Animals and nirvana

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Russell Parr

Re: Animals and nirvana

Post by Russell Parr »

movingalways wrote:Ultimately, for me, it doesn't matter whether the realms of existence are metaphorical or actual, what matters to me is to discover the way to bring them to an end.
I think it makes a huge difference. The literal reincarnation interpretation is both nonsensical and completely unrelatable.
guest_of_logic wrote:Which delusions remain?
The full time job makes samsara quite hard to avoid, and the girlfriend makes it impossible to avoid.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

guest_of_logic wrote:1. THE FIVE SKANDHAS AND THE TWELVE LINKS OF DEPENDENT ORIGINATION (note: this document is by a temple (the Dieu Phap Temple) associated not with the Tibetan tradition, but with the Mahayana tradition (search for it here if you want to confirm what I say)). Notice in particular this quote: "Actually, all sentient beings have the five aggregates". Notice that? *All* sentient beings, not just humans.
Yes, but I already showed how sentient beings are generally defined in Buddhism by quoting standard literature.
2. The 5 skandhas by Lama Tendar Olaf Hoeyer. Sure, Lamas are part of the Tibetan tradition but that's not to say that this viewpoint is associated with Tibetan Buddhism alone; as Kunga notes, it is interdenominational. Notice in particular this quote: "All sentient beings function in this way" i.e. not just humans, but animals and insects too.
Again, you are defining "sentient beings" for yourself but the article does not mention insects I think?
You will notice also, if you research enough, that at times the five skandhas are said to apply not merely to human experience, and not merely to animal experience, but to *experience itself*. In other words, the skandas are fundamental to *everything*. I wonder whether you will be willing to recognize this Buddhist perspective.
Yes, but that's what I've been saying. All conscious experience, attributed to all sentient creatures. Which is a defined term. In how far individual consciousness is on some arcane level connected to the fabric of time and space is another topic (just in case you wanted to go there).
it is impossible to come away from that research with any view other than that Buddhism holds that animals (including insects) are sentient. Seriously, I challenge you to come up with even one reputable link that denies this.
Show me some link about the insects first! Although I know some are holding that view, it's not considered general Buddhism. But even if it was, while I'd reject it, at least I could admit I was mistaken about the dominant trends in modern Buddhism.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

The First Precept does not allow the killing of living beings. This generally refers to all sentient beings which includes all animals and humans. Insects are members of the Animal Kingdom.

In the Vinaya the Buddha is depicted as saying, "A monk should not intentionally deprive a living creature of life, even if it be only an ant" (Vinaya I.97).

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... st_control
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:But when we strip away all medieval elements, it becomes clear that sentient beings are humans, seemingly exclusively.
You are quite simply dead wrong on this, Diebert, and it's really quite astounding for one supposedly well-read in Eastern philosophy. Aside from everything I have already put to you, including the direct affirmation of animal sentience in the Animals in Buddhism article on Wikipedia which I've now quoted to you twice, here's my last attempt to force you into accepting this fact. Here are various quotes from several results in the first two pages of a(n Australian) Google search for "animals buddhism sentience":

http://www.think-differently-about-shee ... ge_two.htm:

"The fact that Buddhists consider that all animals are sentient, and that they just like us they are capable of suffering is of great importance concerning animal rights issues".

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/snapshot01.htm:

"In Buddhism, there is consideration for all sentient beings (versus human beings, as in other religions)".

buddhismfordudes(dot)blog(dot)com/2011/09/29/sentient-beings-and-black-labs/ ::

"The notion of “sentient being” is an important one in Buddhism. A sentient being is human, or an animal capable of perception, feeling, and suffering".

www(dot)katinkahesselink(dot)net/tibet/sentient-beings.html:

"Sentient beings
A Buddhist concept for every conscious being imaginable . In other words: people, gods,animals, elves etc".

www(dot)commongroundgroup(dot)net/2012/06/17/difference-in-humans-and-animals-a-buddhisms-perspective-and-the-new-scientific-controversy/ ::

"Both humans and animals are sentient beings whose minds survive death (Buddhist position)".

www(dot)purifymind(dot)com/SentientBeingsBuddhism.htm ::

"A sentient being possesses a mind, whereas an automaton does not. Any animal whose survival strategy and behavior appears to depend on the avoidance of suffering (rather than mere reflex actions) should be assumed to be sentient".

