eternal about momentary fantasies.
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

There are no ' the answers'.

you'd have to understand a priori to know that.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Oh, please. Give us your definition and a working example of a priori.
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

you play with it
you have to 'grok it'
If I simply told you it wouldn't be heard.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Don't mind me! Do it for all the other genii like yourself. I always do!
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Don't mind me!
(;

I've got an adjective for you.

scenestealer.
the camera loves you.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Be that as it may, my dear, you'll never get beyond the divine insight of Sisyphus trying to shove an epistemological answer down the throat of a metaphysical question.
Between Suicides
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

And neither does your “god consciousness” put an end to them. So, going full circle, and after pages and pages of irrelevant rubbish, would you and/or Dennis now like to answer the question that gave rise to pages and pages of avoiding the question, or do you both want to keep on word-wanking:
Quote:
Cahoot: If facing truth does not cause suffering, then there will be no problems.
You clearly have no affinity for metaphors of God in relation to wisdom of causality. But some here do. It is to them I am speaking. As I see it, calling such language irrelevant word-wanking rubbish is a clear abuse/misuse of that metaphorical high-swinging sword of yours. Rather than lopping off the head of "god consciousness" with sweeping emotional missives why not question its use? Or challenge it with your own reasoning of things? Or ignore it altogether?

Cahoot made a statement, he did not ask a question, therefore, there was no avoiding on my part. However, I will reflect upon his statement by saying that facing the truth that one is made of causes and conditions and not of a self or ego or personality does indeed cause suffering. This is no way conflicts with my use of "god consciousness" since the God of causes and conditions causes every cause and every condition. Jesus said "ye are gods": ye are the god of logic, ye are the god of love, ye are the god of fear, the god of greed, the god of lust, the god of suffering, the god of liberation, etc., in other words, whatever is your present mentality or understanding is your god.
Pye

Post by Pye »

Diebert writes: But if "Woman" has been defined, as they do, as a valuing of things which are opposing reason, then her rejection is just the simple outcome of valuing reason.
but this is just the problem, isn't it? All hail to dialectical movement (antithetics), but placing emotion and reason in such a juxtaposition is a false one. They cannot be demonstrated in every case to be opposed to one another - quite opposite that in their relational dynamics. But just as reason can be 'educated' so to speak, so can emotion be better understood, refined, and in my estimation the best cases are the seamless non-interruptions of their better workings, their mutually reinforcing nature, rather than mutually excluding. The best of sages that walked and talked had at the very least refined passion and felt at the very most the deepest possible satisfaction of their own sense of arrived rightness with the world. All of it is about sense-making; making sense of and as the world. One does not "do" over and against the other. One cannot judge a feeling wrong-minded without reason; one cannot measure reason without its registering sense.

Feelings deliver knowledge of a value supported or offended. Without their phenomenal delivery, we can't examine this or that value for its worthiness (bring to cognition). Can't find the content either if we just cling to the delivery system (feeling). Then we cannot measure the worthiness of our conclusion without the settled feeling of overall sense. We can't be driven to this without the accompanying passion. The debate's a manky old straw dog.

This classical opposition seemed useful in the days of ancient greeks, but even their own literature belies deep value held for the most emotionally worthy and moving of things. Like thinking, e-motions need given their room to pass. Like thinking, they also need their contents examined. The sooner one seeks the level of intelligence, trustworthiness, of either, the closer they come together, and the swifter one's feelings deliver their wisdom; the deeper the wisdom makes sense.
Diebert van Rhijn

Pye wrote:
Diebert writes: But if "Woman" has been defined, as they do, as a valuing of things which are opposing reason, then her rejection is just the simple outcome of valuing reason.
but this is just the problem, isn't it? All hail to dialectical movement (antithetics), but placing emotion and reason in such a juxtaposition is a false one.
Pye, are you claiming here that "emotion" was meant as "valuing of things opposing reason" or even "Woman"? I'm not sure if anyone defines emotions like that. Surely there are many stong emotional reactions connected to ignorance and attachment but there are hardly in any dialectical relationship with anything I was discussing.

And then you are suddenly introducing "feelings" as equivalent term? You know, for me these things are very precise terms. You can mix them all you want and make them mean all you want but as long as you're doing that, it's you who are erecting straw dogs and silly juxtapositions.

By the way, when I wrote "as they do", I was thinking of David Quinn's article describing Woman as cultural fiction, as value set for great emotional happiness and comfort. Like the search for supreme happiness: "the basis of the thought-patterning and emotional make-up which will persist throughout life, and will express itself as the search for permanent happiness". And then to conclude from writings like this that they are talking about the whole range of feelings any human being can experience would be a case of stubborn misunderstanding.

And if you want a mature discussion about emotions, one should name them and start with "social emotions": jealousy, anger, pettiness, taking offense, humiliation, ressentiment and revenge. Lets talk about how you want these to reinforce reason in some way. It seems you are confusing these things with passion and deeper feelings, reflexes or bodily functions. A classic over-simplification. Although I think I mentioned it before, you should really read "The Secret History of Emotion: From Aristotle's Rhetoric to Modern Brain Science" by Daniel M. Gross to get a broader grasp on which dynamics we're talking about in these discussions and why some ancient Greeks might still be relevant in this area.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Moodedness is never absent from human being.
Be like stone, be like wood for human being unknown.

You use the word god as mood equipment Pam.
like a junkie uses smack.

a sense of belonging conceptually.