I could fill pages with these quotes, but I'll stop there for now. When - Deebs old chap - when are you going to accept that you are in error on this point?
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Yes, but I already showed how sentient beings are generally defined in Buddhism by quoting standard literature.
And I already demonstrated to you that your assumption (that only humans possess the five skandhas) is false.

Thanks to Kunga for addressing the insect proof.
Diebert van Rhijn

Kunga wrote:The First Precept does not allow the killing of living beings. This generally refers to all sentient beings which includes all animals and humans. Insects are members of the Animal Kingdom.

In the Vinaya the Buddha is depicted as saying, "A monk should not intentionally deprive a living creature of life, even if it be only an ant" (Vinaya I.97).
l
That has nothing to do with the topic at all. Thanks for trying to think though.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:That has nothing to do with the topic at all.
Huh? It directly addressed the challenge you put to me, which Kunga was kind enough to take up for me: "Show me some link about the insects first!"
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Show me some link about the insects first! Although I know some are holding that view, it's not considered general Buddhism. But even if it was, while I'd reject it, at least I could admit I was mistaken about the dominant trends in modern Buddhism.
you asked for a link regarding if insects are sentient or not

and we've been discussing this topic all day....[sentience]
Last edited by Kunga on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Russell wrote:The full time job makes samsara quite hard to avoid, and the girlfriend makes it impossible to avoid.
I would never have guessed that you had not only one of those attachments, but both! Not with your devotion to the cause.
Diebert van Rhijn

Laird, your quotes do not help you much if you'd study them and compare them more. I think we have come to an end.

I'll rephrase my initial point for you: animals do not suffer from illusions about their own nature. However some animals can display some confusion but it's often just because they think they're human :-) Any other confusion and related suffering they might display does not appear to be rooted in a false sense of self on their part.
Diebert van Rhijn

guest_of_logic wrote:
Huh? It directly addressed the challenge you put to me, which Kunga was kind enough to take up for me: "Show me some link about the insects first!"
It's not a sourced statement, it uses the word "generally" without much explanation and it seems to address only the topic of killing animals, not their liberation from all three versions of dukkha. But correct me if I missed something.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: correct me if I missed something.
You have very poor comprehension. And your arrogance is off the charts.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Laird, your quotes do not help you much if you'd study them and compare them more.
Why, because some of them add a few qualifications about the attributes of animals considered to be sentient? That's pretty minor, Deebs, really, and hardly the show-stopper you seem to want to make it out as.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:I'll rephrase my initial point for you: animals do not suffer from illusions about their own nature. However some animals can display some confusion but it's often just because they think they're human :-) Any other confusion and related suffering they might display does not appear to be rooted in a false sense of self on their part.
This is all speculative. I'm not versed enough in Buddhist doctrine to know whether your speculations match it, but given your previous errors, I can't say I trust that they do.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:It's not a sourced statement, it uses the word "generally" without much explanation and it seems to address only the topic of killing animals, not their liberation from all three versions of dukkha. But correct me if I missed something.
Don't worry, I will. :-) What you missed is that the challenge was solely to provide "some" link supporting the fact that in Buddhism, insects are considered to be sentient. Kunga did exactly that. So, your complaints that liberation from dukkha is not mentioned, and that it's not a sourced statement, are irrelevant - neither of those were part of the stipulation of the challenge.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Diebert,

Maybe this will help you comprehend how animals suffer pain :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDu_yUM8sMo
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

movingalways wrote:
Ultimately, for me, it doesn't matter whether the realms of existence are metaphorical or actual, what matters to me is to discover the way to bring them to an end.
Russell wrote: I think it makes a huge difference. The literal reincarnation interpretation is both nonsensical and completely unrelatable.
Rebirth into present kamma, not reincarnation of an entity.

Do you still envision rebirth into present kamma with the possibility of appearing as an animal or a ghost nonsensical and completely unrelatable, and if so, why?
Diebert van Rhijn

guest_of_logic wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:I'll rephrase my initial point for you: animals do not suffer from illusions about their own nature. However some animals can display some confusion but it's often just because they think they're human :-) Any other confusion and related suffering they might display does not appear to be rooted in a false sense of self on their part.
This is all speculative. I'm not versed enough in Buddhist doctrine to know whether your speculations match it, but given your previous errors, I can't say I trust that they do.
I like this definition: "Any being who possesses a mind that is contaminated by delusions or their imprints. Both `sentient being’ and `living being’ are terms used to distinguish beings whose minds are contaminated by either of these two obstructions from Buddhas, whose minds are completely free from these obstructions" from this glossary.

My view on animals is that their minds are not contaminated by the type of delusions the Buddha highlights and the teaching on dukkha simply does not apply. A little human baby would be in the same situation. In both cases it's possible some physical or psychological trauma is present but these will not be solved by teaching any Dhamma to it. Only through the "karmic web" there is a causal link and this way all of creation will always be affected by any liberation which can happen to advanced minds which in the above definition of Buddhas would not be any "sentient being" anymore. Funny, isn't it?
What you missed is that the challenge was solely to provide "some" link supporting the fact that in Buddhism, insects are considered to be sentient. Kunga did exactly that. So, your complaints that liberation from dukkha is not mentioned, and that it's not a sourced statement, are irrelevant - neither of those were part of the stipulation of the challenge.
You brought up the notion of "reputable" links in that post which I just referred to. And I implied strongly it had to show how much this thinking is part of a "general Buddhism". It's a tall order but I already supplied "Encyclopedia of Buddhism", published by Macmillan Reference, which at least the American Library Association gave its annual recommendation as "Outstanding Reference Source". That kind of thing seemed pretty standard to me and I see no reason to dispute the ability to function as reference and keep digging randomly. I mean we have to have some standards?
Diebert van Rhijn

Kunga wrote:Maybe this will help you comprehend how animals suffer pain
The question is what will help you to understand why I'm not including "pain" as central element to dukkha and its causes. Not more than pleasure or farting.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:I like this definition: "Any being who possesses a mind that is contaminated by delusions or their imprints. Both `sentient being’ and `living being’ are terms used to distinguish beings whose minds are contaminated by either of these two obstructions from Buddhas, whose minds are completely free from these obstructions" from this glossary.
http://kadampa.org/en/reference/glossar ... terms-p-t/

This sect [ Kadampa], is regarded as VERY controversial. They worship a demon. Do some research.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Kunga wrote:Maybe this will help you comprehend how animals suffer pain
The question is what will help you to understand why I'm not including "pain" as central element to dukkha and its causes. Not more than pleasure or farting.
Dukkha = suffering

You don't consider pain suffering ?

Dukkha means there will always be suffering with the 5 Skandas

Yes pleasure is suffering too because it's only temporary.

The First Nobel Truth :

Life is Suffering

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... ukkha.html
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Anyways Diebert, you said you don't think animals experience pain....it' seems hard for you to comprehend how horribly they suffer from the hands of despicable humans that have no conscience, and mercilessly torcher them.
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

guest_of_logic wrote:I would never have guessed that you had not only one of those attachments, but both! Not with your devotion to the cause.
Heh, yea I've been involved with both for years now, the job is relatively easy and the girlfriend is low maintenance, making life bearable enough to experiment with the "human realm" in my free time.
movingalways wrote:Do you still envision rebirth into present kamma with the possibility of appearing as an animal or a ghost nonsensical and completely unrelatable, and if so, why?
I don't know what kamma is, how would you define it?
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Do you think animals suffer or not ? You have a very muddled way of expressing yourself.
Talk straight to the point.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Kunga wrote:Anyways Diebert, you said you don't think animals experience pain....it' seems hard for you to comprehend how horribly they suffer from the hands of despicable humans that have no conscience, and mercilessly torcher them.
Well, since they have torcher parades maybe people do know, and celebrate. Seems backed by compassionate intent, though.

“ASCC’s Vice-President, Emily Beever said:
The support we receive – both financially and in kind – from individuals and businesses across the city is invaluable in making the event possible and in making sure that as much if the donations we hope to receive from spectators actually goes to help those in need”

;)
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Animals can be included under the umbrella of ignorance that causes the delusion of mistakenly experiencing phenomena as permanent. Humans have the capacity to know the present as impermanent and eternal. The present changes and eternally exists.

Do some animals have the same capacity to realize this? If the answer is yes then this would suggest that the realization of the present as impermanent and eternal is either a knowing not based on conceptualization, or it would suggest that some animals have the capacity for conceptualization.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Cahoot wrote:Animals can be included under the umbrella of ignorance that causes the delusion of mistakenly experiencing phenomena as permanent.
Are you kidding ? Their experience with phenomena is one of constant danger and survival....all they experience is impermanence.
Animals are not stupid or ignorant....it's humans that think they are. Animals have their own intelligence, which in some cases are more intelligent than some humans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Sounds like a yes. Now for the further?